THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I was told this was the single worst position to go into for someone with an anterior approach. Highest risk of dislocation.
I'm not a golfer so I'm not sure exactly what this move with the ball pick up even is?! But, as I said, I was a dancer so I do an arabesque-type move with weight bearing on the Unoperated leg, then- like a see saw - tilt slightly down -with the operated leg extended behind for balance. Is this risky, do you think? Feels pretty benign, no strains. Thanks in advance!

THANK YOU @tallguy79! Guess I will curtail the refrigerator dip move a bit! Strange that I felt no strain but I didn't extend as far as one would when actually dancing. And the rotation was helpful too. As for sleeping I tried the side last night with a memory foam pillow between knees but felt a twinge in operated thigh and went back to the back. All in time I guess. Thanks again for the video.

I've added an avatar, my kitty jumped up on the Walker the minute I walked away from it, convinced it was some exotic new toy just for her!

@tallguy79 That's interesting. All you hear is no restrictions with anterior, didn't think it would be a problem.

I didn't go that far back with my leg...but I did use the golfers reach some with no problem.
And I bent down some...couldn't get up without help but....
:chuckmarch: didn't have a "good leg" so....

@Mojo333 Just noted you did both at once?! I was toying with that idea as both went kaput at same time for me and then in a fit of stubbornness and denial...I waited one year after the bone on bone severe diagnosis to book the left one. That was a rough year, especially the last pre op months, April, May... Pain!! So my question now, as I'm in week three, is the bad / right hip is being so very uncooperative and refusing to let the new left hip come out and play. Every walk I have to stop due to right hip pain and fatigue. It just says No after about ten mins. Left could happily go further. Today it was at five minutes! I'm not sure how to compensate so I'm focused on the exercises which are truly building up muscle strength without pain but I fear I may have an impasse with walking due to very severe right hip issue. Should've probably done the bilateral and bitten the bullet.

If anyone has any tips for this evil twin right hip issue I'd be happy to try! I take no pain meds and don't do well with most pharma, sensitive system more accustomed to natural remedies. And the RT hip pain isn't horrible, just enough to command me to SIT.

Many on forum have complained about their better bad hip acting up after surgery.
Wish I had you some answers...
Glad lefty is serving you well.
Maybe many of those one hip left to do fills will have some thoughts.
Great job on that ones recovery.

I can empathize with pain meds not being good option.
I don't see where they helpedmy bad hips prior to surgery.
Hope tomorrow is a better day!:SUNsmile:

I'm So grateful to read that others are having the same challenges with bending! I had an anterior THR just over 3 weeks ago and was starting to get worried that there was something wrong with my progress!

Within the last few days, I have been trying to bend the knee as much as possible when I pick things up (instead of kicking it straight out behind), but it just feels so stiff - and by the end of the day - bending the knee isn't much of an option at all. I guess it's just a matter of time and patience.

Thanks @Mojo333! It's all pretty good, and my bad for indulging in some "magical thinking" that the right hip was somehow going to share in the benefits just by having been there in the operating room!! Hopefully I can fully heal lefty independently.

@Qtwookie - we were on the same day!! And yes the swelling and stiffness really weren't allowing me much bend in that left leg but I kept doing the exercises and just recently, it just sort of broke through better. Still have a ways to go but I see improvement daily. The heel slides were almost impossible for me to do until the past few days. It will ease up. Icing really does help with that. The smallest amount per day of added range of motion....adds up during a week. Keep trying and notice the extra inches each day. You'll see!

Hello @1stSurgery
I'm not sure how I've missed you on the forums as we had our THR just a day apart! I saw your 1st Surgery name and it was a first for me too. I waited 4 years to get my hip done. I did warm water pool therapy for 3 years, got off the yoga mat and took certification to learn and teach a chair yoga, and continued to limp behind hubby and pup on walks. I had to quit walking several weeks before my surgery as I just couldn't do it any longer. Luckily, my August surgery got a chance to move to June! Now, I wonder why I waited so long.

I too waited as I have never been in the hospital since age 4 fro tonsils. Never broken a bone or anything. I'm verq squeamish about blood, wounds, and such.

It sounds like you are progressing and I imagine still having another hip with pain makes it even more challenging. We will all heal at our own pace and my challenge is to not want to just jump back into life and get going again.

You will hear on the forums that those of us who have been active may have more difficulty with the slow and steady pacing of rehab.

I'm glad I found you on the forum. I love your humor! It made my morning!

Wow @luvsibes ... 4 years! Worse than me! I did the same at the end, had to give up walking altogether, was a rough time. Both hips went out at simultaneously. And I was a big hiker in the hills so it was really hard to become immobile. Felt bad for my husband too who was promoted to head chef, butler, housekeeper, bender over person, cat caretaker, etc. I had the opposite though, my May surgery got pushed to June due to OS scheduling Dept issue, and April was full of travel for work... which did me in! Travel is very hard on bad hips!! My roller bag became a makeshift Walker, then I had to go to wheelchair service. But each trip required a lot of hoofing and long hours. Advil lost its luster.

Progress was good yesterday. Hubby did a video of me walking unassisted and sent it to family! I look like a toddler waddling across the floor so excited! Lol. I've got the stairs conquered and bending has come back. Pain is minimal. I'm happy with results but no longer worried that walks are too short. There is no way I can command or will the other hip to miraculously heal and be able to keep up.

I hope you're having a smooth recovery and finding the joy in those small daily new advances. We really do become like little kids going through this. "Watch me! Look!! I'm walking upstairs!!" My husband humors me but really, it's like an 'alert the media' event for me. :heehee:

Best of luck to you on your healing journey luvsvibes, we are on the upswing end of the ride.

Yes, celebrate!! Yesterday I showered alone with NO help, despite my husband's protest. I started singing the chorus of "All By Myself" but substituted the lyrics...."All by myselffffff, I showered all....by myselffffff." Haha. The eye rolling from my husband was priceless.

It's the little wins that keep us moving forward!

Thanks @Jaycey! I'm kind of over the top about it." Look! I took my socks off all by myself, come quick!! " Lol
We are just like children in this growth stage. Even the tantrums when things don't go as expected. Funny...

Yes, celebrate!! Yesterday I showered alone with NO help, despite my husband's protest. I started singing the chorus of "All By Myself" but substituted the lyrics...."All by myselffffff, I showered all....by myselffffff." Haha. The eye rolling from my husband was priceless.

It's the little wins that keep us moving forward!
Oh the first shower is a biggie!! I had hubby standing guard outside in case I fell and screamed. It was very scary that first shower. Especially when I discovered the cute pink shower chair was...useless and not stable.
I love your shower song!! Hahahaha!! I couldn't sing on my first shower, was too terrified but now I'm singing and loving it. I've not tried driving yet, this week I will but I put it off due to a very low car and seat. It's 105 here today and going up so I'm just vegging..

Ok here is another odd new development.

My OS seems to be a bit of a germaphobe, he's obsessive about making sure you don't pick up any infections while in hospital. Which is well and fine... But they practically dip you in a vat of scouring antibiotics. So many washes and antibiotic wipe downs and the legs get even more wipes, just pre op...

Nurses warned me about dry skin but I wasn't prepared for just how DRY. Last night I took off my black yoga pants to see the inside of the legs coated with white "snow"!! My flaking legs. It was flying through the air, everywhere, a veritable cloud of DNA! I had become a shedding snake.

Hubby promptly ordered some Himalayan exfoliating body rub on Amazon and I decided to try shaving the calves to help the process advance some. Been putting good creams on daily, but to no avail. I think my legs just had a full dermabrasion! Taking me right back to the spa-cation set up.... I guess I got the package with the leg peel.

Hi @1stSurgery
I agree, first shower was a bit scary, hubs within earshot also. Felt a tad week and wobbly but so good afterward!

Be thankful your OS takes every precaution. If you've never read a "Hip Infection" thread
your heart breaks for what some go through. Inconvenient, monotonous, delayed recoveries.

Hope you find relief from the dry skin soon. Something I love is Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter.
Smells so yummy, works well and isn't greasy!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks @Layla - sounds good. I'm almost out of this almond cream I've been lavishing on there so will try to get some. And yes, I am much happier to have snake skin shed than any infection! Was just a surprise to see so much skin all over the place!

Leg dandruff :heehee: A little TLC and it will be history.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope today is good! :SUNsmile:
@1stSurgery

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts