Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Hope today finds you better.
The months before my surgery I had a heating pad on my hips constantly.
Didn't help except for when I had it on but was soothing...poor 1st Surgery...maybe Ice on one, heat on the other.:good-bad:
Body will be so confused!

Healing hugs!:hugzz:
Had a much better afternoon and night guys! All down to resting and 3 codeine tablets over 12 hours! Took one at 4.00pm, in bed at 11.00, woke once briefly at 3.00 then up at 6.00! Unheard of. I know they only mask the pain but if I can sleep I can cope with anything.
Sister keeps warning me that they're addictive but I'm being careful.
 
So sorry you're dealing with the pain.
Hope you're feeling better today, less stressed.
I hope you have the stunning Thursday you mentioned above.
Hugs to you!
@1stSurgery
 
@1stSurgery I'm sorry you have been in so much pain. I am glad to read that it is somewhat better? Rest sure helps me. I just say to my family, "Gotta get off the hips" and horizontal I get! I'm so sorry that your OA keeps giving out on you, but good that you are getting on with getting it done yes?
I live with the heating pad across my backside, and this time next month it will be ice. Try and rest as much as you can. Seeing what you are going through is a reminder to me to take care during the next four weeks. I am so sorry you are having a difficult time with the OA hip, when trying to recover from THR on the other hip. :good-bad:
Sending prayers and my most positive healing thoughts.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hey @1stSurgery
I also have been hoping you will post. Maybe you are at the park...catching some Nature!
Hope you're not distressed...pop in when you're able!:friends:
 
Hello all - and thanks so much for all your concerns. Not to worry, I am fine and the rest protocol seems to be doing an effective job at healing whatever went awry when I had the audacity to engage in that extreme high risk sport of ... petting the cat. The surgeon said I should ''curtail my activities' after the knife stab pain event, so I had little choice but to stop ... petting the cat. (which was about my only activity left aside from eating and the restroom!) She is somewhat pouty about it, but understanding all the same. I've promised her some huge petting sessions when it's all better and I can add bending back to the activities list. I think maybe today. :)

Been catching up on some needed home repairs, doing my business taxes on extension, and seeing some friends who I hadn't seen since surgery. And lots of resting! It really does work. Quite amazingly in fact. So much focus on evil twin bad hip lately...I decided to switch focus and lean it towards new shiny happy titanium hip. She is a gem and has really become a good reliable hippy. Almost no pain, problem free, no complaints. The bone knitting construction crew is still in there, frantically busy trying to get the foundation finished before the next demolition takes place on the operating table. They know the clock is ticking so I figure the rest is also helping them to get the job done without distraction.

Otherwise I hope everyone in pain is finding relief and surrounded in walls of ice!
 
Hi @An54, I'm doing just fine! I admit that I could not locate my de-fluffing device and have been somewhat disoriented in finding my way... I was born to fluff, what are you gonna do?

How are you doing in your hippy wonderland recovery? Well I hope!

Coffee sounds lovely, thank you!! --but I'm not adding other sites on to my internet travels at this point. I know myself and when I spread too thin around the web I lose too much time and get behinder and behinder in RL! Maybe social rooms here, but would need to read all those rules and things, (not my forte admittedly!)

Let me know if there's some thread in social rooms that seems fitting for someone with a decided proclivity to occasionally burst into a random fluff explosion! :heehee:

Or maybe we create one?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Alitm - I like that "Get Horizontal!" May be my new mantra for the moment! I'm much better but it took 3 days of much horizontal time. Pillows are my friends, even though I've been known to punch a few in the middle of the night. My husband prefers I punch pillows to the alternative...

You are coming up very soon for your big bilateral!! Exciting! That's what I keep telling my friends is wherever there is fear or trepidation, we can flip it and turn it to excitement. I'm finally at that stage with the #2 hip demolition / ground up remodel. Took some time but I'm getting excited now. Trick is to hold on to that and not slip back to fear. But just admiring the Good Hip, the bionic one, helps to foster that confidence that this is going to all turn out so well in the end. Until then, I need more post-op baggy pants and tops.

Healing energy going back to you and wishing you a smooth surgery on the 14th. I'm the following week.
 
Last edited:
Love your posts!
Glad to see you are feeling better.
I was worried:umm:
It truly is amazing how amazing titanium hips are.
I guess we only know our own experiences but I was so tentative about two new hips I almost broke my arms on the walker trying to be non weight bearing!:beg:
After...Aah..maybe four days...I finally stood on them, for real.
I went on the forum...Eureka, I proclaimed! It worked! Of course everything else hurt...but new hips...Good!:tada:
I think I got a response from Josephine something like...well, duh...you had them replaced.
Much more diplomatic then that, but to my sensitivities...I was like, well ...who knew:shrug:?

Glad for the update...onward and upward.
:egypdance:
 
The bone knitting construction crew is still in there, frantically busy trying to get the foundation finished before the next demolition takes place on the operating table. They know the clock is ticking so I figure the rest is also helping them to get the job done without distraction.

Love your imagination....ever think of writing a book?

So happy to see you back :yes: Was getting concerned. Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend! :friends:
@1stSurgery
 
That's funny @Mojo333! I also gave those Walker arms a real run for their money at the onset, but the image of you, bilateral, charging around on your upper body strength alone, legs dangling in the air below... is a funny vision! We are so precious with these new "accessories"! Like we think they're made of china and might just break.

In other good news today, I got the $48,000 hospital bill ...with the best part reading "What you owe: $00.00"-- Quite a relief!!
 
@Layla, thank you, have done my share of writing in several different media and will probably be doing more going forward. Once I finish playing patient! What a year! I keep trying to recall last time I walked and hiked freely without the familiar hobble and pain.... I think it was back in early, very early 2017. I'm projecting somewhere between holidays this year --to spring of next year ...as my "return to normal" time, where I'll be mobile and (mostly) pain free again. And looking forward to that is keeping me semi-sane for now!

One thing THR teaches for sure is PATIENCE.
 
@1stSurgery.....feel free to think up creative threads for the Social Room. There is really only one rule for posting there....no "chat" threads - general threads where people discuss a wide variety of topics. You must pick a subject for each thread and generally the posts in it need to center around that topic. That doesn't mean fluff can't burst out now and then; just that the majority of posts should remain on topic for the thread subject.

But with your creativity, I'm sure you'll be able to dream up a ton of interesting topics about which other BoneSmarties will muse for hours! :thumb:
 
Thanks @Jamie, we had mused about doing one with "Tall Tales from the THR Fairy Tale Book" Recounting all those well intended friends' stories about their uncles' boss's cousin' grandma ...who was skiing in Aspen the day after THR with only Tylenol, and the like. I've already gotten a handful of the tall tales. :)
 
And possibly a collection of descriptive short stories of classic Post THR Firsts.

First steps, first poops, first trips...we already have these but there are folks who relay and detail them after their surgery with such beautifully written narrative and humor...yourself, @An54, @SurreyGirl and Bone-obo come to mind.
I'm guessing newbies would love to check it out and the graduates will giggle as they walk down memory lane!
 
Last edited:
Well I owe it to this forum as I blogged my recovery from waking up in the Recovery room and doing this kept me going through some dark times as I had people cheering me on from the sidelines and encouraging me to get help. I always used to love writing and keep diaries of my holidays which are funny, end in cliff hangars every day and keep my nephews and nieces amused as they grew up from teenage to adulthood. And they STILL want the stories!

I have learnt and am learning so much from people’s experiences.
 
I like that idea @Mojo333 about the "Firsts" as a topic for social rooms! Everyone could contribute to that. Will work something up later. Thanks! Think it should begin with "First Post-op Shower" (bring in Psycho music track for mine, it was terrifying)

Ahh yes @SurreyGirl - dairies are priceless - especially when we stash them away somewhere "safe" and secret and ...forgotten ,...only to stumble upon them decades later! A good friend just found hers from @ 35 yrs ago, detailing all our fun adventures together and she read me a few pages -- we were howling! Lots of falling in and out of love with people we no longer recalled... :heehee: So much we'd forgotten about.
 
Ok I started a thread at the social room, I guess it's kind of like the "parlor" of the BoneSmart Villa?

It's a place for all hippies to recount the Tall Tales from the THR Fairytale Book that you've heard - about everyone's great aunt or stepmother's friend of a friend - who had a miraculously speedy recovery from THR and was scuba diving on day 12. We've ALL heard them.

Drop your stories here for posterity!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/
 
Sounds awful to say it but glad there are people here for whom the recovery is not straightforward as puts ones own situation into perspective. Still on two crutches in the big bad wide world and will stay that way until I feel otherwise. One one crutch mostly in the house and actually find it easier and means I can carry things on the crutch free hand.

Back to physios next week but will be very careful.

Tweaking the pain meds is the most important thing for me. I am still happily on codeine in week four and will try to come off it but only gradually. Love the idea of the Horizontal Club. Hubby now well trained on this. Yesterday at 10am he asked me if I was getting up. I thought about it. And answer “No! Could you be a sweetie and bring me more ice and a cup of tea”? tbh it was wonderful to not have to think or worry about anything except the next hour. Hip felt much better in the afternoon which is when I stupidly went for too long a walk and overdid it.

Good luck everyone. We will get there (some sooner than others) and will be looking back and laughing at our posts a year on (I hope)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom