THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Just needed to grouse a little. Grrr. Those annoying people who keep telling you about their father's uncle's fourth wife who had HER hip replaced and she was swimming in the pool four days later!

Yes I just got that one from someone I've been working intensely with the past few weeks... and due to super long work days and nights this week - I ended up with a horrific flare up of --not the Good operated hip --but the Bad temperamental Hip. So bad I was forced back in bed today, unable to stand on it without tears. I told this guy that my work would be limited this one day, today, due to recovery from hip replacement, etc. And then I got "the story". We all get the story don't we?

"My paper boy's cousin's grandfather had that done and he was competing in professional skateboarding on day 5!!"

Told the concern troll that it wasn't the operated hip causing trouble ...but he was on to the next subject by then.

I think they believe we are making up lame excuses to not work around the clock and that hip replacement falls somewhere between getting a haircut and a tooth pulled. Did I say Grrr?!

Ok, I'm better.

Broke down and took Advil and rested. Monday I will make that call to schedule next surgery. ...I think....unless I chicken out.

Thank you to BoneSmart and its admins and angels for keeping us all (semi) sane in trying times and letting us know ...its normal. :friends:
 
Oh no....I just realized.... Say it isn't so!!

This working long hours days on end stuff ....doesn't qualify me for the ODIC does it??

Because that could get me kicked out of the (small but very empowered) OCC! Which would be tragic.
 
This working long hours days on end stuff ....doesn't qualify me for the ODIC does it??
:xmark: Yes ma'am it sure does.
And not even two months post op..
You might be lucky it is your bad hip:umm:

Seriously, the members escape me at this very moment but know if at least two or three here recently bemoaning NEW hip done...bad hip DONE...all seemingly very suddenly.
I don't believe most of "those" AMAZING recovery stories, and alot of those with easy first months...overdo and have issues they won't admit .

We had a ball removed from our hip, a liner inserted and a stem stuck into our femer.
I keep my X-ray's on my phone to watch them cringe!
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
 
Last edited:
Haha! Those are some purty pictures of the twins @Mojo333!! Would make a heartwarming holiday card cover! Love that you carry them with you :)

But please don't put me in the ODIC! I promise to be good. Work issues should be the exception anyways. Not like I was out taking kickboxing lessons or bull riding or ...having FUN!! :snork:
 
I get it...I can still hit the ODIC as I have a very physical job.
I'm grateful for my surgery and the benefit I have received...not anxious to do it again :unsure: so I try to put myself first (as much as possible when one has responsibilities)
Take extra time to cool this weekend!:ice:
Tomorrow is FRIDAY!:yahoo:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 On cooling....I'm convinced I need better ice packs for number 2 hip. It's been unseasonably hot here, but my gel packs are only cold for about 10-15 minutes and I'm craving more freezing of the pain. Will explore others before I do next one.
 
Check out Chattanooga gel pacs on Amazon. I have 2 that have taken me through 2 TKR and a THR! I keep them both in the freezer all the time - when they're not on a body part!
Thanks @Thesoutherncook!! Will do that. And I can sing Chatanooga Choo Choo throughout recovery, an added benefit!! :)
Edit to add: which size do you use? The big ones for the back or the next size down? Didn't see any hip recommended ones. Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
Don't forget if you Click on the rotating blue Amazon banner at the top of the page for all your Amazon shopping and part of your purchase total will be donated to BoneSmart through our parent company, The Foundation for Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM).
 
Don't forget if you Click on the rotating blue Amazon banner at the top of the page for all your Amazon shopping and part of your purchase total will be donated to BoneSmart through our parent company, The Foundation for Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM).
Thanks @Mojo333 - I did not realize that, even though I now see it in the fine print on your post. Will do!
Yesterday was my technical 2 month anniversary I think - if you just go by the weeks. I know it was a Thursday since that's trash day here! And everything would be on track if the bad leg weren't bad so I'm pleased with the progress and thankful to everyone here. Each story you read of someone else's THR offers new info and ideas.
 
... Those annoying people who keep telling you about their father's uncle's fourth wife who had HER hip replaced and she was swimming in the pool four days later!...

Yes, I got one of those last night when I was finally out for wee bit of socializing. In this case it was a woman who had THR one day, then was on her walker for 2 days, followed by a cane for 1 day, and then she was driving. And swimming. Yah, right.
 
Yes, I got one of those last night when I was finally out for wee bit of socializing. In this case it was a woman who had THR one day, then was on her walker for 2 days, followed by a cane for 1 day, and then she was driving. And swimming. Yah, right.
They drive me crazy those stories!! Lol! Maybe because I always get them on one of the bad pain days when I'm ill equipped to humor the story tellers! Tall Tales from the THR Storybook. I'm sure we could compile quite a list of them here amongst us!
 
You know what, I agree about those stories, but I have one. Not about myself but my 81 yr old mother.
She had her second THR a little over four months ago in March.
My sister picked her up from the hospital upon discharge, while I was at her home waiting to spend the overnight with her. I placed her walker in her garage in a position for her to easily access as soon as she got out of the car. Instead, she comes walking up the steps with a cane!
I basically scolded her and told her she needed to use her walker. She begrudgingly complied for a few days
(raced around like a mad woman with it) but before her one week Anniversary, she was walking around without an assistive device. She maintained it "got in her way!" It took me 11 days to even attempt the cane, then using it until I was three weeks post op. How do you think I was feeling about myself, lol :heehee: Like a big Slacker!!

At any rate I brought it up on the forum at the time and someone mentioned that some of the elderly don't feel pain as you do when you're younger.

I do think a lot of those stories are BS, don't mean BoneSmart, lol. But I witnessed this craziness firsthand.
I must add that this is the same woman who climbed a ships mast on a cruise at age 80.
Cray, Cray :heehee:
Glad she didn't pass it down to me. Haha!
@1stSurgery
 
Last edited:
That's a great story @Layla but it can't go in the "Tall Tales from the THR Storybook"....because it's true! Your mom sounds like a real pistol! Maybe just a teeny bit cray! :)

My mom is 94 with an expired after shelf life THR that dislocates often. And always in the middle of the night, usually around 4 am is when I get the call. For years it was like being a fireman. That call before sunrise, Jumping up from a dead sleep, throwing on clothes and glasses, driving fast 45 mins in the dark to the ER.

Poor thing, she had so many of them but she's strong. Now she has caregivers who make sure she doesn't cross her legs while sleeping (what we later learned was the cause!) Good point about less pain sensitivity with older people, I think it makes sense. One year she had dozens of dislocations, sometimes it was every few days. Now it's almost never. That procedure to put it back is in the OR with heavy drugging before and during. She's usually fine the next day!! Amazing!
 
Wow! Your poor mom. I can't imagine. I've heard that's an excruciating pain.
Thank goodness they figured out how to keep it from happening.
Hearing what I shared about the elderly feeling less pain was news to me, but I read it here.
I wish I could recall where the exchange took place so you could read it. I'll work on that.

My mom is a pistol, haha! Sometimes so much it causes friction between us. I feel like she needs to be on a
leash! I kid SaraK all the time and tell Sara that I think she's my mothers child.

Maybe I'll dig up a pic of my mom on the ships mast and PM you. I shudder when I look at it! :heehee:

I hope you have a good night and a peaceful weekend!
@1stSurgery
 
@Layla.... Your mom on a ships mast is an image you'll want to always keep! There has to be some of that apple / tree syndrome in there? Somewhere!? I love to see seniors who keep up a sense of adventure and activity. So many where my mom lives just ....sit and watch tv. Come to think of it, that's kind of what I'm doing this month!! Well, Netflix. But...temporary. It's only temporary. @Mojo333 assured me. ;)
 
One thing you might consider on ice packs is the old-fashioned open the lid and fill with ice variety. Mine would stay cold for hours and weren't so cold at the start that I would need to worry about burning myself. It was also easier to refill at work or at a convenience store when traveling. I even bought a device that would strap it on so you could walk around hands free and keep it in place (look at Koo Care on Amazon).
 
Thanks @SaraK for the suggestion, I will look into it. We have been so hot and humid here, nothing stays cold long and that might be a better plan since our heat tends to go straight through October! If I do next one early September I just need to be assured I can be functioning ok for some fairly high activity work dates Oct 20-28. And it would be best if I were off all walking aids by then. I think healing with one good leg will be at least 50% easier than what I've been doing, healing with one very bad and painful one. So I'm hoping for a faster second time. I'll check out Koo Care (where do they get these names?) or is it Kool Care? Will try both. Hospital ice packs with real ice were good but they broke after I got home and made real water spill out into a real mess in the bedroom! :)
Thanks again!!
PS. Your kitty almost looks like it could be related to mine!
 
It is Koo Care. I also found that their ice bags didn't lose their waterproofing like the ones I got from CVS and Walgreen's. I used 2 at a time and would make 2 sets at bedtime. When I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I'd swap out packs. There would still be ice in them when I swapped out and when stopped getting up at night, they were still cool in the am. i had to go back to work early (2-1/2 weeks after 1st and 1 week after 2nd - which I DONT recommend) and it was helpful to be able to strap it on and have it stay in place whether sitting in my desk chair or walking down the hall.

PS - your kitty is pretty as well. Mine is long-haired calico tortie. scared of her own shadow but loving when she wants to be. She took very good care of me (in her mind) in early days - insisted on sleeping in my lap during the night while I was in the recliner and as close to me as possible when I moved into bed. That she was putting extra pressure on the leg by sleeping on the op leg or making it even more uncomfortable in bed because I couldn't move mattered not at all! I wouldn't have changed a thing, though. Our fur babies know when we need them!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom