TKR 2 straight legs? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is amazing Fernie, well done superstar.
Have you phoned your insurance company and updated them on your knee surgery ?
It will make life so much easier to be able to drive again. :thumb:
I felt a little bit icky this morning so have taken another anti sickness tablet which has left me quite sleepy. I didn't take any anti sickness yesterday.
I am very lucky in sleeping at night well. Just wake up briefly when I move in bed as I do admit that is sore. Not a big problem in the daytime but much worse in the night. My leg is a multicoloured leg of wonder now.
Enjoy your cycling, don't go too far but make sure you go down a big hill for that wonderful feeling of the wind streaming through your hair.
Love and a hug, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :friends: :goodpost:
 
Good afternoon toothfairy, how are you?

Well, my ins co don't know about op as no need to tell them really, although I may check before I start back properly nx week but if they say no, my plans are scuppered so may just get on with it carefully. Will make sure physio is ok with it. Last time she said its more about confidence that you can react if nec. Will take it v steady when I nx venture out.

V pleased with bike. Did 6 mins on level 2 :) :happydance:And it felt good. Think my bike will be my best friend for getting fitness back during spring, can I say spring yet? :heehee: Talking about snow on Sunday.

I am so desperate to go out and have a wander around some shops, still cant go far at all. :sad:

Of course you will be sore Sparkley one, as you are not even a week out from major surgery... Nuff said.:whistle:
I take an aNti sick tablet each morning at 6am then my first lot of meds around 8.

Isnt it amazing thecolourful brusing that appears, mine went right up and down leg and some of it was really deep purple an black. It's nearly gone now.

Really pleased to hear you are sleeping ok, that's such a bonus. :yes!:

Take care, big hugs, love Fernie xx :friends: :flwrysmile: :spin:
 
Hi Fernie,
The reason I asked about your car insurance company is that at my Pre op bone clinic we were told we must notify car insurance company before we start driving again. I got the impression it was not to ask their permission, just to notify them of the change in your medical condition. They did not anticipate it leading to any change in premium.
I bet it felt really great to be driving. I am sure I could drive at the moment, my husbands car anyway as its an automatic but I certainly would not try at this early stage.
I really think you are making amazing progress. I will make life much easier with your little one to be able to drive again.

I am missing my exercise bike but I know it is too soon to try anything like that yet.
I folded a little laundry today while I was sitting with my leg elevated. I also took the pillow cases off this morning and put the fresh ones on while sitting in bed. Felt good to help.
I am still content to sit around the house, no desire to go out yet. It has been so grey and damp here.

I had a surprise visit from the district nurse today, had my dressing changed and a few steri strips taken off. It all looks good.

It is early days but I feel really lucky so far. Things are going along very smoothly. My bend is not great but I am doing my exercises regularly and pushing to the point of discomfort only so I know that in time it will be fine.
Take it gently Fernie dear, you. Are a shining example.
Have a good evening,
Love Toothfairy x :yay: :happydance: :dancy:
 
Hi toothfairy, I didn't do a pre op clinic, And no one has said anything about insurance, OS said no driving for 5 to 6 weeks, physio said min 4 weeks. Although having said this, I know ins cOS like to know about ops etc but I just didn't round to telling them. Certainly after 6 weeks all should be hunky dory.

Well it's been just over 4 weeks and I thought I'd try, my bend is decent and I did feel a bit strange but do able. Worst part was getting out of car again as I'd raised seat so high. Will try again Sunday.

One of my first help jobs was taking pillow cases off, but I think that was at least week 2+. No ironing done for weeks but I've just been in joggers and tee shirts, Lots of v careful folding from wash maChine! Figure it's ok for now and it's surprising what doesn't really need an iron :whistle:.

I was quite happy first few weeks to sit about indoors. Bet it was good to get new dressing and some strips removed, sounds like you are getting an excelant service :yes!:

Your bend will get there, early days.. :thankyou: For your kind words about my progress, I'm feeling better, knee still tight all the time but I'm getting used to it and know it will prob be another 8 weeks or so before that changes.

You have had a really good first week I think, you should feel pleased.

Cant believe it's 6pm already, day has flown by and I've done hardly anything. It's rained all day.

Have a good evening / night. Be careful if you go dancing ! :heehee: :rotfl:

Hugs, love Fernie x :dancy:
 
Hi Fernie, when I was in my pre-op, they suggested the emergency stop & the drugs were the main reason for caution & possibly notifying insurers. Also, some policies have clauses that can void your cover in the event of an accident, if they aren't notified of any change in circumstances beforehand (they will try any loophole to wriggle out of settling a claim!) :doh: Really glad that you are good to venture out though, I can imagine that cabin fever can set in after a while!! Pity the weather is so grim! Where did the lovely sunshine go? :SUNsmile: :what: :puppysmooze:
 
I thought I would leave dancing till tomorrow night my dear Fernie ,
I am finding the days are passing so quickly in a haze of naps and meds and exercises interspersed with cups of tea.
I am going to bed very early indeed and getting up late.
I am feeling very lucky indeed to have had such a good first week.
I am blissfully unworried about my bend due to having read so much about it on this website. I am exercising three times a day and pushing to the point of discomfort but stopping before pain.
If I stand for any length of time I can feel my knee swelling so I make sure that most of the time my leg is iced and elevated apart from when exercising or trips to the loo. By early evening it starts to feel quite tight so I climb upstairs to bed and lie and read or watch TV on my ipad. What a tough life. :happydance: :dancy: :egypdance: :yay:
I have had quite a few visitors and the house is looking like a flower shop. Also got quite a lot of chocolates. Resisting them at the moment.
I know that the visitors will fade into the background and then I will have time to look at my magazines and read my books.
My major achievement of the day is getting myself in and out of the bath to have a shower without any assistance.
I think this surgery is really amazing,
Love and hugs,
Toothfairy x :cheers: :yes!: :yahoo:
 
:yay: :dancy: :happydance: :spin: :yahoo: :happydance: :dancy: :yay: :yay: :yes!: :yes!: :yes!: :yahoo: :spin: :happydance: :egypdance: :rotfl: :rofsign: :loll: :heehee: could I go on forever YES

Fernie it makes me so happy to think about you driving...one of the pleasures of my life is my ability to hop in my car and go...I have not lost that ability(except for my shoulder op) for many many years been driving since I was 16...just love the freedom. You are an inspiration to me..it won't be long will it just need to stay calm follow the mantra ,be patient and find a few things to laugh about along the way. Yay.

Have a lovely day Fernie hope the weather is as you want it and you enjoy some warmth. :cheers: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hi jetthugger, agree with all the car stuff, I've been cutting down my cocodomol for this v reason. Anyway, as I said, it was just an exploratory expedition !

I appreciate everyone's concern :thankyou:. Firmly sticking to bike today :bicycle1: :heehee:.

How are you my dear? Weather here really cold. Hv a good day fx
 
Morning toothfairy, You are doing so well, you are a perfect example of recovery BoneSmarties stylee! :) :angel:

I didn't really want visitors for first couple weeks but had lots of cards and flowers deliveredit everyone has been so kind. Now I seem to have visitors every day and more cards, flowErs, chocs, cakes! People are genuinely concerned and want to help.

Lots of rest and sleeping are just what the dr ordered. You'll be amazed howdifferent you'll feel in a few weeks.

Take care, be careful, you don't want to fall over your handbag and hurt your new knee when your dancing later.:rotfl:

Love Fernie xx
 
Dear gami, thx for your lovely message.

Ill be venturing out again on car v soon. :)

Aparantly, we have snow tomorrow. Really do not need that. I can't wait til i can drive properly and the warmer weather is here.

I hope you are ok?

Take care, best wishes Fernie x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie,
Just checking in with the driver today, :-). Hope everything is still going well for you. You are doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work,
 
Hello Fernie, how has your day been?
I do hope your sleep is improving as you get more active.
Are you doing anything special for Mother's Day ? You certainly deserve a bit of spoiling.
Your world will widen now you have picked up those car keys again. Hard to believe you are over 4 weeks out.
Take care and have a fab weekend,
Love and hugs,
Toothfairy x :friends:
 
Found you at last Fairy. Hope your weekend is going well. Get your rest. I have been lucky sleeping and resting well.:SUNsmile: makes a big difference how you feel. I have had to go back in hospital for a few days but nothing serious just a uti that is not clearing up. I am getting more mobile so happy about that :) Have a great weekend.:angel:

Hi Fernie, so how are you doing? Sorry to hear that sleeping is still an issue. :mcoffee:
Sounds like your mobility is doing very well indeed. How long did you wait after TKR before getting on your exercise bike?
How are you managing with the school run now that you are home alone ?
I couldn't imagine doing anything like that at the moment. I am having trouble stringing words together.
Can't believe I am tired again, between all the healthcare staff visiting I was sleeping and resting. It was mid afternoon before I got up and since then have been sitting in a chair icing and elevating.
Take care my dear Fernie,
Love,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hi everyone, Thanks for all your messages, lovely to hear from you all. busy weekend ! I'm doing ok, although bit sore as cutting down meds and not resting enough. It's only 3 weeks til back at work so I have to start to step things up a bit as otherwise it will be too much trying to do everything as once and I'll be frazzled ! All seems a Bit scary when I think About it as I've been happy at home, pretty much, not doing a great deal and I'll soon be back doing school runs, after school clubs, in the office and attempting housework etc, will have to keep getting shopping deliveries as just can't lift heavy bags.
:shocked: :boohoo: :yikes:.
Didn't get much sleep as my little girl wasn't well and I'm exhausted, again. Weather threatening 10 hours of light and heavy snow overnight and into rush hour. I just want a long bath but not allowed yet.

Nearely 5 weeks out for me. Not much biking over weekend and leg raisers from sitting seem to be getting harder each day, not sure what's going on there.

HugS and best wishes to all. Hope everyone has a great week.

Fernie x :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :friends: :spin:
 
Hi Fernie,
Glad you are ok. Sorry to hear your daughter is poorly :sick: , hope she will soon be better. It's horrible when little people are ill, you just want to make it better for them.
Take it gently on cutting down on the meds especially when you are upping your activity. I know you feel the need to get back into gear but having a setback by overdoing it will not help at all.
Slowly and gently and be kind to yourself. :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
Any chance you could get help with the housework for a few weeks when you start back to work ? :what:
Do you know when you will be allowed to have that lovely soak in the bath? I want to get into the pool but know I will need to wait for a while.
I am still mainly resting and icing. I did go for a little walk again outside today. Slightly further than yesterday but still not far.
I have to be at the doctors surgery for 10am tomorrow morning, :yikes: that will be a challenge as I have been taking mornings very slowly.
Have a good week and don't push yourself too hard.
Love and a hug,
Toothfairy x :friends: sending you :sleep:
 
Sorry for all your worries Fernie. I hope your daughter is doing better.
Fernie, one thing I have learned lately is housework, dust bunnies and yes, my husband does not clean up the kitchen like I would but I have chose to let it go. It will be there, please take care of yourself.
Even though you brought up the idea about Toothfairy :-), and her dust. I do agree with her.
Hope your night is restful and tomorrow you put your mind at ease. I am wishing everything turns out well for you my friend.
Warn hugs to you Fernie
 
Morning ! I'm OK today and daughter is much better and went off to school quite happily. :thankyou: for your kind thoughts and concern.

Am hoping I can soak my leg v soon, whether its bath or pool.

ive got a quiet day today, no visitors and home alone until 3.30ish. Just doing a bit of home-working, in between posting of course :whistle: , and then i'll settle down with ice ready and watch some TV. have a bit of sorting out to do today but that can wait if i dont feel like it.

Cant really get a cleaner in although house isnt really that bad I suppose.. it'll be fine. i'll just give everyone dark glasses when they come in ! :rotfl:

Have a lovely day all. Hugs to everyone ! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie,
Sounds like a good day for you, enjoy. :yahoo:
I have just returned from "dashing through the snow" to my appointment.
All was fine, now home and sitting with my feet up. Ice pack on, yawning gently.
All the old steri strips were taken off and a few new ones put on. It is all looking good. I was unpopular, she put a dressing on and after it was on I realised it did not look washable. I asked and she confirmed I couldn't shower with it. I then asked her to change it for the washable ones the hospital had given me. They are on the small side and need to be overlapped but at least I can shower. I had thought to bring them with me but didn't initially think to offer them as she produced a dressing that was a better size. :whistle:
She tells me that they don't have waterproof dressings at the surgery! The district nurses have them, how odd.
I have to go back on Thursday and hopefully can then have the dressing off altogether?
Planning a quiet day now,
Love Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom