Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

That's funny, @SurreyGirl - was posting on your thread same time you were posting here!

Yes of course the stories here are the REAL ones. And bear little resemblance to those other tales. So much of it, like everything, is the result of expectations... and it seems -after reading all these accounts here- that there is no real way to know just how each hip will respond and for how long. There are averages and means and then there's your own hips. I wish my OS had warned me that arthritic evil twin bad unoperated hip would most likely degrade swiftly from all the additional weight bearing and strains put on it during shiny new good hip's recovery. Knowing that would have had me handle early walking and exercises differently and saved much pain and a few days of blues realizing the surgeon had to be booked again so soon. This site is a great resource for managing expectations by reading everyone's experiences and asking questions.

Now it's bedtime here. :sleeep::yawn:

Goodnight!!
 
One month and the evil twin will meet its demise:yes!:

Hope lefty is behaving and I hope today is a good day for you @1stSurgery:tada:
 
Hahaha! I'll have to check out the thread you started in the Social Room.
It should eventually be good humor. I can only imagine some of the tall tales we'll read.
One month from today is your big day. Hope the month flies so you can have it all behind you.
Best wishes for a great week!
@1stSurgery
 
Ok I started a thread at the social room, I guess it's kind of like the "parlor" of the BoneSmart Villa?

It's a place for all hippies to recount the Tall Tales from the THR Fairytale Book that you've heard - about everyone's great aunt or stepmother's friend of a friend - who had a miraculously speedy recovery from THR and was scuba diving on day 12. We've ALL heard them.

Drop your stories here for posterity!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/

I only heard one Tall Tale, which I allowed to go in one ear and exit the other immediately. I can't recall enough detail to make it worthwhile relating. .. she was off walking aids first week, swimming second week... I'll try to remember the details.

The Social Room is a great space, but somewhat underutilized. I've started three threads there since I joined, but after a few posts they end up just being me, a monologue about me , or my poems (did have a few great contributions from others!) But it's slow. It's because THESE recovery forums are so lively--we are drawn to where others are, checking progress, or looking for answers about THR.

One of those social room threads, the google armchair travel, can be brilliant! Very engaging. I visited Venice for the first time the other day. I believe it was Wintersong's link. Maybe I will go GoogleTouring again, and see what outlandish spot I can parachute down into. The great Wall of China?

I will keep my ears peeled for upcoming Tall Tales to add to the Anthology Of.
 
Yes @Mojo333 and @Layla, one quick month left! I'm willing it to be quick. Last night I guess I went overboard again, was not so reckless that I bent to pet the cat again, oh no, learned my lesson there. But I performed the other well known extreme sport of ....sitting at the dining room table too long...or something. Went to get up and bam, the knife stabbing right groin returned again. Actually had to get right to horizontal position, immediately, it's such an intense pain, but short lived. Something has come undone in that decomposing bad hip! Hubby accused me of launching into a dramatic display simply to get out of clearing the table. :) Spent the rest of the night horizontal and practically immobile as the slightest twist or bend brings it back. Today is better again. For now.

Evil twin hip is clearly NOT going to give me any breaks, pun unintended. She is now seeing herself as galloping home to the stables in our 30 day countdown phase. She is wild, wicked and kicking but had better be a compliant little kitten after she gets her makeover. Stoic and mature lefty has accepted all this righty ruckus and rebellion with quiet dignity, even though it has cost him dearly (lefty is a him I decided) -it has cost him his freedom, his daily walks, his muscle growth. He is patient and knows his day will come once she has had her time on the table with the Beni Hana wizardry.

Per usual the moral of the story is...

.:bath: :sleep::yawn::ice:
REST IS GOOD
 
Last edited:
hi @An54! Enjoyed your story about the doctors today and your creative sitting / rising style!! Hahha! I could so see that. I do that wild waving arm flap thing too, but when trying to walk unaided with no limp. It's like," See? Look! I'm not limping! Pay no attention to that blur of arms frantically flying over my head in some losing attempt at balance....I'm not limping!!"

I think maybe the social room is more attractive to those in between recovery crises and like myself, at that stage of waiting between surgeries. Don't know, I'm the new kid over there. Thanks for your Tall Tale contribution and enjoy the Great Wall. Take photos!!
 
I got the out of nowhere, why is this happening, what did I do, stabbing groin pain also a few times leading up to surgery. For me it left a hangover or toothache type feeling, not excruciating but lurking in the shadows. I'd end up taking a couple Aleve and it would usually be gone completely the next day. I can imagine how you feel like your Recovery is being stalled. Thankfully it will all be behind you soon.
Hope your night is comfortable.
@1stSurgery
 
This one doesn't really linger or ache in that way, it just stabs mightily and then as fast, it retreats ...until I move a millimeter in that same direction again! After a long rest, it will go into hiding. Until next time! But in general the right hip is not fit for walking I'm afraid, besides the stabbing pains, it's just too far gone.

Oh @Layla, recovery is SO stalled, it's very disheartening to just be sitting around all this time with this shiny nice new excellent hip. Tomorrow is pre-op appt at Dr for labs and all. I will need to be dropped right at elevator -am even worried about walking just in the office. It can bring your mood down when it's been so long... waiting. I know it will all be fine....in some more months after second time. I just can't wait to be able bodied again.

That's why I really want others here to pay heed to their OTHER hip during recovery and to not exacerbate it if it too was in any progressed state of arthritis. It must be a delicate balance, to walk enough on the new one while still being gentle on the other so it won't decline too badly. I did not find that balance, sadly! Thanks for listening.
 
One more month dear 1stSurgery.
I'm so sorry you're struggling and feeling so vulnerable.
It's going to get better...and along with the aggravations, no doubt some cabin fever and post op blues have set in.
Wishing you a good day and sending healing hugs!:console2:
 
@1stSurgery hi love. Bless you and I know what you mean. I wanted mine done straight after my first but the first recovery wasnt so good. This one is so much easier and I believe alot of it is down to my body finally being in sinc with a strong hip to rely on. The first I op you use an arthritic shattered hip as your "good" leg makes no sense! I am so happy I am now able to get them both recovered, at different stages, but in the same race! Good luck
 
Poor love. It's not fair. Suspect I am right behind you. But at least we know what to expect now and we have one super hip to help the other recover. Remember those early days when briefly it all felt great (apart from the constant peeing, the constipation, the insomnia, the swollen foot)? You'll be back there before you know it! And it will be amazing!
 
Hi :hi:
Hoping your pre-op went well today.
I'm sorry you're so miserable. I wish I could wiggle my nose like Samantha Stevens and make it go away!
Big hugs and wishes for your comfort.
@1stSurgery
 
Yep @Mojo333 definitely cabin fever and a few random blues hit yesterday. I was worrying if I'd be able to undress and dress in the Dr's office, shoes and socks and all-- without my power tools! It wears on you this constant limitation.

And thanks @Layla for the nose wiggling wish! As it turns out, the trip to the doctor went fine. Hubby went to drop me right at the elevator (but the handicapped spot was taken by a big suv with no handicap card or plate!)
:bignono:
Why do people do that?!

But I didn't have too far to walk. Six tubes of blood drawn, because pathologist who took tissue from old femoral head found inflammatory makers and wanted them to check for RA or lupus. She (Dr) said right leg muscles were pretty atrophied, but... I don't see it... All else checked out fine. Will see lab work on portal when it's ready.

Then hubby took me to a lovely cafe nearby for lunch! Brought my cane and cushion and ...what fun I had, just eating a burger and slaw ...and being around PEOPLE!! Yes, there are people on the planet! And they walk and talk and eat lunch and laugh! I had no problems since we got me in and out at the Loading Zone and today is sunny and beautiful - so just to feel the breeze, and even to swat at the flies on the terrace was ....it was all so delightful!

And thank you both @bickypeg and @Bevlah for the encouraging words! Your second hip story gives me great hope, Bevlah! I have exactly 4 weeks after next surgery for number 2 hip to behave and perform well for some work events. I think she owes me at this point, I've babied her this past week and allowed her to rest for a good long time now.
 
Good you were able to get out into the "real world" even if for OS appointment.
I really am keeping the faith that getting rid of that rotten hip 2 will resolve your issues:fingersx:
Hard to know about the other concerns with that causing all the distress.
I thought I could have had fibromyalgia, bone cancer, or lupus as my two bad hips seem to cause a body wide inflammation and referred pain after such a long time of no diagnosis with hip OA.
Hang in there...hugs!
 
Happy to hear your appointment went well yesterday.
Getting out to lunch or dinner and feeling part of the world again is so uplifting.
You feel like less of a patient. At least mentally.
I hope you have a great day today!
@1stSurgery
 
Thanks @Mojo333. And @Layla. I'm not actually worried about any of these floating pre-diagnoses doctors seem to enjoy throwing out there. I think I just have a very deteriorated angry hip and she likes to make a fuss regularly, a real drama queen, that one is. She should learn from her calm and steady brother how to behave...

Is it me ...or do some doctors have a hidden sadistic side?! After I told her all about the extreme pain righty was causing upon the slightest bends or turns...she proceeds to hoist it up in the air and then twist it left and right like a corkscrew, all the while smiling, "Does this hurt?"

YESSSS!!!
Catch my breath and tell her to stop, and she looks at me distressed like --Wow there must be something wrong with you if that hurt....

And then, bonesmarteurs and bonesmarteuses will like this part, then she rattles off my instructions like a drill Sargent --OK I want you to do three sets of 10 repititions each per day of ....leg lifts (she yanks the right leg up in the air again to show me)

OW!!
And ....3 sets of ten each of clamshells and ....

Her voice trailed off and I heard nothing. (Like the dog cartoons when they only hear Blahblahbalhbalh walk blahblah blahblah food blah blah blah) I just kind of nodded waiting for the voice sound to stop. As if I'm going to embark on a series of exercises when I can barely get my socks off or make it upstairs!

Otherwise it went well! :)
 
On the agenda for this weekend is a trip to the beach! Maybe lunch on a bench in the sand, not going to try sitting down on the ground... that could be disastrous, but just to hear, see and smell the ocean will I think be uplifting and calming.
 
Definitely the beach but be careful walking on the sand! Strolling on the beach in Northumberland used to be the happy place I went to in my mind when feeling stressed- until I realised it's very unpleasant with dodgy hips.
Think my consultant was having a bad day a year ago when I couldn't pinpoint where my hip pain was (all over you silly man) and he wrenched it and I actually screamed! Couldn't stand up the next day. It helped me decide I needed to retire however...
 
@bickypeg i believe the doctors who've never experienced arthritis kind of don't get it. My regular doctor is pretty young and fit, a runner, and she doesn't seem to get the killer hip.

I have a place at the beach where we can park close and there are benches not too far from the shore, with sidewalks.....it's really lovely, so will probably go there. Doubt I would attempt any sand walking though, I can barely walk on wood floors! But maybe just sink my feet in it, for the fun of it!
 
:yes:Yes for the beach...and no :no-fin:for walking in the the sand. Too much for recovering and bad hip.
Yes I speak from experience.:yes:
But yes :yes: for putting feet in it..and yes :yes: for salt air and the wonderful sound of waves crashing.
Double No :gaah:for clamshells...The Worst.
And triple no for falling.:no-fin::no-fin::no-fin:

Hope you get out and get some change of scenery and have a great weekend:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom