THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Yep @Bionic, always reminds me of my first real camping trip -- not glamping!-- with just a tent and the only water being an icy cold little hand pump about a mile or so away, over rugged terrain. After 10 days of that, I sat in a bubble bath for what seemed like half a day when we got back to plumbing! Big fan of plumbing.
 
Sorry to be MIA. Looks like you have been busy in the meantime! I graduated to crutches on Wednesday and went kinda wild with the walking and getting out, even if for medically related short trips to the little city...more like a town....fifteen mins from here! No extra pain, but SERIOUS energy drain in the afternoons and evenings, yesterday and the day before. Yesterday afternoon I completely ran out of gas, and stayed in my recliner, except for the loo, until this AM! Even then took it slowly this AM. Might skip the walks outside completely today, to try and regenerate some energy. I remember this fatigue when pregnant with our twins, towards the end of the pregnancy. I'm older and this time was much worse! I guess I can say I visited the ODIC :gaah:

The hair loss thing is interesting, as long as it ceases. Unfortunately for @JoeKnows, I think he is fighting an up hill battle!

How was the walk around the house? That first shower......ahhhhh so great!:yes!: Another first out of the way!

The construction in your neighbourhood must be very hard to convalesce with! You've had enough of the carpentry noises!
 
Walk is on the To Do list for a bit later @Alitm, after next pain meds. I think it will be fine. Feeling a modest improvement today and a bit more strength. Just so slow compared to lefty.... (Not that I'm comparing!)

You sound very springy! On crutches, and getting out there! Excellent progress I'd say. Especially since you've got no extra pain to report. Continued success to you, I'm hobbling right behind, trying to catch up!
 
@1stSurgery I found that the winds of change in terms of mobility and pain levels started to shift about three days into week two....and it has come along really quickly...at least faster than I thought it would go. I didn't have anything to compare it to though. I'm sure it is so much harder to relax and go with it second time around! Remind me of that OK!! :)
 
@1st Surgery I added my big blue quad ice pack to the hip pack when icing last night...just because of the fatigue and I find the icing so comforting...perhaps a preventative measure? There are zips and zaps going on in the there as the healing progresses. Had no desire take narcotics, and actually let the time between Tylenol doses lapse, because I forgot...nothing prodding me to take them. Everything was fatigued though for sure.
 
Good idea to load heavily on the ice @Alitm. I still need the narcotics but seems only at 8-10 hr intervals so that's not too heavy. I will tell you, so far, I'm not getting the zipzap things on righty. It's really quite surprisingly different all around. I may try your added ice plan if needed. Oh and also, this time the knee bent easier and faster than lefty did. Took a long time to do heel slides on first hip side but this time it's coming along nicely, almost up to par with other hip. Will report back after walking trip! I've literally been living on this site the past week, lol! I need to get more things done at home as soon as the walking gets established. Thanks @Alitm and yes, I will remind you when you have the second twin done!! :)
 
@1stSurgery ha ha ha I know what you mean I had leg spasms also! My horse impression was only a nose snort so I can't be blamed for any pony kicks......... Honest guvner!!!!
Just saying... The pony kicks started right on the heels of the horse impressions.... !!
:heehee:
If I start waking up whinnying I'll know there's something magical afoot!!
 
@1stSurgery I forgot to comment about your pony leg! I wasn't involved, honest!

The night I had the zip zaps, maybe Tuesday, my right op leg was really restless, wouldn't keep quiet. It wanted to move around like a puppy, but was somewhat restricted by the arms of the recliner in full recline but no equine kicks!
 
I just recalled my mom having clumps of hair loss after her dislocations (she has an older way-expired hip implant that dislocates from time to time) and I know they give her dilaudid, so I'm thinking...unless he has a solid alibi... dilaudid is our suspect!

Oh dear lord your poor mama! Good heavens I hadn't even thought to ask what happens when these joints get old. Suddenly I'm really feeling tired. :sigh:

It is SO NOISY HERE right now with this construction!! :gaah:

Oh dear I hope they finish soon for your sake 1st! That is awful. Tell them I said to beat it! :old: And stay off the lawn LOL!
 
Ohhh! I'm so excited! It's little, but it's big, it's teeny, but it's huge!

I just did a real walk!! On bedroom deck where I do laps and see all the beautiful trees and nature around, despite the loud construction sounds (will give them your orders @Ausman!) -- anyways I only did 5 mins but this is a leg that wouldn't even weight bear a step when I got home. I'm so happy-- and relieved. Didn't even hurt that much, the same very deep ache wayyy inside is there, but that's kind of ever present for now.

Phew! What a big day!

1) a full body, half hair shower
2) a five minute walk outside
3) removal of the dressing, unveiling the wound and incision handiwork

I know, I know, just another breathless round of annals from the diary of a type-A overachiever. I promise to slow it down next few days, this whirlwind pace...hard to keep up, I know....

Y'all were right about it coming around though. Tomorrow will be stairs. Maybe even laundry. Woohoo! Guinness book of records look out!!
 
Sorry to have brought up a new specter for you to consider @Ausman. It had been a long and horrible battle with my Mom. She is 95 in a few weeks, and aside from the hip ...pretty healthy, considering. But she has bad dementia which plays into the hip issue. She was dislocating on an "expired" way past its shelf life hip prosthesis that would always mysteriously come out in the middle of the night. And I mean around 4 am. My sister and I would get that familiar call to come to ER.

I live about an hour from her hospital but it got to where I was like a fireman - ever ready, always jumping up from a dead sleep and throwing on pants in the dark, and driving to ER to find her in such agony! Then screaming at all the doctors to please give her something for pain. This became more and more frequent as time went on to where at one point --it was weekly!! A dislo is some super serious pain. But her OS is brilliant at popping it back in, and says she's just too old to tolerate the surgery in their estimation.

Anyways, long story but, we never knew WHY or how it was coming out in her sleep, an odd thing. Until we finally hired 24/7 caregivers to monitor her all night long and make sure she was tended to immediately should it happen again. What they found was interesting. She has a propensity to CROSS HER LEGS in her sleep! It was that. Once they saw that and saw it repeated we now have a routine to prevent it and have retained the caregiver staff to monitor all night.... She's had no dislo's in the last 8 mos or so! Which is huge because the hospital was starting to get irritated seeing her in emergency so many times. And it was so hard on her poor body so often! She's a strong and feisty one. Her sister is 98 and only has eye issues but no dementia and good health! But even after we figured it out she couldn't just be cautioned to not cross her legs because of the dementia, she wouldn't remember

As for you, by the time yours has reached its deadline time frame --there will be so many new advances in hips they'll probably be able to fix it with a laser zap....over Skype... :)

Read in the BoneSmart library the stories of hips lasting 30, 40, even over 60 yrs! In fact they have an amazing one about the very first artificial hip surgery. It lasted 67 years! Not a tall tale. Relax. :)
 
Wow what a story about your Mom! What a brave, tough lady! I wonder if perhaps a pillow couldn't be gently wrapped around a leg with some soft ties to prevent her crossing. I woke up a couple nights ago and scared myself when I realized I had somehow kicked aside the pillow I'd managed to keep there every night since my surgery. Counting down those 90 days of dislocation protocols!

My own Mom is just a few months younger than yours- what a generation! No artificial joints, though she did manage to (not making this up) break her neck about 7 years ago. Fortunately the spinal cord was intact. They told her she might never walk again- heck she was driving again a year later! They don't make 'em like that anymore! :thumb:
 
@Ausman We found just such an orthopedic pillow but the best assurance is the live awake person watching over her as she sleeps. It's been such a blessing. And my sister and I have actually been able to sleep! Yep agree, that generation was a special and sturdy one. My mom only takes one RX drug for BP. No heart disease, no cancer, no diabetes, etc. After now having 2 THRs I have ultimate respect for the kind of pain she's endured over the years with dislocations. What a story about your mom too!! And driving!?!? We must have some good genes.
 
The Super Spouse stories have started to come in over there in the Social Room .---> https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tales-of-super-spouse-support.50394/
...so if you haven't already, get on over and tell us about your spouse as caregiver --and housekeeper, nurse, body guard, animal wrangler, and any other new duties they have had to perform so that we could recover. So far it seems @Bionic is a contender for the Super Spouse Oscar award, but this is only based on preliminary behind the scenes buzz. Too early to tell.
Wishing you all a peaceful night of deep restorative sleeeep!
 
Glad to hear of all your successful firsts on your second go around.
During recovery ...I had some sobering thoughts of older folks with medical issues that are beyond the reach of modern medicine or because of their age, cannot be resolved.
Remembering the chronic pain that was increasingly more debilitating prior to this amazing surgery, I was - and Am overwhelmed with gratitude that I will recover and get back to a happy life.:yes:
Aren't we lucky?:wink:
Makes the recovery process much easier knowing it is temporary distress.
Hope your weekend is restful and healing!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 -I co-caretake my 95 yr old mom for many years now, so I get reminders of this nature readily, everyday. It can be so hard on seniors unable to have the surgery, you're right. Although I was surprised to hear my OS had a 100 yr old patient in OR the same day as my THR! Wow. Going forward I imagine there will be even less invasive procedures devised - we can only hope, so everyone can enjoy joint replacement. Since surgery I've been unable to get to my mom and to shop for her so the burden has fallen on my sister. Soon I hope that will change!

So far this pain is not showing signs of letting up except when I'm medicated. I'm not seeing real improvement --it's very deep and very intense, so unlike other time. Stomach is finally starting to react to the narcotics and I was so happy that it was thus far doing well. Guess it's a trade off. Pain here or there. Really was wanting to try doing stairs today but woke up in such bad pain I can't imagine that will work. Maybe later. Day 8. Still in bed icing. Very little time to get back to work too! Maybe this weekend will be the turnaround?

Hope other September sapphires are doing better and able to use that new hip some! Cannot wait for the pain to subside!! Maybe a pain countdown is needed? :)
 
@1stSurgery ah my lovely I had a few tears reading about your poor mother. I cannot believe the pain she would have been in, incomprehensible. Thank goodness you have worked out the problem. Xx
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom