Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

And I'm so sorry for those of you having to get on long waiting lists of 6 months or more!! I was so upset I had to wait an extra 3 weeks for my OS to have an opening, I know how hard that is when you're in so much pain daily. Get yourself on the lists if you're having regular pain in that forgotten hip! I didn't start the countdown until a month away from the date. A shame to have people in great pain have to wait so long..
 
@1stSurgery Re: the vitamins. Any advice for hair loss? I lose so much hair every day. It's been going on forever. I don't know why I'm not bald. Obviously it--or some of it--grows back.. But when my friend (during our cross-Canada train trip last fall) saw the amount of hair in my brush on a daily basis, she said "Gad you should see a doctor!" Of course by now I have seen more than one doctor, but somehow when your hip is failing, and surgery looms, hair loss isn't the first priority; who remembers to bring it up? I think it's time for me to look into it.
 
@An54
Can you get Plantur39 shampoo over there? It's supposed to be very good for hair loss
 
@An54
Can you get Plantur39 shampoo over there? It's supposed to be very good for hair loss

@Bionic , Interesting. I had never heard of this. Just did the quickest google. To lift a sentence:

"...A combination of natural wheat extracts and provitamin B5 condition, repair and protect coloured and stressed hair. The damaged hair structure is smoothed and the hair is provided with intensive shine."

I wonder, as I have celiac disease, whether the wheat extracts used would counteract the benefits for me.

This calls for more googling.
 
How lovely to get your hair done! There's nothing like it!
I swear by Aveeno as it sorted out my contact dermatitis several years ago when all else failed. My children laugh at me for always extolling its virtues and using it for strange things (greasing the bathroom lock) but applying it is very tricky even with the grabber. It's only calves and feet really perhaps all that swelling and shrinking? I have some rosehip somewhere so that's easy, also magnesium. I also take folic acid as I find it helps with mood (possibly nonsense)
 
I'm not sure what works best with hair @An54 but have heard -- Biotin (Vit B7) as well as the whole b complex, also high dose vitamin A sourced from carotene is good for both hair and nails (this one I can attest to), vit D3 is good and most of us are deficient, and I also like collagen powder, put it in coffee in AM, tasteless but also has protein in it. Good for joints as well as hair, nails. I use Bulletproof brand but that's a California company. Otherwise seek a good shampoo too, without sulfates and parabens. Not sure about celiac restrictions. I feel so bad about what became of wheat, a solid food source since ancient Egypt, thousands of years ago. Then along came glyphosate, round up, over spraying the crops, and sodium azide ...and poof....the world is suddenly allergic to ...wheat. Or gluten. It's a toxic place to live these days, our little rock. And we need to do loads of reading and learning to best navigate it all.
 
And you're welcome @Bionic. The usual "I am but a lowly layperson who does not wear a white coat or have papers in frames attesting to the years I have studied that have earned any expertise" disclaimer applies!!

To test it, I often discontinue some supplements to see if there's any effect or add others for same reason. It's one big experimental lab. But adding the collagen powder supplement was about the first time I ever grew nice healthy nails. Which makes me question if I've always had some collagen or collagen-producing deficiency that may have contributed to the hip deterioration.

When I was a kid, it was people's grey-haired older granny's who got bad hip arthritis. 75, 85 yrs old. Now it seems, gauging from just BoneSmart membership, it's a bunch of 40s-50s in bulk! I find that astonishing yet see very little coverage of it as any sort of phenomena. That was unheard of 50 yrs ago! Why are joints seemingly deteriorating earlier today? Is anyone asking or studying?
 
Coconut oil...organic ...for everything. Skin, hair, oiling locks..
I buy it by the tub.
Trick is to apply it to just out of shower skin...absorbs right in.
I have very sensitive skin...so can't use alot of things!
 
Coconut oil...organic ...for everything. Skin, hair, oiling locks..
I buy it by the tub.
Trick is to apply it to just out of shower skin...absorbs right in.
I have very sensitive skin...so can't use alot of things!
Can't argue with that @Mojo333 Coconut oil is good for almost anything! Toothaches, skin, joints, digestion, hair....so much. And yet, here comes Harvard now, trying to tell us it's suddenly... "Dangerous".

I read somewhere there was some native tribe from South Pacific islands who had virtually no arthritis, and they couldn't figure out why ...but the staple food and oil was coconut, consumed liberally year round.

Thing is, there's no big powerful coconut oil lobby funding med school studies so we will only hear of its virtues from people who have gotten good results from it.
 
I'm not sure what works best with hair @An54 ...., and I also like collagen powder, put it in coffee in AM, tasteless but also has protein in it. Good for joints as well as hair, nails. I use Bulletproof brand but that's a California company. Otherwise seek a good shampoo too, without sulfates and parabens.

Not sure about celiac restrictions. I feel so bad about what became of wheat, a solid food source since ancient Egypt, thousands of years ago. Then along came glyphosate, round up, over spraying the crops, and sodium azide ...and poof....the world is suddenly allergic to ...wheat. Or gluten. It's a toxic place to live these days, our little rock. And we need to do loads of reading and learning to best navigate it all.

@1stSurgery , I just looked up collagen powder. They do sell the Bullet brand here. Looks like different sources of collagen are used in different brands; I'll look into the fish one.

As far as the celiac goes, yes indeed, all that intensive manipulation for greater crop yields , and there ya go. When I was diagnosed, my family doc recommended my four siblings get tested. They all did so, and two came out with high transglutaminase readings, and both of them had celiac confirmed with endoscopies. Those two affected sibs have children who have celiac.

The celiac generated chronic inflammation could have been sucking the life out of my hip joints (??) Or perhaps it's a congenital weakness. I suspect the latter (or both) as I had a hunch in my early 20s that my hips would be the first to go (after my mind, haha) :)
 
Sorry about the celiac @An54. Interesting you had a hunch at a young age about the hips. No one could have been more surprised than I was when mine went, seemingly in record time! I mean, yeah my mom had a bad hip but I was thinking that would be reserved for my aged years.... But maybe I was thinking I was still 40. I felt like it. And then wham, "bone on bone"?! I never thought I'd be dealing with this now. We just don't know what's around any corner.

So you found the Bulletproof collagen powder there?? It comes in a big package that lasts a long time. I think you'll like the results if that's the one you saw.

5 musician friends of hubby are coming over in a little bit, longtime buddies we haven't seen in awhile, so I need to get ready to represent the estrogen in the household as hostess ...and pretend I can walk. It's going to be a long and loud evening I expect. But that's also a kind of medicine for me. And these guys are all excellent amazing musicians. I might even indulge in some Tylenol!!! Woohoo! Walk on the wild side!!
 
@An54 I hear that we can lose hair after a big surgery or other physical or life traumas.

I have just purchased "Original Enhanced Collagen" for post op. It is made by Organika in BC. Purchased at one of our very good health food stores here in Duncan. It is labeled as 100% pure and free from: Dairy, egg, artificial preservatives, colours, yeast, artificial sweeteners, wheat, corn, soya, gluten or GMO ingredients.

I take a regular vitamin supplement for 50+ and have added B complex, extra Vit C as well as a Zinc, Selenium, Beta-Carotene and Vit E source from my naturopathic doctor for a couple of weeks pre-op. The latter grouping I have to stop three days before surgery.

Will start the collagen and bone broth when I get home.

Don't know if this is of any value to you, but thought I should share. I am tagging @1stSurgery to see if she has any further comments.

Off to MRI for lower back. Taking some rescue remedy (really a flask of gin would be great for this minimal "imbiber") ! Last of appointments until surgery day....two weeks from today!!! :yes!: and :flabber: all rolled into one!
 
@Alitm Sounds like a good regime of supplements there, I take those also plus some others. But I like to switch it up every now and then and experiment. And I've not gotten into bone broth yet but keep meaning to, heard many good things about it. Your collagen source sounds good as well. My only concern is I hope your MRI was the type without using gadolinium the contrast dye. Some people have bad reactions to gadolinium, depending on your system. you're only two weeks away, And I'm three!! Getting exciting. My pre op To Do list still looks long but at least I have my priorities straight and have the hairdresser booked! :)
 
@1stSurgery , what instruments? What kind of music? Do tell.
It was such a fun evening! These guys are all very busy traveling, working etc, so we haven't been able to get together all at once in years. So much catching up to do. We had two keyboardists, one classically trained at Berklee but moved into classic rock bands, now a TV composer. The other keyboardist, had same classic piano background, moved into rock and does stadium tours with bands who've been touring for years. A fabulous in demand lead guitarist --who also played my wedding. I had him play Here Comes the Bride a la Hendrix - with dive bomb chords and the church echoed the sound so well! A few surprised guests and...and the organist was surprised as well it turned out... but it worked! He's living in Europe now and touring most the time also. An excellent bass player who began paying in Texas churches and moved into pop and rock. And hubby - plays his robust vocal chords. But we spent most the night yapping, laughing, and catching up with everyone's lives now. I even nearly forgot about my evil twin right hip for hours! Note to self: invite more people over, better than Tylenol.
 
The MRI was amazing. No contrast dye needed. I didn't take the rescue remedy (or Gin!) and remembered @stellaluna 's recommendation of yoga nidra technique for post-op healing. The tech also suggested a dry facecloth over my eyes, which apparently helps with claustrophobia. Anyhow, I closed my eyes and focused on my breath, made sure my tongue wasn't stuck up in the roof of my mouth (something we do reflexively when under stress) and went into a really deep meditation! I was felt so relaxed and rested....just as one is after yoga nidra at yoga class. Why had I not put that little gold nugget to practice (outside of class) for awhile. Strongly suggest every one try it, if they haven't already!
 
I have your date on my calendar @1stSurgery....as I fear I will otherwise forget in my first week post-op!
I had my hair appointment on Wednesday:) We are neck and neck.

I, like you, can't wait to get through the surgery and out onto the healing side! I still have the wobblies about the fear of the unknown, but with the yoga nidra back at the top of my emotional tool box, I'm feeling much more relaxed again. :yes!:

Have a great holiday weekend and all the best with your check list!!
:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom