Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

[Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

T-MINUS 10 FOR LAUNCH OF TITANIUM HIP 2

.....BUT WHO'S COUNTING?

Ok, I'm counting.


But now I can do it all on my fingers. This is very exciting. :)

 
@1stSurgery.....sleepless here on Vancouver Island, so lurking on BS...what else is there to do! I was very thankful for all your questions re: the ice machine. I have yet to unpack mine! My husband and I are also switching side of the bed so I can have a more direct access to the loo. Then I started reading about the bike headlights (and was it @Layla ’s suggestion of streamers?) and had an extreme case of giggles :rotfl: Then as to the comments about the hoses and how to arrange them and the bedding....:snork:and that had me in fits of giggles as I can only imagine myself and my two log legs, cold hoses and bedding, all in a complete cuffidle as I try to get to my light and streamer bedecked walker...yes, this will be the goings on next week, I’m sure of it!! Honestly, these scenarios seem hysterical at 1:54 AM!!
In all seriousness, I am going to get those bike lights! Such a great idea! Where did you find them? Amazon?
Thank you for the middle of the night info and giggle session! Looking forward to your next countdown post! :) Hope the evil one is behaving. :good-bad:
 
@Alitm
I was coming to Vancouver Island next year but spent the money on private surgery instead. @An54 and I had said we will meet up when I do eventually get to Vancouver (probably the year after next now)

My plan is to 'do' the Calgary stampede then maybe the Rocky Mountneer train down to Vancouver then spend a week on Vancouver Island. If you have any tips for me let me know
 
Down to fingers and hopefully a few months from now...you can count on your toes if you want to!
This little piggy went to surgery...this little piggy stayed home:heehee:
Hope this week is a good week!:SUNsmile:
 
Down to counting on fingers...awesome!
Love # 10, it's great.
I heard the 20th Century Fox intro music in my head upon seeing it.
Now I look forward to the countdown numbers each day....pressure is on. :heehee:
Hope today is a good day!
@1stSurgery
 
Today was hairdresser day! That was fun, but I'm actually exhausted! From a day at the hairdresser...?! Amazing. It had gotten so long. He was very accomodating, brought another chair over for me to put legs up, brought dryer over so I didn't have to switch stations. Let me stand up and fidget around every 15 mins. And I now have pretty new hair for my shiny new hip in....oh, I dunno.... how many days is it again? honestly haven't been keeping track...... :rotfl:

@Bionic - go ahead and y'all laugh at my bicycle / walker landing strip lights....but we'll see who makes it safely to the loo the quickest at 3 am!! :) it will be @Alitm and I, with our strobe light walkers, starting new fashion trends from the west coast! Lol

@Alitm - aka "Sleepless in Vancouver" -- wise of you to get these lights!! I love them, took two seconds to attach. And you just tap the top to put them on. there's an option of steady stream or strobe, save strobe for party nights with your Walker... I'm sure they'd work on crutches and canes as well. They're at Amazon and called "refun bicycle lights" - pckg offers 2 front & 2 back lights and 8 batteries. Lights come ready with a set of batteries installed also, so you are ready to go when they arrive! Take those walkers out for a night on the town with your new headlights!! Hahaha! I don't think we are supposed to link to other pages here or I'd give you the link but should be easy to find. $10.99 here.

@Mojo333 - hey you take care with that storm warning, old Flo, headed in! I don't know if you're anywhere in the path but for anyone who is... Prepare, she sounds wicked! As for counting my toes, the little piggies... I love it!! :heehee: This little piggy had oxy, this little piggy had none!

@Layla, I have already picked out #9 for tomorrow, gave me something to do while under the dryer! It really is close now.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to take a little nap now -- hairdresser visit recovery time... I hope all hippies are icing and healing at ninja speed.
 
Last edited:
The count down is.... trickle trickle. Soon you will be on the other side.

About sleeping and sides of beds, etc. Before I had my surgery I assumed that I would spend my first weeks mostly resting in bed, in the bedroom. We have a queen size with a high mattress, nice and accessible. But when I got home from the hospital I went straight (on my walker, very slowly) to the living room, sunk down into our sofa, and spent the next month there; I never did get to the bedroom. The sofa cushions surface were deep and soft. I "nestled in", sleeping on my back during those early weeks. The sofa was a bit low, and I got in and out on my op leg, which was to the outside, but I was careful, and it worked out okay.

My next move was to the den, where we have a sofa bed. It opens out into a king size bed, and it is huge, like a continent filling up three quarters of the floor area. I lived there for the next two weeks. Lots of room to spread stuff, so I had a tray with water, clock, reading light, basket of meds, magazines, etc , There was a fan blowing on me 24-7 , and ice packs continued to be my friend. On the bedside table was my laptop which I could easily reach over to and scoot up onto my lap. I used lots of pillows, plus a long body pillow and was able to start sleeping on my side. I sleep on both sides now, using regular pillows or the long body pillow. It was far better for hub to be able to get some well-deserved sleep on his own in the bedroom. In the den I had all the acreage I needed for my vast collection of gear and pillows etc. It was so much easier not to try sharing a bed during the first weeks. Plus I had a big flat screen TV right there in the den, so the entertainment is built in. aside: We got quite drawn into the Netflix series Babylon Berlin.

Recently I moved back to the bedroom, where I have the bed to myself, as the boys are out sailing. When hub returns it won't be big enough for both of us and all my sleep supports, so I guess the long body pillow will have to go. (or I will move back to the den. Guess I'll see how I sleep.) I would do that next time around too, next THR--take full advantage of staking out as much room as I could, for the first few weeks.
 
@1stSurgery Thanks for the bike light info. I'll find them, yes I will! They'll see us glowing from space!
Your hairdo day sounded lovely.
Looking forward to your next countdown post!:heehee: in advance!
I am hoping that I am on the ball enough to be able to wish you well before your surgery, SIX :yes: days after mine!
Hoping that evil hip is grumbling at a dull roar only and you are finding some comfort this evening.

@Bionic I live in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island. You must DO Vancouver and then head over to the island. Victoria (capital of BC, and on Vancouver Island...I need to review my Canadian history to tell you why that is) is lovely and time spent in this little city on the harbour is time enjoyed. Maybe @An54 can let us know! The Cowichan Valley is beautiful and there are lots of vineyards and yummy places to eat. Cycling is bike here, as is hiking, kayaking, and of course riding horses!! Whale watching (orcas) can be organized from Victoria or the Cowichan Valley. I would see if you could get onto Vancouver Island tourism website and ask them to send you some info to look through. It goes without saying that you must let me know when you are coming over. As we are six year old transplants, we want to take the train trip you described, or a version of it. It is supposed to be beautiful. If you can get to Banff and Lake Louis, they are beautiful...and you can tie them into the train ride and end up in Vancouver. Maybe check out BC tourism as well!

@Mojo333 I just had a look at Flo as she heads in to the east coast, on the NHC website. She looks horrendous, and I fear for everyone living on the eastern seaboard of the USA. Please keep you and yours safe...

@An54 Your use of household real estate gives me ideas! I have three more days to organize that. I think I'll be going from bedroom to recliner and back again. Bedroom offers closer bathroom access (I seem to be worried about this!). No matter the wonderful lighting system, easy access is also key! I've been practicing back sleeping with my leg lifter wavy pillow jobbie and one pillow on top of that, and I get only so far through the night. Then I want to side sleep with a queen size pillow between my knees...and that won't be happening post op. I fear I'll be journeying to the recliner in the middle of the night. I have reading material strategically placed in both locations!
Have cell phone, will be able to post when sleepless on VI!
 
OH @Alitm you are soooo close to lift off now! Exciting! As for the bedroom set up...I have stuff strategically placed everywhere that can be reached easily in case hubby isn't available. I keep lots of snacks in a basket at the foot of the bed --that I artfully snag and ferry up to bed with my grabber as needed! It helps perfect my grabber maneuvering skills and is usually pretty funny as well... To be chugging a box of crackers slowly over the bed at the end of a grabber... we all need to laugh post op. Still have to find the best spot for the ice machine but I like TerryB's plan of the tray on the bed. You'll have those two sides, did you get two machines?

I got a hospital like table that can be swiveled over the bedside for last surgery, and that is filled with so much stuff; there's a container for meds, everything from RX to homeopathic, melatonin for sleep, magnesium, pain creams,bottled water, chocolate for late night (!), a small container of peanut butter, pens, notepads, Kleenex, flash lite, fan remote and current mail! Under the table is a wastebasket a few inches from me, and my purse. Computer at foot of bed, printer near it, and 473,821 pillows on the bed. It's not an image for Architectural Digest in this state. Remember to take everything you use regularly and put it all at an easy no reach, no bend level. I found this useful in bathroom and kitchen. But I'd forgotten to prep the shower. Counters will look like clutter but you'll be so happy if all cleansing & cosmetic products are out in the open and easy to access.

Get those walker lights mounted now girl!! :)

Don't worry about keeping up with my date -- we will have plenty of time to compare notes during our recoveries. And you make Vancouver sound like an amazing must visit spot. I've been all over Canada ...except the west! One day I'll get there. Sounds very much like my kind of locale.
 
@An54 I kind of did the reverse of you. I only got to the soft cushy living room sofa in the last week or so! Ours is pretty low and very soft leather so I was afraid if I sunk in too deeply I might never get up! It's just a notch away from sitting on the floor which I'll have to save for...later. But I'm only on the sofa for watching upstairs tv and lounging. My husband is in the guest room sofa bed, I've got the master too-high-for-first-2weeks bed but a very comfy mattress. I have a little like 6 inch step stool thing at the bedside, surgery side, that was a really useful item! I still use it for applying lotion on feet, trimming toenails, lotion on legs and socks on and off. Even pants on and off. Makes all those tasks that we bend for just a hair easier. But I still think I will flip everything to the other side for righty. It worked last time, getting out of bed on the surgical side, so will stick with that.

That said, it will be nice to have everything back to pre surgical status when this is all over! And nice to walk without pain too. I'm very excited for the end of the year holidays this year. So much to celebrate. :cheers2:
 
@1stSurgery
Love that cloud nine :-)
I have images in my head of those snacks at the bottom of the bed. Never thought of doing that but then I lost my appetite for the first couple of weeks.
@An54
My bedroom is up 10 stairs and then down 3 but once there I have the ensuite bathroom with toilet seat riser and walk in shower. The day I got home I went straight to bed (the phone rang half way up and husband left me in limbo whilst he answered it) anyway we got there and I felt mightily relieved. Husband moved to the spare room so I had plenty of space to myself. I'm not sure I had quite as many pillows on the bed as @1stSurgery but I did have a fair few plus a body pillow.
I didn't use a walker and as I had the room to myself there was no need for airplane landing lights.
I found sleeping was a problem but I had the ipad and also a big tv in the bedroom which helped pass the time.

After 2 days I decided I wanted to see the downstairs world again so managed the up and own stairs in this place with husband standing behind when I went up and in front when I went down in case of falls, but I never fell and it gave me confidence. Despite also having a downstairs toilet with seat riser I found myself going up and down quite often. sometimes with a backpack on to transport things around. I think the stair climbing really helped strengthen my hip and I was never in any pain.

@Alitm,
Thanks for the info on Vancouver Island I might spend some time on it today, on the other hand today might not be the best day. I have a little ginger kitten arriving later today, his name is Winston, so I guess I have other things to occupy me today.

Have a good day everyone
 
@1stSurgery 9 days so single figures now then!! I love listening to you ladies with all of your "stuff" including midnight snacks!!
I feel like I didn't prepare half as much. As long as I had a drink and the remote control I was sorted!!
I hope you at least used your grabber tool to pick up the drink! In lieu of foresaken PT ...we Bonesmarters need to perfect those assistive device skills! :rotfl:
 
Just waking up on the west coast. Getting up early a a) DH is still on Bda time ( jet lag/awake!) b) anaesthesiaologisr said surgery would be early, unless some major emergency. Will get a call on Thursday te: confirmed surgery time and check in time.
@1stSurgery , @Bionic grl, @An54 snd @Bevlah thankyou so much, thanks for the strategicly placed and detailed mix of must haves. The important things on the bathroom counter top is something I had not thought about at all!
I have only one grabber... do I need another?
I also am at odds as to what I need at the hospital! I should take the dresser stick, long handled shoe horn and sock aid, or do I just ask for help while I am there? Also they told us to not bring much clothing wise. Did you bring much? I want to be somewhat clothed for learning how to walk and goin to practice steps etc! I purchase the really comfy bras that you can sleep in but they offer you some “coverage”! TMI?! I’m sure it will all come together by Thurs PM!
@Bionic congrats on your new kitten Winston. How wonderful! He’ll be such a source of entertainment!
 
Last edited:
Good humor over here, ladies :heehee:
Love Cloud Nine and your sentiment as well!
Hope our dear, anny, is doing well today.
Wishing you comfort for the day @1stSurgery
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom