THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

:rotfl:Best hospital experience story ever.
That is just so perfect.
Keep things slow at this point...your body is trying to get itself worked back out!
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
It's a gathering of the June Hippies! Yeah for your sense of humor pre-surgery! I agree that sets the stage and lets the body relax. My question to my OS is always, Did you have breakfast? :heehee:
Today I happily discarded my “lovely” TEDS! Soooo glad to be past that stage! Isn't it nice to be able to check off those things that mean we are moving forward? Yesterday I had my last PT! Yeahhhhh!
Keep moving forward, no matter how slow the progress as long as it is forward!
 
Love your imagination and humorous take on your surgery experience.
It sounds like you're progressing nicely. Three weeks already.
Wishing you a nice weekend as you continue healing!
@1stSurgery
 
Aw, thanks guys for the encouraging comments! I did not make it to the park (yet) so am officially week 3 and haven't been out anywhere, except around the house. Unfortunately, in trying to up my time on the walks on the deck...my Un-operated hip --which is in dire need of THR -- balked at going further. It now appears she, the rightie, is preventing leftie from her fully entitled day of exercise. I'm so wanting to expand the walking but that right hip is proving an albatross. That was momentarily discouraging but must say the left one is healing well. Swelling almost gone, bruising leaving, weird chicken cage clamp feeling subsiding and I can get in and out of bed, and up and down much easier now. Also can reach down and up a bit more without pains. Would be happier if knee bent more than 45 degrees..

Skin on legs is one shade dryer than a desert lizard with all the antibiotic stuff they kept applying on them! I feel like I could make a fine wallet out of my leg skin. And unable to put lotion on the op leg (without bending ....) I put globs of cream on the right foot and toes and rub the left calf with right foot!! Ahh how we must be inventive!

When oh when can I bend?!? Is it my imagination or are all the best items in the fridge in that bottom drawer? Is my husband gas lighting me with that? I can reach the salad dressing and mayo just fine but...what to put it on?

We continue to have extraordinary weather, breezy, sunny, 70s, clear skies. For this I'm very thankful. Are there any tricks to walk further when your UN operated leg is in pain? Was thinking maybe going back to the Walker for walks would help...

Wishing hippies a beautiful pain free weekend!!
 
Funny story about my avatar.. everyone told me that after having 2 TKR, a hip would be a “piece of cake”! Hence the cupcake!
I had anterior also and have no restrictions, only a couple of precautions. Today I put on my socks and sneakers and tied them! I was as proud as a 4 yr old! Were you specifically told to observe the 90degree rule?
 
My sister come by the day after I got home with half a dozen of the gooey-est chocolate frosted cupcakes much like yours and it felt good to indulge in something after surgery. Come to think of it...what happened to the other 5?! I think my husband must've made them disappear!
I had no restrictions pronounced per se but when I bent down or over too far the first weeks the body said NO. Rather loudly. Like when I reached up and over too high to pull drapes. NOPE it said. With the knee, I can only bring it up about half as much as the Unoperated leg knee, when doing heel slides for example.
You tied shoes?! Wow. I don't think I could do that. Did it hurt? Of course I haven't tried lately so maybe it's better than I know now...
 
My sister come by the day after I got home with half a dozen of the gooey-est chocolate frosted cupcakes much like yours and it felt good to indulge in something after surgery. Come to think of it...what happened to the other 5?! I think my husband must've made them disappear!
I had no restrictions pronounced per se but when I bent down or over too far the first weeks the body said NO. Rather loudly. Like when I reached up and over too high to pull drapes. NOPE it said. With the knee, I can only bring it up about half as much as the Unoperated leg knee, when doing heel slides for example.
You tied shoes?! Wow. I don't think I could do that. Did it hurt? Of course I haven't tried lately so maybe it's better than I know now...

All I was told was “if it hurts, don’t do it”. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not hurt. Who knew?
 
@Thesoutherncook ok so my operated knee, when brining it up for heel slides for example, only comes up to about 135 degrees, with 180 deg being lying flat out. Right knee comes up to 90 degrees. Is there something wrong with my progress? And I can't bring the left one further due to stiffness and pain, pain on the outer side of the left quad. I'm at week 3. The same would apply to bending over. To ties shoes you'd need to bend fully chest to knee it seems. I'm healing left operated hip with a very bad pained right hip also.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with your progress. Everyone heals at a different rate. Remember, my knee on operated leg was new last July, so that leg has had LOTS of PT in the past year. I do Thomas stretches and Piriformis stretches daily. My quads are tight and I do stretches for them. I'm concentrating on taking longer steps ans stretching out my muscles as I walk. You also have another angry hip to deal with. You'll get there....slowly. Baby steps as long as they are forward are fine!
 
As far as bending down learn how to bend like a golfer picks up the ball with one leg sticking out.
Thanks! I was a dancer also so that has been helpful --I tend to bend over now with the operated leg going back in an Arabesque-like pose and weight on right leg. It has worked for now, but doesn't help address the bending knee issue. I'm just worried I might reach some point of no return with a knee frozen in limited bending position! I also did yoga, hiking, tennis etc ...so normally have very responsive muscle activity and high flexibility. Frustrating!!
 
And I did have some progress today. Was upset yesterday when my walk was too short, because bone on bone right hip wouldn't allow me go further without way too much pain. Left hip was deprived her proper workout. So I slept over 8 hrs --and today was able to add 5 mins to the daily walk. Day. By. Day.
 
My PT and I had a long discussion about a walking program. He suggested walking on the high school's rubberized track, adding 5 minutes each time, walking 3 days a week, stretching AFTER walking and aiming for time not distance. And, after the July 4th holiday, that is my plan! (We live in the Blue Ridge Mtns so do not have a nice paved flat neighborhood where we can walk.)

Do you have plans for THR #2?
Baby steps...believe me, they will get you there! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the encouragement!
Plan to discuss THR.2 at post op July 10 appt. not in a big hurry I must say simply because I'm tired of being a patient and having my husband waiting on me those first 2 weeks. But otoh the other side is shot and makes walking even with new hip awkward at best and a bit limply.
We have same kind of track just down the street 5 mins from home! I live in hills too and no way I'd try my street, a narrow winding mountain road. Just need to get a lift to the track because I have this car that's low to the ground!
Today was a good day. On my feet a lot and got some needed housework done. A friend is bringing me dinner....Even got some productive work done. So all is well here!
ETA: my OS suggests walking every day and only adding on time every third day but just a few minutes each add on. I was setback yesterday but learned I do better with more sleep so it's sublingual melatonin at night for now, my best sleep fix.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom