Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big yes to that one toothfairy, wound needs to be fully healed. I just started putting stuff on last week really and duscussed it ith my physio first. Still risk of infection in early days. Fx :bicycle1:
 
Hi Tf ..yes I think so...mine has been nice and clean and has looked healed for a while now. It's quite a new product for me as I'd never heard about it before the physio suggested I try it. Perhaps others have used it and more details may be available through the forum otherwise it might mean searching the web.
When I had my massage the other day the therapist showed me a scar at the base of his thumb which he had used it on...it was quite palee looking and he said he felt it made the scar more flexible....apart from that for me it's just try it and see...no harm can be done. :ok:
 
Thank you ladies, that is what I thought. I am not going to do anything silly, just doing my research in advance!
Hope you are having a lovely day.
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hi Fernie, how are you doing? Hope you have a lovely weekend,
Toothfairy x
 
Hi toothfairy, I'm ok, not been posting much as busy and tired! Just trying to keep up, think mynlongpostsbearlier in week have given me writers cramp! :heehee:.

To beperfectly honest, I'm so bored of all this now, hubby getting bored and doing less and less and getting bit moany And fed up doing all the running about, although he came home after work last night as Said I looked really tired, so he knows I'm doing more nd trying hard but I physically haven't got the energy to do a great deal.

Am getting concerned about going back to work, will be back in 2.5 weeks, albeit, 2 half days, so practically nothing, but I just don't know..... I'm back to the school runs next week as well. Then it's Easter hols in 2 weeks and I have to keep little one occupied, which inevitably means going out or having other kids over, ie stress and mess in between work, all seems a lot and I feel like time is running out, my 8 weeks is almost up. I'm not making many weekend plans and no more evenings for a good few weeks. Guess life has to go on and i need to start back v slow and make sure I've got time to rest as much as poss over next couple months and not take anything on. Hmmm this is tough.

Anyway, quiet weekend, formula 1 is back :yes!: So can watch live thanks to my nocturnal wanderings! Actually, sleep starting to get better, think its coz I'm doing a bit more.

Take care, hugs, Fernie xx :friends: :bicycle1:
 
Dear Fernie, you need a big hug.
I think you have got a touch of the novelty has worn off blues.
Your husband is falling into the 'its been ages so she must be better trap' it is a well known challenge of this long slow recovery.
Because your scars are healing and you are managing to do more you are no longer regarded as recovering from major surgery but that is what you are doing. On top of that you are trying to take on more household jobs and also looking after a young child and no matter how much you love them they are all hard work even when you are fully healthy.
Could you have a talk with your husband over a glass of something nice and explain to him how you are feeling? I don't know about your husband but from my experience with my husband subtle messages and signs do not work. He is a wonderful husband but I would have to spell concerns like that out to him in CAPITAL LETTERS otherwise he would assume everything was ok and I was managing. Your husband may be getting moany but he needs to understand that this is not a picnic for you and that you would actually love to be feeling full of energy and ready to take on the world but life is not like that.
Now onto work, do you absolutely have to go back at 8 weeks. I am sure your doctor would sign you off for a few more weeks, it would probably make a big difference if you could have the recommended 12 weeks off or even 10 which would let you get the Easter holidays out the way.
Could you give yourself permission to take a bit longer to allow yourself more time on this tough recovery?
Will your husband have time off over Easter to give you a hand with the child care? Do you have any family close by that could help?
Sorry this is not meant to sound like a lecture.
Take it easy and put yourself first for now so that you can get fully recovered and be able to resume your full on role as mother, earner, chief cook and bottle washer, laundry mistress etc etc etc.
Big hugs Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie,
Sorry I have not been by earlier due to my escapades I have fallen a little behind :groan:
I am so impressed with your postings, you sound fantastic.
So happy that you had such a nice time the other night with your friends, what did it feel like to be out in the evening :egypdance: Pretty soon you will be out in those heels, painting the town. Not sure how those heels will do on your bike though :bicycle1: :thud: but I am sure those straight knees, will make your legs look fantastic, you will be getting some whistles as you stroll by. :happydance:
All kidding aside Fernie, you sound like you are progressing well and making great strides in your recovery.
You will have to tell your physio that "King Knee" is in charge, so age does not matter.
I have talked to Toothfairy about racing you and Gami. I bet she has some special bike dust, so beware, the race is on. :bicycle2: :bicycle1: :bicycle1: :bicycle2:
Your making progress my friend, good to hear. One step at a time.
 
Toothfairy, not sure what I'll do regarding work, may take another week off if I can. The 2nd week of the hols, the world and his wife, including about all the people who could help with child care are away. The first week not too bad, I hv some options and will need to rest so can sort something. Need to check I'm still being paid before I take longer off. Work getting soo busy nd although I'm still working from home a little bit, it's not the same.

NOt sure about the other stuff, am sure it'll all work Out. Thanks for caring. Fx
 
Kim, now if the bike dust is anything like the fairy dust, you best start some serious training my friend :rotfl:

It was strange being out and I wasn't really ready for it. Will stay home after dark for a few weeks methinks.

Take care, fx
 
Hi Fernie, I'm sure you will be ok, it must get very hard after while and i totally agree with Toothfairy that hubby's are wonderful creatures, but if mine is anything to go by, subtlety is not an option. :shocked: If you are able to get more time off work, even if it allows you just to feel better & more confident about all of the myriad and varying things that we all do daily. :umm: Taken for granted for doing! :tantrum: hugs to all x x
 
Well Fernie you were lucky your hubby lasted so long. My husband lost interest before the get well cards were taken down. They cant see what we are feeling. Hes even said how can your knee hurt when it isnt there any more and I think a few have said the same. Its a good job we are strong confident woemen. Chin up Fernie. We are here for you. x x
 
Right guys, serious training has begun. I did 4k at level 3 on my :bicycle1: Yesterday and feel ok today. In fact, knee seems to have enjoyed it as straight leg raisers were easier and if I grit my teeth and dig deep, I can get up stairs properly (not pretty though :heehee:). Respect to you toothfairy fo doing this At 2 weeks :bow:.

I see my GP nx week for certificate and return to work schedule and I've decided to go back 4th for half day, really just to say hi, I'm still alive, check I still have a desk and catch up with my boss. Then do the nx 2 weeks staggered, so half days. Bearing in mind, I only do 2.5 days anyway, this will see me to 22nd til I'm back properly.

Have sorted all child care for Easter hols And allowed chunks of rest time :zzz: As well during that 2 weeks.

Small victory, I can swing my op leg onto my bed, which is quite high, and It doesn't hurt or pull, also can get leg onto foot rest with pillows on pain free today. :yes!:.

Hope everyone is well, :thankyou: For your encouraging messages and hubby stories . Best wishes

Fernie in training, preparing to lead my team to victory !
:bicycle1: :bicycle1: :bicycle1: :bicycle1: :bicycle1:
 
:goodpost: Wow Fernie, respect. That is serious training indeed!!! Don't overdo it. My current level of serious bike training is 10 rocking stretches in each direction. I have a way to go before my team trial. :bicycle2:
Good to hear you sounding so positive. You have certainly cracked on with sorting out your return to work plan and getting your childcare organised for Easter hols. Pleased to hear that you are planning rest time, very important. :sleep: :thumb:
Have you had your post op review with your consultant yet?
Well done on your continued great progress. You will be doing the can-can by next week. Ooo la la .....
Love and hugs
Toothfairy x :yes!: :martini: :friends:
 
Ohhh Fernie I clicked into your post a couple back when you were having a few down days and wanted to send big hugs :friends: . It is a difficult time for us and husbands and family because no-one really knows unless they have been where we are...when we make gains everyone says ohhh she's doing so well...even when they get us up and we walk that first day after surgery it does send a false impression to our families that hey..look she's walking...almost back to normal. I don't think they are really prepared for the long term nature of this recovery period. They do their best...as you say then the novelty wears off...I only ever got one roast dinner. :yahoo: :yes:

After a while the roles began to change and once gain I was becoming responsible for the meal plans etc etc. It will be interesting to see how we go after my husbands weekend away. :whistle: A couple of times I prepped and started meals cooking and have left him to finish off and serve and clean -up...but honestly if I feel too tired I'm just telling him the balls in his court and he has to do it regardless. :heehee: :heehee:

The fernie I read your latest post and you have pulled it all together as I hoped you would...you have a plan and that's all you need to ease yourself back into the stream. We usually have grandchildren visit for school hols and I have heaps of craft things on hand...so we make weird and wonderful masks. or spaceships or just fun collages...but our lot love hands on stuff so it works quite well. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Back into training this morning...i will take it easy but might just change the level if I feel comfortable....oh and I tried the stairs...it does feel off using alternate legs not to bad going up but I'm very tentative about coming down. I have a lot of stairs so am only doing it occasionally ...don't wan to tire Newknee out. :whistle: :whistle:

Hope your continue to smile hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Toothfairy, don't know about the can, can, more like the maybe, maybe! :rotfl:.

The rocking is good. I like that as I felt I could really feel all the muscles around my knee and appreciated how they worked as I over my leg . Wait til u drive again, it'll be the same then.

My boss will laugh when I tell him I'm going to do just the 5 hours fr the first week, but I know he'll be relieved I'm back. I do think this will work ok. I'm lucky that I can home work so Imay just split my full days if I Have to for a while! But I'm optimistic it'll be fine. The key will be quiet weekends and evenings for a while so I can catch up on rest if I need to.

More physio on weds and OS 6 week appt on thurs. I can't wait to go to the pool next weekend .

Msy have to change my signature back, lots of bikes :heehee:

Hope you have had a nice weekend, what have u in store for this week? Think mine is quite busy first half, but keeping thurs, fri clearish. Ttfn

Fx
 
Hey gami, good to hear from you. Yes, my posts are very up and down but I guess that's the reality of it all. I'm doing ok, feeling better, cut right down on meds. Even getting a few :sleep: In.

I feel better now I've sorted my return plan and the hols. It'll all work out and if I need to tweak things along the way then tweak I will!

Ive done a big grocery online shop which will be delivered tomorrow, I'm not cooking too much, a lot is just throw in oven with some veg, so easy peasy. This is no time for dinner parties or special midweek meals , basically, it's get what you get and enjoy :loll:.

Hope u are well, will catch up on your thread. Fernie x
 
Hi Fernie, I have nothing planned for this week and I am really pleased about that. The last two weeks have been quite hectic with lots of visitors and a few appointments. While I am very grateful to all the visitors for taking the time to come to see me it would be really nice to have a quieter week and just to relax. I am going to pick up my knitting and see if I can get back into doing that? Worth a try.
Hope your physio appointment goes well on Wed.
Have a fun week, hugs coming your way,
Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Could this, by any chance, be you ?
[Bonesmart.org] 2 straight legs? Check!
Hope you get your nice quiet week.


Take care -- we care. [Bonesmart.org] 2 straight legs? Check!
 
Good morning Fernie,
how was your evening out? I hope you had a lovely time.
Good luck with your physio today.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Dusty One, How are you doing?

Yesterday, i overdid things - ended up making 8 separate car trips - all local, but 8 all the same, over the course of the day and needless to say King Knee is Cooked ! :boohoo: Not a happy bunny and swollen, sore, even had to take more of my 'good' painkillers at brekkie so I stand a hope in hell of surviving PT later. :boohoo:

:yikes: yikes to me then.

Did have a nice time last night, even though i was at the table and my friend was waiting in the bar and 20 mins later, caught up with each other ! my phone decided it didnt want to recieve text messages or phone calls and just as i was re-booting it she appeared! :tada: Managed to stay awake and got home about 10 which was good. I have no more evening commitments now and will keep it that way until I'm back at work and feeling a lot better.

So today is week 6, finally, the apparant Miracle Week, where we start to feel better. After my escapades of yesterday, I feel pretty much the same as this time last week. Looking forward to seeing OS tomorrow.

Now I know my return to work date (not sure where I posted that, maybe on your thread TF?) I can make a plan, although I cannot help feeling the next week will go very fast and then its Easter hols and I'll be juggling again.

Today is quiet, bit of homeworking, which i'm starting to get back into (my boss is so relieved!), spot of PT before lunch then afternoon, feet up, ice on, TV watching til I get my daughter. And I think it will be a very similar day tomorrow! Go Fernie, or rather NOT go Fernie :heehee:

Have you seen our gami is starting to crank up the Tour training? She is even anticipating the 3 weeks in the saddle already, bless her ! :loll:

Stair report - I have found that its actually easier (or rather less painful!) to go down the stairs 'normally' rather than up them. I remember running down the stairs just before I left for the hosp and wondering how long it would be before I could do that again... :what: . Clearly, a lot longer than i ever anticipated !

Have a lovely day, resting, icing, elevating, knitting, posting, gently walking etc etc etc..
Be careful on the bike if you go there today.

Big hugs, Fernie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom