Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@Alitm just edited the above post to include the episode name so you can find it amongst the series, as "Dirty Money" is a compilation of about 10 episodes on corruption in different businesses. Great series by the way too.
 
I will have to find that documentary too. Thanks..Although back at work with increasing hours so less time to indulge..
 
Nothing at all to do with hips but another of the strange new things today's midwives don't like for babies is honey! I'm constantly baffled by the granddaughter being forbidden things which I gaily imposed on her very healthy father! What can be wrong with organic honey? (or tummy sleeping or cot bumpers or starting weaning at 4 months?) I did it all wrong...:umm:
But great news @1stSurgery ! Enjoy those waffles!
 
Nothing at all to do with hips but another of the strange new things today's midwives don't like for babies is honey! I'm constantly baffled by the granddaughter being forbidden things which I gaily imposed on her very healthy father! What can be wrong with organic honey? (or tummy sleeping or cot bumpers or starting weaning at 4 months?) I did it all wrong...:umm:
But great news @1stSurgery ! Enjoy those waffles!
It is baffling @bickypeg but I think the upcoming generations have been a bit misled about some of these things. I hear mother's breast milk being made to sound like something to be avoided...in lieu of formula with artificial ingredients. Plus raising a child today -in a much more toxic world- requires more, not less, natural remedies to keep them healthy and afloat! Species been around a very long time with those older tried and true ways.. OK, yes, good that we added things like plumbing, sanitation and hand washing along the way, but I'm with you on less invasive and more natural, as we are designed, interventions.

Unless we're talking arthritic hips that is!!

Then... I'm all about invading, destroying and rebuilding! <---(See how I did that?! Right back on topic...) :)
 
A world gone mad. As a mom who breast fed both of my children, I can't imagine it any other way.
Haven't read / heard this new train of thought on breast feeding vs formula. I wouldn't buy it anyway.
It's amazing we (and our babies) survived organic honey, bumper pads in cribs and tummy sleeping.

Hope you had a nice overnight @1stSurgery Wishing you a lovely Sunday!
 
Thanks @Layla I had a great night! Crab cakes with wasabi sauce and avocado tomato salad and a special glass of red wine! Since I was able to go off pain meds a few days ago, I found myself with a touch of jittery nerves after effects and the wine was a perfect antidote, conked me out at 11pm, slept 8 hrs straight! My improvement has been marked and the curve surprising even to me. I think part of it, besides the steroid that knocked down the pain, is good eating and rest and sleeping. I was lucky this time in those departments that nothing got too disturbed. Even the awful knee and ankle swelling and bruising and pain has nearly gone away totally. Next stage is to get some kind of gait and better walking going but all in all, I'm so happy to be on the other side of the other side!
 
And... Have added a few more minutes per day to the daily walks ..it's been relatively easy, (indoors flat surfaces..) I'm at 15 mins per walk now, which OS had said to be at tomorrow. Still wet and gloomy outside so circles in the living room has become my "track" and field for the time being.

Watching the body take on such a deep and complex mission as healing -after the kind of assault that it just withstood; from the incredible hulk's dislo handiwork to the cutting, reaming, sawing, hammering...it never ceases to amaze! If we just allow our body's systems to go ahead and take on the missions they're designed for.... Incredible things can happen. I find it remarkable that I was -just a few weeks ago - totally broken, sobbing in severe pain, unable to walk or weight bear on right leg at all and every slight move caused even more pain. And today I'm walking around the house, fixing meals, cleaning and feeling only a little achy and stiff.

:happydance::yay::wave:

Anyways, I wanted to report from the other side of that turned corner, where things are pretty rosy... for now. And provide some hope to those just about to turn the corner. Aware it can turn again - (committed that recovery roadmap to memory!) Aware also there's a good chance next weekend's work events could well land me smack in the lobby of the ODIC Inn! (At least I will have good company, if so...) But I plan to protect and guard against the over-do lure, and to rest / ice at every opportunity possible. Hip healing comes first. Hip healing comes first. Keep repeating.

Wishing all recovering hippys a corner to turn like I recently enjoyed!
 
Last edited:
Good to hear @bickypeg - wishing I could wave the magic hippy wand so everyone could turn that corner.
And now the sun is even coming out so I can go outside for a bit!
:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

@EL11 if you're out there, big game today, Astros were a tough force to beat yesterday. Will be a nail-biter today again, I'm sure.
:scaredycat:
 
Hippys!! I found a great resource site to look into our US hospital "ratings", not unlike restaurant ratings, founded by a non-profit group of medical professionals, by weighing reported incidents of safety, infection, malpractice etc etc. It's a US metric so you can enter your city and/or state to get the full list. Then each page for each hospital goes into details and grades A-F on what each hospital earned in that category. It's quite detailed. And shows year over year ratings so you can see if your hospital is trending better or worse currently.

Say, there are not adequate numbers of nursing staff ...or each different type of post op complication one might encounter is listed. Even the level of doctor patient care and communications the discharge and meds communications. If the hospital refused to report any of its data on any given issue --that too is noted. Which is telling.

I was surprised by the local results. Found my hospital was year over year almost always rated A or B in all categories (but I'd done research to find the best one) but also saw one of the most respected hospitals in town was rated a paltry C! And did poorly with that clostridium difficile infection or however it's spelled. This one, and I won't name any names, is generally believed by everyone to be the best in town and I believe is the best funded. A "C" is not a very good score. Which shows you how advertising can trump data. I will say I know many who went to hospital "C" and ended up with some kind of infection, one even had a bad MERSA case, so I've been afraid of it since.

Also found one prominent University hospital earned a very low score and their particular shortcoming was leaving sponges and items inside the body during surgery! Only lovesstars emoji will suffice here!!
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Here's the link for US people if you want to see how your hospital scores

https://www.hospitalsafetygrade.org
 
Last edited:
From an article at the hospital ranking website (think it's 2017 data):

"Oregon, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Wisconsin and Idaho showed the most improvement over the five-year period since the inception of the Hospital Safety Grade, with the most dramatic being Rhode Island, which was ranked 50th in 2012 and ranked first today. Other states with significant improvement include Oregon, going from 48th in 2012 to eighth today, Hawaii from 36th to third, Wisconsin from 44th to sixth, and Idaho from 19th to fourth.

One state appears on the state rankings for the first time today, the state of Maryland. Maryland had previously been the only state unable to be graded due to an exemption from reporting key safety metrics at the national level. Unfortunately, Maryland ranked fourth from the bottom.

Of the 44 hospitals graded in Maryland, just one (2.3%), Howard County General Hospital in Columbia, earned an “A”.

“Errors and infections in hospitals are the third leading cause of death in America, and people deserve to know which of their hospitals are best at preventing them,” said Binder.

She noted that one of the factors contributing to the improvement among these states is local organizations rallying around broader improvements in health care. For example, Oregon, Hawaii, and Wisconsin all have active coalitions dedicated to patient safety within their local communities and hospitals.

Additional findings include:

  • Of the 2,632 hospitals graded in today’s update, 832 earned an “A,” 662 a “B,” 964 a “C,” 159 a “D” and 15 an “F”
  • Hospitals with “F” grades are located in California, :yikes: Washington D.C., Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, and New York
  • Impressively, 59 hospitals nationwide have achieved an “A” in every scoring update since the launch of the Safety Grade in Spring 2012
  • The five states with the highest percentage of “A” hospitals this fall are Rhode Island, Maine, Hawaii, Idaho and Virginia
  • The five states with the lowest percentage of “A” hospitals this fall are North Dakota, Washington D.C., Delaware, Maryland and New York"
 
Interesting, @1stSurgery
I keep getting something saying it will be refreshed in mid October.
 
@1stSurgery That was a powerful image, sobbing in pain and then ... so
Much better! Great to read about your progress. Really one of your best posts!

Yeah, no kidding about the Astros. They are fierce.

I have a busy week generally but also want to do the right amount of walking and pt to move forward. It’s the one-month mark for me too. Hoping to be crutch-free soon, but twice this week I tweaked my leg a bit by taking a step with the wrong foot leading.
 
Interesting, @1stSurgery
I keep getting something saying it will be refreshed in mid October.
I don't know @Layla, it works fine for me?? Really an interesting and informative site. I am glad I didn't find some awful "D" score for my hospital after the fact! They should have those letters at the front door like in restaurants!!
 
Sorry about those Astros @EL11! It is an exciting game though, you have to admit. I am getting nothing done!! I am hoping to get off the cane this next week as well. I found myself doing one of those absent minded walks in the kitchen earlier across the floor to the back door then back to the cupboard then the fridge and then I realized... my walker was parked in the corner and I had forgotten about it. It was strange. OMG Boston is running around the bases like wild right now!! Gonzales just crashed his whole body against the wall trying to catch the ball - he's hurt!
Sorry to be off track but watching while typing....

OK good luck on the one month to us both, I think we are steps away from our first dance!! No more leg tweaking!!
 
Happy Almost One Month You Two, @EL11 and @1stSurgery!

Wow, only a little bit achy, @1stSurgery?!
That’s miraculous!
I am so so so so so grateful that you are better!!!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks @lovesstars It feels somewhat miraculous honestly. I mean I have always had this super fast healing body and that's just luck of the draw I guess but when things looked so dismal the first weeks after right hip I thought I had lost the mojo! I told hubby today after my walk that the hip pain is about a 2 if I focus on it. That's huge progress! You take care and hope the wedding Skype goes/ went well!
 
Back
Top Bottom