Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

For posterity... a 3 week update since it has been 3 wks since righty was reconstructed. And the first two were hell weeks so they don't count!

Today is good, was able to go to bed last night with zero pain meds, which made me very happy. Yesterday's pain protocol was mainly ice ...ice ....and more ice. I think the pain corner was turned a few days back after a week of the steroid meds and everything else seems to be following suit nicely now.

I use Walker to scoot around places in the house with speed (!) but also using cane and sometimes just... Plain...Walking. Only when it's short distances - I'm kind of busy now so it just saves time rather than searching where a nearby walking device is. The walking is pretty pain free, just mild aches and stiffness.

Slept very well until 7am -- no problems there. Was afraid I'd become reliant on the oxy for sleep but that's been proven wrong thankfully. Still a touch foggy and some jittery from the after effect I think. Was able to tackle bills and business for a few hrs this morning so far with no real issues. I'm somewhat astonished by how well and quickly things have improved. I feel much more aligned with where I was in last recovery in week 2 as opposed to week 3 ....but didn't have the big pain hurdles to jump over last time.

So that's what three weeks looks like from here. Goal this weekend is to start really working on getting gait and walking heel toe better perfected. Only drawback to all this healing... I kind of miss having my butler aka hubby bring me meals... A small concession to make though!

Happy Friday to all!
 
OH thanks @NanaKP I hope you can experience a similar turnaround as well. They can happen really fast just ...when you think you've made no progress and all of a sudden you wake up one day and it's truly...a new day! With a new hip! I think the healing speed is very stop / start, slow / fast and irregular with this surgery. I now have one week to get myself as close to normal as possible for some prior commitments made way before surgery. It's going to be a challenge but at least that corner was turned now and the pain has taken leave. I also found going to sleep with healing meditation tapes to be helpful if you haven't tried that. At low volume.

Take care and best of luck in your healing!
 
@1stSurgery I have been lurking on your thread, following your story. I am so happy you have turned the corner. May your recovery proceed smoothly from here. Strength to you.

@Alitm wow, What a beautiful [emoji237] horse!
How sweet @Harryn1! Thanks so much! I think the squiggly recovery lines are about to get a little less squiggly from here on. Sweet feeling, I must say!! Strength to you as well Harry!
 
So this, combined with Bo Jackson's hip, means I still have a chance at the majors... all I have to do is learn to do baseball things! Can't be that hard.
@JoeKnows I'm really interested in the Bo Jackson hip story but too lazy to search it! Do you happen to know if they ever made a documentary or film about it? Would love to see one if so. Thx
 
STOP, stop the madness :heehee:
First, I brought up the crazy occular migtaines here because I never met anyone who knew what I was talking about when I explained them. Then there was YOU.

I've had this thing for the last few years where I always glance at the time at 3:33....It kind of bothered me, initially. When it happens I'll think to myself - Well of course it's 3:33, why do I even look at the clock. I've sent screen shots of 3:33 to my son when I've looked at my cell to see the time, sent him pics of my car radio showing 3:33. The clock at home 3:33. Its become a joke of sorts.

Hi @Layla I've only had one of those strange migraines with the flashing zigzag lights and was frightened it was the start of a torn retina. Very scary. But before my op I regularly woke at 3.10 and did so for a long time. I'm sure there's a ghost story about a similar occurrence and of course something nasty happens eventually...I wake so often now but just after my op if I woke at say 2.30 I'd fall asleep at 2.30 in the afternoon.
 
@JoeKnows I'm really interested in the Bo Jackson hip story but too lazy to search it! Do you happen to know if they ever made a documentary or film about it? Would love to see one if so. Thx

I believe ESPN did a 30 for 30 about him. Not sure if that's available anywhere online though (a search turned up some links, but they're a little suspect and I don't want to send you to a shady website, haha).
 
Last night -out of the blue - the sky lit up with huge lightning flashes and roared with massive thunder.... Sending kitty scampering under the bed...And it's been raining since. Very uncharacteristic LA weather. I take it as a sign I should have a waffle for breakfast. I am officially declaring this to be .. Waffle Weather. And besides its a good excuse for gobs of melted Kerrygold butter and hot pure maple syrup.

Slept beautifully for 8 hrs! Did not need meds again for bedtime ...so that's a nice new shift in recovery progress. The ice machine was my medication yesterday and kept up with any pain and stiffness that cropped up. Looks like the walk on the deck will be off limits today with the rain.

Hope all hippys have a restful healing weekend and now.... it's waffle time. :happydance:

Maybe with yogurt, sliced banana and pecans.... I've noticed the steroid med makes me ravenous. I'm eating us out of food in the house! Keep telling hubby my bone builders are working hard and need fuel! :)
 
Last edited:
@bickypeg A slight derail but 1stSurgery won't mind :wink:
That first one does throw you for sure. To me it looked like a jagged broken mirror was flashing non stop.
You can't help but feel fearful that your eyesight is in jeopardy. I phoned my eye doctor right away, in a panic and a nurse reassured me. Somewhere in this thread, 1stSurgery, explains her experience and while not funny, it was funny the way she explained it....imagine that! She puts a humorous spin on everything.
Sounds like that "time" thing may be more common than we'd imagine. Either that.....or we're all just a little nuts :heehee:

@1stSurgery
Did you ever read the actress Jane Kaczmarek's hip story? She had both replaced. Google it, there are videos and you'll be able to relate to her symptoms and realizations.
I hope you're still doing well and have a beautiful day in sunny Cali.
Hugs
 
Things are going very well @SurreyGirl thanks! I'm such a maple syrup fan! One Christmas my husband got me a collection of pure maple syrups in beautiful bottles, lasted the whole year.

Saw a fascinating documentary on the Canadian maple syrup business recently (Netflix of course) Can't recall the name, but it was about the sizable underground black market maple syrup trade in Canada! Who knew? Apparently the Canadian government regulates the industry tightly and has national ownership claim to the syrup that the farmers produce, to the dismay of some of the farmers who want to be independent contractors. They have huge warehouses, stockpiling syrups, like the Ft Knox of maple syrup. It's like a currency and taken very seriously. And how does this tie into THR??....

Had I not had the hip surgery.... I would not have been laying around in bed, on ice, watching long hours of documentaries about maple syrup. And I'd still be uninformed about the Canadian black market trade in maple syrup!! See how enriching surgery can be!
 
I love the way you tie every post into hip surgery!!!

Mmmm now here goes. Manuka honey is good for healing wounds, maybe there is a specialist maple syrup that does the same
 
Last edited:
@SurreyGirl Manuka honey...do you know if it has an anti-inflammatory effect if ingested? Someone gave me some as a gift post op, and I put it in my tea. I really like it as it isn't too sweet. I've used it on horse's wounds...works really well :heehee:. Haven't tried it on myself. Have you used on cuts or scrapes? I'm a bit paranoid about how to treat
cuts etc. post op THR.

@1stSurgery I'm sure Manuka honey would be good on waffles too! :yes:
 
I love the way you tie every post into hip surgery!!!

Mmmm now here goes. Manuka honey is good for healing wounds, maybe there is a specialist maple syrup that does the same
My sweeteners of choice, raw honey and maple syrup. No need to go further. And I don't care what anyone writes or says about it.... No one can convince me the syrup fresh from the tree or the honey fresh from the hive is not good for you! Honey is like a natural antibiotic and has an amazing shelf life.

For years I used to have bees come to my house every year and build honeycombs ...in the walls! It was not pleasant, especially with pets. You could wake up any given summer morning with a buzzing, squirming black wall in any room. They come in fast. It can be overwhelming.

Then I'd call my local "bee man" a honey farmer, to come remove them. He is on speed dial and usually comes fast. He shows up in that funny moon landing suit and smokes them out, takes them away to the farm. He loves them!! They seem to have bypassed us for a few yrs now but the next door neighbor got them recently.

And this is of course directly related to hips in that ....if they return again next summer.... I am now able to run quickly downstairs (15 stairs - but who's counting) to escape the angry swarm because... I've had hip replacement!!
 
Last edited:
@Alitm you didn't know about the syrup crime in Canada?! I'm surprised! You have to watch that, it's really something and they interview people from all sides of the story. You'll enjoy.

As for the potential of manuka honey on waffles.... The waffles are long digested already I'm afraid, and were delicious. I had a great maple syrup from France with a big vanilla bean plant in the bottle and went overboard in my serving of it. Heated the syrup, slathered the Kerrygold. Pecans and sliced bananas were a nice touch! Hard doing kitchen stuff whizzing around on my wheeled walker but it all worked out. Rain is stopping finally. Time to get busy here!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom