TKR #2 done

I am able to walk around the house without any aids and feel pretty stable. Still standing up cautiously and expecting pain but not having any. YAY! Pre surgery I would have some pain when straightening my knees. I am trying to walk normally without that stiff legged gait. Knee
Claire56 you are doing great!! Isn’t it amazing how good it feels so soon after surgery? Keep working on the heel toe gait. People are telling me they haven’t seen me walk this well in years. Today is 3 weeks and 2 days after Left TKA

Brusing has finally shown up or maybe I just finally noticed it. Pretty spectacular one on the inner thigh. Pain control is still good. I can take the bandage off tomorrow but may wait until after my shower in the evening.

Went for 2 walks today. One about 1/4 mile and the other just under 1/2 mile. Both were with crutches.

I'm am so glad that you got in two walks today. That's great. Just be careful to not overdo, which is very easy when your feeling good.

I would wait on the half mile walk, you are in very early days, literally, in your recovery process. Doing to much, too soon, can quickly backfire.

No adverse effects from my walks yesterday. My husband also went out for a walk that of course was longer but overlapped mine. We stopped for quick chat and one my neighbors (not one I actually know) asked if everything was okay. Love this neighborhood, most people here are decent caring people. :thumb:

Caring neighbors are such a blessing and are not as numerous as they used to be. How blessed you are! What really good news that your two walks didn't set you back! But, as Jockette says, be careful. It is very easy to overdo in these early days.

Per Dr's instructions I removed the bandage today. It looks a little gruesome but no discharge or anything else to worry about. Posted a picture in the badge of honor section.

Still doing well. The aches in my leg are easing up today. I didn't take the medication for nerve pain the last couple of nights but decided to take it tonight. The last couple of nights have been restless due to the achy leg so we'll see how it goes. I really want to reduce my medications as quickly as possible. Leg is still pretty stiff but the amount of swelling has not changed. The bruises are just starting to get colorful.

A friend came by and took me out for coffee and a bagel today. It was a bit of an adventure getting in and out of his car, an SUV, but I managed. This was my first car trip since my surgery.

Temperatures have eased up and I have gone for short walks in the neighborhood. I am still walking VERY slowly.

My post-op visit is on Friday. It will be interesting to hear what the doctor says about my ROM. I think it has improved but not dramatically. I'm not worried though, I know it is very early in the healing process.

Post op visit with the Dr went well. All he had for me was to work on extension. Also, if I am not able to do full rotation on the exercise bike next week I'm to let him know and he will prescribe formal pt. I am real close, I can manage about 3/4 of the way. Rom is roughly 5 to 90.

I am not taking any pain medications during the day. Only celebrex and Lyrica at night. When the celebrex runs out, I can start taking ibuprofen instead.

I am able to walk about a mile without any consequences. Only use a cane outside for security. Dr didn't think there was any reason why I can't drive. Yay freedom! Gotta remind myself to pace myself. :dancy:

You are progressing very well without formal PT. Walking a mile without any consequences is wonderful, especially so very early in recovery. If it was me I’d stay with what you're doing, rather than start formal PT just so you can go around on the bike. Your bend will improve with time and healing, and walking will help that. Depending on the PT you get, it could very easily cause a setback.

You are progressing very well without formal PT. Walking a mile without any consequences is wonderful, especially so very early in recovery. If it was me I’d stay with what you're doing, rather than start formal PT just so you can go around on the bike. Your bend will improve with time and healing, and walking will help that. Depending on the PT you get, it could very easily cause a setback.
My thoughts exactly. I am real close to doing a full rotation so I think I'll make it.

Well, I haven't been able to do a full rotation on the exercise bike yet but I am REAL close. I am planning on going to the gym today and seeing what I can do. I'll try a couple of the bikes there. :upright:They have several different types.

Swelling is pretty minor. I am trying to use my operated leg to step up shallow steps, raise myself at least partially from a seated position, things like that. So far, nothing I have done has angered my knee. I do ice, particularly after using the bike or going for a walk.

Only taking ibuprofen and that mainly at bedtime.

Still having trouble sitting for any length of time without my leg elevated but it is getting better. There is an event I want to go to later this month but it is a 45 minute drive away. Pretty sure it would be a pretty uncomfortable drive at this point. Maybe icing during the drive would help.

I haven't been contacted about getting my right knee done yet. In some ways it is causing me more pain than the operated knee.:tantrum2: Gotta admit that having the other knee compromised before the first one can get me up from a seated position is a bit intimidating. Still want to get it done ASAP.

I had mine done 8 weeks apart. You won’t regret it.
Don’t push that new knee too far this early on.

Wow, Claire, you are doing amazingly well! Beware of overdoing it as that can easily happen when you are doing so well.....

FINALLY! Managed to do a full rotation on the exercise bike! Actually several. Had to work up to it of course and probably will continue to need to for a while.

I am also refining my technique for getting in and out of my sub compact car :thumb:. Tip - if your car has a tilting steering wheel, raise it.

Still having to work up to full rotations on the bike but it is getting better. I haven't lowered the seat any yet. Getting in and out of my car is getting better.

I usually wear an activity tracker that tracks "intensity minutes" which means a pace of at least of around 100 steps per minute. It hasn't recorded much of anything for months but finally did today. :dancy:

Small gains, wish things were improving faster but I keep reminding myself that this is a long recovery.

I have gone back to the gym and have resumed my volunteer job. I'm pretty pooped by the time I'm done but no consequences with the knee.

When laying on my stomach, it feels like there is something lumpy under my leg just above the knee. It's not painful just uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this?

I still have a little lump right above my knee. As long as it is not painful, it is fine. It will probably get smaller with time and less noticeable.

It's been awhile since I posted anything so I thought I'd do a little update.

I'm a little disappointed in my rom but keep reminding myself that I need to be patient. It was somewhat limited (maybe 100 deg) due to bone spurs and is now equal to and maybe even a little bit better now. Still riding the bike but the seat is about as low as it will go. I have put pieces of wood on the pedal of the operated leg to try and continue to challenge the flex of the knee. Still doing other stretches to work on the rom.

Pain level is negligible on the operated (left) leg but the other knee lets me know it needs help. :tantrum2:Knee is still numb and kneeling feels really weird. I have not been taking anything for pain or felt the need to ice.

I am not doing stairs very well yet. I feel the need to hang on to the rail. The right knee isn't helping.

The knee is still stiff and I am still walking a bit like a toy soldier. I can feel some tender spots around the kneecap. They feel like bruses. When I'm on my walks I will have a slight pain behind my knee and below my kneecap. The one below my kneecap lessens after I have walked a while. I am still "using" a cane when going for a walk but not otherwise.

I am on the waiting list for surgery on my right knee but don't think it will happen before February. I will be seeing the surgeon next week for my 3 month checkup.

I am grateful for this forum. I think this experience would have been a lot more stressful without it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft