Guest viewing is limited

TKR #2 done

Your first knee scar looks very much like my second one, dark purple. I'm 19 weeks post-op, pretty close to your 22 weeks.
 
Googled leg warmers and of course Amazon came up. @hawk2go I imagine they would be real easy to make.
 
I used to have a pair of leg warmers! It's about time for those to come back in style, right??? :eyebrows:
 
I found a pattern for these. DM me if you want it. It's a free pattern, so no cost
-
1643062527405.png
 
Last edited:
Still doing pretty well. Having a bit of itching around the incision. I am real careful to not scratch the incision and of course it's better not to scratch at all. The skin looks fine so I don't think it is an allergic reaction. I suspect it is nerves being irritated.

Brusing is starting to fade but I still have several that are pretty dark. Having various aches but not much pain.

I can lift my leg better now, I find it helps to straighten my knee then lift the leg. Still walking stiffly. I have walked outside. I mentioned earlier that there are no sidewalks in my neighborhood but walking in the street is pretty safe. The streets are snowy but not slippery. I think walking should be good until we have a thaw and it freezes.

I've tried getting into my car and was successful but don't think I can move my foot between the gas and brake pedal comfortably enough to be safe driving.

Continuing with the exercises for both knees and icing the newest one.
 
@Claire56 - so glad you're doing well. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet, so all that you mention sounds typical. I still get some itching and I also try not to scratch so those deep tissues can heal (but it's tough). I had a huge bruise on my outer calf that stayed with me for several weeks, lots of tissue was disturbed during the surgery. My inner calf muscle had a divot but that muscle is nice and full now. The weird non-knee impacts of this surgery are really interesting. I watched a version of the surgery and read my surgical notes, so I have a really good idea of what went on - wowza.

If you are pain-free, do a little dance, very little :). Most people are dealing with pain for months. Walking normally will come along with time. In the meantime, be sure to stay safe and use your devices, if you need to for balance and correct gait. This is a marathon, slow and steady wins this race.
 
The itching I was having has developed into a rash/hives. I am scheduled for my follow-up appointment tomorrow so we will see what the doctor says about it. In the meantime I'm using an antihistamine cream around the incision.
 
@Claire56, it sounds like your itching was not like my itching. :console2:

I've heard some members who had a reaction to the bandage adhesive. Be sure to let us know what the doctor suggests.
 
@hawk2go I suspect I've become sensitive to the surgical glue. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. Fortunately the itching isn't intense.
 
I developed a large rash around my incision shortly after the replacement, the head nurse said that 80 percent of patient are allergic to the band aid used
Not only did I use anti-histamine cream, I found Ice :ice: was my saviour, just make sure you place a cloth on your leg first, Wine coolers especially the ones with velcro are brilliant as they wrap around the knee xx
 
Surgeon seemed to agree with me that the surgical glue is the likely cause of my rash. He said I can take a wet wash cloth to it gently and remove any glue that is loose. I asked if I could put the anti itch cream on the incision and he said to give it another week before doing that.

He seemed very pleased with my progress on both knees. X-rays looked good.
 
Hi @Claire56 , pretty awesome recoveries! Are you finding the second go round easier to deal with - physically and mentally - after having gone through the first? Are there any major "lessons learned" from #1 that you're applying now?

I'm hoping to get my second knee replacement scheduled sometime next month and have a number of lessons I think I've learned from #1 that I'm hoping will help with #2.

Thanks and all the best for continuing your fantastic progress!
 
@glidefloss I'm finding knee #2 a little more wearing mentally. I think mostly because I am still working on improving range of motion on knee #1 while also working on #2. Doesn't help that I live in the snowy Midwest and getting out is more difficult. My day revolves around the various exercises.:tiredwheel:

Physically the second knee has been a little easier starting with greater rom to start with. Pain level about the same. That said, I chose the worst knee to do first. I'm sure the moderators will caution against comparing knees, don't get discouraged.

Actually I am doing very well but I can't wait to get back to normal. This is definitely a long recovery. I keep reminding myself to be patient.:praying:
 
@Claire56 my worst defect is that from the beginning I compared my knees, checking up on my past BoneSmart notes, big mistake...I have now stopped as its was not helping, my first replacement seemed to have been easy compared to this one, on reflection at the time both knees needed replacing, but here in Portugal they don't do bilateral and we must wait 2 years between surgeries, so my right knee, supported my left even thou it was deteriorating, for this reason the replacement was more complicated and my recovery far more difficult and different to my left knee.
Totally agree with you I'm so looking forward to having my life back, but right now I'm learning patience x
 
Thanks for your response @Claire56 ... I'll prepare myself to expect more mentally challenging days - regardless of how well (or not) the 2nd knee does physically post-op.

@Sara61 , I know your advice not to compare is a very good one ... but I must be a glutton for punishment as I've already set up a new soon-to-be-used 2nd knee log for easy comparison with the first when the time comes. :sad:

Patience is a hard lesson to learn! Maybe it's a good thing that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today ... at least another 6 weeks of winter.
 
Drove for the first time today and it was OK. Went to my volunteer gig which also went OK but now am ready to chill out.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom