Bilateral TKR 19 March 2014 / Hiking the Recovery Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 1/2 hrs?! Wow! That will be a workout! Isn't it amazing how much we have to relearn? We have compensated for pain and discomfort for so long we don't remember what normal is! Hope it goes well :)
 
Tomel- I hope you have a blessed day today in your healing journey.:) Rest, ice and rest some more. PT is fine, but give those poor war ravaged knees a break as well! Take care!
 
Today's update:

They did a great job of splitting the sessions into AM and PM, there was time for ice and rest and the activities varied from upper body to leg exercises. There was never any excessive force used, it was all based on my ability. Pain management is spot on, by the clock. Tomorrow is my staff review and that will give an estimate of how long I might be here.

There is no question that PT followed by rest, ice and elevation followed by more ice, rest and elevation is the best. I agree that you are no longer in control, your body is! I am fortunate that the rest of my life is being taken care of and all I have to do is heal. More to come later----nap time :sleep:now. Tom
 
So happy for you @Tomel !! Looks like you will have a great recovery like I am!!! The best to you!!!
 
Great job on recovery, @Tomel ! Sounds like you are putting to use all the knowledge we gain in this forum:thumb:. I hope I do as well as you and @suzzee2000 and the other inspirational people here!
 
Congratulations @Tomel, on all the naps you are working into your day. I was the same way. They were wonderful! No more narcotics for me so I haven't been sleeping as well. I hope you continue to have a successful recovery!
 
Hi @BigBend

You are soooo right on following the BoneSmart way. The inpatient re-hab hospital that I was at was right on target with it. PT that is demanding can still be gentle. Every day you will notice some small improvement, maybe even a little set back on occasion, but it so much better than before. There is no doubt that going BTKR was the best decision for me.

Sound like you are also reading a lot and plan to follow the BS way. I'll be thinking of you next week and sending Prayers for your recovery. I'm by no means an expert, I'm also still learning too. Stop by if you have a question or just need encouragement.

You can also check out my post on Big Tuna's thread that I posted a few days ago, it may have some helpful tidbits. Tom
 
Thanks, @Tomel for your help and encouragement.....how are you doing? Sleep, ice, elevate, drink coffee.....:cheers2:....and recover!
 
Hi @BigBend

Felt pretty good today. I contribute that to my wife's wonderful cooking! We have also fine tuned a few details here at home so that I can be a little more self sufficient. With the temperature in the 50's, I was able to take a short walk outside and visit with the neighbors before my nap. Boy, does that lift one's spirits. Anyways, thanks for stopping by. Soon you will also be enjoying your summer with new knees. Tom
 
Temps in the 50's in Chicago? I bet you are loving that! I was born and raised in Iowa and I remember those first warm days after a long and cold winter. It makes you feel alive!
I'm so happy that your hospital stay and rehab stay were so good! There are so many people that tell us things that happened in the hospital that are events straight out of a nightmare! Mean nurses, nurses withholding pain meds or accusing you of being a drug seeker, torturous PT experiences........the list is long. Sounds like your experience was great. That is so good to hear. BTKR is a major surgery and you deserve all the best.
Best wishes for continued recovery w/ no setbacks! Congratulations!!
 
Hi @beth1954

Thanks for stopping by and the get well wishes. I know this Midwestern weather and I'm sure winter isn't done with us just yet.


There are so many people that tell us things that happened in the hospital that are events straight out of a nightmare! Mean nurses, nurses withholding pain meds or accusing you of being a drug seeker, torturous PT experiences........the list is long

I too have heard the stories. My OS was quick to point out the difference between nursing home rehab and inpatient hospital rehab. He didn't get pushy on any one place in particular, but suggested doing my homework ahead of time and maybe visiting them before hand. After all, we research our surgeons why not our recovery care? I believe it should be a package deal.

Hope you are doing better after your MUA. Tom
 
@Tomel sure is good to open BS and find you doing so well! Such a good feeling to know there are others out there who are doing extremely well!!! :ok:You said your wife's good cooking is helping!! Well my husbands good cooking is really helping me too!!! We used to own a restaurant and let me tell you this guy is an amazing cook!! :happydance:
I am settling in pretty good now. My bed is comfy!! I can sleep on my side for a little bit. I find I don't have to be on my ice machine 24/7 and generally am feeling fantastic!!! I am really looking forward to my OS visit this week! OH how I wish he would release me to drive!!! I need to go to school next week!!!! BUT I will do what I have to to recover right!!! Anyway just wanted to stop by and say hello and wish you well!!! :friends:
 
Hi @suzzee2000

Sounds like we both struck gold in the cook department! I was teasing her after dinner last night about how my recovery may "have to take a little longer that originally anticipated". Although I did cook pancakes for us this morning.

Happy to hear your recover is on schedule.

Hope our upper 60 degree day makes it your way tomorrow. Tom
 
Hi @Tomel thats funny!!! She is having fun feeding you I just betcha!!! :)I have not cooked dinner since I've been home. I've cooked for the kids after school but my husband and daughter take care of the dinner part!! Feels great too! Keep on going you are doing great!!!!
 
@Tomel & @suzzee2000 , you both seem to be doing very well! Man Tom, there is no way I could have stood long enough to do pancakes just after two from sx!! You rock!! Suzanne I started driving short trips after 4 weeks now I am driving further and longer. I am also back to working 2 days per week! I think we are gonna make it!!!!
 
@2014knees YES!!!! :yes!: we are going to make it!! And great for you doing so fantastic!!! @Tomel we need an update friend!!! :yes:
 
Hi All,

Not a whole lot to report. Pt is going good, at each session they add a new exercise. Extensions were 0 and 1 with flex at about 115 on both. I feel a little stronger each day although resting still is a priority. I've been able to get back into the kitchen a little more, especially for breakfast. That is really good therapy actually, besides I can stay closer to the coffee maker that way. Next Friday is my OS check-up to see if everthing is on track. My personal goal is to be off the hydrocodone by then.
@suzzee2000 I would expect going back to your studies brings with it a feeling of having turned the corner to having your life back.. Hopefully your can get caught up fast and not doze off in class.:heehee: Tom
 
Tom , you are doing great ! Keep it up . Your numbers are great. Can your wife teach my GF to cook ! And clean ?????? Remember just because you can do something , doesnt mean you have to do it. Doesnt take much to over do it ! Trust me . Best wishes iceman
 
I agree that you are no longer in control, your body is!
How very, very true! LEt those knees take charge and you just go along for the ride.
Pt is going good, at each session they add a new exercise. Extensions were 0 and 1 with flex at about 115 on both. I feel a little stronger each day although resting still is a priority
You are doing great! Those new knees will really allow you to enjoy the summer and all of its beauty!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom