THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Good Morning @1stSurgery
Consider tagging Josephine for the pain that is plaguing you at 6 weeks post op.
She'd probably have some questions for you and then offer some insight.
Something to ponder...
Hope today is a good day!
Thanks @Layla - it's so mild I'm not going to bother Josephine with it at this point, unless it should become worse. I was worried it might not be normal post op pain but I think all those sporadic aches and pains and tingles must just be the settling in of the new hip while the rest of the body "community" is working on accepting the invader! The right Unoperated side pain is pretty constant, that familiar OA deep ache. It's different and non-changing. Let's see if it subsides, pretty sure it will!
 
Hi @1stSurgery
Perfect, that's why I left it up to you to tag, Josephine.
I like your description of the new hip (invader) settling in with the body "community."
There are a lot of new sensations and even some odd pain early into recovery. If anything persists
or worsens, please check with your OS or Josephine.
I hope you have a great end to the week!
 
@1stSurgery -

I love your little song! Great chuckle this morning. I can relate but I can't tie my shoes! I had to switch from hubby's buying of Ben & Jerry's back to Skinny Cow as my weight was climbing! I'm walking more now too and lost 1 1/2 lb. (big amount for 5' and over 60!)

My right hip is fine. My left was totally deteriorated and OS said it looked like someone poured battery acid on it. My pelvis was tilted (birth or accidents from falls over the years I don't know but likely congenital as dad had major OA and mom had a curved spine). That was fixed with the prosthesis and I'm evenly balanced now so have high hopes that all will maintain now. When are you doing the right hip? I think I missed that in your posts. The good part is you know what to expect and how to reccover this time around.

So 90710 go a thunderstorm? I'm near the beach (Long Beach area) and we had a few sprinkles and lots of humidity. It was overcast and cooler yesterday (yea - we've been waiting for a new AC system to be installed since the 109 degree day last week when ours crashed and couldn't be fixed!) Ugh! I love Hawaii but a daily dose of humidity without the beach is getting tough!

I'm on ice as I write and will get ready to follow hubs and pup on a mile plus slow walk. No cane...it killed my already sensitive right arm (which was just wrapped in a heating pad!) Geez...now ice for the arm!

Pace yourself. I know you know that but it seems we all need reminders! Keep us posted on your progress as you get back into the world more too!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Layla. Leftie seems to have slow and steady progress daily, the aches are improving so I don't worry about that one for now. There are big hard pea sized "knots" under the stitches which I'm sure are normal but they're very hard. Loving side sleeping, I will say!! Ahhh, Simple pleasures....

@Mojo333 - I think I've read too much warfare / geopolitical analysis, causing me to call my new titanium friend an "invader"! I'm trying to welcome her to the neighborhood. But right hip is being such a bad sport about all this! :snork: Should have done the double trouble like you did! Hindsight...
 
Hope you had a fun walk @luvsibes !! I'd walk my cat if I could, it's about my pace now...or maybe I should get a pet turtle to walk...!? Kitty is an indoor cat though, we live in the hills in coyote country.

So I envy you your better other hip but not your upper body / arm pains! Glad you're balanced now and it sounds like you're taking pretty significant walks. Good for you!! I'm so anxious to get there but the Gatekeeper, horrid witchy right hip, just won't allow it. So original plan was November for right side but now I'm looking at August or sept. Have events in October I need to be pretty mobile for. I was seriously thinking I'd be ok on one good hip for a few months. Doesn't look feasible. But all in all I can't complain since leftie has been so trouble free thus far.

Thanks for checking in. Yes, let's keep updates coming! I know it's time for full healing here, since there's almost nothing left on Netflix I haven't seen. It's a sure sign....
 
I can guess you aren't that excited about having to go through these first gauntlets so soon with your other hip, but with both done...then you can be on your way.
I'm sure your surgeon feels you are healthy and able to manage it.
Many have said...don't see how you did both, but mine were both so bad...can't imagine having to deal with a bad one while nursing the good one.
Eat well and stay healthy.
Sorry righty won't wait, but double hippy Happy when all is done!
Have a good weekend, @1stSurgery
 
I agree @1stSurgery about running out of movies and TV series to watch. I've also read 3 books during this time. I love the idea of walking a pet tortoise! I look forward to being able to walk Togo again. Now, I follow along behind but my pace is picking up and my gait is so much better than pre-surgery. I'm glad your kitty is in-doors. We have a coyote challenge in my area of LA too. Lately, owls and birds are picking up little dogs and carrying them off!

I know the challenge of having a second hip done must be a bit stressful but you know the routine now so some of that stress may be relieved.

Keep that wonderful humor of yours. We'll all stay in touch and support each other.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 and @luvsibes for the kind words!! I guess I'll just reverse the bedroom around for the other side, get out of bed on right side, move tray table to right side. Keep all tools and accessories on right side. It's probably best I don't think too much about it and just book it, get it done. Like that first dive into a cold pool!

Next question, do you guys have very hard "knots" beneath your stitches, scar tissue, I guess? And is that going to remain like that, all lumpy like stones under the skin?

Tomorrow wil be my first work outing with a good bit of walking involved as well. Kind of nervous but excited to move forward. Will have to take the dear cane due to incalcitrant angry bratty right hip. I'm sure an icing party is in store for tomorrow night!!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!!
 
Next question, do you guys have very hard "knots" beneath your stitches, scar tissue, I guess? And is that going to remain like that, all lumpy like stones under the skin?
Yes, mine was lumpy and bumpy for many months ...but one side is almost completely smoothed out...the other side has a few small knotty spots.
You are way too early out to tell what will be.
1st Surgery, please do use the cane and try not to overdo.
Two months is still very early for your new hip!
I hope you have a Good Day.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the bump info, @mojo. And the warning to not overdo it. I've just completed the full day of work and quite a bit of activity ---and all is well. :yay:

Declined a few extra stairs here and there, sat or perched as needed, and even stopped at the coffee bean and enjoyed a mocha iced blended on the patio. In a normal low stiff chair! Those little things...used the cane, but only because of the other nagging hip....she's relentless... home and icing now, feeling fine. I did take an Advil before heading out for the day and think that made the first day back working more tolerable.

Only downside was I woke up today with a recurrence of the right eye "chalazion" thingy; red, swollen, painful. So no lenses, no eye makeup, no fun... Since the last one lasted over a month, doing hot compresses endlessly, I am not happy to possibly be starting over with yet another long healing. Argh, just want to be back to my healthy bouncy self!! The one that isn't going from hot compresses to icing all day!

Leaning towards scheduling the other hip in maybe early September. Either way -- 2019 looks like it will be a much better year!

Thanks for checking in and always watching over all us hippies. :angel:
 
Oh my stars...poor eye! Hope it doesn't take that long this go around.
You will get back to your bouncy (easy bouncing:heehee:) self.
I was back to work earlier than recommended so I stayed exhausted and did little else after I got home - save ice and elevate.

Month four was my biggest turn around.
I started to feel like my old self and though there was still lots of healing still going on, I knew this surgery would prove to be my saving grace.
And it is!:yahoo:
Hang in there...you've got this!:) :-) (:
 
1stSurgery - QUOTE: Only downside was I woke up today with a recurrence of the right eye "chalazion" thingy; red, swollen, painful. So no lenses, no eye makeup, no fun... Since the last one lasted over a month, doing hot compresses endlessly, I am not happy to possibly be starting over with yet another long healing. Argh, just want to be back to my healthy bouncy self!!
Hi! I'm glad your day back at work went well and you were able to rest when you got home. I love that Mojo333
keeps us on track with patience and reminders to pace ourselves!

I saw the red eye thing. I had a similar thing last week but it wasn't painful - just the whites of my right eye turned bright red. Just as I was starting to feel and look like myself again, there was no makeup and the glaring eye. My PT noticed it right away. I decided to stop the aspirn and all NSAIDs for awhile. Back to tylenol only as needed and my 1/2 tramadol at night. It's clearing now. I feel like just when I get one body part in health, another one wants to act up!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 ...interesting about month four, looking forward to it. Still haven't decided on when to do the right hip. Eye has improved today already so maybe it won't be like the last one. Universe seems to want me grounded right now for some reason. I must have been bad.... :no-fin:
 
I saw the red eye thing. I had a similar thing last week but it wasn't painful - just the whites of my right eye turned bright red. Just as I was starting to feel and look like myself again, there was no makeup and the glaring eye. My PT noticed it right away. I decided to stop the aspirn and all NSAIDs for awhile. Back to tylenol only as needed and my 1/2 tramadol at night. It's clearing now. I feel like just when I get one body part in health, another one wants to act up!

Wow, that sounds like a broken blood vessel, @luvsibes. And yep could be a result of NSAIDs. My eye swelling went down a touch thank goodness. Dabbed it with a little colloidal silver on a Q-tip. I'm off cane at home now which is so nice to be able to use my hands to carry stuff up and down stairs! Left hip - operated one- is doing so well in her recovery I so wish I could take her for a proper walk to reward her. Jealous angry right hip says No.
Went to the track last night at sundown, so beautiful, but still only a lap or two. It's ok, it will prompt me to get the other done and over with. You keep posting updates @luvsibes ...we are doing pretty well I'd say with very few if any setbacks. Onward!
 
Universe seems to want me grounded right now for some reason. I must have been bad.... :no-fin:
:console2:Bad events befall good people too!
You aren't being punished...just some struggles that are temporary and will all be part of your story.
Hang in there...you won't be sorry you got this done.
Think TEMPORARY!:tada:
 
@1stSurgery - Keep up the good work. If our LA weather would settle down, it would be great! I'm glad you could get to the track in the evening when things do cool down a bit. We are walking Togo (well, hubby is and I am following slow and steady...not quite ready to walk a young husky again myself!) early morn and late eve! Sending you healing thoughts and energy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again @Mojo333 for the steady cheerleading and support!! That "temporary" word is getting very well used around here lately. Trying to come to grips with turning around and going right back in again so soon for the other hip.... All my friends keep telling me the same thing....TEMPORARY!! It's just a kind of a long temporary... :snork:

@luvsibes Its so nice to have a dog to walk for recovery! You'll be catching up to them in no time, I'm sure. I had to briefly grieve the realization that I wasn't going to be walking properly ...until number 2 gets replaced. It threw me since first few weeks went so well. But bad hip got worse while new hip was healing. Was not expecting that. Makes sense though, it was more taxed, with log leg being out of service for awhile! So now I'm motivated, (largely by intense pain!) - to schedule it soon and get her done.
Continued healing and success to you! :loveshwr:
 
:giggle:Hey, I should have talked you into bilateral. I'm sorry.
You might've been double miserable...temporarily!

It is tough...don't want you to think I'm making light or don't sympathize, but I am very sorry hip #2 is making this recovery harder.
Good mojo coming at you...it was my first surgery too...unless you count an appendectomy at 15 that was no big deal.:loveshwr:
 
:giggle:Hey, I should have talked you into bilateral. I'm sorry.
You might've been double miserable...temporarily!

It is tough...don't want you to think I'm making light or don't sympathize, but I am very sorry hip #2 is making this recovery harder.
Good mojo coming at you...it was my first surgery too...unless you count an appendectomy at 15 that was no big deal.:loveshwr:
Aw thanks!! I was not brave enough to do a bilateral so it may not have mattered! Time to put my big girl pants on and just make that appointment. ...Soon.... Can't complain all in all with operated hip doing so well, hoping the twin will be a breeze. A temporary breeze. :)
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom