Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

14 DAYS...BUT WHO'S COUNTING? :wave::spin::beer:

[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
 
It's ok, I'm not (terribly) worried. Hope to go in with similar calm as last time and use the spa resort plan again! Pain is like a weed, just keeps growing.... Otherwise nothing much else new. Plumber is here and can't find the fix to the shower leak. Life is about repairing and restoring various states of corrosion lately!

Wishing all hippies healthy healing and smooth surgeries.
 
14 days or 2 weeks
Or 336 hrs
Or 20160 minutes
Or 1209600 seconds

Hahaha! Only wasted the time to look cause you're always so much fun :rotfl:
It will be here in two shakes of a lambs tail!
@1stSurgery
 
Hip Hip Hooray it's the Three Month Anniversary on Hip 1!
Hoping Hip 2 isn't too rough on you today.
Wishing you comfort and the strength to get through the next 13 days.
@1stSurgery
 
[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery


13 DAYS... BUT WHO'S COUNTING??

@Layla-- 3 month Anniversary already for lefty?? That's when I was supposed to be home free, walking, healed, working.... Ah, but evil twin hip had other plans!! Thanks for the hipiversary wishes!!

Happy to report today is a GOOD day, slept wonderfully last night with a double dose of sublingual liquid melatonin, dreamt I was totally pain free and was jumping up and down in the dream!! It was wonderful! And woke up with less pain than usual. Think it's actually the good nights sleep that did it. Tomorrow is visit a nature spot day, so all is well here.

Wanted to put out a question to any Ossur Cold Rush machine users. How many water bottles would you suggest to keep in the freezer for rotation purposes? We have a full freezer and are trying now to make space. Thank you!!
 
I would just put as many bottles as you can fit in your freezer. I had room for 12, so that’s what I did. Fewer bottles just means you can’t ice as often. 12 bottles gave me the ability to ice 24/7, which is probably more than most people need, and more than I actually did other than first few days. Whatever number bottles you can fit, I think it is still better than most home freezer’s ice making capability. Remember, you can always supplement with purchased ice if you need to. Recycling bottles will just reduce the number of trips your caretaker will have to make to purchase ice. I would just experiment a little bit with what you need and what you can fit in your freezer. Good luck!
 
Thanks, @TerryB_TX - we order bulk seafood from Alaska and so the freezer is often filled with that! Which explains why my ice packs during last surgery kept smelling like shrimp!! :heehee: Then after icing.... I smelled like shrimp. Not the most attractive fragrance... Lol. Thanks for the info, I do think we can squeeze about 6 bottles in there.

I just unpacked the Ossur and read all the instructions --since my husband has a peculiar allergy to reading any manuals before using something! He just refuses to look at them and I often find myself running behind him, waving some manual and shouting out all the warnings. This time I have a 1-2-3 bullet list, it is pretty easy though.

I have to reverse the room from left side of bed to right side and all the reachable accoutrements to go with it. And make good walker rolling space for those late night trips to the bathroom early days out. This side will put me twice as far from there. Just started rearranging things.

On that note, I came up with an easy solution today for that hazardous, middle of the night walker run, something that some hippies might want to use as well. My quest was to avoid bumping into computers, tables and furnishings while careening around that longer distance to the bathroom -- without having to turn lights on. So I searched "bicycle lights" and found (for $9) a perfect set of small ones that easily slip on to "handlebars" i.e. walker bars, with good illumination, and the set comes with 8 batteries. Kind of like mini headlamps for the walker! Navigating the master bedroom can be tricky so I'm happy with that little find. And now I can take it out for night walks...!
 
We're reverting to our childhood in our older age.
Lights on our walkers. Next horns and streamers. Let em know we're coming beep, beep and little blingy streamers....just because we're girls :heehee: I still remember the sound of my walker on the wood floor on the way to the bathroom at night. I'd seriously laugh and think this is such a joke.
You gotta laugh, it's all so pathetic! But hey, in the end, it's all worth it.
@1stSurgery
 
@1stSurgery I love the idea of lights on walkers or crutches... Because I like sailing they really have to be navigation lights. My husband who is currently sleeping upstairs can tell when I am awake by the tap tap noise of my crutch on the tiled kitchen floor as I raid the fridge at 4am for ginger biscuits!

I have some battery operated fairy lights I take on holiday with me so these are currently in my downstairs bedroom cheer8ng me up as I go to bed...
 
Yes @Layla, maybe after the walker I can graduate to a tricycle! It's really a travel back to toddler times! But they are so cute, toddlers. :)

@SurreyGirl ...I hear you on the 4 am jaunts! Last night NOTHING would allow me to sleep, no position offered comfort, no pillow felt just right, both sides hurt, back to ankles....and I was up until 5 am tossing - trying to find sleep. Yesterday was a relatively good lower pain level day, so of course I stood and walked more than usual. Guess that was the pay off. At 8am sharp the neighbors construction began ..as it has for months. Today was sawing day. High pitch shrill sawing...non stop sawing. Then the gardeners with their leaf blowers joined in the chorus around 8:30. And I surrendered to getting by on 3 hrs sleep and headed to the coffee.

Today however was lovely! Friend picked me up to get some pre surgery errands out of the way then we did our weekend nature soak and went for lunch at a picnic table overlooking the duck pond. A woman saw me hobbling in the dirt with my cane to the table and said "Good for you! What happened? Did you have an accident?" Told her the hippie story and she too needs to do it but was putting it off, fear. Gave her my surgeon's name and hospital with the caveat he's very booked, call now. And another hippie joins the fray! This park is just so beautiful. The weekends in nature have helped the time to pass. When i booked surgery #2, I didn't think I'd be able to make it 45 days with this level of pain....but here we are. 12 DAYS left!! Yay!!!
 
Last edited:
Stupid question re the Ossur Cold rush ice machine again. It has this small knob to turn it on and off and regulate the temperature. They say to set it at 3 for first 10 minutes, then regulate after that. But I'd set it up at the foot of the bed for the hoses to feed into the pad easily and realized today, there's no way first few weeks out I will be able to bend straight forward like that to turn the knob.

I'm trying to keep the side of the bed area clear for a side table with meds, water, food, creams, etc and save some Walker space. How do you guys situate your icing machine?- next to the bed? Seems like it should be easy... but I'm not finding a way to easily reach the unit and knob! tried the trusty grabber but failed!
 
Last edited:
I set the Ossur unit on a flat wooden tray on the bed (I’ve got a king and my wife is sleeping in the spare while in this phase of recovery). I can reach the flow controller on the machine with my left hand (I had left thr). I have a nightstand with the meds, water, phone, etc on the right. I get in and out of bed on the right side. That lets me put my good leg down first.
I usually adjust the flow rate from low to high through the night as the ice bottles melt in the reservoir.
It’s a little tricky getting the bed sheets over you completely because of the water hoses. I just left my feet uncovered and wore socks for warmth.
 
Wow, very interesting @TerryB_TX ...I completely didn't consider the big tubes having to go under or over the bedding... Have to figure that out. Today we were 90 degrees so it might not be an issue.

And I like the idea of having it on a tray on the bed. That might work if all plugs and cords configure well. I always heard we were supposed to sleep on the same side of the bed as the operated leg? using the "good" leg (which in my case both were pretty bad!) - to scoot the operated one over to the edge of the bed so it gently drops down first, out straight, then using hands / elbows to scoot around so the good leg comes down next to it. Hard to describe and I'm not sure why it was recommended ...but that was how I did number one hip. Anyone care to weigh in on if there is a recommended side to get in and out from? Or is it just personal preference? Maybe the BoneSmart staff knows if there's a protocol on which bed sides are best to use!!

They do always say to lead off with the walker using the operated leg first. I think that's because you're less likely to pivot at a turn. I'd prefer to do it your way so I can stay on the left side of the bed where everything is already set up! Thank you for the info.
 
@1stSurgery so much to consider! Yes it was recommended to me to sleep on the side of the op leg. Did I listen last time? Oh no I didn't but this time it's the correct side of the bed and so much easier getting out of bed! Should have listened last time.......oops!!
 
Thanks @Bevlah, I actually worked out well on left / operated side and with a pretty high bed so was figuring I'd just repeat that. I feel like I have too much to do pre-op right now and am a bit behind on it. For now, I'm behind on sleep... so going to try for some Zzzzzs tonight! :sleep::sleep:
PS enjoy that grand-baby!!
 
Hi there,
Down to 11 days today. I'm looking forward to your # 11 post.
# 12 was a pretty one! Happy to read you had a nice picnic lunch with a friend.
Helps pass the time. Wishing you comfort for today and hopefully a peaceful nap.
@1stSurgery
 
@Layla Hope you like the eleven!! :) It's getting so close! Feels like my To Do List is propagating at night, it has grown so long... and I may need to delegate more of it. Have upcoming work obligations that require advance preparations, and a surgery to stock up for.

Oooh big scare last night --- 3:30 AM and I'm blissfully sleeping - so happy that right Evil Twin Hip is not keeping me awake till 5 am like she did the night before-- when I feel this deep ache in my jaw. A toothache! And 11 days till surgery. Not good! Limited people to consult with at 3:30 am on a weekend.

I dug out every home remedy I know of....gargled with warm salt water, swooshed with coconut oil, sprayed with colloidal silver, sprayed essential peppermint oil, took a pain reliever, listened to four meditation videos until 5 am, it still hurt. Getting more nervous, I texted my best friend and my hubby (whom I didn't want to wake up!) and bemoaned the new wrinkle in the plan. Sprayed more peppermint and more colloidal silver. Swooshed again. And ....miracle of miracles...by 8 am (I got in a cat nap) ---it was totally gone!! I was soooooo happy!!

I am going to just assume it was a sign of too much flossing last night. But after all I've read about dental work and this surgery, it had me very tense for several few hours. I almost never have teeth issues. Everything at once!

And in good news, I got my walker "headlights" today and they went on in 2 seconds and light up the area surprisingly well! I am so ready for 11 days to come!
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom