Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I am no longer Roger Daltry.

But I think it's still all ok, just not as miraculous as it felt yesterday. Going to repost this update I just put up on EL11's thread.
------

I'm sad to report the euphoria balloon of yesterday afternoon has had some air let out today....but I'm still viewing yesterday as a major turning point.

Took my bedtime meds and woke up at 5ish in familiar deep pain all over right leg, so took a 5:30 am Oxy and woke up at 9 in that bad deep pain again, but ....let's try walking. Here's the deal - and overall it's optimistic, I think. Hip pain has greatly improved to about 4-5 which is not bad for day12. But... That IT band and that totally whacked knee, and then down the right side of calf to ankle...all so sore, so tender, hurts to even touch it. I think those areas are the real pain culprit.

I feel it's musculature and from basic brute handling, possibly a tough dislocation, rather than a result of the actual surgery or cutting. A hunch. The knee is swollen bruised and extremely painful front side and behind and below. Feels literally like someone hammered it! And I have good pain tolerance, even though it doesn't seem so now.

So my take is this will heal in time, longer muscles maybe more slowly, but the hip itself IS healing well - it's just hard to notice with all the other very loud pain down the rest of the leg.

Time to call doctor again. Still hopeful but I'm not quite Roger Daltry today!
 
Hubby just brought two huge Chatanooga ice packs down that cover entire right leg to ankle! This was a good idea! Ossur cold rush pad couldn't handle that much real estate.
 
I feel it's musculature and from basic brute handling, possibly a tough dislocation, rather than a result of the actual surgery or cutting.
Many of us had very sore knees post THR. They grab the knee and wretch it pretty firmed during the procedure. Your bruising confirms that. Ice the knee. This will ease with just a bit of time.
 
Many of us had very sore knees post THR. They grab the knee and wretch it pretty firmed during the procedure. Your bruising confirms that. Ice the knee. This will ease with just a bit of time.
Thank you @Jaycey ...that sounds right to me. Gives hope!! I am icing now and happy to notice the hip pain is far improved, the rest not much different. The knee is in a sorry state though!
 
The first week everything from waist down hurt on right, incl hip. Now I can better isolate and the hip is the least painful, the rest is super bad pain when not iced or medicated. That little muscle under the knee on outside of calf? OMG! Really sore. I had a large body ice pack from first hip that I never used, it was too big, we just dug that out and it's rocking the lower leg! Thanks @Jaycey! Always helpful to have a clue what's going on when you're hurting.
 
Pleased to report the full right side ice pack treatment is working very well! Going to keep that up, happy we have a small second freezer since one of these packs is huge! But very effective so far. Wish I'd have figured that out a week ago! Ok off to get some catch up work done today, thanks for the info!!
 
Oh sweetheart I am so sorry you are experiencing such hideous pain. God knows what they did to you! Maybe waking up like I did may have been a good idea, you could have given them what for!! Hoping things ease soon my friend x
 
It's ok @Bevlah. At least now I think I know what it is, what caused it and how to make it subside so that along with hip getting better is a big step forward. I will climb those stairs some more and walk upstairs today later. Have to get some work done, I'm getting so behind on things with all this ice and meds and pain!! Thank you for the good wishes and wishing healing for your hips as well!
 
Hi @1stSurgery i'm sorry to hear about your pain and I hope it goes quickly.
I can sympathise about the knee pain. That's really the only place I had pain and mine came about a week after I got home. I thought I was doing really well and suddenly the knee was painful and swollen. So swollen that I could hardly bend the knee. Then the swelling spread down the leg and foot. I thought it was DVT. I guess it lasted about a week and then it all started getting back to normal and wasn't a problem after that.
Fingers crossed for you
 
@Bionic, it's another one of those things that would have been good to know about before surgery. A little caveat like: "--here is what we will be doing with the leg and what kinds of after effects you might feel, don't worry, it's normal and temporary". But to go in for a hip and come out with a fat bruised thrashed and throbbing knee can be disconcerting if you don't expect it! Sorry you had the same! Seems it is very common. Husband said he practically sees the handprints around the knee in back, side and front. Somebody very strong got a hold of that knee! I think beni Hana's Thursday assistant is the Incredible Hulk. Oy. Glad yours went away in a week. I'm hoping this one will leave very soon as well. Day 12 but.... WHO'S COUNTING?!
 
Overkill? Or that sucker was seriously stuck!
Frozen H2O is seriously wonderful.
Hope all eases soon @1stSurgery :friends:
 
@1stSurgery So sorry you regressed a bit this AM, and then found the oversized ice packs and applied along with all the other miscellaneous packs (!) and all that has helped.

I had a weird swelling on the outside mid calf, to the point I was worried about a clot. Kept asking hubs to look closely at it. I iced that sucker, and iced the heck out of my knee. The calf has subsided but I go to sleep with ice pack on my knee most bedtimes! I found the calf pack, knee pack, super large ice packs one on topside and other on bottom side of my thighs from knee to groin, plus the ice machine hip pad, worked wonders starting in week one. One can never have enough ice packs! IMO! I'm a total convert to more is better and for a much longer period of time!

I asked my surgeon what was done to my leg to dislocate it at my two week check up, and it involved a hand on that calf area (where it was swollen on the outside) and the knee!!! His demo on his own leg and then hands in the air to show the twist....it did justify all the icepacks :scaredycat:. I can't believe how much the ice alone has helped with the swelling, and pain. I hope, now that you have pretty much encased yourself from hip to ankle in ice, the swelling will subside and the pain will ease and you'll continue to have progress in the right direction...it has been a long 12 days for you :flabber:
 
@1stSurgery @Alitm That all sounds stressful as well as painful. Surely there will be a turning point soon, or maybe this is the beginning of it. I feel like a baby for complaining about the occasional electric-type thigh pain.

My 2¢ about getting behind on things, which I am too, is that it's good and healthy to want to be productive—but as the pt said to me the other day, "Healing from the surgery is your job right now."
 
I think it was glued in there with super glue @Mojo333 and they needed a janitorial crew to all come help yank it out! Ha!

@Alitm thats really something about your doctor demonstrating what they do with the leg. That yucky surgery video I watched, partly watched, started with incision but did not show the dislocation part. I have yet to see what that looks like. But yes, I have that same sore area outside the calf too. I find it funny that the area with al the slicing, pounding, sawing and reaming...is feeling ok. It's where Vinnie grabbed me that's killing me! Haha, kind of sickly funny. You really did take the icing seriously! You must have a big freezer! I'm sitting on the hip to ankle ice pads now. Not so bad, it really does help.

@EL11 ...never feel like a baby here in hippy ville. We all have license to whine here. That electrical thing is so bizarre first time you feel it. I didn't get it as much on this new one as before. It's unlike anything I'd felt before. Nerves that were cut trying to find their way back home! I had to tend to some work and did only a bit, an hour or two, and am back in bed as the human ice pack now. Getting on with the healing. I did make it upstairs and did a short mini walk, made a small lunch, had a friend visit for awhile. Very pleasant day and I do think that yesterday was a turning point of sorts. Otherwise I keep wanting to eat. Stomach is starting to show signs of medicated gnawing.

Day 12. But who's counting? :)
 
@ EL11 terrible grammar in my post to @1stSurgery. Sounded like I had my hip dislocated at my two week check up! I'm good tired tonight, thats my excuse and am sticking to it!

I did take the icing to heart and iced everthing that swelled the first couple of weeks! Now it is mostly my knee that bothers me, but less and less. I ice my hip after every walk around, because it is so easy to do with the ice machine!

@1stSurgery has had a real time of it wrestling down that second hip pain :sad:. I'm improving, slowly but surely, but boy does it ever take forever!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom