THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

My knees look very different now! I would never have been a model for tights but seriously one looks like I am smuggling a bag of heroine in there as it has a weird "sack" below it. An ex bf once said I had knees like a 10 year old, notice the word ex!!! But I actually do as it looks like puppy fat. My knee was soo sore after the second. They don't care what they do as their job is the replacement nothing to do with recovery. So it could be worse! Hope your pain eases soon. Your threads are very similar to another lady on here called "nanamamma" I think you should check her out. She doesn't post anymore but you will be and to find her. I used to really laugh and she also had a blog about when her mum lived with her which somewhere she gives you a link. Funny and heartwarming story. X
 
I think you can only get melatonin over the counter in the US. And I hadn't heard of magnesium helping with sleep. Only really know it from milk of magnesia. Swallowed bottlefuls of that when I was pregnant.
Just ordered a common or garden sprung mattress. So many comments on mattress reviews of how uncomfortable memory foam is especially for back sleepers..
 
It was almost a curse having such a trouble-free first surgery. All this normal stuff took me by surprise!
What's this?! Awful pain?! What?! Shattered knee? Calf pain, thigh pain, ankle pain, foot pain??? I came into this one unprepared. Now thanks to all of you and the mods i feel far more enlightened about what this is and how to deal with it. That in itself is calming.
THANK YOU ALL!!
:roseshwr:
So much truth there in that one short post!!
 
A question for the ladies regularly posting here? I have a rather funny question to pose - please look at my Hopefully Hippy Thread and feel free to contribute!!
 
@Bevlah funny story about your knees (and ex!!) and thank you, I will look up nana mamma and read her posts. It does help to see others in similar situations so we don't feel alone.

@bickypeg I'd do an online search for melatonin. They must sell it OTC there?! It's so easy to get here and I've never heard of any bad side effects requiring strict regulation. Except it makes you sleep at night! I take a 10mg sublingual liquid dosage as needed on nights when I'm stressed or just need deep sleep. Our bodies manufacture it naturally but as we age we make less of it. Cruel plan of nature. :) Also yes, try magnesium supplementation for sleep too. Via actual supplements before bed or creams or spray on liquids. Avoid oils since you might slip if it gets on a hard floor surface. I like the cream and spray as they bypass digestive tract and go right in dermally, fast. But have never had any problems with the pills either. I have to supplement magnesium daily.

@SurreyGirl Will check out your question at your page in a bit. Just about to crank up the ice machin and return some calls / emails for work.

On the "miracle corner" turned news....I do get overly enthused with the slightest signs of progress... Decided I'd do a night without heavy meds and went to sleep with just Tylenol for pain. Part experiment part to start getting off heavier drugs. Slept well. Woke in pretty bad pain, same areas as before, all along the right side of leg down to the foot. Hip itself seems ...ok. The rest is thrashed.

That made me sad, mad, moody, teary-eyed, despairing, heartsick, irritable and stupid. All in a short time. So I instinctively took my breakfast out on to the patio, where it's sunny and gorgeous, and it all seemed a little better after some double P (Pumpkin & Prune), coffee, quiche, bird songs, construction sounds (our ongoing soundtrack here) blue blue skies and stunning hillside views. I shamed myself just enough for the earlier pity party and had a nice sensible talking to. To Myself that is... Glad no one but the birds were around.

I then called the elusive Dr again (are you reading this @lovesstars?! Put away that whip, girl!) And, yet another miracle of miracles....they called back!! His nurse talked to me for a long while, by this time I was full on crying, oh the drama! What an emotional roller coaster we hippys ride! And they decided on prescribe a low dose steroid ...dexa-something.... To get the inflammation down and also diagnostically to see if it's working at my Tues post op appt and be able to assess better the issue. It's ready now and my butler, chef, picker-upper, ice man, therapist, housekeeper super-spouse is going to pick it up. (Still reading @lovesstars?! The Dr's office called!!) :)

I now have 2 weeks to be walking and ready for some prior commitments that will be a miracle yet again if I can swing it. Maybe the steroids... I told the nurse that I felt as if all my pain problems stemmed from the dislo ...rather than the surgery itself. Since hip and wound were A-ok. She could not comment, of course. But I'll bet those other 11 hips done that day with the other crew are in bed groaning as well. I think Tarzan was on Dislocation duty September 21.
 
@1stSurgery I am here and I am reading. I am OVER THE MOON :dancy::dancy::dancy: that you got to finally talk to them. HOO-RAY!!!!

Please note, and I know this will mean very little to you but I am telling you anyway, that I am still using my heavy duty meds at the end of the day at 6 weeks...and that the doctor thinks this is okay.

It’s going to be OKAY!!!!!
 
"And this is Bruce. He'll be doing your dislocation..."

[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
 
Last edited:
Thank you @lovesstars! I knew going in that my surgeon had poor marks on the communications and bedside manner category-- but he is the top rated OS for hips in my state and runs the entire Dept at this very highly rated hospital, so I opted for the skilled hands over the hand-holding. His nurse is excellent though. Once you can get her to call back! And it does mean something re the meds for 6 weeks. We are all different in tolerance levels and I've always had to be careful since childhood with most meds. This steroid will be low dose age and hopefully kick the pain enough I won't need to think about more than Tylenol. Does anyone take Tylenol and mix it up with Advil? It seems they are like two warring football teams (Gimme a T! Gimme a Y!!...) as there are people who love one, hate the other. Vica versa.
I hope you turn some corners soon Lovestars. You've had a long trek! Hugs
:roseshwr:
 
I think she has frequently said she much prefers Tylenol, on the Tylenol team! And does not recommend Advil. I don't much care, but thought I'd mix it up if it's ok.
 
That's paracetamol and ibuprofen right? Consultant said it was fine to take them at my 6 weeks consultation. Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory and I find it helpful. (I preferred aspirin myself and never had any problems with it but over here you'd think it was heroin the way it's treated. I was actually told in the chemists I couldn't buy a small pack of aspirin as the pharmacist wasn't there!)
Thanks @1stSurgery I'll have a hunt around.
 
Wow, interesting, @bickypeg! About aspirin. I always confuse the pain relief categories and names. I know (I think...) Advil is an NSAID. After that I'm lost. :)
I need a lesson on -- aspirin, paracetamol, NSAID, Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen and what's what and who begat whom?!
Good luck in the melatonin search.
 
Aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil) are NSAIDs. Paracetamol (Tylenol) a painkiller only? Though it brings down a temperature. Medics very keen on the latter but it's much nastier if you overdose and it lurks in things like Lemsip (for colds etc) Naproxen (also anti inflammatory) gave me stomach cramps, Meloxicam did nothing for me but think it's no longer prescribed here.
Melatonin is by prescription only! Seems it's only regarded as useful for over 55s and children with certain problems like ADHD or autism from my brief research.
 
Thanks @Josephine. I will read, had heard about the bone growth inhibiting factor earlier on here, so was avoiding Advil because of it --but there is that big full bottle of Advil ...next to that near empty Tylenol bottle... And I know my hubby will run out again, but just seemed convenient! Today I will start a new steroid and see if that helps also. Thanks!!
 
Thanks @bickypeg for the explanations. My MIL took too much Tylenol post THR and hurt her liver so that's something to be cautious about. She's fine now. Everything in moderation I guess.

And where are you researching melatonin?! Guess it's a UK thing to make it a prescription but it's naturally manufactured in your body. It regulates the circadian cycles so we are attuned to light and dark as sleeping and waking signals. As was intended by nature! What a good idea!

I was an insomniac most of my life and by the time I hit 40, just accepted it would always be that way. Now, I probably only have maybe 10 sleepless nights / year max, when under major stress or other circumstances make sleep difficult. That's pretty normal, I think. The other 355... Sleep great! I'm so happy about it that I always tell people who can't sleep to try magnesium and melatonin. Another thing you can do to get the best benefit of your own natural circadian cycle is to avoid too much blue light before bedtime, meaning LED light and all computers, tablets, cell phones etc. Unless you have blue-blocker glasses - or the app that reduces the blue from the spectrum. It prevents melatonin production and will keep you up longer at night. But that's hard to do today.
 
Thanks so much for the link @Bevlah! Will look. Pain has improved some. Added new steroid to the mix, back to oxy at bedtime and added self massage with topical homeopathic pain cream to the long right leg sore zones, (IT, knee, oh the knee..calf, ankle, heel) Did I miss anything?! No, it's all like a train wreck that leg. Got pix of bruising and swelling yesterday for the record. How are you doing this weekend? Feeling better I hope!
 
Hi love. I can't believe you are in so much pain, it breaks my heart. Yes slowly slowly slowly recovering!!!!
 
Thanks @Bevlah, It's kind of ok now that I think I know why and how... and that the new hip itself is not really a part of that. It's reassuring. I feel like a car ran over my right side so I know it will take more time ...this time. I have post op Dr visit Tues and will see what they say but I think I'm tailing behind last hip recovery timeline by a week or so... And I had almost no residual leg knee foot damage last one, just focused on the hip which did very well. I can regret having to change dates last minute and do it on an off-date for my OS - who didn't have his ace OR team that day. But spilled milk you know. I'm just about mopping up all these milk puddles now.. Hugs to you for being so kind!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom