Guest viewing is limited

THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Good morning OCC et al! I'm embarrassed to report something went awry last night in evil twin bad unoperated right hip --who kicked me in the groin ferociously while I was...standing in the hallway of the bedroom. Just. Standing. I had just finished the very cautious and gentle bed exercises, the usual quad isometrics, glutes, heel slides etc. I do them purely to keep muscle tone and some strength, but never to excess. But wow, this was like a knife! Then it came back again a few times later with basic moves, put me back in bed :(

Righty is on a Total Strike now and refuses to play. Weight bearing isn't happening. She jabs me with hard core pains so there's no arguing with her. Which sent me into a sobbing fit in my coffee today, wondering how I will do 38 more days like this.

I think this is a good lesson, caveat, to hippies about to have surgery. If both hips have OA, you should realize that the "left behind" one you don't replace is going to be under some extraordinary strains and pressures during recovery of the operated one while you naturally lean the weight over to that side. And my experience was that ---after about 3-4 weeks of having to carry that extra burden, while operated leg is still in major healing log leg mode... There was a rapid deterioration of the unoperated hip that had been left to carry the load. It's surprising how bad it got, and I've read others comment similarly.

So....I would mentally prepare yourself if both hips are severely arthritic to recognize you may well be having #2 surgery sooner than expected. And, had I known this happens, (or had I possessed more common sense!) I would have handled operated leg recovery differently by making less demands upon forgotten right leg. By not trying so hard to walk further each day and ignore the then milder protests of right hip. By accepting the load I assigned her during early recovery was too heavy, too burdensome. Alas! I've been utterly insensitive to evil twins needs!!

I hope I can save someone in same situation having to be taken by surprise by this. If I'd been warned, I would have been even MORE Overly Cautious those first weeks. Now, it's more rest and rest and counting down days. Hubby is back as key errand boy/man. Maybe it will improve with rest.
How very sad. Something similar happened to me after trying a couple of simple standing exercises to my 'good' leg. I rested as much as possible and a few days on it does feel much better. I couldn't climb one step a few days ago and yesterday I made it up the stairs for the first time. Hope and pray it will be the same for you.
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much @bickypeg! Appreciate it and hope yours continues to improve. Tried getting up and doing a few things but it came back in full stabbing form and it's just too strong, that kind of pain that forces you to gasp out loud! It only occurs when standing and then the slightest bend or turn brings it on. Even an upward reach. So it looks like bed for now, left word for my OS. Thanks again!!
 
A long night of pain after a long day of little to no movement yesterday. Surgeons office got back and reassured me (albeit after the fact, would've been helpful to have known before!) that it's fairly common with bone on bone for the Forgotten Hip to start falling apart during recovery and during walking & exercises with newly operated hip. He said take Advil or anything anti inflammatory and "curtail my activities". This came on when I bent down and pet the cat! Guess I curtail cat petting.... But to be fair it was right after exercises...very gentle exercises. Anyways, yesterday's bed rest helped about 30%, the horrible knife stabbing pain is less severe and more manageable, I can actually even walk a little. Was very scared last night. Couldn't move in bed. But got in 5 hrs sleep. Painter coming in a few so praying this groin knife episode will become but a memory ...very fast!
 
Oh dear. My heart goes out to you FirstSurgery.. About the anti-inflammatory--doesn't that inhibit new bone growth? I hope Josephine weighs in on this. We have to consult her as well as our OSs.
 
Yes, I saw that @An54 about Advil but I think in this case it's just to get the pain down enough so I can move and walk. Have pre op dr next week so I will need to be out of the bed! I would only take a very few most likely. I'm very med-light! Thanks for your caring, hugs!
 
Haven't you been talking about returning to work just one month after your September surgery? Can you delegate? Spend a longer time healing?
 
No @An54, sadly I can't have anyone fill in and the dates were committed to a long while ago, I'm pretty stuck but if things are really difficult or bad, ( which they won't be!...) I can cancel at the last minute due to emergency. I should be ok though. PS: Brief confusion on your thread but I figured it out....it seems some of my postings there were moved over here at some point, which is fine, just wasn't aware of if and momentarily thought I was losing my mind!! :)
Thankfully I found most of them placed here. Mind intact!!
 
Thanks @Jaycey, I'm just beyond ecstatic that the killer-knife-stabbing pain has calmed down even more as the day goes on....I'm practically floating on air! But if the OS recommends Advil, I'm sure a few doses won't deter my little bone growing team too badly. They are stubbornly determined, those bone-growers, so I've heard!

Have to say though, for the record, 36 HRS OF SERIOUS REST <--- was all it took to get that nasty fierce sword cutting pain to subside!! REST works, that is, if we have exacerbated some already decrepit body part..! REST works!! Up till 3:30 am trying to find a comfy sleep position but I managed 5 hrs sleep before the surgeon called.
I think all hippies can agree... Nothing better than pain relief! :loveshwr:

:bath::ice::sleep::yawn:

REST IS GOOD!
The OCC approves this message ^
 
Last edited:
Rest is BLUE for me, @An54....as in endless stretches of ocean and expanses of country skies (not so much LA skies...) and...and.... blue herons!! :) The REST protocol is working miracles here meanwhile . I'm really pleased to see how fast the pain is correcting.

I have a painter outside now on a 28 ft ladder planted in a steep downslope of dirt ...and am keenly listening for any sounds out there that don't belong .... This guy is fearless. As the OCC chairperson I am thinking he is not being nearly cautious enough, and needs to be scolded. After his painting is done.
 
As Day 2 of Serious REST Protocol winds down, things are even better than expected. Walking is almost back to where it was before the reckless, over-reaching act of ...petting my kitty!! Who'd think a little bend to pet a cat (preceded by a few simple exercises) - could evoke so much pain? On the things to be grateful for scale...I'm very happy that the pain was in the rusted half of the hip arena, and the shiny new half is still happy and humming along wonderfully.

But wow, what a difference a day makes! (Or two) I supervised the painting work today, both on and off cane, and it went seamlessly. Tomorrow is the electrician. I am declaring this thing healed, as of tonight. :egypdance:

Thanks for your kind words fellow hippies, they really do help ease the pain!
 
A long night of pain after a long day of little to no movement yesterday. Surgeons office got back and reassured me (albeit after the fact, would've been helpful to have known before!) that it's fairly common with bone on bone for the Forgotten Hip to start falling apart during recovery and during walking & exercises with newly operated hip. He said take Advil or anything anti inflammatory and "curtail my activities". This came on when I bent down and pet the cat! Guess I curtail cat petting.... But to be fair it was right after exercises...very gentle exercises. Anyways, yesterday's bed rest helped about 30%, the horrible knife stabbing pain is less severe and more manageable, I can actually even walk a little. Was very scared last night. Couldn't move in bed. But got in 5 hrs sleep. Painter coming in a few so praying this groin knife episode will become but a memory ...very fast!
So pleased you're a little better. I was too optimistic about my recovery. 4 weeks anniversary and I feel much worse!Bed is a torment as I can't get comfy mainly because unoperated leg is so painful particularly knee and shoulder. Husband said sleep on my side but a tentative try on both sides was scarily uncomfortable. Ice doesnt help although the hot shower on my shoulder was bliss.Have started waking only 2 hours after going to bed and that's when the dark thoughts start. I was so happy 2 days ago when I made it upstairs and had a shower! Have been very lazy apart from walks round the house which are fine and stop ankle and foot swelling too much. Had a day without codeine which didn't help but is this just masking pain I should be aware of? And it doesn't really help the knee pain. Also people keep telling me of the dangers of being addicted to it. Wish I could take anti inflammatories which I'm sure would help much more than paracetamol but they're ruled out because of still being on anti coagulants. Moan moan moan but I have to put a brave face on for my 4 lovely grown up boys as they all worry about me so the forum is great for complaining. Was looking forward to doing a bit of baby minding in the autumn but at present I can't see that happening. And with waiting lists as they are I can't see my 'good' hip being sorted anytime soon.Oh woe is me!
 
Bickypeg, So sorry that hear about your discomfort. I am wondering if your bed is soft enough to allow you to get comfortable . Many mattresses these days are so firm . I laid a thick soft mattress topper ( doubled) over my sleeping surface, and I found the extra softness yields nicely to my body, supporting me all around. ( along with strategically placed pillows) —a bit like being in a nest . If that makes any sense .
 
Last edited:
Thanks @bickypeg, I'm very pleased with how much a day or two of pure resting can accomplish. But I'm sorry to hear of your troubles! It took me so many attempts to resolve the pillow puzzle layout to get just the right combo. You have to experiment and move them around, even mid sleep I still am shoving one lower or more left to change the pattern.

But in general, don't ever think you're "lazy"!! My goodness, girl-- what your body just went through?! And not so long ago I might add. You are in nascent stages of recovering your biggest bones that were broken into, saw, jammed, rammed and remodeled from the ground up! You're in recovery....nothing to do with lazy!

You will find I think that a bad Tuesday can easily be followed up by a stunning Thursday. It's way up down and all around. Autumn is far enough away that you can't predict how you'll be. But chances are very strong you're going upward from here so hang on and try to relax into the weird rhythms of recovery.

I use a topical cream for pain on the bad evil twin leg. Called Topricin. Even if it's just placebo effect, works for me. Nothing fully eliminates bad OA pain but it softens it - so I apply it before bed and then take liquid sublingual melatonin 10mg to sleep well. Plus an extra magnesium at night if I'm stressed. Like last night. Super stressed and hurting.

Hope you sleep well tonight!
 
Thank you for that! Lovely and reassuring! And what a depressing little post mine was! But you're quite right. I gave in and had another codeine, had a very early breakfast and finally fell fast asleep after dumping a few pillows and getting the neck pillow in an unusual but comfy position. Things seem so bleak when it's dark don't they! People have been warning me about coming off codeine including the GP but the article on here was reassuring. I can't heal if I don't sleep and on one or two a day I think I'm safe.
I'll look out for the Topricin which might be called something else. I've tried Radian B spray a few times and it does help a bit. Also wondered if as ice didn't help whether a heat pad might be comforting.I remember sister who visits US a lot saying melatonin was good. I've not being taken my vitamins so perhaps return to them too. I'll try to be more sensible but last night I was thinking not only the other hip needed fixing but also both knees and was getting in a right state!
An54 - I got a new memory foam mattress which does make me feel as though I'm trapped sometimes? But everyone swears by them.
Thanks again. You're the best!
 
Hope today finds you better.
The months before my surgery I had a heating pad on my hips constantly.
Didn't help except for when I had it on but was soothing...poor 1st Surgery...maybe Ice on one, heat on the other.:good-bad:
Body will be so confused!

Healing hugs!:hugzz:
 
Dear @1stSurgery Hippie Sister, I tried to PM you through this system, but the message wouldn't send, so this public message is the best I can do.

....You will find I think that a bad Tuesday can easily be followed up by a stunning Thursday....

I'm hoping this 'in-between Wednesday' will segue into a humour-filled Thursday, but unsure which direction to aim my penguin-waddling steps. The social room? Limerick thread?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom