Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

It will be so great to have all this assistive kit, but already I’m thinking how nice it will be to be rid of the clutter!
@1stSurgery you have to come to the west coast of Canada. It is beautiful here. Having lived in Bda for 52 years I feel that I qualify to know natural beauty when I see it :yes:!!! It would be fun to all meet up out here! Maybe once Bionic knows her dates we could have a four person reunion at least! There is someone else besides @Am54 in Vancouver, but can’t think who at the moment! Whereabouts in the US are you?
 
I forgot to mention that “Antonio” the recliner arrived late last week...Very comfy indeed!:)
 
@1stSurgery No more posting first thing in the morning with caffeine, I realized I asked you where you were in the US and I KNOW you are on the west coast!! Heaven help me once I get the oxy on board!!! Should be hilarious!
 
@1stSurgery you have to come to the west coast of Canada. It is beautiful here. Having lived in Bda for 52 years I feel that I qualify to know natural beauty when I see it :yes:!!! It would be fun to all meet up out here! Maybe once Bionic knows her dates we could have a four person reunion at least! There is someone else besides @Am54 in Vancouver, but can’t think who at the moment!....

Yes, I do believe a hippie reunion might be in order. Vancouver, Victoria, the Cowichan Valley, Tofino/Long Beach, Sunshine Coast, the Peak-to-Peak gondola at Whistler... oh yes, plenty to see here. And throw in a train trip, and it will be awesome.

The cross-Canada train trip is one of my all time favourite things to do. In fact, I've only done the Toronto to Vancouver portion which leaves out a lot, but who knows if I will finally do the eastern portion, seeing as how I survived the operating table! Yay!

Last October I met an Irish friend at the Toronto airport (we flew in from opposite directions) and from there we jumped onto the Canadian #1 -- the original train from the 1950s! Same dining car, observation car, same cabins. I rode on it in the '60s as a kid, Vancouver to Toronto. The October trip was my third time across. Four nights and three days, and we rolled into Vancouver about 12 hours late. It's a notoriously late-running train because it uses CN tracks on sufferance, and freight trains always get precedence over passenger ones, so passenger trains get shunted over to sidings continuously. I say "trains" like there is more than one passenger train, which I'm not sure about. If, in 2017 you book a train ticket from Toronto to Vancouver, and you get "Train #1, The Canadian" again, after 53 years, it doesn't suggest much inventory!

And how is the above not Fluff? Because it's good for hippies to activate their imaginations planning future frolics, which could include visits to Vancouver and the Island, and train travel :)

@1stSurgery , @Alitm , @Bionic
 
Last edited:
@Alitm
I have 2 grabbers, only because they came in a pack of 2, but I am glad I have them both. One for upstairs and one for downstairs.
I didn't take any of the things to hospital. The nurses help with everything.
As for clothes, I took too much and never used most of it. I had plans for dressing and being glamorous but they didn't work out.
I changed from the operating gown into a silk kimono which was my life saver. The silky material was slippery and made sliding the legs in and out of bed much easier. It was very easy from a modesty point of view too. I never wore any underwear whilst there and the shape of the kimono hide any indiscretions. To be honest I even kept the kimono on for travelling home.
 
Yes for a hippie party in Vancouver.... At some point, when we can all actually.... Get around! :)

@Alitm - I also got out a good supply of towels and washcloths stacked at tub for easy reach, no bending to get in linen cupbd. And I have one of those big toilet paper stacks of a dozen or so rolls next to the toilet as well, you just feel better seeing it right there at arms reach because you may be spending some serious time in the bathroom, depending. And the situation with the potty chair makes you go through a lot of paper and wipes! TMI file. I got all the cotton pads and all products and cosmetics handy and out on counter. I kept some of those body fresh wipe cloths in bed In a packet under a pillow for earliest pre shower days. Check your lower cupbds and drawers to see if you think you'll be needing anything in there, and if so - move those items up somewhere. This helped me to only have to be asking hubby's help for the most important things... "Bring ice!"

You won't need much for hospital, they'll probably take care of your needs, it's smart to take a robe so your back end is covered on the hall walks! I think I took one change of loose pants and a top and one cotton tshirt type nighty ..and a robe. Hospitals can be cold, some of them. Good pair of tennis shoes for walking in halls. Took cell phone and iPad and chargers which kept me in touch - and, for vanity's sake, I kept a tiny purse near bed with bare minimum in it; a compact, brush, lipstick, mascara ..so when friends came to visit at hospital I didn't scare them. I also took my magnesium supplements and spray because I always need that close and cleared it with hospital beforehand. Came in very handy when out of surgery the compression hose put both legs into donkey kicking killer cramps! It was wild. Nurses rushing about trying to stop them, and a few sprays of magnesium does it.

2 grabbers is a yes if you have a two story home. Otherwise one should do. Think that covers most of it.
 
@An54. The train trip sound lovely! I used to think I'd want to retire in Vancouver, based on what friends said about it, raving. But I'm not sure I will retire! :) Can't wait to see it one day and can't believe I've missed it being so relatively close. Saving the best for last!

@Bionic Good call on the silk robe at hospital, I may try that this time!

! @lovesstars Haha on the peanut butter sandwich! I keep freshly ground peanut butter next to be, a great protein snack for middle of the night and goes well with the dark chocolate stash too... I never got the diminished appetite some hippies report but I went off meds very early on so it may be why. Only because meds and I do not gel well. So because my kitchen is 15 stairs and lots of wheeling space away, I keep a mini pantry in the bedroom. Also have some cutlery and napkins in the basket.

Thanks @BeBe and @Layla, I'm glad you're enjoying the countdown. I certainly am. Sleep is elusive lately since evil right hip just grows more pained by the day. Wonder what my OS Beni Hana will find in there when he opens it up. I fear I may be housing some version of the Alien in that hip.. Hope he is not easily frightened!
 
! @lovesstars Haha on the peanut butter sandwich! I keep freshly ground peanut butter next to be, a great protein snack for middle of the night and goes well with the dark chocolate stash too... I never got the diminished appetite some hippies report but I went off meds very early on so it may be why. Only because meds and I do not gel well. So because my kitchen is 15 stairs and lots of wheeling space away, I keep a mini pantry in the bedroom. Also have some cutlery and napkins in the basket.

I am also 15 stairs away. Every morning 15 stairs up — every night 15 stairs down. Not ready for twice per day yet!



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
They have so many of those balanced little snack packs now. You know the Cheese, Nuts and Dried Fruit.
Or the Cheese and Summer Sausage options. Little pieces of chocolate in some also.
Perfect for recovery or if you're going to be home alone for a time early on.
I've tried a few and always look at the different varieties and brands at the grocery store.
Most need refrigeration though. Especially the cheese and meat options.
Quick and easy to grab on bathroom breaks!

Don't forget lip balm. My lips were so dry post op. It was like all the moisture was sucked out of my body.
I had to send hubs to the store a few hrs post op because it was driving me nuts.
@1stSurgery
 
Don't forget lip balm. My lips were so dry post op. It was like all the moisture was sucked out of my body.
I had to send hubs to the store a few hrs post op because it was driving me nuts.
@1stSurgery
I needed lip balm on my legs!! I must've signed up for the full spa package special and gotten the leg peel feature because when I got home, they flaked and peeled for weeks. It was a sight!!
 
Prayers and light going out to any bonesmarters in the path of Florence! Saw @Bone-obo got out of town to head inland. I heard stores located well inland were already sellong out of staple food supplies and gas lines are forming for evacuees. It looks very bad unless something should occur to mitigate that wind speed. So please everyone get yourself away from Florence now.

And how will I tie this into hips...???....

Oh, if you're a recovering hippie, and find yourself in the path of a cat 4 hurricane, you will want to prepare well in advance and be sure to take your walkers, canes, crutches, non slip shoes, boots, assisting devices, grabber, meds, pillows, ice and ...chocolate! The THR recovery emergency packet.
 
@Bone-obo Glad to hear you have evacuated inland. Please be safe, you too @Mojo333 and all other Hippies in the path of Florence. Keeping you all in my prayers.

@1stSurgery It sounds like you have a hip possessed. Benny better be ready! Sorry you are so uncomfortable....not long now....thinking of you.
Have resigned myself to alligator legs post op, until I can get lotion back on them! I am a peanut butter queen for getting that extra protein in.
I forgot to clear the magnesium, but will take it with me and ask about it when I get there. I take it before bed every night for leg cramps. Hopefully what I take Thursday night before bed will take me through at least the surgery. I'm also working on being very hydrated going in. Although told at the anaesthetist pre-op that no eating or drinking after mid-night, I was also told I could have a glass off water during the night if I was really thirsty.
@Layla I'll take the lip balm...good reminder thank you!
@Bionic I have to figure out something silky. MIL sent a lovely nighty and bathrobe set, but it isn't really hospital appropriate...too short. I can't seem to find a silky bathrobe at the right length. I will figure it out, one way or another!
 
@Alitm i was told not food or drink after midnight but small amt of water was ok, swallows. So what I did re the magnesium is take 3 pills (750mg) the morning of the surgery, as I too have the leg cramp issue. Normally take two (or 500mg) This got me through the long drive, the pre op time and surgery and recovery all fine. Wasn't till they put those stockings on that the legs cramped! But all the magnesium was handy at bedside table in hospital so we got it controlled. Smart to hydrate well. I also went heavier on Vit C and immune support supplements beforehand. I will be thinking of you too, and only 3 DAYS!!! You're going to do very well Alitm!
 
@1stSurgery I went to see my naturopath a couple of months ago and she had been really helpful on the immune support vitamins and post op suggestions too. Maybe I'll take more in AM. I have to say, three sleeps, two full days....almost sliding in to home plate here on VI! Not long after that you'll be doing the same!! Hope the time goes as quickly as possible for you too, with out that Alien-in-the-hip paining you too much.
 
So pleased @1stSurgery to read about your dry flaky legs! Dont think I'd seen it mentioned anywhere else. Was fretting a bit as it can be a sign of poor circulation. So annoying when you can't reach far enough down to moisturise and a tissue on the end of the grabber isn't quite adequate. My operated leg is worse but both improving now.
 
@bickypeg ...Well good... I'm happy that my dry flaky legs condition pleased you so! :heehee:

It was unsightly! And flaking all over. I kept joking with my husband I was leaving a DNA trail everywhere I walked. I found a great skin cream and ...to do the operated leg.... I put some globs of it under the "good" leg's toes (<--the last time I will ever refer to evil righty as "good") ... Then, use your "good" foot like a hand and rub it into the op leg calf with the toes and foot. It's primitive, but works! And provides good foot exercise as well!

Later- Once you can bend that leg a little more, put the foot of operated leg on a small step stool at edge of bed and use the same arm as the operated leg, so you don't twist at all, and minimally apply lotion to the outside of the calf and then gently rub it around as best possible, without breaking any 90 degree rules.

Tissue would absorb the lotion. Other alternatives is spray on oils, easy to use, but I didn't want anything too greasy on my legs. Good luck!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery


EIGHT MORE DAYS --
UNTIL MY SURGEON PREPARES ME TO DO FIGURE 8's ON THE ICE AGAIN!

(*Which, incidentally, I have never done before, but It sounded good...)
BUT REALLY.... WHO'S COUNTING??
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom