THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

5 am. Stopped by for a cuppa and nobody here.. Coffeemaker off. A few half eaten pumpkin muffins laying around. Who runs this joint? Oh wait...I do. Ok Guess it's back to sleep. Pain woke me up. Pain meds put me to sleep again. Zzzzz
 
I don't know Cayucos, is it nice?

We like it - tiny central coast beach town, just north of Morro Bay / 20 minutes north of San Luis Obispo if you know where that is. Depending on where you are in LA, probably a 3-4 hour drive. Sort of a sleepy, hippy-ish town. It's not that nice fluffy SoCal sand, more rocky and packed down (so I might be comfortable walking on it in a week or two).

Sorry I missed the party this morning - well, not really, fell asleep around 11:30 (super late for me) and slept hard until 6:30.
 
Add me to the yes for new hair loss post THR

1. Spinal
2. Dilaudid (yes- and I know what you mean about the dreams)
3. Oxy (no- I did take two but vomited them both up, so no effect)
4. Tramadol (no- I did take one but had very dangerous reaction and stopped)
5. Toradol (no)
6. Steroids (no)
7. Stool stuff (no)
8. Antacids (no)
9. Tylenol (yes)
10. Vancomycin (Adding a column here for the IV antibiotic used during recovery)
 
Well this is odd. @Tennessee1 calls her newly operated leg "puppy", Think I am going to have to call mine "pony".

Happened again last night, for about the 4th time since righty surgery. I'm sleeping very well and suddenly right leg does one of those fast, jerky things, mid-dream I guess. But it acually KICKS in the sheets with a pretty strong thrust. And wakes me up, but I wake up ...full force kicking that leg for a few seconds. Like a nervous system response.Then that sets off a deep pain and ache in that leg for a little while. its that swift, robust kind of kick that you'd never try with a new hip!

So ...there is some pony stuck in that leg. Maybe they put in a pony femur?! No, more likely ...it was @Alitm and @Bevlah's horse impressions in here the other day that did it!! They gave me pony leg!! "Ask your doctor"? It's pretty strange...

Another new issue this time is-- I always do a deep full body stretch upon awakening, in bed, on my back. Kind of like when my cat wakes up but no downward dog (cat!) part. But this time, with righty, that stretch, each time, brings on an intensely deep ache on entire right lower body, from hip to foot, right after the feel good part of stretching. Only lasts about 5 mins but it's very deeply painful. Righty has brought with her a whole lot more pain than lefty. It's true...the twins are different.

Otherwise all is well except some super loud construction outside now that has set off car alarms, so there's a cacophony of loud noises. They said they're going to be replacing the street lamps on the street, beautiful old fashioned street lamps that I love... think that's what the noise is.

Good morning from foggy LA, hippies!! Where's my cappuccino?
 
Last edited:
Wow @Ausman, that kind of narrows it down to the Tylenol per the other hair loss peeps. Or the dilaudid and @lovesstars is the exception and has some other hair loss trigger from elsewhere. I'd imagine if Tylenol is the culprit you'd need to take a fairly good amount? Dilaudid seems a more likely perp.

Edit to add: I just recalled my mom having clumps of hair loss after her dislocations (she has an older way-expired hip implant that dislocates from time to time) and I know they give her dilaudid, so I'm thinking...unless he has a solid alibi... dilaudid is our suspect! Book him. Bring him in. Print him. Put him in a lineup.

It is SO NOISY HERE right now with this construction!! :gaah:
 
Last edited:
Yes I am familiar with the area there @JoeKnows and like those rocky beaches. A "hippy-ish" town sounds like a perfect locale for you now!! :)
Hope you get some moisture up there next week. Congratulation on the full nights sleep! I too have gotten very lucky this time around with sleeping time. Usually get 7-8 hr in one or two shifts. Excellent for post-THR it seems reading other threads. Maybe because the pain is stronger this time which makes one more tired.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 for the one week reminder! I guess there is some moderate progress but this righty is a slow learner. A week and still not taking walks per se, (can't count trips to the loo!) But yes, I know, PATIENCE. I know... :) :-) (:
 
I consulted with dr Google re hair loss meds ...and they said that anti-coagulants (blood thinners), steroids and RA medications have hair loss side effects. Did not see any mention of dilaudid or anesthesia in the links. I know they gave me some steroid pill that I only took for a day post hospital because side effects looked daunting, but only a small amount was given. Hope that might help those of you with the hair loss symptoms.
 
Ok, I'll play....Hair loss I can attest to. I have photos because my young granddaughter loves to comb and style my hair in all kinds of goofy ways, then photograph her creations with my phone. She called my attention to thinning hair and I have before and after shots which I found shocking once she pointed it out. Thankfully it's thickened again but not quite to pre-op thickness yet. If I knew how to post photos, haha, I would.

1) GA and Spinal
2) Dilaudid - No
3) Oxycodone - 4 tabs
4) Tramacet - (Tramadol & Acetaminophen combo) No
5) Toradol - Yes, 5 days
6) Steroids - No
7) Stool Softener - Colace 4 days
8) Antacids - No
9) Tylenol - Yes Extra Strength for approx 2 weeks post op. None pre-op

Here's an article from the Nutrition Library
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hair-loss-following-surgery-trauma-stress.22564/
 
Thanks @Layla, an interesting article. It also tags anti-coagulants (blood thinners) and anti inflammatories (NSAIDs, etc) as hair loss culprits. Then the less easy to prove trauma, stress induced kind. I can sort of see that but we have all experienced very similar trauma since the surgery is pretty across the board traumatic carpentry.. You too took a few weeks of Tylenol I see, extra strength. It could well be a combination of things that cause damage to the follicles or create the hair loss. I'm happy to be the exception to the rule in that one anyways. Now if me and my head of hair could just....you know... walk!! :)
 
I took Aspirin as a blood thinner for 30 days post op - 325 mg 2X daily.
Best news is, it grows back! And you will walk fluidly and effortlessly in time. :yes:
Doing a little shimmy shake while flipping your hair :wink: Lol.
@1stSurgery
 
Haha, ok @Layla, if you say so. But there is zero evidence of fluid in my walk at the moment!! Today however I am going to attempt a real walk in the house! Hoping it goes well.
 
I found this searching:

"As for ibuprofen and naproxen, the reason they cause hair loss is because they act upon inflammation by reducing bloodflow to the area; this starves the hair follicles of oxygen and nutrients, causing the hair to die and fall out. Aspirin works in the same way"

And this FDA claim re Tylenol with some hair loss studies.

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/tylenol/hair-loss/

According to them, it affects women over 60 the most. I don't know if they changed the formula or what but from 2015 forward, by these charts, the number of hair loss reports from Tylenol nearly doubled! Or maybe more people were taking it since then.

So it may just be the Tylenol, of all things.
 
Here's some GOOD news to report! Just had First Shower since Second surgery and it all went without a hitch, perfectly in fact! Not that this is earth-shaking news ...but those little things mean a lot when you feel stagnated. I even washed half that big head of hair!! Haha! Couldn't tackle the whole head yet. No shower slips or problems at all. Nice to be fresh and clean, (the body wipes only go so far)

After next oxy will be walk time and I do think it can actually be achieved today. So week one date will have some progress ingrained in it.

Never thought I'd see taking a shower as an accomplishment!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom