THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

So glad the subject of clothing and shoes has come up @1stSurgery, @lovesstars, @Bionic, @SurreyGirl and @bickypeg and anyone else that I've missed! I have been lamenting about my bag lady look, PJ bottoms, comfortable riding shirt tops and bare feet!! I really want to wear some normal clothes, but still some swelling in my thigh and my feet (after walking) really sends me back to the few flowing type pants (I prefer a tailored look with shirts tucked in and belts, but not happening here!) and flowing tops. As it is getting cool here, I've whipped out a couple of turtlenecks, but they don't feel right either....and look awful with flowing pants! I have some easy to get on sketchers that I bought for the surgical occasion. I haven't been able to wear heels for a long time due to back issues, but still have a couple of more pump like shoes kicking around in my closet. I really need to do a major clean out, but can't pass 90 degrees....so will leave them for another day. I long to wear normal pants, but I just need to get over that right? I'm hoping I can wear something normal for a day even, before the next surgery! Even well fitting jeans and hiking boots would be great at this point!!! Whine, whine, whine!
 
@Alitm I bought new jeans-cut corduroys. I bought them in a size bigger than I normally wear and they are soft soft soft because they are corduroys. And because they are cut like jeans I feel like I am a normal person. I am hoping that when I drop a few pounds I’ll just wash them in hot water and shrink them.

That is me and my magical thinking. But it is working for now.
 
@lovesstars Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Self care is important to how one feels over all. I just had my staples out a week today, and have had a dry dressing on over the wound. The steri strips are still in place. I'm going to check in with OS to see if I should continue to keep the wound covered. I can shower as of today without a waterproof covering. I don't want to irritate the wound. Soft corduroys, one size up, sounds like just the ticket :)

Hope you are figuring out how to juggle Mum with your own rehab, and are looking forward to the trip...sounds like it is a go for you!! Something to look forward too :SUNsmile:
 
Hi guys (can't run the string of linked names so imagine your name here!)

So I did it. I just "watched" ...actually more like listened to.... one of the 1 hr. video on anterior approach THR.

It was so informative and excellent, I looked away at all gory parts and listened while surgeon explained it all. The opening he just went over the procedure and showed all tools, the Hana table ($80,000!!) and details about anterior. I peeked at the woman's femoral head to compare to mine --and hers was equally beat up, not round, But flat and gnarly on one side, much like mine. Her case was pretty severe with dysplasia. But her two wk check up was exemplary ...walking with cane, crossed legs!

I did this to be more educated and while WAITING FOR DR TO CALL BACK!!

I also went over the entire anatomy chart to be able to tell him exactly what hurts when. It's a lot. Hip to foot. But now I can describe it in Latin. Heh.

I've upped the pain meds, oxy, and got up at 2 am to take one after the 10pm one. Woke back up at 7 am in bad pain again, same bad pain. It's exacerbated by the slightest raise of that knee as in the start of a heel slide move and standing, weight bearing. If I lay in bed, icing like an igloo and on Oxy...I'm ok. Pain is @3. When I move certain ways it shoots up to 6-8 and is a very strong deep ache in hip, IT band, fibularis longus (!), etc. All the way down.

I'm starting to think it's the Vinnie move that got me here. My OS, very respected and head of the Dept at the hospital, did not have his regular crew that day. It was a last minute date change due remember, to an emergency on his end, and he moved it to a Friday. A day he doesn't do surgeries normally. Whole different crew from my last perfect operation ...which was on a Thursday. With the A-Team.

I think maybe they were rough on the dislo procedure and thus the deep muscular pains from hip to foot. Which would be good, if so, implying that the hip surgery itself is still likely to be fine, intact and as expertly done as the other one. Yep, I think Vinnie was maybe too rough with me.

I will read these posts now and yes, much needed topic on clothes and shoes post op!! Will get into that as well. I not going anywhere.. :)
 
Last edited:
More importantly, re post op clothing!

@Alitm - what I did when left one started getting to where I could dress a bit more easily, was move from the huge baggy pants I'd ordered from Target specifically for post op time, into my regular athletic pants and softer looser leggings. It was easy to use the grabber to hold open where the foot goes in ...on the floor, and once the foot got in ...easy to pull up and squirm into. I have lots of leggings and they're soft and comfy on the wound area. The big baggy pants are easiest to put on and off ...but any soft structure legging is almost as easy. Another trick with leggings is you can use the sock putter-onner to get into them also. I used the ubiquitous grabber! Love that tool! What else can you find that will forklift your popcorn cakes into bed, pick up cat food dish, as well as get your panties on?! :snork:

I got a great slip-on shoe from FitFlop, black kind of woven shoe with large white rubber sole, built in arch. My sister had them and I loved that they were both super comfy and cute. Not cheap but a good everyday shoe is important post THR. That's my go to shoe now ...that and my grey memory foam slippers! And some sketchers, always comfy. But for hospital PT I looked for a very easy to slip into and out of shoe and this FitFlop has been perfect. Wore it to beach, park, picnics, anywhere.

I will want to try to get back to my heels at some point, probably some distant point. Maybe my holiday party? Mostly because I need to maximize the return on the yield of the investment!! :yikes::yikes: (Homage to @lovesstars!)
Seriously, I could've bought gold bullion. Plus they're sitting in the closet looking so forlorn and lonely. But that will be a 2019 project and if it doesn't work, I will be happy to give them away.

Other clothing I got were big loose flowing pull over the head dresses, in casual, easy to wear fabrics. All low priced since I figured these were just for surgery recovery period. Those worked well for California hot days. Easy. The last thing I think I will get into are the jeans, the tight jeans. Too stiff and hard to manipulate.
 
@1stSurgery It has been 24 hrs since you called your OS. You have been polite and given him 24 hrs wait, but wait no more...CALL AGAIN! He needs to know how much pain you are in NOW :xmark::xmark::xmark:
I've been through the callback wait with them. They always get back, usually the next day. I will wait a few hours more. Right now I'm in one of the good zones, icing and on meds. Thank you though @Alitm!!
 
Hey @1stSurgery , I am sorry you are still having such pain after your op, and hope you get to the bottom of it, and heal up soon.

Your sense of humor really appeals to me - I rate your cat scratch post as one of the funniest I have ever read on here.

I am rooting for you to be pain free in super quick time, and will be checking in on your progress.

PS. If you find yourself going fir the cat food, change meds, and get help
Why thank you @Harryn1 - so happy you enjoyed that! I will take note of the cat food allure should it happen! Lol! This cat is so spoiled she sometimes eats better than us... No cat should recognize the words "Ahi tuna"....

And thanks so much for the pain free wishes, right back at ya! THR= Not for sissies.
 
Clothes are so important for us girls. I bought lots of Boden dresses in the sale- wouldn't have looked at them a few years ago- but quite pretty and a bit like wearing a nightie as it's been hot enough for bare feet and no tights. And often no bra!(lowering the tone again) More problematic now. Leggings, jeggings,anything tight round my knees is no good. Got some smartish jogging bottoms but they are practical not attractive. Make me feel like a slob. Oh to find decent shoes though. Left foot on operated side still tends to blow up a little by the end of the day but this may have been ongoing for a while before the operation. Others have mentioned Skechers but they're surprisingly expensive?
 
@bickypeg maybe they're expensive over there, sketchers. We have sketchers outlets here where they're always on big sales and you can find them pretty cheap.

And yes, you seem to have become our resident tone-lowerer around here! Tough gig!
:loll:
 
Those remind me of a pair of Sketcher Go Walks I purchased through QVC.
I also recently bought a pair of Clark's suede ballet flats from them and they look totally normal!!
Super comfy. They do cost a bit more but to me it's well worth the comfort and style. I refuse to wear old lady shoes, Nuh uh! I've also grown to appreciate the easy access of slip ons, even though I can tie my shoes.

Sketchers, Clarks, Vionic and Naturalizer have all finally progressed to making shoes that have comfort and support in mind without looking orthopedic.
@1stSurgery
 
@1stSurgery I like those ballet fitflops....they are fun. They'll be super for visiting family in Bda heh heh!! I'd have them filthy in a minute on the farm here though....I :bolt: when I see lovely white soles :sad:.
I purchased a pair of sketchers that look like a hybrid between ballet flats and sneakers! They are interesting enough (yet super comfortable) to not look like old lady shoes . I also purchased a really great pair of two tone Clark loafers....very stylish (I'm a RL wannabe!), super comfy, but not old lady ish, at a discount shoe store here in town...always a deal to be had. Got the Sketchers there too. I'm going with bare feet around the house. Have some comfy LL Bean slippers, but that first week my feet would swell up to the point I couldn't get them on. The minute I left the room to go to the loo, my Rhodesian would steal the slippers away and chew them!! I gave up!

@Layla...like the sound of those suede Ballet slippers!
 
Thanks all. A few to look out for. I find Clarks are too narrow for me. Do ballet flats stay on OK?
 
These do for me @bickypeg you can read the reviews at the link to see what people said who bought them. I'm 100% satisfied. I think they run large...can't remember but imagine reviews will say that if so.
 
:hi:Glad you are trying you stay distracted as you wait for your call.
Panic and stress bad on your immune system.
So sweet that you've incidentally caused a panic amongst your BS friends and well wishers on your behalf.:yikes:
No one wants you in pain @1stSurgery ... including me!:console2:
Hope you get some relief very soon!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 but yesterday I said today would be a turnaround day, woke up in same pain ...but I have to say... I am feeling somewhat better now. Hard to tell if it's more meds or actual progress. I took a full head of hair shampoo shower and am going to dress in real clothes soon (better late than...) --just for psychological value. And, if the better feeling persists...again, will try the stairs. Again. My husband seems to think lunch is an overrated idea but my protein hungry body thinks lunch is a survival concept. :) And the food is up those stairs.

I don't want anyone to panic on my account!! I'm sorry if they do! I was panicked at first but am settling into the idea that this hip was just an adopted foster hip that as such had little resemblance to her brother, lefty. Ahhh, lefty. Now there was a man. He is doing perfectly by the way.
 
I wish you had a dumb waiter...no, not DH!:)
Don't think those stairs and your new hip like each other.
I really wish I could bring you a pizza!
Hope you get some rest tonight!:roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom