THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Beautiful pics! How relaxing that view must be during recovery.
Happy Four Month Anniversary on Hip 1! :happydance:
Thanks for kind words above but it was your post that inspired me and conjured up "my special memory".
I hope Righty lets Lefty enjoy its special day.:yes:
Love & hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@1stSurgery
 
Thanks everyone, @Mojo333 @Bevlah @Layla etc. Happy to report I think steroid is working. A little better each morning. :)

And @Layla I didnt know it was my 4 month Hipversary! Poor lefty gets so forgotten when righty acts up, which is what she does. He was such a model hip! So composed and quiet and he is doing quite well. I'd like more knee bend range but it's coming along. Outer thigh is still numb on lefty and I wonder if it will go away.

Righty knee can't be raised up at all from a reclining position, as in heel slides, or this bizarre deep, deep pain results that spans hip to heel inside, like a very bad #8 bone ache. It's so strange and has not changed since surgery date, two wks ago. However when sitting it bends down ok without any of that pain. So something in reclining position is triggered by the slightest knee lift that is way too painful to even want to attempt try to do again ...yet I do, every day, try again to see if there's any improvement. Will ask OS about that.
 
Outer thigh is still numb on lefty and I wonder if it will go away.
I thought some of my numbness would be permanent when I reached 6 months...slowly dissipated...all normal now.
Righty knee can't be raised up at all from a reclining position, as in heel slides, or this bizarre deep, deep pain results that spans hip to heel inside, like a very bad #8 bone ache. It's so strange and has not changed since surgery date, two wks ago. However when sitting it bends down ok without any of that pain. So something in reclining position is triggered by the slightest knee lift that is way too painful to even want to attempt try to do again ...yet I do, every day, try again to see if there's any improvement.
Stop trying to force that until you talk to OS.
If it don't wanna...then it don't wanna!Must not be ready.
Hope you have a healing week ahead.:angel:
 
Last edited:
How is today, @1stSurgery ???
Noticably better! Thanks, @lovesstars. I just did a ten min walk (with walker) and fixed a light snack, cleaned a few counters etc, went up and down stairs alone, hubby is out working today. Friend coming tonight to bring dinner and I'm feeling optimistic for first time in awhile. Steroid seems to work fast but my brain is dizzy & foggier than I like it.... Have to deal as I'm trying to get some behind catch up work done today. How are you doing today??
 
I will stop forcing it @Mojo333.... Do you have a whip too, like @lovesstars?! :heehee:

It's just such an oddity that the same move reclined causes killer pain, but seated is...ok. I find that anatomically puzzling so the engineer part of my brain keeps wanting to test it and note any observations! Lol
Observed: OW!!! :yikes:

Thank you!!
 
I wish I could tell you why...but I can't.
But something doesn't like it.
Don't have a whip...but do have a sincere hope for all to ease for you soon.
 
@1stSurgery we took mom to airport early today...stopped to see some friends for an hour (was nice to see people!) and home. Ate leftover pasta for lunch and napped three hours on the couch. I didn’t even know I was tired!!!
I wrote to my doc yesterday and told him that I understood that that don’t want me to have PT but I wish I had a PT-type team to check on me, see how my progress is, where I am missing something — sort of like @EL11 has. Look at me with therapist envy!! :scare:

Now I have to see how the week goes so I can decide about the wedding.
 
I gotta say, today I got my very first little teeny tiny minuscule but momentous taste of what post THR recovery is going to feel like. A brief moment, wheeling around my living room in endless circles, trying to avoid running over stuffed kitty mousies...a small glimmer of @Layla's grocery store moment hit me. Standing tall, heel toe-Ing it, with no real excruciating pain, only some low level decibel #5 pain where the hulk yanked away at my turkey limb.... And I had that feeling!! I will be walking soon -- and not in agony. It will feel kinda like this. Only better and not wheeling over stuffed mouses. Kitty kept one eye watching mom from her sleeping post, walking in endless circles around The room like it was something to behold. What a nice moment that was!! Just wanted to share. Have not found many optimistic days in past weeks of the pain so this is like a clearing of the clouds.

:loveshwr:
 
I hear ya @lovesstars on seeing how the week goes before deciding. I've put a few employers on hold yesterday, reluctantly, and just said I have to ...see how the week goes.

It must be nice to have your home back without the worries of your moms care and I'm sure you will also miss her in other ways! Leftover pasta is the best pasta!! Again, I'm hungry on this board. I just had cottage cheese with pineapple chunks and coffee to try to stay awake. Don't worry at all about those naps by the way! THAT is when your bone knitting crew is all geared up to be busy working when you aren't robbing an iota of strentgh or energy from them.

Yay, she's finally sleeping again, guys!! Quick, let's start building while we can! Who's got the plaster trowel??
:dancy::happydance:

Keep getting better. We both need that steady sleep rest ice thing now to move forward. I'm happy about the steroid meds working pretty fast. May be able to make my deadlines after all. Trying to see if I can do Tuesday appt on a cane instead of walker. Tomorrow will be deciding factor.
 
Wonderful news! That glimmer will soon become one full on ray of light :happydance:
You might be having a slower start with this hip but you are on your way!
Can't wait to share in your victory posts.
Love and Hugs!
(I hate AC....Before I corrected auto correct - Love and Hugs said - Live Angie Hugs :shrug:)
@1stSurgery
 
@1stSurgery Sorry you are still having pain in weird places and at odd angles and not in others. Glad you are able to do more walking, and those stairs! I'm in continued awe of all who do stairs! Hopefully the steroids are making inroads and you will continue to see more and more progress, and feel less and less pain :yes:

Thought of you today when I asked hubs to bring up two more pillows from our much older kids old room! Haven't got the leg wedge just right yet!

Hoping you have a good evening and your visitor brings something yummy!
:flwrysmile:
 
@1stSurgery we took mom to airport early today...stopped to see some friends for an hour (was nice to see people!) and home. Ate leftover pasta for lunch and napped three hours on the couch. I didn’t even know I was tired!!!
I wrote to my doc yesterday and told him that I understood that that don’t want me to have PT but I wish I had a PT-type team to check on me, see how my progress is, where I am missing something — sort of like @EL11 has. Look at me with therapist envy!! :scare:

Now I have to see how the week goes so I can decide about the wedding.

Working backwards ... do you mostly want to go or mostly want not to go? Not to be nosy, haha.

As I mentioned, the PTs I have are different from the ones I had on Hip One and different from each other even. One watches me do some basic exercises, the other just watches me walk and answers my questions. I wish you could have that, @lovesstars but if the doc says no ... I think it is better for some people psychologically, and I don't mean in a hand-holding sense at all. Truth be told, I did none of the exercises the past two days, but I like having someone check my progress and plus they communicate with each other about me..

Napping has taken on a new meaning since having the surgeries. I feel as if my body is requesting that I give some concentrated energy to healing only for those periods of time,
 
Wow, look at you guys! The BoneSmart cheering squad, at it again! so nice of y'all!! Today was really pretty good all in all. Went much of the day not even needing meds, took the steroid and aspirin in AM and that steroid works fast. Had an Advil by dinner and maybe will have something stronger before bed, but it is just not kicking into those heavy pain zones like before. WHAT A RELIEF!! :yay:

Thank you all so much for the sweet, kind and funny posts -- and for caring! This is such a great and cozy recovery place, I feel sorry for anyone trying to go through something like this without such a supportive group.

I walked a little bit with the cane tonight, just to get the feel and see if I could do it. Not going to win any catwalk contests, but it may be ok for the doctors Tuesday. My friend brought me a beautiful spicy chicken salad and we talked and laughed together for hours. Such fun! That was a hard 2 weeks and I am so happy it's over. Think this new medication was the thing missing --stands to reason if I'm so inflamed from Incredible Hulk's handiwork... That an anti-inflammatory would address the issue and resolve it. The hip...also, is still ok.

I'm really thinking when we take our joint surgery classes pre op ..that they should give us a very brief run through of the surgical procedure - that includes mentioning the dislocation process - and what MIGHT perhaps occur ...if it's a hard case. (Or if you're unlucky enough to get the Hulk on your OR team). Because when you find yourself with so much pain in such odd areas at least you wouldn't be worrying that something terrible has gone wrong with the surgery. I mean the handprints and thumbprints should've been a clue. Anyways, spilled milk again, I just keep running into these white puddles...but I still think it should be mentioned to the patient. Not in gory detail, but ...the turkey analogy might work!! Ha!

I hope all hippys sleep well tonight and will experience their corner-turning days very soon, just like I did. Makes such a difference in your outlook. Glimmer glimmer!
:loveshwr:
 
@1stSurgery
Glad you are on the up now. It comes as a great relief when you get to that stage and know you made the right decision. It's still very early days though so be careful and patient as your body still has lots of healing to do.

Sounds like you had a good time with your friend and things like that begin to make you feel more human again.
Best wishes
 
That's good to hear, @1stSurgery. Your posts are so candid and expressive, and also interesting to me because our surgeries were right around the same time, though you had a few more weeks in between.

I have thought that in the pre-op class, it might be helpful to have post-op patients available for a Q&A, or even some materials online with success stories and "challenge stories" to which those in pre-op could refer. I felt the team at St Vincent was excellent in most ways, but there was too much mystery regarding the healing process. Like many, I was terrified of dislocation or infection. But beyond that, what I now understand is that the short term healing timeline can vary significantly from person to person, as well as the degree of pain, where and how it is experienced, and types of phenomena that can occur within a "normal" framework.

The thing about an anti-inflammatory is that it actually does something, rather than just block the pain. Maybe someday, Spanx will come up with post-replacement bodywear you can walk around in, that has blue ice in all the key places :D

I ordered a cane from Amazon; it's expected to arrive today, and if it does, I can practice walking with it when the PT comes tomorrow.

Wishing all you hipsters a good day.
 
Back
Top Bottom