THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@Alitm i will vouch for you that autocorrect has been on a drinking binge lately or something on all my devices --- I've never seen or had to correct so many typos as the last few weeks!! Must be an Apple glitch going on....
 
It was almost a curse having such a trouble-free first surgery. All this normal stuff took me by surprise!
What's this?! Awful pain?! What?! Shattered knee? Calf pain, thigh pain, ankle pain, foot pain??? I came into this one unprepared. Now thanks to all of you and the mods i feel far more enlightened about what this is and how to deal with it. That in itself is calming.
THANK YOU ALL!!
:roseshwr:
 
@1stSurgery I've seen how much ice has helped with the horses' legs over the years, and we didn't ice for as long or as often, but then again I haven't had an equine THR to deal with :yikes:!! When I read the advice here to ice four times a day for 40 + mins post THR, I figured I might as well just stay ice if I was in the recliner! The ice machine makes it so easy to do. It really has made a difference! Truth be known, some of the smaller ice packs I have been using have been used on horse legs...now that will set all the germ-a-phoabes off :yikes::yikes: . Yes, I cleaned sanitized the packs before they came into the house!! :rotfl: .

I purchased the two big packs when still in bilateral mind set, and pre convinced the ice machine was a good thing (how did I EVER thing that?!). I'm great at stacking icepacks in the freezer :heehee:

I'll tell you a secret, but you must never tell my hubby, I secretly hope that my ice machine will fit onto the attachment for IceVibe boots for horses :heehee:
 
Ahh @Alitm - so you're an old icing pro with the horsies! Makes sense. Oh yes I do hope you purelled the ice packs so they didn't have....
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
HORSE GERMS!!!!
:rotfl:
And not to worry, I promise not to tell your husband, Mr Alitm!! Mums the word. It's a practical idea though, you have to admit.
They say day 3 is supposed to be the day when all the swelling bruising start to show up but mine was more like you, day 5. Now I just need to know the day they disappear! I love a good countdown.
I just ate so much food I feel like a huge gnocchi myself. Argh. Stuffed.
 
Good morning from the UK! “8:06

Calling in and wow, what a series of posts. @1stSurgery what a time you have been having but glad to see the “Hippie Calvary” lead by Miss Whiplash herself @lovesstars have been holding you back/cheering you on....I’m in the kayak, typically going the wrong way...
:fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::kayak:

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Love your husband re the gnocchi. There are times when our healing bodies cry out for Pasta and Pizza. Resistance is futile..

Nagging Alert!!
Re the stairs, maybe go back to the step up good leg then bring up back leg rather than try to do them “normally” for now. Think of the weight you are putting through your badly bruised one. You need to get up the stairs, NOT, prove how well and how fast you can do it for now! I overstretched a weak muscle doing exactly this so be careful!
End of nagging :)

I hope you have a better day today. Ice ice Baby!
 
HI @SurreyGirl and thanks for the stair alert! I'm taking them very slowly and carefully. Just prefer getting my own food from time to time rather than hubby having to keep playing butler! It is two wks tomorrow and this still feels inordinately long to be so relatively immobile. I know I know, no comparing etc!

I had to put in a few hours work today and could not use any narcotic meds so it's been an ice and Tylenol day so far. I'm just trying to ignore the pain. The ice really does help with than now that I'm freezing my entire right side into an ice block! I hope you're doing well and feeling better after your last occupational appointment and new work phase in times.

Still finalizing some business at hand, and getting.... zzzzzzzz sleeeeepy .... :sleep: :yawn:
 
Sorry you're having such a tough go of it this time.
I had knee issues post op also, swelling bruising, pain, tenderness...showed up 17 days post op.
Woke up to a bruised knee.
Mine has never been 100% since surgery. Had x-rays 6 mo post op and heard there's some arthritis but very mild. Never bothered me pre-op? :shrug: I'd like to know just how aggressive they get during dislocation. The thought makes me cringe.

Thanks for the birthday wishes on Bevlah's thread. Very sweet of you, I appreciate it.

I hope you sleep well tonight and that tomorrow is a better day.
@1stSurgery
 
Hiya @1stSurgery Hope you finished up all your business and are now icing, oxying and resting. Did you have a successful independent foraging expedition today? The struggle to be independent is immense....I get it!

:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Layla and you're most welcome! That's awful that your knee was never the same. I agree, we have a right to know just what they do with our leg in there during that dislo procedure. I now honestly think that all my problems in the second surgery stemmed from that "manhandling" (<-- not a sexist comment) that was done prior to surgery. I tolerated the cutting and sawing and reaming ok. But you can almost see the entire hand print around my knee in the bruise pattern, and at ankle. The major swelling has just now started to reduce and I'm icing like an igloo still! I'm sad about your knee though. It's not right we go in to fix a hip and come out with a bad knee!!
:bignono:
 
Hiya @1stSurgery Hope you finished up all your business and are now icing, oxying and resting. Did you have a successful independent foraging expedition today? The struggle to be independent is immense....I get it!

:flwrysmile:
Hi @Alitm - How are you doing today? Hope you're walking is still improving. I feel this time...at last.... I can finally safely say ....I've turned a corner!

Swelling is down, the super deep intense pain levels are down. I can touch the painful leg regions without sharp pain. Did the stairs a few times and even fixed a meal and a half! I'm a veritable hunter - gatherer!! Did a short walk with walker, I have that walker with 4 wheels and a cushioned seat so it's not a pain to push around and you can vary how much weight you put on it. And all of the above on just Tylenol!

So that's a huge improvement.:loveshwr: Pain still there but not the killer pain it was before. I think the constant icing has been very helpful in the corner turn. Now that we are icing the whole side. I'm like a frozen side of beef in this bed... But it's well worth it.
:ice:
 
@1stSurgery Thank goodness for corners...YAY :happydance:for you!!!

Tell me about the four wheel walker please! Did you get straight on that, skipping a two wheeler with slides? The PT at the joint class had us get two wheel walkers with the sliders on the back. I was happy with security of that for a wee bit, but probably could have graduated to the four wheel model on the way to crutches. We have a four wheeler with brakes and a seat, that we used for MIL when she was here. Will have to speak to OS about that at the six week check, when I'm clear headed, for the next surgery.

So glad the shift has occurred! :yes!: I put my shift down to :ice: from hip to heel :thumb:
 
Yes @Alitm the "Hip to Heel" was my saving grace too! Really does work wonders.

So let's see now, we have the 2P's-- Pumpkin & Prune -- for constipation.
The 3Ms -- Magnesium, Melatonin & Meditation -- for sleep.
And the 2H's -- Hip to Heel icing -- for pain!!
:ok:

Yes it sounds like the same Walker you used for your MIL. It's in the avatar photo <---- but hard to see, kitty rides on it! I like to use it for walks in the early days before I'm ready for the cane. And as I improve and pain recedes I can put less and less weight on the handles and just kind of push it lightly. The rickety 2 wheeled one the hospital gave me to go home with was useless and difficult to maneuver around, so I never used it and went direct to the 4 wheeler. It's like the sportscar model of walkers!! Haha, takes corners well, brakes well, and mine even has headlights! Good thing we don't stay on them too long or I'd be adding new wheel rims, hood ornaments... Wifi....

Hoping to graduate to the old cane in a few days. The next corner...
 
Thanks for the four wheel info...will get on to that as soon as I get home next time.

Going to whip out the melatonin tonight....I will sleep in bed!

Wishing you another corner very soon! :dancy:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom