TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Fernie, ouch, king knee is displeased. :bow:
This activity thing is tricky, the only way to know if you can manage is to try and if you have overdone it you pay. It is trial and error to see how much you can do without aggravating the knee. My physio said not to worry to much if it swelled a bit after activity as long as it settled overnight. She said if it did not settle overnight then to cut back. So far it is getting a bit stiffer throughout the day as I increase my stretches and activity but it is settling by morning.
Take it gently at PT.
Week six, that has gone quickly. Hope OS is pleased with your progress and gives you a good report.
Glad to hear you are planning a relaxing afternoon with ice ( and a slice?) :martini:
I am being very lazy this morning, I am still in bed. Have done my morning stretches and been on my bike, managed another three backwards rotations, still tricky but every day is a bit more movement.
I am impressed with you going down stairs normally. I am working on upstairs and can manage that quite well if very slowly. Coming down is a different matter, early in the day I can just about manage it if I cheat a little by stretching my good foot onto tippy toe to get it down. As the day goes on and my leg gets stiffer there is no hope. Still early days, it will come .
We are planning an outing today.....to choose grout, how exciting. :umm:
Off for a shower before it is bedtime again.
You are right, your post about your return to work is on my thread.
Hugs
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Fernie...oops did you say 3 weeks in the saddle...I'm thinking that... more than my upper body will need conditioning...double padded cycle pants...no don't think even that would help. :spin: :spin:

You are sounding quite organized and almost ready to resume your pre-op life I'm glad it is a gradual easing back into it...I think it will still be a shock to the system but you will be okay. :cheers2:

I'm soo looking forward to driving my car...it's the independence it gives me I think more than anything else...but it is a manual so I'll let my husbands mind be at rest a little longer and wait a couple more weeks. :) besides I don't think I'm quite ready just yet...need a bit more strength in my quads. maybe the stair climbing will help that too. :whistle:

Haha early morning ...here comes the garbage truck rattling down the street...think I might go make a cup of tea. Rest Fernie...we know it works.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fairy and Gami - how are we today?

Yes, 3 weeks in the saddle for Le Tour so we best be getting a wiggle on!

My physio was OK, although I need to focus on the straigtening, i can get zero when i tighten the leg and concentrate but just laying normally its about 1 or 2 now, which isnt good and PT wants it straight as she says I'll never walk completely properly unless its naturally straight and this is my homework this week.

My quads are slowly making their way home again :heehee: and I can get up the stairs in the normal way, better than before and I can just about get down stairs like this as well. Its such a pain doing one step at a time and so i'm keen to work on this. Must get back on :bicycle1: later as well, work to be done there for the Team, of course.

Gami, your manual car, personally, i found my quads were fine, it was the muscle directly under the knee cap on the front which pulls when you go gas to brake. I cannot remember ever noticing this muscle ever before, so it was a shock that this pulling was happening. It gets easier the more you drive, but just watch out for it when you start back again. I'm still doing only school runs and any local stuff that desparate, but I'll get proper sign off with my OS tonight. I think it will take a good while until I can drive distances normally again, but at the moment, thats not an issue as hubby can do all the weekend driving.

Im feeling more organised, indeed, and i'm convinced its cutting down the meds and getting on with a bit of work for my boss that is helping. I've got all day to myself again today and i'm making the absolute most of it. I'm really enjoying just pottering about and being home alone as its quite a novelty for me. And now the early weeks are over and i can do a little bit more, its great.

Twinkle Toes - I found the first couple of weeks any swelling would go away overnight and i would feel good in the mornings, it was about week 3 onwards that my leg would be really stiff and that doesnt seem to go away much, will be intersting to see how your Knee King holds up.

hope your shopping trip was Ok and you got all you wanted.

have a nice day, Fernie x
 
Hello my Fernie friend, I am very well thank you.
I didn't sleep so well last night but nothing to moan about. I had an enjoyable hour reading my book between 3 and 4 am while I was waiting for my pain pills to kick in. Made the mistake of missing a couple of doses of tramadol yesterday. Seemed like a good idea at the time but proved not to be a smart move. It is all a learning curve.
I have had my dressing removed today and now have a naked knee. It is looking ok. Still some little scabs. :eeeuw: I have some hypoallergenic unscented body lotion, do you think it would be ok to rub a little of that in or do I need to wait till all the scabs have gone before I rub anything in?
You are doing well with the stairs, good progress.
What stage were you at when you started cutting back on your meds and how did you go about it? I expect there has to be a bit of trial and error.
Do you have a follow,up physio appointment? Have you been given any specific exercises for straightening? I am doing the tightening and pushing down exercise and the unsupported knee exercise. It is slowly getting easier. I do find that if I consciously relax it I can get it a bit flatter, hopefully it is improving.
Glad to hear you have got some quiet pottering time, I think that is what you need before returning to real life.
Keep smiling and inspiring us with your brilliant progress,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :yes!:
 
Hi fairy, don't rub anything in til it's properly healed and no scabs as still risk of infection. Think I took about 4 weeks, speak to your physio, mines been great with advice on caring for the wound etc.

Hhmm everyone is different with their meds, I took mine round the clock til about 10 days ago. Now I take approx 8am and 8 pm, but I pop another one in afternoon if I need it or take 2 cocodomol rather than I para and I coco at med time. I've got plenty of wiggle room but trying to keep the codeine minimal. I'm hoping to stop morning dose in a week or 2 but no hurry to stop bedtime dose. :shrug: You should not even be thinking about cutting down yet :what: .

Re physio, I've had an appt each wk since wk 2 , got another 2 booked, them will go fortnightly. My physio is great and will let me hv appts til both of us are happy with progress. I had about 5 mths appts, each week, after scope last year.

For straightening, I'm currently sitting with a dumbbell on my leg, well above knee cap, to gently force it down! She said just a few mins twice a day will help. Another one, roll a towel, tight and put under ankle and gentle push knee down and bounce it. Don't forget, I'm 4 weeks ahead of you so knee stronger and I can push it a bit more. I've only just started to do these exercises and also the stairs, don't rush it my friend, you don't want any :gaah: Or :yikes: Do you?

Boss is v happy with my return schedule and said to take as much time as I need part work /part sick when I go back with my staggered start until I'm ready, which is great. He is just glad I'm going back in a couple of weeks. I get 6 months full sick pay so at least I don't have to worry about that side of things.

Its amazing how quick a day can go when you're not doing much at all :SUNsmile:


I do find it strange that one minute I'm trying to straighten my leg then the next I'm bending it! No wonder it's so stiff, poor knee king is confused!

You will be amazed how much progress you will have made in another few weeks. Keep smiling.

Fernie x :flwrysmile: :friends: :happydance: :spin: :yay: :yes!: :dancy:
 
Fernie nice to see you are progressing so well. Can you tell me who recommended the length of time you have had physio. I am sure my problems with my ROm are due to the fact I saw my physio 3 times only and was discharged in December when my op was only October 13th. I really hope when I go back to the doctors she recommends me to have more physio because if my ROM is worse than it was in December at 5 months there is something seriously wrong. Thanks.
 
Hi Pat, my physio is the one who recommends things and she will not discharge me until she is happy I'm doing fine and well on my way. My firSt scope I had about 6 weeks, 2nd one was about 5 mths (pretty much weekly) and she tried all different things from massage, ultrasound to acupuncture to help me. I was referred to my local private hosp via NHS and they just take their time to make sure you are the best you can be. also the fact that it's 5 mins walk is just a bonus! I know I won't be released til I have a proper straight leg, ie minus on straightening and around 130 ROM. As I'm young she is determined to get me to these figures and I'm not really that far off.

If I was you. I'd go back to GP and request more physio and go from there, hopefully it will not take long to get referral. It's amazes me how different the procedures are across the country.

Anyway, my OS had signed me off tonight :spin: :dancy: :happydance: :yahoo: :yes!: :yay:

Take care, hugs Fernie

robynhood
 
I did go back to my GP today. She agreed it was swollen and very limited ROM. She gave me iburofen see if that helps the swelling and I have to go back after Easter. If no better back to my OS. CONGRATULATIONS on being discharged. Now you can drive, have a lovely bath. Life can start getting back to normal. Well done.
 
Thoughts on ice packs for work please...... I have no access to a freezer, just fridge. So was thinking of bulk buying the instant disposable packs (you know, squeeze to activate ) to get me through on my office days nd just dump them. Reckon I'd need one a day at on half days then perhaps 2 on full days, hoping I'll be able to get through all day in say 4 weeks then just use in evening if necessary. I know it's not enviro friendly, but itll only be short term and a melted ice pack at 2pm is no good to me when knee king starts :gaah: And :tantrum:...

So what do we think? :thankyou:

How long should we ice for anyway ? :sos:

Fernie :flwrysmile:
 
Pat, I've been on 400mg ibrophofen and been takin regularly for about 4 weeks and I'm convinced it's helped my swelling hugely. Do take with food though else you could end up feeling :sick: But I'm sure GP told you all this.

Good luck, I hope they work. Fx
 
Super news Fernie, you have done well. Sounds like you have a brilliant physio. I liked the girl I saw but have not got another appointment till 2nd April . I did ask for one sooner but was told that there were none available.
Do you have a follow up with your surgeon in the future or are you signed off permanently?
I think your disposable ice pack idea sounds like a good pragmatic solution to the problem. Have you tried them? If not it might be an idea to try one and check how effective it is before bulk buying them. Just a thought. Hopefully they will be great.
Night night, sleep tight,
Toothfairy x :sleep: :zzz:
 
Hi fairy, how are you? I've used them before and they are quite good, last for about 45 to 60 mins which is fine.

Its the size I need to get right so may see what I can find on my travels before bulk buying. , they were doing about 20 for a tenna, which seemed pretty good.

These Physios! Now my lady gets v busy but she always makes sure I book in advance so she has space for me. I've been sooooooo lucky with this whole knee process from start to finish. I'm seeing her again Monday, the following thurs, then We go fortnightly til I'm done, am guessing that'll be end of may. They just bill everything back to NHS ! Simples. OS doesn't want to see me again although said to contact him in any problems, he was v pleased with his handiwork and my progress :heehee:.

Right, I can now officially drive so am off for brunch with a friend.

Have a good day, can't believe it's goOd Friday this time nx week . Hugs. Fernie xx
 
Good morning Fernie
I like the idea of these instant ice packs. I will bear them in mind for going back to work or long car journeys. Good idea. I have googled them and there seem to be a variety of sizes available.
I think the difference with my physio is it is NHS so limited availability. I will try for weekly appointments next time but will need to see what is offered. As long as I am doing ok I don't suppose it will matter. It is just reassuring to know someone has checked and to get any tips for doing the exercises effectively.
I am very motivated and am doing my exercises regularly so hopefully things are moving in the right direction. I certainly feel that I am getting more bend.
It is harder to assess the straightening myself.
Enjoy your brunch. I will be having a quiet day catching up on laundry. Lots of rest I between loads.
Looking a bit brighter out so hopefully I can have a little walk.
Hugs
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hello again TF. I guess all of my treatment has been referred to this little private place so I've never experienced NHS physio - thankfully! When you find out what you are entitled to for physio, maybe you can book a couple sessions in advance so they are not fully booked when you need them. You are doing good at home with your PT but its always nice to have professional help, especially in the early weeks so you know you are on track.

Dont know what they have said for straightening, but she always put her hand flat under my knee and gets me to use my quads to try and force it down and she wiggles her fingers until i'm straight enough and cant move them anymore - i use this method at home as well. Mind you, i guess this is only effective if you are quite close to zero. I really need to crack on with this so my leg is naturally straight soon.

Going back a few threads to my wardrobe and your sweet suggestions of either Diet or Shop - well, I think I have to do the former, simply have too many virtually new clothes that dont fit, cant bare to throw them out and have no room in wardrobe to buy much more stuff. Ive a few decent work outfits and a few other bits and guess that will have to do during my transition.. Its amazing as when i lost all the weight, about 3 years ago, i went down 5 dress sizes, which is huge, then i dumped many, many years of BIG, DARK, clothes with glee. But we all know that smaller sizes have much less wiggle room for growth, so an extra half stone, means they get tight, an extra stone means they aint seeing the light of day! My entire summer wardrobe was bought at this time and i badly need it again for this year's hols. Also Knee King wants a very long life, not a short 15 year one.

now I'm feeling so much better, I cannot stuff cake and toast as comfort food and need to start thinking about being more healthy again, also its nearly APRIL !!! Need to get back in control.

anyway, enough ramblings from me, take care, Fx
 
Hello Fernie, diet it is then. I need to get back on plan. I have been letting my healthy eating slip a bit. I need to get back on track too. I have not been back to my slimming world class yet. Must go soon.
I thought I would lose weight post surgery but as I have been eating rather too well that has not happened. Oops.
Your summer wardrobe is a good incentive. Have you started in your healthy eating yet?
I am really tired tonight. Think I did a bit too much laundry today. I didn't get my walk as it has been a very wet and miserable day here.
Knitting is coming on nicely, I have finished the back, now on the sleeves. They will test my concentration as they are in a cable pattern. Hmmmm.
Have a good weekend. Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :sleep:
 
Hi Fernie,

I saw your posting in regards to ice packs. Have you thought about making your own ice bags with rubbing alcohol, water and zip-lock bags. They stay a little slushie to fit around the knee better.

I am so jealous :umm: of your driving. :snork: The freedom you must feel when you get in that car and off you go. Good for you and you are making a lot of progress. I am happy for you, keep it up.

Diet ?? Today had ice cream for breakfast with a little chocolate syrup, yep, my husband asked and I replied. Isn't milk good for you? So I do not think I could give you good advice at the moment :heehee:

You sound really good Fernie and I am so happy that everything is going your way. Keep up the good work!

Yes, I know about the leg straightening but I just keep exercising it and it will come eventually. You know the knee rules :snork:
Keep up the good work,
 
:yikes: I had a slip on the stairs last night , o man, reckon I gave myself a mini MUA only without the 'A'!

Sweet Lord, did this hurt :gaah:. Had a bad night although dosed up on painkillers, think I hurt or ripped some tissue on outside of knee. ... Not good, and I've been so careful these past few weeks. It's still sOre but oK ish.

On the plus Side,when I did my 'straight out of bed stretches' today, i seem to have greatb ROM, after my extra curricular activities! Although I'm sure this won't last.

Back to down side, we have snow, lots of it, and it's still falling and planned all morning. We hv lots of plans today, seeing family not seen since Xmas and can't see for another month if we ge snowed in, which is looking likely. I get such cabin fever in the snow and annoyed when plans have to be canx :sad: :tantrum:

This could be a long day.

Hope everyone is fairing better. Hugs Fernie
 
Hi Kim, thx for ice bag info. I need to transport them around so could be heavy and awkward maybe. I figure the instant ones are light as crystals and I activate them when I need them,whether that's 10 or 2, depending on how day is going.

Hope you are ok, ice cream for brekkie indeed :rotfl:

The driving is ok, but I can only do local stuff. It's all stop, start, traffic lights, roundabouts and roadworks round here so takes so much extra toll than nice straight clear roads. Will be good while before I venture further. It's nice not to rely on people for lifts though. It's certainly freedom, but not really get up and go just yet !

:hairpulling: This snow is making me :gaah:, can you send some sunshine please? :SUNsmile:

Hugs, Fernie x
 
Oh dear Fernie, that is not good. It must have given you quite a fright. :yikes:
Sounds very ouchy. Is it very swollen?
I think a very boring quiet day with lots of ice is needed.
Maybe the snow will do you a favour by making you rest it. I know it is frustrating to have to change plans but there is not much you can do about the weather.
You have inspired me to get back on my healthy eating SW plan. I had ordered some shopping and a few naughty things had crept in so I have gone through my shopping and taken the naughty things out again. If they are not there I can't eat them.
Take care my Fernie friend and rest that poor knee. I hope it settles very quickly,
Hugs and a super jumbo snow blower coming your way,
Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom