Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into this thinking I was the bionic woman. 2 weeks would have been plenty. bahahahahahahha!!!!:spin:
 
Fernie,
Do you need some Fairy Dust? I know that darn sleep thing just won't stop, hopefully it will not be much longer :gaah: sorry you had that rough night, you just want that sleep and you want the stiff/ache to go away. Truly, I think we are getting closer and one day we will wake very rested.
Enjoy your friends and outing today.
Welcome Kel, and enjoy this group of wonderful people :SUNsmile: :friends:
Off to the OS today. Not sure how I feel about it.
 
Bring on that happy day! No less than 4 people have told me I look shattered today! Hhmmm, this really is not good. Guess I need more eye cream to hide the shopping bags.

Did I hear you actually talk about fairy dust eh Kim? Did I read that right? :shocked:. How did you get on with OS?

My big outing isn't til tomorrow night, that's assuming I can stay awake !

My highlight, other than seeing some lovely friends who came over for tea and cake, was lowering the bike seat a notch,it was easier than I thought it would be and my knee felt pretty good :bicycle1:.

Im losing track of my threads today... Cant keep up with everyone, so much going on :heehee:

Fernie x
 
Fernie, Fernie hugs...dear friend :friends: you know this recovery journey is like a roller coaster ride... you have just been having a bit of a downer but take it easy and hang on because just as the tears start to flow you're on your way right back up again.

Did you get that ride in before the friends arrived...hope they were the kind that make you smile :happydance: :spin: and leave you feeling happier because they came to visit....no stress about tidy houses with REAL friends but you know that. too. :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

I think our lack of sleep does have a marked effect on how we handle our days. Yesterday my sister rang and said she wanted to take me out and have 'a special' day together...honestly the thought of going out was the last thing I wanted...I hedged and said I'd call her in the morning. My husband encouraged me to go...saying you will feel better in the morning...you always do. It's 4am I don't think there's much open and I'm sure my sister is still asleep but hey right now after a few good hours sleeping ...I'm ready to go :beer: :spin: :dancy: .

Well maybe that is a slight exaggeration...but I will be going nice to spend some time together. :angel:

Go easy on yourself Fernie...still early days
hugs ...Gami :friends: :flwrysmile: :yay:
 
Ok Fernie, my dear biking friend and driver extraordinaire. I think no one realizes what you truly have been through, especially that lack of sleep...is just downright hard to want something so bad and night after night....thinking one night I just have to sleep. Plus all the rest that goes with it.
But look how far you have come, :bicycle1:, pretty soon you will be on your way to the Tour de France. Hey, I don't have time for housework, I am training.
Seriously, I do know you have had some worries but I hope everything will work out for you. I just want you to know that you have been a big help in getting me thru this journey. Big warm hugs for you my friend and may your days become easier.
When you feel like crying, don't hesitate. It is just a way of your body throwing out all the old bad memories, for making place for the new good ones. :friends:
Gami,
Have a nice day with your sister tomorrow. Enjoy, you will be glad you went.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 straight legs? Check!
As long as we can open the fridge door we're ok. As long as we can get the milk for the cups of tea that keeps us English TKR's going we are good to go. Hope youre feeling better today Fernie. Keep Smilin :)
 
Hello Fernie,
I hope you are having a lovely day. Have a lovely evening out with your friends.
Congratulations on lowering the bike seat by a notch, big achievement. You are doing marvellously. :happydance: :tada:
Say happy and positive. Hope you can get that much needed sleep soon, :sleep: :zzz:
Love and hugs, Toothfairy x
:flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Fernie...love the rational of people you actually tell you you are looking shattered... :groan: like the ones who have an IT medical degree or love to recount the stories of their own arthroscopy as if it was a TKR.....hmmm just let them and their fantasy world drift away...our reality is very different my friend you know that...we are winners and it takes effort... if that shows well it doesn't matter because unless they have been here they will never understand. :friends:

Did your friends bring nice cake and goodies for you to indulge in I hope so. I don't have much appetite still but when I had lunch with my little sister yesterday we shared a dessert...which was srcumptious. :cheers:

But Fernie I have some great news I have actually started training so we I can join you in the Tour de France ...yes...yesterday i did a full rotation on the bike at the gym :dancy: :spin: :yes!: . Oh I know I have a long way to go... and as I shared with TF and Kim my husband does think it was my somewhat unorthodox form that allowed the miracle to happen...but does that really matter. I didn't do too much...but it is a beginning and I will be diligent ...but not today. I was so tired after my big day yesterday today will be recovery day...

:heehee: :heehee:and maybe a swim if that sun shines.

take care my friend...the weather will get better as we will and all the thing we want to happen will come to be....just takes time :bicycle2: :heehee: I'm starting small....

hugs Gami :flwrysmile: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello ToothFairy, Gami, Kim, Pat et al

firstly a big :thankyou: for your lovely messages - i'm feeling much better today and been catching up with friends and paperwork ! what a lot of bills Ive paid! :angel: .

Gami - everyone has been bringing cake/flowers/chocs which is lovely and they are concerned for my shattered-ness (not sure that is a word..) and have been offering to help and do chores which is soo good and i've taken bits of help as ive needed it. I've posted a message about your AMAZING rotation on your thread... it involves quite a few :bicycle1: but then you knew it would ! :rotfl: :rotfl: . really Great stuff. Please take it easy as now is when the toughness ticks in, week 3-4... you'll get through it soon, i promise! What you said about throwing out old memories to make way for the new ones - I'm hoping i can dig deep and think about what i really want to do with my life and take stock of everything.

Toothfairy - Sleep wasnt actually too bad last night, i think it was sheer exhaustion ! I can get my knee quite mobile in bed now and its easier to get more comfy. I hope you are doing well, this walk to your physio tomorrow, maybe you can get a wheel chair if its that far? I know my main hosp is huge and getting anywhere is exhausting if you are in pain or not so mobile. fortunately, my little local one is tiny, in fact i walk there for my physio now :angel: . Do take care, else you'll you'll be wiped out before you even start! I'm sure you have progressed as your reports to us are always good.

Pat - loved the graphic - that is sooo cool, i could do with a poster sized version to stick on the wall! my hair looks like that in the mornings !!:heehee: I hope you are also OK today, weather has been a bit hit and miss.. went from lovely sunshine to hail, snow and rain - not looking too promising here. :flwrysmile:

Kim - I think i've given up Fairy dust and snoooozeeeeee wotsit - think its all just a lame marketing hype with absolutely no substance. :boohoo: . Am glad you are OK - thanks soo much for the hugs, I'm glad that me and the Fairy have been able to help and encourage you with our words of wisdom :rotfl: and our virtual hugs etc !

Well..... I had a v good physio appt today, ROM about 120 ish and knee looking decent. Ive found that by sitting at my dining table on a normal chair has really helped with my flexion. I had a really good chat with physio about going back to work and staggering my hours for a while and she said i'm doing great and was really pleased. also mentioned about ditching my one crutch next week and using nothing, nadda, zilch, zippo and just gravity - yikes :yikes: not sure about that. She feels weeks 6-7 is often a vast improvement and i need to wait and see. :shrug: . Did a few leg presses, step up - boy they are hard and obviously some :bicycle1: .

So, I'm a bit more chipper, as you can see from the length of this post.

off for a yummy curry with 5 of my dear friends tonight and maybe a sneeky glass of wine as well ! :whistle:

do take care, everyone, love and Best wishes, Fernie xx :friends:
 
What am impressive post dear Fernie, I am so very pleased with your amazing progress.
Enjoy your curry, yum yum.
Your ROM is fantastic. I am pleased with everything except my flexion which is really not good at all but I am just trying to be relaxed and to regular and gentle stretches in between icing and elevating.
A wheelchair is a good idea but unfortunately they are very hard to come by in the hospital as some people seem to think they are provided for taking home!! I will just get there in plenty of time and take it really gently.
I have my second outing out tomorrow to the nurse, no exciting outings yet. Maybe they will come next week.
Enjoy a glass or three of wine but remember the BS rule, no falling over! :rotfl:
Paint the town red and celebrate your fantastic progress,
Love and hugs
Toothfairy x :martini:
 
Hi toothfairy , don't think my progress is particularly impressive, physio keeps telling me as I'm younger I should be progressing steadily. I'm just relIeved I'm over the initial first few weeks, don't wantTto repeat that Again in a hurry! :gaah:

Could you perhaps call ahead and request a wheel chair? I think that's poor and diff between nhs an private. As you say, take it nice and slow. You may find your ROM is better than you think, not that it matters of course.i know I was pleasantly surprised the first week as my leg was so stiff and swollen anD I thought it wouldn't budge but it did.

Cant wait to wear my high heels but I think that's another 3 months at least.:sad:

I learnt about scar tissue today as well and it's what CAusing the tightness right under my kneecap on the front, nothing to worry and. It will break down, aparantly skin and tendons are thin there.

Ok, some :martini: And :cheers: For me. Hope I get a good :zzz: :yawn: :sleep: Later.

Good night, :console2: :spin: :dancy: :yay: :yahoo: :happydance: :spin: :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:Fernie x
 
Great news Fernie, about your scar tissue & reassurance that it willgo away, something else I will bear in mind! I'm also looking forward to being able to wear heels, something I haven't done for over a decade!! :happydance: My cousin hada PKR & now wears drag queen heels (well that's what they look like) :whistle: Not sure I will go that far as I'm quite tall & would tower over hubby. He already thinks I'm an amazon! Keep up the cycling - love to read about your progress & ups & downs. Hope you get into killer heels soon :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jetthugger and Fernie,
Respect that you are thinking heels. I can't imagine I will ever manage heels again but who knows. It would be nice to have the choice.
Keeping fingers crossed for good news Jetthugger,
Toothfairy x :dancy: :egypdance:
 
Hey TF and Jetthugger (bag packer extraordinaire and she of the babbling brook wee, ahem !) plus all the other wannabe High Heeled Laaaaydies (and not forgetting the men who may prefer a discrete Cuban heel! :heehee: )

I have to get back into my heels, :tantrum: have too many pairs of them, nothing too major, only 3 or 4 inches :whistle: but that could be my mission for summer :SUNsmile: . I currently have (i hope still !) 3 pairs of heels in my desk at work as i like to wear them in the office, flats can be so unflattering sometimes. Mind you, now i have a 10 inch scar on my knee, maybe my skirt and dress days (apart from winter) are over :boohoo: as well... hhmm... didnt really think this through! However, first, I need to lose the weight so i can get BACK into my work dresses...:whistle: so maybe my heel whine is a bit premature !:heehee:

Still, it is what it is and at least i can walk better and now sport "2 straight legs!" :rotfl:

Have some new exercises to do - bottom step - just step up with Op leg, then good leg and down again- dont try it yet TF !!! Yikes, it hurts like :shocked: and I'm rediscovering my knee muscles again :yikes: :yikes: . Also doing very gentle squats to strengthen the quads - did this yesterday at PT and nearly fell over sideways, me and physio just burst out laughing as it was like the Only Fools and Horses Sketch at the Pub - you know the one. Fortunately i was close to the wall ladder so just grabbed in it time. I now have to do them in front of a mirror..:whistle: :whistle:

My dinner out last night... oh boy - at about 9pm, i literally hit the wall - it was like I'd been whacked over the head and i suddenly felt sooooooo sleepy :zzz: and very :sick: and I just had to leave, The food was delicious, i think perhaps my delicate tum of late, found the whole curry thing a bit too much :what: .

its a shame, but at least I went out and it was great to get out during the darkness hours and have a laugh and natter with my buddies :friends:. Due out again next week, but that 6 days away so i'll warn my friend that we need to talk, eat and drink fast! :heehee: .

So, Thursday already - Toothfairy - I hope you get through that hospital OK and to your physio in one piece. Looking forward to hearing how you get on - that is today isnt it?

Have a wonderful day my wonderful BS friends - Best wishes and hugs from Fernie x :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost: :giggle: Hi Fernie, nice to see such a bright and cheery post. :happydance:
I have recently started wearing skirts and dresses after many many years of trousers only. When I was seen in public by my friends and workmates there were universal cries of " oh you have legs then!". :heehee:
When waiting for TKR I went through a phase of thinking "well that's that then,back to trousers " but I have now decided to wear my scar(s) with pride and that I will wear what I want. :yes!:
Who knows, maybe once both knees are done occasional heels will be an option. I am just so used to wearing flats as in recent times I couldn't even tolerate heels when sitting down without dire knee pain.

Two options for your dresses Fernie, lose weight or buy new dresses, a fine excuse for a shopping spree. :yes!:

Glad you enjoyed your evening out and had a good natter despite having to leave early and feeling yucky. I love a curry myself but maybe I will need to leave it for a while too.

I love the image of you slowly tilting sideways, take care when you are doing it at home and don't fall over. I won't try the step thing just yet. I am itching to try my exercise bike but will wait and ask at physio tomorrow.

I had an outing to see the nurse for a dressing change today. Interestingly today she managed to find a secret stash of Waterproof dressings. hooray. Physio is tomorrow.
It is a sparkling morning here so I had a little walk and posted some letters while I was out. Glorious to be out in the sunshine. I am now sitting with my feet up and an ice pack in place behaving myself after my little bid for freedom.
Have a great day and be happy, enjoy those two wonderful straight knees.

Toothfairy x :bicycle1: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie ..how a change of recovery routine lifts our spirits and we begin to focus more on things for the future...so I reckon if it's the heels you want with your determination and a bit of wisdom..that's exactly what you will get :dancy: :thumb: .
My physio told me to use some cica-care ( a silicon type strip) on my scar to reduce redness and irregularities)...so I'm trying it ...you leave it on overnight scar definitely looks even neater of a morning. Physio said it helps to soften it as well which is helpful because the scar runs across the knee... :egypdance: flexibility is a good thing.
AND cosmetically it might help your long term goal of skirts, heels, knees :heehee: :heehee:

I'm glad you did have such a good outing and am looking forward to hearing of your next foray into 'nightlife' with your friends....me, I'm too whacked to even be comprehensible after 8pm.

Take care...hugs Gami :flwrysmile: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi gami, do you need to wait till the wound is totally healed before using the circa care?
Toothfairy x :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom