Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Fernie!! Sending big hugs your way!! Hope that your MU without the A had no lasting effects! Ouch!! It's as bleak as midwinter here in the midlands, arctic weather at Easter, go figure!!!!: :shocked: as to your amazingly upbeat & awesome recovery,it is only to be expected to have setbacks & so be kind & gentle to yourself, maybe have a bit of a pamper? Mobile hairdresser? Mobile nails? A nice soakin a hot bubbly bath - ooooh you're sooo lucky!!! It will be ages before I'm there!! We are here to applaude the steps forward & support when there's a slide backwards.... We all are there for you! Just like you have been there for us!! :friends:
 
Fernie,

No races here, only words of encouragement and how much you have accomplished and your generosity of encouraging words to others have helped many people including myself.

Wishing that each day brings your renewed strength, Brighter times, and a healthier, happier you.
 
:) Hi toothfairy, I'm ok thx, physio checked my knee and said it was warmer again but just rest and it would be fine :)

She has booked me another 3 weekly sessions, which takes me to mid April. Then she said fortnightly after that would be fine til I'm done, I'm pleased with that.

Just had a friend over who I hardly see she lives miles away, so nice to catch up.

Im sure Easter will be ok, just need to keep my me time in place and not let it get hijacked! Must order ice packs as well.

Hope you are doing well, have got some nice stretches to do to help with straightening.

im hoping I can make good progress over nx 2 weeks, at least I have my slow start if I'm struggling so can get up and go! :heehee:

Take care, fx
 
Dear Kim and Alison , thx for your lovely messages, as you can see, I survived physio and no lasting damage. Really need to work on the straightening though. She said I'll never be able to do proper leg rAisers whilst it wasn't quite zero, I was there at week 2, think quads took a hike at that point :whistle: :loll:.

Finally worked how to get in and out of Bath on my own :yes!: And that's soo good. You really don't even think about thing normal things usually. I have so much appreciation as to how all the muscles in knee work and what's needed to do each movement, yikes,I could sit biology :rotfl:.

Weather, it's about zero today with minus 3 windchill. Now if my blinking knee was at minus 3 straightening I'd be a v happy bunny! :heehee: :rofsign: :rotfl: :snork: :loll: Hhmm.

So, week 7 for me, guess its business as usual in the recovery journey.

Now, how is my Tour team doing?
:friends: :yay: :dancy: :spin: :egypdance: :happydance:

Fernie x

jetthugger livinginfl
 
How's it going Fernie...physio shed any light onto the increased stiffness...did the physio help get it moving again...I hope so but move than that I hope gentleness was the key. :ok:

I had a chat with the young rehab guy at my gym yesterday...just wanted to check I where he thought I was up too. Good guy but still stuck in the 'window of opportunity, must work the joint' mindset. Post -op he said I was doing okay and didn't need to push it any further...and yet he cannot accept you can get their without following his no pain..no gain way of thinking...strange...must just be the way they are trained...perhaps someone ought to talk to the trainers or the syllabus creators about what is 'real' for recovering joint patients. :tada:

Well to day I'm going to have my first ever go at making hot cross buns...my sister has sent me her recipe which looks pretty straight forward so I'm thinking if I make a few extras I can distribute some to my elderly neighbours...if they turn out okay...maybe I should make a little batch first. :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

Should be fun...then I'm off your my massage...have you tried a massage yet Fernie..it's a good way to help that muscle recovery. :egypdance: :egypdance:
take care hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie, glad the physio went well and you haven't done any lasting damage. These new knees are robust.
Excellent progress being able to get in and out of the bath yourself. I struggled with that before my op due to my knees.
You will need to write a guide for those of us who come after.
I will make sure I have husband assistance to hand the first time I try just in case I get stuck. Won't be for a while yet.
You have got a nice number of physio sessions coming up to give you all the help and support you need.
My second session is on Tuesday when I will see what I can negotiate in the way of regular sessions.
My bike training is progressing, 20 backwards rotations today and it is getting easier , less hitching and scootching involved. As long as I can cycle backwards I will be fine. :heehee: :bicycle2:
Hope you are feeling better today. Take it easy and be kind to yourself. You have travelled such a long way since you had your TKR.
If we are really lucky Gami gami will share round her delicious hot cross buns, yum yum.
Hope you get a good nights sleep,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning Fernie, how are you doing?
I hope everything is ok with you. :what:
I am getting ready to trial for the tour team and can now manage to go in the right direction. When are the team trials? :bicycle2:
How are those stretches doing?
If you have a minute let us know you are ok, I know you are very busy.
Keep smiling and take care,
Hugs coming your way, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hello Toothfairy - Looks like i paid a trip to the OverDidIt Club again yesterday :boohoo: - it seems that Tuesdays is my official day for going there as I'm so busy rushing around. Least next couple of weeks shouldnt be too bad as school / club hols.

hhmmm not sure about this knee of mine. its felt really tight and stiff, and i've been trying really hard with my straightening exercises. Had a couple of v bad nights, not getting comfy and constantly turning over in bed, poor hubby not impressed! May have to banish him to the couch tonight !

I know i've come a long way in the last 7 weeks but its the thought of the long road ahead which i'm finding daunting and I have to dig deep and get on with it. Its one thing mooching about the house but now I'm driving, doing school run and contemplating work, its a whole different ball game. Even now, the thought of work in 12 days isnt good. I'll have to go back and just see how it goes.

now I'm trying to pick things up and slowly get back to normal, I seem to have limited time to spend on my wonderful Bonesmarties website and keep up with all the threads :sorry: . Guess in the early weeks when you cant do much its easy and also you really need the support as its a tough time. Then as life starts to move again and you start to try and fit everything in as usual, you find you suddenly dont have 3 hours to post ! :what:

I have a full day to myself today, although I may attempt some shopping later, so am trying to catch up a bit with everyone.

Everyone at school is saying how much better my walking is, but the truth is that ive always got a nagging ache - think i'm getting imune to the meds now, and i have to really think about each step. I pretend I have a book on my head to keep me upright as its so easy to get into slump and shuffle mode! :heehee:

How are you doing? sound like great progress on the Bike - trials are ongoing, always at a time and place to suit. Its quite tricky going forwards and you really feel the pull in different muscles.

yes, i saw Gami's hot cross bun line and thought they sounded quite yummy. lots of butter as well - delish!

I also think this cold weather isnt helping my new joint one little bit - the forecaste is indicating it will stay cold for another couple of weeks or so. Even though the sun was actually peeping through the clouds ealier, its only about 3 or 4 degress here in south London.

Did you have physio yesterday or is it next Tuesday? My physio was saying often NHS only offer 2 or 3 post op - if this is the case, and you feel you need more, maybe book some private ones, surely its money very well spent. I think Pat was going to look into it as she is not progressing as she would like to.

What EasterPlans to you have, apart from chocolate consumption! :heehee:

Hope you have a good day. Take care
Fernie x
 
Hi Fernie,
Good to hear from you.
I totally understand what you are saying about having less time to post now that you are taking up the reins of normal life.
While you are in the bubble of early recovery you have time to post and follow others but I know that once real life resumes time will become a problem.
Sorry to hear your knee is stiff and uncomfortable. Maybe you need to ease off the exercises and stretches for a few days and just let it rest. Maybe your physio can advise.
I will keep the physio situation under review and will certainly consider private physio if needed.
You sound a bit low my dear. It is a long road and it is not easy to keep going. It must be so much harder for you as you have a little one to run around after. Of course you find the thought of returning to work scary, it will be challenging but you will just have to take one day at a time and take it gently.
I don't know what kind of work you do, will you have the opportunity to move around and change position and to keep your leg elevated?
You will do well, you are a star.
You will just have to keep evenings and weekends and non working days as clear as you can so you can recharge your batteries.

I am doing well but apart from exercises and the occasional walk I am not doing very much at the moment other than resting. No,plans for the Easter weekend, maybe try and get out and about a bit more and have a change of scenery.

Take care and keep your chin up,
Sending you happy hugs and sunny smiles,
Love
Toothfairy x :console2: :bicycle1: :flwrysmile:
 
:thankyou: - Toothfairy - I'm OK, just trying to get physically and mentally sorted for going back to work. I'm a PA and my boss is v good. Was thinking i could use a swivel chair, with the back rest taken off as a foot rest. I'll speak to facilities when I get back - there must be a broken chair in the basement they could modify. Got to manage the swelling when I go back, else I'll be bursting out of my trousers by lunchtime :rotfl:

I'll try and keep twinkling !

Take care Fx
 
gami
how are you? how did the hot cross buns turn out? can you pop the recipe down please and save me from going to Marks and Spencers? :heehee:

its funny how all the physios have their own way of doing things, I do feel lucky that mine is definately from the BS school, makes such a difference. As I mentioned in the above post, knee not been happy lately, stiff, bit sore, just grumbling a bit. But, i'm trying to get on with things. Today I'm having a nice rest. May go to local shops.

have been busy making plans for the Easter school hols to keep my little one amused and occupied. planning lots of cake making and Easter bonnet making etc - organising play dates as well so she can catch up with her little friends and cousins, which will be lovely. also factored in a couple of rest days for me of course!

im not great at massages and only like my back neck and shoulders done really. Physio told me to wait anoher few weeks as it woudl be uncomfortable for my knee laying on my tummy for 30 mins.

trust all well with you, take care. Fernie x
 
Well twinkly one that would cause a stir! Best wear your best pants just in case!!! :heehee:
Maybe icing and elevating would be better.
Hugs
TF x :egypdance: :yay: :dancy:
 
thats really got me thinking Fairy, I need to dig out my suit with the wide legs so i stand half a chance - can you imagine pants in the office, (even 'beat' pants! :rotfl: ) - think i would die of shame - i'd have to chuck my boss out of his office so i could hide and get one of the girls to bob to M and S to purchase more! Any excuse to shop eh?

well, i cant belive its nearly 12, have the next 5 hours to myself.... Best get off this laptop and dig out some ice!

Fx :egypdance:
 
Hi Fernie this is my sisters recipe so I'm not sure I the texture is how you like it but they do taste yummy. I did'nt use the spelt flour...just plain old white flour. It did take a while with all the waiting but it was worth it.

HOT CROSS BUNS

4 cups spelt plain flour (white flour is ok too)
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
1/4 cup raw sugar
2 teaspoons mixed spice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tspn nutmeg (add as much spice as you like, the more the better)
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups currants/ sultanas/peel (whatever fruit you like and as much as you like)
40g butter or oil
300ml milk
2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
Flour paste (for crosses)
1/2 cup spelt plain flour
4 to 5 tablespoons water
Combine flour, yeast, sugar, mixed spice, salt and currants/sultanas in a large bowl.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add milk. Heat for 1 minute, or until lukewarm.(too hot will kill yeast mix) Add warm milk mixture and eggs to currant mixture. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until dough almost comes together. Use clean hands to finish mixing to form a soft dough

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth. Place into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until dough doubles in size.Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Punch dough down to its original size. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 12 even portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Place balls onto lined tray, about 1cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, place for 30 minutes, or until buns double in size. Preheat oven to 190°C
Make flour paste: Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick.
Spoon into a small snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until buns are cooked through.
Glad to hear you are feeling okay...swivel chair at the office sounds like a plan...did you get the ice packs? hey with an understanding boss you will be fine...just don't overdo it...remember it's okay to say my knee is unhappy I have to rest it...looking after it and your workmates... in the work environment... will just be another challenge for you ...just like getting on the bike.
Sometimes what we do in our work life challenges certain concepts and breaks new ground...that's okay...some people react well...with care and understanding, others can't change and hold rigidly to those old concepts...understand that is just them. Do what you need to do to look after you, I'm sure they'll be an angel at your shoulder whenever you need one. :angel:

Take care..Esater blessings to you and your family hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Thnks so much fr typing this out, :angel:, I'm sure fellow BoneSmarties will be pleased.

I'm sure work will be fine, I'll know in first couple hours back how it will be . I hav my approved half days so will just see how it goes. I've ordered ice pack nd should get them nx week after the long weekend break.

I do find my knee just wants to hurt and rest after about five most days. Today I've really relaxed and done a couple of light chores around house. I'm making the most of my last couple of long days to myself. I'm keeping all evenings free and only easy stuff at the weekends.

Hope you are well and the sun is shining. It's still bitter cold here at the Moment.

Best wishes also to you and yours during Easter . Take care. Hugs Fernie x
 
Oops typo Fernie, I did of course mean "best " pants. I have edited it now!
TF x :heehee:
 
I do find my knee just wants to hurt and rest after about five most days. Today I've really relaxed and done a couple of light chores around house. I'm making the most of my last couple of long days to myself. I'm keeping all evenings free and only easy stuff at the weekends.
Sounds about right to me.
 
Thank you for the recipe gami they sound delicious. I am thinking about making some today.
Have you tried them Fernie ?
I watched the Great British Bake Off Easter programme last night and feel inspired to bake something nice and Easter themed. All of the recipe's sounded lovely.
If I make hot cross buns I will need to share them with friends or I will end up eating them all, not a good idea.
Thank you for the bath tips. I will leave it a bit longer to make sure my wound is totally sealed up. It is getting there.
Dd you ever make it to the pool yet? I am really looking forward to getting to the pool. Hopefully not too long now.
Lovely day here, very cold and bright and sunny. Going out for a walk. Think I will try my favourite walk round by the river , it is a bit longer than I have done so far but I am sure if I take it slowly and rest on the bench halfway it should be achievable. If I run out of steam my husband can go and get the car and rescue me.
Have a great day,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :happydance:
 
Hi TF , not attempted the Buns yet, may check my cooking cupboard and see what else I need, probs some of the spices..

I've not managed to get swimming yet, unfortunately, was gonna go yesterday but knee really wasnt happy and today i've got stuff on and I cannot add much more to the day else i'll be forced to go back to the OverDidIt club and I was only there Tuesday....seriously, a girl needs a change of scene and the members are usually there just moaning :heehee:!

Now Its Easter hols, i have to pick my time to go as cannot take daughter as i wont be able to look after myself, let alone run around after her! (did i just say run?) Think a good day to try will be next Thursday and I'll pop it in my diary and make a date with myself!

Had a bad night again, keep waking up in proper pain and cannot get comfy, this is no joke and has been 3 nights in a row - i'm hoping nothing sinister is going on and its just the 7 week thing. Im sure Jo said different things start to happen in the healing process around this time. At least i can up the meds if it gets too much. I did manage some stretches and a quick sess for the team on the Bike. Now I have no more appts with OS, its all kinda down to physio to give advice. I do know that if she is concerned she will refer me back to him. I think I'll get to week 12 before I start to panic too much as hopefully it would have settled down a bit by then. :sigh:

Best wishes Fx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom