Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

I'll bet you notice a turnaround soon. Sorry you're still having pain. I hope you get some relief.
The story of your mom and those dislocations is horrible. The poor woman...the pain! Thankfully you seem to have found a solution.
Wishes for your comfort. :console2:
@1stSurgery
 
Thanks @Bevlah. I spent so many hours running around pleading for her to get pain relief in hospitals. Since about a year or so now - they have gotten far stricter with opioids, for obvious reasons, and I've really noticed a policy shift that hurt my mom terribly. Before she could get something immediately - it was so clearly a dislocation and the pain level is extremely high. Now ...we have to go to various nurses and doctors who all need formal approval from other doctors ...who are never available ...and the process can take hours. I am even-tempered but I've had to scream at hospital staff with my mom just laying there waiting... sobbing in pain. They need to revise whatever it was that was recently changed because people are suffering needlessly. A dislocation patient is not someone you want to leave unmedicated..
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Layla, yes she's been very comfortable and dislocation free since we hired the all day all night staff. She complains about it but it has kept her out of that vicious cycle of ERs, ambulances and dislocations. And they are very good caregivers so it has worked out well.
I hope my turnaround is this weekend! Going to plant that seed right now....ONLY 2 MORE DAYS UNTIL MY PAIN SUBSIDES!!
 
i just realized I am living the life of my cat.

I'm going to take (another) nap now. Then later, I will mosey over to the bathroom. And then probably take another nap. At some point I will take some time to groom myself, then rest a bit, and look out the window, while quietly resting. And maybe ...another bathroom trip. And nap. So far I have no urges to scratch the furniture.

Meowwww
 
Although I was surprised to hear my OS had a 100 yr old patient in OR the same day as my THR!
:wowspring:amazing.

I didn't go without pain meds for many weeks.
Don't use that as a barometer for your recovery.
Your body had been through alot in the last months...
You are doing just fine.
Healing hugs:loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Pleased to report a minor accomplishment with a major uplift result!

I waited until the oxy wore off to test my actual pain threshold and see if it had gotten any better. Even the teeniest bit would give me some sign to cling to!

I was able to do a non-medicated 5 min walk on my back deck with only mild to average pain! Followed by a gentle round of the recommended in-bed exercises. I know it's not much, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

I think the Ossur froze my entire thigh solid this afternoon. I could have preserved it for history. It needed to thaw out before walking. I may be overdoing the icing thing....

:ice:
 
Yay for small steps forward!! You WILL get there my friend each week will bring more movement with less pain. If you really think about it, before the op you knew that things were getting worse. Now you know that things will get better. I think that's a darn good place to be. Keep doing your cat impressions, speaking from someone who loves an animal impression, and let those muscles mend. Xx
 
Agreed @Bevlah, it's all the right direction now! Thanks for the 98th needed pep talk! :roseshwr:

Tonight I've just begun to see the residual swelling-bruising stage emerge, where "Vinnie" the dislo specialist (moonlights as a turkey quarterer) left his fingerprints. Have a fat, swollen, bruised right ankle and also right knee. Vinnie was a bit rougher this time it seems.
But it's all getting better!

"I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time...."
"Better, better... beeeeettttterrrr!! "
:egypdance:
 
Let's see if this posts. It's my new THR recovery anthem du jour. I think it would work well for most of us in the recovery rooms. :yay:
 
Last edited:
Oooh Vinnie was pretty rough with me too! My hips were protuding and then fused into my pelvis so yes that took a bit of jiggery pokery to get them out!! He must have arms the size of my thighs! Wishing you a peaceful healing Sunday my friend
 
Another sunrise that woke me with that same deep, level 8 pain

I really want to believe it's going to get better, really. But it keeps returning to the same level. And yes I know all hip surgeries are different - but I don't understand how 2 in the same body can be that different in respect to the pain. One relatively pain free, requiring a few days of pain meds, and the other excruciating, so far for 9 days, no signs of letting up. Anyways, I know these are rhetorical ponderings and no one knows... But it's very disheartening to wake up every day, unable to move from severe pain and to keep anticipating that this will be the day it starts getting better!

Whining, I know.

I do have my THR newly minted "License to Whine" however, (LTW) --good for 3 mos from date of surgery, so I am within legal limits. And this is not a whine-free zone. :) It's all part of the journey. Whining then floating then more whining.

My OS doesn't normally operate on Fridays but had to reschedule my surgery due to some Thursday emergency he had. I had asked for his same crew from first time ...they were all sooo good. And I noticed there was not one same face from before, an entirely different crew. Maybe it wasn't his usual Thursday team since he doesn't do Friday's, and maybe I got the B-Team instead of the A-team?? Or maybe Vinnie just yanked me too hard. The pain that won't leave is the deep deep waist to ankle pain but centered in hip joint.
 
So difficult to offer advice because it's such early days.
I'm sorry you continue to wake to this pain. It would be difficult to not compare
your two recoveries. I know I would and when your second isn't flowing as effortlessly as your first
you can't help but be disappointed, or question it.

Wondering if you should check in with your OS's office tomorrow just to gain reassurance and possibly have meds adjusted. I feel so bad for you. Describing your pain as a 8 /10 is not effective pain control. On second thought, why don't you call today and speak with whoever is on call? Why suffer if you can get some relief.
Prayers for comfort and pain relief :prayer:
@1stSurgery
 
@Bevlah I'm not sure at what point I can assess the lack of progress with pain as still being 'normal'. Especially when it's night and day from my own other hip. Not just varying, but dramatically unlike the other recovery. I guess I can call the doctor tomorrow again if it's the same. Maybe after some food and coffee it will improve! Hubby slept in so I'm waiting for him to bring on the pumpkin purée morning fare! And will take meds with that food. Then it will be better .... For awhile.

How's the grandson doing? Are you getting frequent cuddle visits ? :roseshwr:
 
Thanks @Layla, I will call them tomorrow if it's the same. The reason it's so bad at waking is I take last oxy when I go to sleep or just before ...so it's about 7-8 hrs later when I wake and they've worn off. I am very fortunate to mostly be sleeping through the night, sometimes one pre sunrise bathroom trip. Which is good. Maybe I need to schedule an alarm to wake up and take more ... And I know it's early, 9 days, but it really seems that's a long enough period to see some reduction in pain, just a little? Starting to think I didn't have a THR last time!! :)
 
Breakfast has arrived, a squirrel is scampering across the bedroom deck, sun is shining out the windows, birds chattering, and I need to just let the engineering part of my brain that needs to figure it all out...turn off...and sink more into the serenity side...to accept what is and move on. Thank you for the caring and letting me whine uninterrupted! It may not be the last whine. Heh.
 
If there are any techys in the hippy forum today, you're needed at @lovesstars thread! "SEEING THE LIGHT" She's having a strange firewall blocking issue and can't seem to figure it out. She can only type one line and then gets blocked.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom