Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I concur - 7 out of 8 Bone-obo's recommend ice cream for depression! (Hagen Daz rum raisin.)

Let the ODICs go run marathons and hike Machu Picchu after re-roofing the house and doing ten loads of laundry.
Careful now - you're giving some of us ideas....

Glad you're doing so well! You're the week following mine, so good on ya for making this look easy!
 
So I just downed half a pint of smooth rich dark chocolate ice cream....and I must say it definitely helped!!
:heehee: .
Sorry you are dealing with those frustrating post op blues. Great description how our bodies and minds can't quite sync!
Hope today is a better day!:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @1stSurgery
Ben & Jerry's my personal fave....is there a bad one? Apparently so because they have a Flavor Graveyard.
If for no other reason, look it up, it's amusing.
It's too bad your other hip is holding you back because it sounds like you're doing well otherwise.
Post Op Blues can happen but thankfully it's usually fleeting. Stop by here often, we'll do our best to encourage, cheer and try to make you laugh. You've got this!
Hope today is great!
 
Sounds like an ice cream thread is needed! I'm very serious though about it significantly helping yesterday's blues. Well it did take quite a lot of spoons full....but it was a hot day!

@Bone-obo ive never had rum raisin but happen to love rum anything, (former life as a Pirate) will have to try! And do not try re-roofing during recovery, please. The ODIC clubhouse is at standing room only and nobody is standing very long after having overdone it. The OCC clubhouse on the other hand is ...nearly empty.. :loll:

@Gidget ...ooh, another flavor to try, mango passion fruit! Next hip surgery, very soon, I'm going to add ice Cream, multiple flavors, on the freezer pre-stock list!

Thanks @Mojo333 ...there is a lot of that body / mind disparity involved for sure. This one has gotten me revising plans for the next hip replacement now. Originally I thought November would be good, recover during holidays, slow work period etc. Now I'm thinking August or September... Need to be fully functional for some events in late October but with left one healed I suspect righty will be hopping along relatively quickly as opposed to this current set up. Will decide in a week or two. Walking the track this weekend, probably in 100 degree heat. Note to self: Need more ice cream. :happydance:

@Layla, thanks again and yes Ben & Jerry's is really good! Someone makes a great chocolate cherry chip that I think I need to buy... ;) Yes the left hip has really been very nice at a slow steady progress without any major setbacks, all good. Somehow I had set expectations too high though that the right side might mellow and play nice once lefty was up and kicking. This was clearly an error!! My only concern would be doing the second one while, technically the first was still in healing mode.... Would that be laying too much trauma / pressure on the body. The not so young body! Housing the young spirit... Don't want to weaken immunity or anything by doing them too close together... :shrug:
 
Should have just got them both done...at once. Then, all golden by fall.
No seriously...we've had many here who have had them spaces three months...and one member...one week apart.
Can't hardly believe it. Wish I could remember name! @Layla, do you remember?
Glad you are feeling a little less dumpy.
You will get through this...one flavor at a time!:giggle:
 
Should have just got them both done...at once. Then, all golden by fall.
No seriously...we've had many here who have had them spaces three months...and one member...one week apart.
Can't hardly believe it. Wish I could remember name! @Layla, do you remember?
Glad you are feeling a little less dumpy.
You will get through this...one flavor at a time!:giggle:
:snork: One flavor at a time, like that!!

I just read the Gundo thread, she was only 2 weeks apart! After my OS explained the gravity of what our bones alone go through, I just don't think I would want to do them so close... Like having a huge car accident twice in 2 wks! I'm in very good overall health and fitness, but I'd still like to allow the body the proper recovery time before I turn around and assault her again! However long that is.... Is the question..
 
Don't get me wrong...I do get it.
I only have my experience of both.
If you told me one week, one month, or maybe even five months after a THR that I was going to get to do it again....they might've had to catch me first.:heehee:
The amazing part is...it worked...and so that would be my incentive!
Life without hip pain....priceless!
(Well 140 thousand dollars, but...priceless)
 
Thanks for your humor and updates! hubby bought me a lot of Ben and Jerry's. I have no control! Mmmm....Carmel Core!
 
Yes, I do remember her, Mojo, especially because I found it shocking. Brave soul!
You couldn't have payed me enough to go back exactly one week post op, Nuh uh!
It was DJJFPC -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/posts/1163183/

I'm with you @1stSurgery I'd want to give my body time to heal.

In my unprofessional opinion...if one has the courage and opportunity to undergo bilateral, the advantage is one surgery, one time under anathesia and one recovery...although you'd assume it would be more difficult recovering with two injured legs.

I recall being nervous for my dad about 7 yrs ago when at age 73, he had each hip replaced five months apart. It felt too soon to me and I worried. He was in good health and did just fine. This was before I knew about BoneSmart and read firsthand how close together some undergo these surgeries and do well.
You have to do what feels right for you. We'll be here supporting you no matter what. That's a promise!
Hope you have a great weekend!
@1stSurgery
 
Last edited:
Hello @luvsibes! You're welcome and I hope you enjoyed family visits and are doing well, not joining the ODIC!

@Layla - very torn between jumping into 2nd soon.... or holding till November. There is the physical and the psychological component begging me to hold off and try to have some short period in between where I'm not a patient, not in pains, not needing so much help with stuff... And there is the wanting to allow lefty a full recovery without distractions or interruptions.... Going to see how next week or two go with more normal activities, and if the right side becomes unbearable in pain or if it's tolerable, or what. Would really love just a month off from being a patient!!

Thank you for the consistent support, again! Great site to have for so much information and encouragement.
 
Went to the track yesterday afternoon, finally. Walked really well (although not that far, a few laps...) even though I was very tired-- walked half of the time without the cane and half with. Hubby and GF were all excited and taking videos! Was great to see the gorgeous gardens at our track, and how everything had grown since I was last there. Then I sat under a gazebo with my girlfriend and just chatted. Just like normal people do!! :ok:

As self appointed head of the Overly Careful & Cautious Club, I didn't want to try to bite off more than I could chew by adding laps on first time out..

But I do tire quickly, probably because of that dang right hip. Paid for it last night with some very noticeable pains in both legs and hips. All ok though. Today it has subsided after a good sleep, which I'm learning is the key to more comfort, less pain.... a good sleep.
 
Hi @1stSurgery
I think you tire quickly because you're not even six weeks post op from a major surgery.
You're doing really well though! I bet you'll decide soon enough how you want to proceed with
your right hip.
Stay in the OCCC, it's much less painful than the ODIC.
I hope you have a great week!
 
Hello @1stSurgery
You are 1 day ahead of me in the recovery phase. I understand how good it feels to get moving again. My OS told me it's ok to "be scared" and cautious. I refuse to go anywhere with crowds, lines, or too much standing. I take my cane if we're out as it seems to make folks give me space!

We have to listen to our bodies and know our limits which is always challenging for me. I've paced myself for years due to fibromyalgia which I believe is in remission (except the night after surgery when my entire body was on fire!). I've been walking also and find that I'm sleeping better now that I'm moving. I imagine that having the other hip challenging you tires you out sooner. I'm still napping most afternoons.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get out and hang with friends. That really makes a difference!

Sending you some healing thoughts and vibes today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy for you that you are seeing progress!
That energy drain is for real but you sound like you are doing great!
A lot of healing happens with a Good sleep!
Hope today is a Good Day!:tada:
 
Paid for it last night with some very noticeable pains in both legs and hips. All ok though. Today it has subsided after a good sleep, which I'm learning is the key to more comfort, less pain.... a good sleep.
I always found that to be the key to knowing how much exercise was right: how I felt the next day. Generally, the "right" amount of exercise always makes me feel better - springier, energetic, and almost normal! The only bad part is that too much exercise makes me feel that way, too, until the next day. And the day after that....

Good on ya for staying cautious!
 
Thanks so much @Layla @luvsibes @Bone-obo @Mojo333 for the reassurances and endorsement of the OCC cautious club! I'm returning to the track today for another go at adding laps. Having been such a big Walker my whole life it feels odd to be here but yes I know...major surgery, 5 weeks, still healing.... The best fun lately has been sleeping on my side again. I think I'm actually smiling in my sleep!! Have that perfect memory foam pillow between the knees -- my back is very grateful to not be stuck in that dreaded flat out position for 7 hrs a night anymore! I just canceled an August travel event for work that I knew was iffy when it was booked but again, the OCC club doesn't travel to chaotic events requiring tons of activities jammed into two days during recovery! Id be tossed out of the club for that.
Healing vibes sent back to you @luvsibes! :loveshwr: We are doing pretty well I'd say. Those afternoon naps do feel so indulgent and lovely! I have to stop them now since I'm back on contact lenses and it's too much trouble. My car is in the shop but as soon as it's back I will be driving again, next phase. Best of energy to your healing!

Stupid question for those of you past 5 weeks. The operated hip is tender to touch and also often pained after walking --right at the acetabulum area, and sometimes radiates downward... which is where I had a labral tear in that same hip, before surgery. Is this a common post-surgical achey place, 5-6 wks out? The feeling, after walking, is so similar to the arthritic aches I felt before, that it worries me.
 
Hi @1stSurgery - Congrats on sleeping on your side! I can do that for a short period but my right arm and shoulder do not like it. I had switched to that side several months pre-surgery and my shoulder has been unhappy since. (It seems I fix one body part and another wants to rebel!). I am also soooo tired of sleeping on my back which I've been doing for many months. I'm a left side sleeper but have to wait for all the wound stuff on the left to heal.

I am a walker also. My big goal, however, is to sit on the floor gracefully and comfortably to do some mat yoga and snuggle my dog. My op hip is tender to the touch also as the wound heals. I'm down to just 3 or 4 steri-strips. I lightly and gently massage the area to help the nerve endings per my PTs. I make energy figure 8's. I only seem to have hip pain when I stand from sitting awhile. I also had torn labrum in the groin area which was what first hurt during my 4 yr. journey to avoid surgery. I have minimal pain once I'm standing and am ok walking and after. Muscle tightness plaques my left quad muscle and IT band and the PT does some soft tissue massage after my session. I love massage so I massage the quad/IT periodically too. The pain now is nothing compared to pre-op. I had quit walking pretty much all together. I used to limp along behind hubby and pup but quit a few weeks before surgery as I'd come back in tears.

I thought I was through with napping but totally crashed yesterday wondering if I'm doing too much. I read and slept most of the day! I slept pretty well last night and am on ice as I type. I feel ready for a good day today and will walk behind the pup and hubs this morning again. I also feel the impact of my activity the day after the day after!

We're doing well, I think, @1stSurgery. We'll keep supporting each other and moving forward one step at a time!
 
Good Morning @1stSurgery
Consider tagging Josephine for the pain that is plaguing you at 6 weeks post op.
She'd probably have some questions for you and then offer some insight.
Something to ponder...
Hope today is a good day!
 
Thanks @luvsibes - for sharing the info- we have a lot in common it seems. Sorry you've not been able to sleep on the left side. I have been happy with right side sleeping, haven't tried the operated side yet. I too have those pesky last 3 strips that don't want to drop off! Wound looks very good though above and below, healing nicely.

Woke up today with the dreaded Five Week Blues that I kept noticing people experiencing here. It's like grief cycles, but it seems around 5 weeks there is a depressed period that comes. I cried it out but basically in my case I think it was the realization that I won't be able to have the little respite between surgeries that I'd hoped for, the right side was very bad to begin with and has grown worse, quite a bit worse, to where it appears I can't resume normal activities until it too is replaced. I was so sad this morning thinking about starting the whole ordeal all over again, so soon. Hubby talked me off the edge and a few friends too. Had a brief pity party followed by an unusual and intense LA thunderstorm! Huge thunder and lightning, right over the house! Cat scampering in fear. And as fast as my tears left, the rain stopped too.

How is your other hip @luvsibes ? I didn't see you mention if it too needs a THR or if it's ok? I know I'd be good today if I had a decent other hip. I think the test will be next week when my car is back from the mechanic (everything is being rebuilt around here!) I I'll try to resume normal marketing activities and such, plus some work...and see how I do. If it's as dismal as yesterday at the track... I'll have to start the schedule for surgery #2..while still healing from #1. I hope your progress continues at a steady smooth pace! Thanks again for your notes, it really does help to hear some of our symptoms echoed by others in similar timeframes.

And wouldn't you know it-- I'm out of ice cream just as the 5 Week Blues hits?!

I think we need a hipster blues song ...

"I got the 5 week blues,
but I can tie my shoes,
I'm sleepin on my side,
but the right hip's fried.
Now the ice cream's gone
so I sing this song,
I got those 5 week bluuuuues!!

Feel free to add verses!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom