Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

There was one player who was having some difficulties, went back to the minors and fought is way back to the Red Sox lineup, and in his first outing he hit a home run! In his mid-30s, "old." Exciting.

So this, combined with Bo Jackson's hip, means I still have a chance at the majors... all I have to do is learn to do baseball things! Can't be that hard.
 
Haha! We have to whisper while @lovesstars is in the room but yes @JoeKnows - I do believe this is a good sign for you to take to earnest about a professional baseball career!!

When you hear all the surgeries that even these younger players are getting, I mean is there one MLB pitcher who hasn't had Tommy John surgery?! It's amazing how they keep going out there. We probably owe a large degree of current THR practice and knowledge to sports medicine and sports injury professionals.

And @lovesstars ...I am probably one of the least likely people you know to ever be called a "sports fan" trust me! ...but... I have a thing for watching baseball now that -granted -I picked up from hubby who IS a sports fan. But I really love it! And was so happy baseball season coincided this year with ... surgery season! When he met me, I would ask questions like, "--how come sometimes when the ball goes into the audience, it's very good...and sometimes it's bad?" I would ask who was designing their awful costumes and how could they have put those huge red birds on them? I thought the 7th inning stretch was intermission. He had his job cut out in educating me. A few yrs later I was quoting slugging percentages. Haha! I think he threw it into our wedding vows, I had no choice in the matter. A convert.

Liver is good for you.
 
@EL11!!! Did you see that?! The 9th?! (@lovesstars is behind her door!) WOW!! That was amazing. Ok enough baseball but wow....
:wowspring:
Oh man!!!! I went to bed so I could “get to sleep early,” then wound up checking the score every 5 seconds and alternatively, looking at the Twitter feed of Alex Speier, who covers baseball for the Boston Globe. I was a nervous wreck!!! Well I’m sure there’ll be video all over the place tomorrow.

I now know how to instantly reverse the calming effect of Oxycodone!
 
@EL11 Be sure to catch footage of the last 5 mins bottom of 9th! Kimbrall's hands were sweating! That was exciting!! Now go to sleep or you'll interrupt the oxification effect! :sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
Last edited:
Did you guys see that Tom Petty's wife has come out in the press saying that... if he'd canceled his tour and gone ahead and gotten the hip replacement he needed, he'd still be alive?! He even had a THR surgery scheduled and canceled it at the last minute to just rest at home between shows, per the wife. Apparently he was instead taking heavy dose narcotics to deal with the hip pain so the show could go on. And accidentally took too much. So sad! :sad:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8477364/tom-petty-box-set-interview
 
Heartbreaking! No pun intended. So very sad.
Soundtrack of my early 20's. Most of us know the hits. Oddly one of my favorites is
"It's Christmas All Over Again".
Love hearing that one during the holidays. Crank it up in the car and rock out. :heehee:
Thanks, Tom, always makes me happy to hear it.
@1stSurgery
 
@Layla Unfortunately, my most lasting Tom petty rocking in the car memory was a sunrise drive in the hills off of Mulholland drive here, in the rain heading to early AM work, with "Ya don't...Have....To live like a refugee!" blasting on the radio and then, around one sharp bend....crash! A head on with a car coming uphill! In the days before cell phones. I had to knock on a door and got a guy in a towel at his waist to help me call police, insurance! He was very nice and the good news is no one was injured ..we were both crawling low speed in the rain-- but everytime I hear that song I think of that morning!!
 
Last edited:
:yikes: < that's me, not lovesstars!
Sounded so lovely for a minute, sunrise drive, hills off of Mullholland, singing along to Refugee, then ....CRASH!!!
Thankfully no one was hurt! What a memory....
 
The trials of 2 THRs and their long recoveries have taught and are still teaching me much, I have to admit.

The enforced slowing down of everything, (ketchup is Indy race speed compared to some of this process...) makes you naturally more reflective and observant. There's just so much more time floating around with no way to dash through it multitasking like we would normally be doing, when not chained to an ice-machine and on meds. So there all this free floating "noticing" of things you'd otherwise risk overlooking.

Like the way my husband carefully made sure the pumpkin magic mixture in the fridge was covered with plastic and a rubber band so it wouldn't absorb other odors or tastes from neighboring foods! It's small and simple but it's not the kind of thing one would think he'd just come up with on his own. Just another of those small signs of... Caring. We can miss them if we're not looking and noting.

Today has been landmark so far. Split the oxy in half last night and slept thru till 7 AM just fine. Got up with a renewed vigor and walked upstairs, right left, not on same step! All 15. No problems, with cane and railing of course. Made myself a big breakfast of soft boiled eggs, magic pumpkin purée, prune juice, coffee etc. Began all supplements again. Went outside on sunny deck for a ten min walk with walker... Which may not sound very impressive... but to me lately...it's an Olympian feat!! And the biggest part was, I probably could've done more since I was not, am not, in pain!! The pain levels are truly diminished by a good margin now. It's amazing and so welcomed!

Yesterday a long awaited work project was greenlit that requires me to scramble down to some intense busy time again but at least it all happened just as the healing started to take hold and the pain die down.

My main takeaway lately of what THR has taught me is to MAGNIFY every small sign of love, joy, peace, well-being, caring and calm that we can find in the daily path and hold onto those heightened sentiments with a tight grip. And alternatively, to SHRINK every annoyance, pain, disturbance, obstacle and even misery to its smallest of small proportions and then learn to....let....them.....go....

In short, it's always right back to Lewis Carroll for me and the classic "Eat Me" "Drink Me" magnification vs shrinking processes. We can take charge of these things with focus and mindfulness!

Have a lovely Thursday hippys!!
 
Ok I've got this thing about 11-11 and it's one of those things where, for about a year or so, I always happen to be looking at some digital time read-out the 2 X / day when it's exactly 11:11. Always. And I also get important messages and calls at...precisely 11:11 My friends and I have this running joke about it since it keeps happening. And some of them have the same phenomena. So I just noticed that my above post was number ...#1111!
That's a lot of posts!! I see I'm even a "graduate" resident at the BoneSmart Inn now. Oooh!!

Ok back to the mines.... Was just musing on synchronicities! :SUNsmile:
 
@1stSurgery Thanks for all the countdown decos! :roseshwr: . That is so very sad about the Tom Petty story....so close but yet so far away from his scheduled THR. I know last summer I was hanging on to the 4,000 mls of Tylenol a day for dear life, and praying that it would hold me to surgery....I didn't want have to go to anything heavier.

Loved that song of TP's that you were listening to, while driving, winding down the road, and then the CRASH....terrible....I will always thing of that now when I hear that song!! Yikes, so glad you all were alright!

Interesting to see your numbers. Mine is 13. Won my first ribbon at a horse show with that number. Met my husband on the 13th of August (not mentioning the year:wink:) and started dating on the 26th. So many times this has happened to me. The last biggy was when we bought our farm here in Canada. The street number of the property adds up to 13!!!

This morning I had to ask my hubby to do something for me, and I have to say, I L O N G to be independent again. I hate this....ugh....and have to do it all over again...but the second time around will be different, in that I will be straight on both sides again, and I just have to take the time to let things heal, and settle down. There will be a lot of muscles and other soft tissues adjusting, as I'm sure you are feeling now. I can't believe how much looser my right side is, but my left side...not so much! I stand so much taller on my right side. It is all pretty incredible.

You are on your way now, and although it is still slow as ketchup, you are on track to getting your life back, and that is just SOOO exciting :happydance::yay::egypdance::ok::dancy: :SUNsmile::cheers:
 
13 is a funny one @Alitm, with all the bad superstitious mojo on it being unlucky! It's funny how numbers can kind of follow us around like that! I love it!

Thanks for the well wishes too, yes it is exciting to move out of pain always!! You're going to be so fine with your other hip in place and walking like you can't remember walking even. I think you're going to have a very successful smooth second one, just a hunch - but I'm known to have good hunch odds! Try not to fret too much about asking hubby to do things... It's part of the original contract like I always remind my DH. And it's good to switch up roles and responsibilities from time to time so each party is more aware of the others burdens!!

Happy (well, sort of..kinda...) to announce hubby is hereby relieved of his meal delivery duties at home now since I have now met and conquered the taunting 15 stairs. That's what so funny about hip recovery, is that just suddenly, one day, you can do something you couldn't do yesterday. I will actually miss some of those lovely yummy meal trays whisked to bedside - all those tasty dinners and breakfasts in bed. It did give me a brief hotel Room service atmosphere thing. :) But we're moving on here.

So when do you go see the horsey?!? :horseriding:
 
STOP, stop the madness :heehee:
First, I brought up the crazy occular migtaines here because I never met anyone who knew what I was talking about when I explained them. Then there was YOU.

I've had this thing for the last few years where I always glance at the time at 3:33....It kind of bothered me, initially. When it happens I'll think to myself - Well of course it's 3:33, why do I even look at the clock. I've sent screen shots of 3:33 to my son when I've looked at my cell to see the time, sent him pics of my car radio showing 3:33. The clock at home 3:33. Its become a joke of sorts. He's the only one I've discussed this crazy 3:33 thing with. Until there was YOU. Thanks to you again, I don't feel so alone in my crazy occurrences. Haha!

Loved your reflective post 1111. It was a good one. This surgery does cause one to view things with fresh eyes and a new appreciation for a lot we've taken for granted. It's great to see you've turned the corner. I'm happy for you. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@1stSurgery
 
Haha @Layla, maybe it's us crazy ocular migraine people who happen to possess these odd numerological mysticisms!! I may have a new theory to check out here! Where is the BoneSmart polling feature?! :)

That's so funny. When I first read your post in my foggy brained haze nodding off state (yes I'm actually falling asleep at 8:30!)... I misread / misunderstood that you sent screenshots to your son from your cell ....and I thought... Hmmm I didn't know @Layla was posting here from jail?! :rotfl:

Seriously, had to read it twice! My poor brain is sooooo tired it went right to women behind bars --totally bypassing the entire cell phone concept! Hahaha!

Who knows, we may find more strange and inexplicable weirdnesses we have in common!

I think it's bedtime for me. I hope they feed you ok in there and that you'll be out soon!! :heehee:

And you're welcome Layla. Sometimes I think I exist just to make others feel a little less crazy!! :wave::happydance:
 
Hiya @1stSurgery I'm trying to have ZERO expectations about second surgery!

So pleased that you have those 15 stairs in your back pocket again! As much as it is comforting to be waited on, once we feel better, it is gratifying to be able to get it ourselves :yes: . Hubs is still making sure we are stocked up and continues to make easy access soups and dinner.

Hubs rearranged my barn feed room, and raised all the feed bins, as he got sick of bending down into them to prepare feeds!! LOL! :yes!: .

Probably waiting until after the six week mark to go and see the four-legged child. Here is a cute picture of him napping! This is how I felt this afternoon and early evening, could hardly keep my eyes open! All the walking pole walking has me feeling that "good" tired!

[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
 
Re Tom Petty. Sad.
My favorite...
I Won't Back Down!

That is sad now that I think about it that way:sorry:
 
I just started to reply and noticed the time, I swear...it was 11:11!! Haha

In a rush today but wanted to say that horse is gorgeous @Alitm!! So beautiful! You have to go see him, thanks for posting the photo!

And I agree @Mojo333 I think that's my favorite of his songs too --and yep, a very sad story. It seems his wife and daughter are filled with regret over it and the other issue was the media made it out like Oh, just another rocker druggie who OD'd ...when he was desperately trying to keep himself out of severe pain and keep his work commitments. :cry:
 
WOW!!! @1stSurgery I am reading through the last few posts and I have tears welling up in my eyes threatening to spill over. You have made such GREAT progress!! I LOVE your post about:

"My main takeaway lately of what THR has taught me is to MAGNIFY every small sign of love, joy, peace, well-being, caring and calm that we can find in the daily path and hold onto those heightened sentiments with a tight grip. And alternatively, to SHRINK every annoyance, pain, disturbance, obstacle and even misery to its smallest of small proportions and then learn to....let....them.....go...."

Great, wise words to live by!!! I said a little prayer that I can accomplish this kind of recovery with both of my hips AND this wonderful life lesson!

@Alitm - your horse is GORGEOUS!!!! I imagine you are missing him plenty.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom