Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

@Bchbum4evr seems pretty soon after surgery to be traveling but hopefully you've rigged up the RV for your comfort and have a good icing station in there! I agree about nature and am so happy to live close to parkland with an abundance of it! Enjoy your trips and be careful with that new hippy.

@Mojo333 i actually stopped icing! (Please don't expel me from BS!!) The lefty has been such a model patient --all the swelling and pain are pretty much gone. The numbness is still there so I am still confusing the couch cushion with my thigh ....but otherwise it's the wicked righty who's causing all the trouble these days. And since she's pre-op, the ice hasn't been the thing that makes her shut up. She likes rest and sleep. And then more rest :)
 
I should state our RV is considered Glamping, not Camping. Will bring ice packs and pillows, plus we have 2 ice makers. I did practice last week on getting up and down the stairs of RV. So I'm good. Hubs also knows he will be doing the hauling from house to RV.

Our grandson plays football for Alabama State Univ and they play Auburn Univ at Auburn on Sept 8, so that is ultimate goal. Luckily, others are doing the cooking and tailgating. Nice little shuttle will take us to stadium. If at any time I feel I can't, I won't. As stated by others, this hip is an investment.

Sorry to hear the Righty is being so stubborn, I'm not surprised as my oldest Birthday is Sept 20 and she has been a handful at times.

Continued healing thoughts for you..
 
I should state our RV is considered Glamping
Yes! Big fans of The Glamp in these parts, even though we cheap out and manage it with a tent. And RV: delooox.

1stSurgery, come Sept 20, will you change your handle to "2ndSurgery"? I know it'll be a relief to have that rotten righty out of there and made into an ashtray on someone's coffee table! (At least that's how I imagine mine.)
 
Ist Surgery - I too abandoned icing early on. Never felt I needed it for new hip except on swollen foot and ankle. Tried it on old knee a few times but only recently found that arthritic side responds much better to a hot water bottle.
 
@1stSurgery that sounds like a lovely day out and very therapeutic. I went to the beach house my brother has rented for the week yesterday. Bought myself a comfy chair that I will keep in the car so that I know I can be comfy wherever I go and sat on a beautiful terrace all afternoon overlooking the beach in it. Had lots of grandson cuddles and it was so good for the soul. This time in my last recovery I hadn't even left the house and I have been out practically every day since post op day 6!! I am not in the odic club, just enjoying having 2 surgeries behind me and loving life!!! I suggest getting yourself a portable comfy chair so that you can go to the beach anytime and know you will be comfortable? The chairs are a real issue aren't they? I missed out on the family lunch in the pub yesterday as I just didn't want to sit in a hard pub Chair. Instead I sat on mine overlooking the beach waiting for them to finish, much more comfy!
 
Hi @Bevlah can you provude specific details about the portable chair you describe - it sounds lovely. All we have are the cavas 'fisherman's' type chairs which are too unstable for me to risk trying even at 3m post-op.
 
I definitely used a hearing pad on my hips pre-op.
Lived on one actually.
Iced constantly post-op.
Had very little swelling or bruising but helped with pain and just felt good to me!

Hope today is a good day...hard to have one of those with a bad hip. My sympathies
 
@Newhip_Pol it's just a deckchair as per the image. It's comfy because the seat goes back too and it's high enough not to break the 90 degree rule. If you're in the UK it came from the range but I am sure any deckchair like this will be fine. I am going to a friend's house tomorrow for a Chinese and will take it with me so I don't have to worry about where to sit!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery
    1516983611_7481.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 147
It sounds like a fun trip @Bchbum4evr - I know Alabama seems to have the best teams in everything so best of luck to your grandson on the game! And I'm glad you're all rigged up with ice and a plan! Remember... as we used to say in the venerable halls of the OCC...
"REST IS GOOD!" :bath::sleep::ice:

@Bone-obo I thought about that "2nd surgery" name change too, but then I thought it might be like being in the BoneSmart Witness Peotection program, and I might get lost! :shrug:
I was going to ask OS for a femoral head selfie at least, not sure it would be good mojo to bring any remnants of it back home!
Maybe a proper burial service... :dubious:

@bickypeg-- yes, It does get confusing with heating pads on one side, ice packs on the other and a hundred and twelve pillows in between!

Wow that's really early @Bevlah for a beach outing! I'm impressed and you're giving me more hope my second might zip right along! Yes chairs are a real concern. I travel around with my soft foam seat cushion which fits in a tote bag and is great for those hard low metal chairs. Will look into a deck chair like you got, thanks! I think I'm more worried about being ready for the big work load that October holds.. than the surgery itself! The left hip has done so well since replacement, a very unremarkable, clean recovery, I think the right will be even better. The only setbacks really have been that evil right one going downhill so quickly .. and a few odd eye infections.

And as always, thanks for the good wishes @Mojo333! Right back at you!! :loveshwr:

Today I called the OS to remind them of my pre-op Rxs and to issue me a new placard for the car ...those things in your car here.. are like leaving a big bag marked "GOLD" on the seat. People steal them, break into cars to get them!! It's because, no matter where you go in LA, you can pretty much guarantee you won't find a parking place. It's city of valets and all spots taken. I've seen fights erupt over parking. It's a dangerous activity! When they issue the handicapped placards here, they warn you to be sure to remove them when at the carwash, when you valet, etc...or it will be stolen.

Have my old To-Do list from last THR and will follow that and pre-register soon at hospital so it's done when I go in. 24 days.....
 
Last edited:
You will do very well and thank heavens for getting rid of that horrid hip pain once and for all!
Next year will be the year you can see your scars truly fade and all the days will be brighter.
Not much left now...
Hope you have a Good Good Day!
 
Love your beach outing update. It sounded lovely!
Loved all of your descriptions, I felt like I was there. I can imagine you being a people magnet
and I don't even know you.

I wish Righty wasn't bothering you so. It will be great when they're acting more like twins, rather than estranged brother and sister. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@1stSurgery
 
I've decided my new thread title should be "1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery!" For after September 20.

Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333 for all the ongoing support and good wishes. I'd like to send righty off in style somehow. Memorialize her demise... but in a good way! It's a rebirth, a renaissance! Lefty will be so happy as well to have his new sister in place and soon ready to rumba! I wrote my hairdresser a rather pathetic sounding plea today, but he's known me a long time.. "Can you please see me in two visits, and after hours or off days, so I can stumble in on my cane or Walker, and have many breaks to go horizontal?" (shampoo chairs are good for this)

It's a bustling busy salon and I'm not quite up for hobbling in there in this state in full traffic. I think he will carve out some time for me, he's a very kind hearted man. The usual days there are long waits, it's always full and hectic. This kind of pain wouldn't tolerate it well.

23 DAYS....
But who's counting?! :dancy:
 
I like the thread title! Let us know if / when you want to change it.
Hoping the next 23 days blows by.
I know you're miserable and anxious to get surgery behind you.
Wishing you comfort and sending a hug your way.
@1stSurgery
 
I'm getting so excited about your second surgery @1stSurgery !I do hope I can follow you soon! So fed up of thinking - that was a much better night! Only up once and no painkillers- until I get out of bed and am bent over like an old witch going ouch ouch ouch...Lovely new hip and very nasty old hip.Left hip is ready to get in the car for a little trip, right hip says don't be silly. And how I long to go to the hairdressers. Might manage a quick cut and blow-dry but can't face having my roots done. Also their loo is up a narrow very steep staircase which I couldn't manage :sad:and they do a great cappucino...
Anyone have any thoughts on vitamins? I swallowed huge amounts of everything before going in but gather turmeric and cod liver oil are frowned on post operatively? My skin especially on legs and feet is very dry and hair less than lustrous. Certainly not getting any vitamin D from the sun.
 
@1stSurgery
So glad that you are getting your second hip done and its not too far off now. I need my other hip and one knee done but don't see the OS again for 6 months. Still it will give the right hip time to heal properly.

As for the hairdressers I would love to go but its the thought of the chairs you sit/lie in to have your hair washed that is putting me off. Can't imagine getting down so low.

@bickypeg
The loo at my hairdressers is upstairs also. I don't want to make a fool of myself trying to haul my hips up there.

I know what you mean about skin being dry. I told hubby that I must have been a reptile in a former life. He did put baby lotion on my legs for me but didn't seem to relish the job so probably wont be asking him again. Somewhere I have one of those light oil sprays that might work.

I have never taken vitamins so can't really help there but if you find something good let me know as my hair has less life in it than the mop
 
What is it with husbands?! Can't say mine ever came back to massage my leg again! I managed to get some Aveeno on a tissue and used my grabber to slosh it about but it wasn't very successful!
I've had a real eye opener these last couple of years on how grim life can be for the disabled.Inaccessible loos and public transport, no available car parking, lack of seats in shops to collapse on, even getting to the surgery is very difficult. Don't fancy the dentist either. You want me to get up there?!
 
Re Hair, Skin, Vitamins! @bickypeg and @Bionic

Hair: My kind hairdresser was kinder than I even thought! He will see me on Monday when salon is closed to public and so the shampoo etc himself. Shampoo chairs stretch out nicely so I can go horizontal as needed. He offered two Monday's so I wouldn't have to sit so long but I may try to do it in one, just light touch up and fast blow dry -I mostly need a cut. So one thing checked off the list but I'm sure it will involve ice.... And the loo is big and downstairs. I'm very thankful he offered this because he works hard and appreciates his few days off.

Skin! Ok ladies I found a couple things that really helped me but not sure if these are US only products. First try to find an aloe Vera cream that doesn't just have 'some' aloe in it but is at least 80% aloe. Fragrance might not be the sweetest but it works. Second, this really helped my post op lizard legs... A company called Desert Essence sells body creams in 8 oz tubes --I had to get several. But the Sweet Almond is my preferred, others work as well. They're organic with Shea butter, jojoba oil, etc, no parabens or sulfates, and I couldn't believe how fast they helped with lizard legs! Non oily, not greasy, absorb fast but really deeply moisturizing. All the other more chemical ingredient body lotions didn't work for me. This was some serious dry skin from the heavy antibiotic applications at the hospital.

I also used my Unoperated foot as the application tool of cream to the operated calf in early days! Dab a bunch of cream on the bottom of the big toe area and use that to apply and rub into leg skin on operated side when you can't bend on that side. Mind you, this was before wicked evil hip showed her angry side and was still somewhat docile and workable. Lastly I got Himalayan sea salt exfoliating scrub for the shower, and used the up until then useless but cute pink shower chair to apply.

And vitamins: I am a big subscriber to large doses of vitamin C both pre and post op. Not Esther C, inferior quality, best is rose hips but a good brand ascorbic should be fine. I take up to 3000 units, a 1000 cap three times /day with meals. Caveat is to drink lots of water when taking high dose C. Turmeric reportedly thins blood so is not recommended pre op. I was told to stop 10 days before surgery as is same with Omega 3s and Vit E and Vit Ks. I take a potpourri of many supplements... but I have to say, aside from hips, I've been in extreme health for a long time. Immunity very strong. You need to research quite a bit to get the right doses and combos of supplements. My most critical ones are minerals, especially magnesium potassium. Magnesium is just a wonder mineral for so many things.
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom