THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Such wonderful things happening over here!
So hoping to get another good report today on your progress.
You've dealt with so much pain I just want to see you move beyond that.
Hugs and warm wishes for another great day!
@1stSurgery
 
:wave: @1stSurgery! So so happy that you are feeling more comfortable, phew! It is so hard when you've already had a relatively easy first surgery, but then the second is a real doozy. How can one not compare, particularly when one is in so much pain, with seemingly no answers. It is hard to get rest, sleep and resolution under those circumstances. You were in a lot of pain waiting for the second surgery, which must have also worn you down. Now you are on your way however, and that is behind you. Just remember to behave and not be a wild woman!!! LOL!! :dancy::spin::happydance::egypdance: .

I thought of you last night with my multiple pillows, thinking, and wishing we'd purchased a California king bed! I will be posting on my thread in a moment....

Wishing you a wonderful day and and no visits to the ODIC door, let alone inside, OK?!!!

:cheers:
 
Thank you all @Jaycey @Bionic @EL11 @Alitm @Layla ...and anyone else!

Pretty good day today although I had much to get done in AM hours. Pain is still hovering below the radar around 5-6 at worst case whereas before it was up in the 8-9 range so that's a definite improvement. I've tapered pain meds to adjust to the change but it is tricky balancing the right zone to stay in, pain wise.

I walked @5 mins with cane today to start the transition and that went pretty well also! Stride OK, not perfect but good. Dr said to be at his office by 8:45 AM so we'll have to leave before 8 due to LA rush "hour". I've compiled a more sensical list of questions for the doctor, since I know if I don't ask I will just get a "Looks great! See you in a year!" assessment. It's a very busy office....

@EL11 I really like that idea of having a small panel or THR patients for a Q&A. Would've been very helpful in the classes! That would be so useful methinks! Good luck with the cane, I found using it on the left hand for the right hip this time a bit more challenging but you get used to it. My goal was to be able to do the OS appt without lugging that big Walker in the car and through the parking, down the corridors. I think cane will suffice. Which begs the question, why does it seem the orthopedic surgeons offices are always at the END of some endlessly long hallway? Even my pre-op joint class was down two realllly long halls! I was in such OA pain by the time I got there! Same with my pre-op surgery day check in area!

@Alitm good luck with the magical bed / pillow formula and not to worry about the ODIC. They have my picture up at the door with a forbidden entry warning! I'm the Rest Cure all the way!! :)

Wishing you a beautiful restful icy pain-free evening, fellow hippys!
:bath: :ice: :sleep: :yawn:
REST IS GOOD!!

 
Last edited:
@EL11 I really like that idea of having a small panel or THR patients for a Q&A. Would've been very helpful in the classes! That would be so useful methinks! Good luck with the cane, I found using it on the left hand for the right hip this time a bit more challenging but you get used to it. My goal was to be able to do the OS appt without lugging that big Walker in the car and through the parking, down the corridors. I think cane will suffice. Which begs the question, why does it seem the orthopedic surgeons offices are always at the END of some endlessly long hallway? Even my pre-op joint class was down two realllly long halls! I was in such OA pain by the time I got there! Same with my pre-op surgery day check in area!

I tried the cane for a minute and it felt shaky, but the PT woman is coming at noon today to assess, and I'll ask her if she could help me adjust it correctly. Last time I did not do that intermediary step.

For the last two nights, the oxy has not been knocking me out as it used to. Last night I didn't get to sleep till past midnight, partly because I kept reading tweets and articles about the Red Sox, who absolutely killed it last night. Anyway, woke up at 5 so I took the opportunity to begin my Tylenol regimen for the day; got up at 6 to switch on the coffee for my boyfriend, who works at the hospital 7-7 today; managed to fall asleep again despite piteous mewing from upstairs; woke up again at 8:30, and miraculously, my hip was scarcely hurting at all. I can't tell you (but you well know) how it lifted my mood, which had been less than stellar the last two days.

Pain in the 8-9 range, I am so sorry you've had to deal with that and glad it has edged down a few points; you're so good to graciously thank everyone and not just b**** as would be quite understandable. My own journey has been easier but as mentioned, I really have been feeling put out at the greater difficulty with this hip. Sunday I felt as if I'd twisted it while going out to dinner or when doing some household task and failing to move precisely at right angles like a robot. My knee was bothering me and my morbid imagination also wandered into "Now I'm going to need a gosh-darn (replaced my previous adjective which was changed to "loving" though it was not an actual swear word ;)) knee replacement" territory.

I was remembering how I was able to walk unaided just a week before my second THR. I had considered bringing my own walker to the hospital, which I decided against because of course they have them there and why expose mine to the ick of the hospital. Anyway, before I changed my mind I was actually thinking, Oh, I'll just carry it to the pre-op area (which in my case was mercifully close to the drop-off entrance). That was at the 7-week mark and I still had an arthritic left hip. So maybe in a month ...

Wishing everyone a good day of healing, and I look forward to the progress reports or therapeutic venting.
 
Last edited:
Thinking of you this morning.
Hope you slept well and pain is manageable.
Best of luck with the OS appt today. Let us know how it goes.
@1stSurgery
 
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new world... And I'm feeelin' ..... GOOOD!! :loveshwr::happydance::spin:

Today could not have gone better so far. Slept well, up at 6 AM to allow shower, coffee, eat, prep time since I move so slowly. Took the AM steroid and each day it has cut the pain by considerable, noticeable decibels so that's all very pleasant. Woke up hubby and the cat who are both prone to oversleep. Both were startled and gave me looks to kill since it was still dark. I was not daunted. This is my new dawn, new day. This is my turned corner, my glimmer growth time. This is my ascent day when the road turns upward and I am no longer in patient mode ...but a specimen of healing! This is a good day!

Got to OS office early as planned, hubby whisking all my stuff along for me, my cane, car cushion, purse, hospital folder with papers and notes. Long wait in his office (did I mention my OS is always very very booked??) So I watched everyone coming in, assessing the pre-op from post-op patients and I played a "guess how old their hips are" game to pass the time. I'm getting good at seeing how people move and watching their corresponding joint function.

An attractive woman in a jogging suit came in using same cane as I and walking a touch smoother than I do (I'm on day one of cane walk). Told my hubby, That one, she's about a one month out from surgery. And we got talking...sure enough, had surgery a month ago and other side a few yrs ago. Had to recover this one in a 3 story house, all alone, since her husband passed end of last yr, Parkinson's. Felt so bad for her... A sweet woman with a charming Tennessee accent who I was partially fond of since she remarked when she saw me "---oh, you're too young for hip replacement, what happened?" :heehee: I told her about BoneSmart. Maybe she will show up.

Funny, it was the pre-op people coming in with no walker, no cane and who were walking the worst....I could feel their pain with each limping step as they grasped the counters. Almost an hour to get to the back room and have my consult. By this time I've moved into Advil. The place where the Hulk had grabbed (strangled??) the ankle is so swollen & bruised on both sides, my shoe was cutting into the tender swollen part and starting to up the pain.

All was excellent with the OS assistant, (OS not present himself because.... He's very busy...). :) But he answered all my questions well and even confirmed my right-handed right-legged theory about why one side might sustain more damage, and be longer to heal, than another. Every kick, twirl, climb, I'd lead off on righty over so many many years.

He basically thought everything was coming along fine, especially considering the dexamethason addition 4-5 days ago and the good progress since. He wants the walking time upped now however, as I've only done 5-8 min walks, since there was such pain until recently. He said every Monday to add 5 more mins to that week's walks and get up to 20-30 min walks and maintain. Muscles will naturally regain strength he said and told me to NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ROM, muscles or flexibility issues at this stage. Walk, he said. Just walk. Period. Basta.

:running:

He said you're only at the start of the very earliest stage of this healing phase with this new right hip (2 wks) and the left hip remember is also still only at about 1/3 of its way done In its full healing phase... Then he gave it to me straight again.. Like last time.. Don't forget he said, This is the equivalent of having had both your pelvis and thigh bone both broken at the same time... two weeks ago. He stared at me to be sure I'd heard him. Ok ok.

In a case of bad timing I then asked when I might be able to the standing bow and some other favorite yoga poses that I missed doing... 2-3 months!! And then back to the broken bones discussion. Ok ok.

He removed all my steri strips, Yay!!! Rather painlessly and said he was very impressed with how well the skin was healing at the wound, I declined to look and confirm that in a squeam queen moment. Said X-rays look picture perfect and had me strut down the hall, which I'd been practicing at home. I did one way with cane and came back holding cane, walking free form! He said flying colors on the walking test, but need to walk more is all. And see you in 2 yrs.. !!

Told me re the oxy wean off I could cut dosage and pill in half now if it felt right for pain mgmt and supplement with OTC. He however is not a big Tylenol fan, but I think it's become this hospital policy Has trended to be more cautious on the Tylenol due to people overusing and getting into some liver trouble. And on that note, today was the first time, with both hips, I found hairs falling out all over my tshirt! I am again becoming my cat and now shedding... I had begun Tylenol last week to go more med light since the steroid was helping so I don't know if its that or the steroid, but up until now I have had zero hair loss issues.

Now for the very best part of the story!

DH took me to one of our favorite bustling cafes near the beach for a real breakfast / brunch afterwards. The very best food - and the very worst chairs. Lilly tiny kid sized pre-school crayon table metal low-low folding chairs! He ran back to the car for my trusty seat cushion that had to be crammed in sideways to fit in the five yr old sized seat! But breakfast... Was... Heavenly!!!

First of all I'm walking, I'm out in public, it smells good, I'm about to eat my first restaurant meal in 2 long weeks of miserable pain. A warm flaky croissant sandwich stuffed with gooey cheese egg omelette, bacon and some greens. The most perfect latte known to man, woman or beast. A fresh tossed green salad. I was euphoric by the end of it and inhaling each bite. And it's our perfect 72 degree sunny day here to boot.

Honestly, I've had some false starts, I know... But this is it. Today is my turnaround day for sure, and I'm on the upward road to recovery. Feeling so optimistic I decided to retain my work dates and just modify time spent as needed when it comes.

I'm icing now only because the little pre-school chairs were soooo low to the ground! But well worth it. The restaurant is always jam packed so it must be how they can squeeze in more people and tables.

Wishing everyone as good a turnaround as I'm enjoying... nothing feels better than to just know your headed in the right direction and the worst is (hopefully!) and thankfully behind you.

Wow, that was long!!
 
Last edited:
@1stSurgery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful day you are having!!!!!!!!!!!
My favorite part is the OS asst staring at you to make sure you have gotten THE POINT.
Cautiously optimistic!!!! MOVING FORWARD INTO SUNSHINE AND GOOEY CROISSANT SANDWICHES IN BEACHSIDE RESTAURANTS!!!!
:angel::angel::angel:
 
Oh @1stSurgery [sniff] That was so lovely, I choked up. To me, the heart and soul of these visits is "X-rays look picture perfect." I got the same stern reminder, "They broke your bones," preceded on the same PT's earlier visit with something more colorful along the lines of having had both sides of my body ripped in half.

When one is focused on the post-op challenges, it's easy to forget sometimes what it was like to walk with arthritis. When I got my hair done a few days ago, the guy who was blowing it dry said that another client had had a THR not long ago. "Before, she was walking like this," he said, doing a very good representation with his hand of how she was just a bit bent over. Now she's ramrod-straight.
 
I was over in your room @lovesstars , while you were posting here again!!

I know right? Isn't it wonderful?! Your day is just ahead as well. My OS office is pretty progressive and cutting edge on protocols so it's reassuring to hear they get it about walking being the key activity and put all the other gymnastics and exercise notions off until further healing has been allowed to take place.

But gooey croissant sandwiches and lattes... Pinch me! :loll:
 
Yep @EL11 it actually hurt to watch the OA hobblers coming into the office. Every. Single. Painful. Step. They. Take. A few times this morning I found myself walking in the house with....nothing! Just short distances, but I noticed I had just forgotten...oh my walker...oh my cane.... Oh....

I see you're watching the play offs? Me too! Oddly I'm not necessarily a Dodgers fan this year, nothing against them, but I'm looking for another team to get behind for the series since the team I was watching was just taken out. I found baseball a great distraction during recovery, good timing! Not a big sports fan in general but baseball captures me for some reason. I like the young scrappy players with loads of talent and heart-- and I really enjoy the zen of baseball, the focus. Tonight is Yankees /Sox? I may watch it but have to admit, the Red Sox have an amazing record going!
 
:wowspring:@1stSurgery That is such and amazing and wonderful report!! You are truly on your way!! :yes!::happydance::yay::egypdance::dancy: . It is so great to be back in the land of moving forward! So so happy for you. All those long dark weeks waiting for second surgery, and then to have the first two weeks of recovery being :censored:, before they could turn things around with the steroids. I am so so thrilled for you :SUNsmile: . Onwards you go....back to health, renewed energy and a even better "normal"! We are so appreciative of normal now!:yes:
Sending you a most incredibly deserved congratulatory cyber hug!:loveshwr:
 
@1stSurgery
You can keep your latte but oh for that croissant sandwich with the gooey cheesy omelette yum yum

Glad you enjoyed it all and things seem to be on the up for you
 
I see you're watching the play offs? Me too! Oddly I'm not necessarily a Dodgers fan this year, nothing against them, but I'm looking for another team to get behind for the series since the team I was watching was just taken out. I found baseball a great distraction during recovery, good timing! Not a big sports fan in general but baseball captures me for some reason. I like the young scrappy players with loads of talent and heart-- and I really enjoy the zen of baseball, the focus. Tonight is Yankees /Sox? I may watch it but have to admit, the Red Sox have an amazing record going!

I was a Dodgers fan 40 years ago when I lived in LA, and when I moved to MA I started following the Sox, which I was warned was an invitation to heartbreak. It's the only sport I've ever known something about. The posters online are often so antagonistic—as if any of them could throw a fastball or make a diving catch if they tried for a billion years!

I watched last night with some trepidation, then came the unbelievable rout. I also like the zen/focus and the unpredictable twists and turns. As a New Yorker born, I get a kick out of how insane the Yankees fans are in the stands, on their feet and leaping around.

That feeling of forgetting your cane/crutch/walker is so cool, isn't it?!
 
Thanks @Alitm it's true that the darker days make us find so much more relished sweetness in their leaving! Thanks for all the support during them! Onward for us both and all hippys here! The turnaround days are such vital stepping stones in our mood.

And @Bionic, I've eaten some incredible meals all over the planet, but today...that warm flaky croissant omelette cheesy breakfast was something so stellar and symbolic!! I devoured it with gusto!!
 
@EL11 one thing I've always avoided --and frankly can't even fathom, honestly, I just don't get it...is that off the hook rivalry between sports fans. It's a mentality I can't partake in. Mostly, I look at the individual players kind of like gifted athletes or dancers. I have a good nose for young talent and those rookies are my favorites to watch!! To see them learn and grow. When they dive into the plate and just get in by a fingernail or throw the perfect double play or...grand slam! It's a thrilling game to watch that way. But I've never hated or begrudged another team who beat "my team" or the one I was focusing on. There is that lowest common denominator thing in mob hysteria that has always scared me ...so I prefer watching at home and staying out of the fray of any online arguments about it. I'm very happy this surgery coincided with the playoffs!! Perfect distraction from pain.
 
Last edited:
@EL11 one thing I've always avoided --and frankly can't even fathom, honestly, I just don't get it...is that off the hook rivalry between sports fans. It's a mentality I can't partake in. Mostly, I look at the individual players kind of like gifted athletes or dancers. I have a good nose for young talent and those rookies are my favorites to watch!! To see them learn and grow. When they dive into the plate and just get in by a fingernail or throw the perfect double play or...grand slam! It's a thrilling game to watch that way. But I've never hated or begrudged another team who beat "my team" or the one I was focusing on. There is that lowest common denominator thing in mob hysteria that has always scared me ...so I prefer watching at home and staying out of the fray of any online arguments about it. I'm very happy this surgery coincided with the playoffs!! Perfect distraction from pain.

It's part of the drama, I guess, but these guys have played on different teams with each other over the years so it's hardly like a team is an unbreakable family.

There was one player who was having some difficulties, went back to the minors and fought his way back to the Red Sox lineup, and in his first outing he hit a home run! In his mid-30s, "old." Exciting.

It is the perfect distraction. My favorite thing is to go out to eat and sit at the bar while a game is on, but watching at home in your jammies is great too.

OK @lovesstars we're probably about done with this topic ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom