Bilateral TKR 19 March 2014 / Hiking the Recovery Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tomel :happydance: CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So happy you posted to let us know you are ok!!! I am now into my 10th day and am doing really great! Just keep working it and it will be just fine! Yes as others have said we are here for you!!!!!:cheers:
REST and we will talk to you later!!!!
 
Hi Friends,
All went very well yesterday. I was too sleepy to post last night and they have kept me busy this morning. First PT was at 9:15 today. Just getting up and a little stroll around the room then back to bed. They like slow and easy and so do I. Thanks to all of you, I could feel all the warm wishes pulling me along.. Hard to stay awake so I'll be back after a nap. Tom

Congratulations Tom on your new knee…. Glad your Surgery when well ...
 
Hi All you wonderful and caring people,

Just a quick update before my nap.. Last night was a little rough after PT. Seen my OS this morning and he stepped up the meds a notch. Had two more PTs today and I can already feel an improvement.. Looks like I am next on the list to go to inpatient rehab.. Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning.. I would like to type more,but it's time for a nap. Take care, Tom
 
awwwww @Tomel I agree with @BigBend :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
Get all the rest you can and we will see you again soon!!!!
Thanks for the update!!!
 
Hi Friends,

Re-hab here at Marianjoy is kind, gentle, and a great work out. ROM is at almost 0 - 95 for both. Boy! now I know about the fatigue everyone talks about. Next Tuesday is my evaluation and they will estimate how long I'll be here. Oh by the way Sunday is a "day off". You know Church, visiting with family and friends. So I hope to spend more time here at BS with all of you. tom
 
Congratulations on your new knees!!!! Hope you have a smooth recovery!!!!
 
Really looking forward to your next update, @Tomel. I hope all your visitors on your "day off" don't wear you out!:ok:
 
It's about 5am on my day off and I have already started in bed stretching exercises and breathing with the Voldyne devise. Legs are kind of stiff but not a lot of pain. Loosening them up actually feels good if you can believe that. The staff here says I'm am doing very good and they are always have words of encouragement for me. Coming directly home would have been a mistake with a bilat. Here there is a whole support team keeping me from getting hurt and making sure all my needs are met.

Yesterday my wife attend PT with me and she also learned a lot of how to assist with PT at home. They even have classes that she can go to. After my pm nap I was able to sit up in the chair and we had dinner together. We just kicked back and talked. It was one of those moments that made me feel like I have started to turn the corner, even it was only a little, it felt great!

Well staff is here, so back to work.
Thank all of you! I couldn't have done this alone. Tom
 
Coming directly home would have been a mistake with a bilat. Here there is a whole support team keeping me from getting hurt and making sure all my needs are met.

@Tomel I know exactly what you mean!!!! I didn't KNOW how much I needed the rehabilitation too!!!!!!
GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!:yay::yay::yay:
 
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I have been leaning towards going to rehab myself instead of coming home and your comments are making me feel that is the better option.
 
Fantastic news Tom! Glad to know that it was a smooth trip to the other side. Now it's one step at a time toward your new life!
 
Hi all,

Things I've learned that work well:
I got a sever case of dry mouth from the meds, even though I was drinking plenty of water. Site Dr. gave me a cream to use. It helped somewhat but had to be used often which is not always convenient. Besides it tasted like Vasoline, yum! My wife brought a product that the Dr. approved and it works quit well. It is mouth moisturizing SPRAY. It also comes in a mouth wash. It is made by BIOTENE and has a pleasant minty flavor. Just 2 or 3 sprays as needed. My bride came to my rescue again! Tom
 
That's a great update. Sounds like the wife is very supportive. Ifs she willing , have her watch and learn some of the stretching and massaging techniques, along with helping with knee bends .It will help you when you get home and back to the real world. You are not gonna have that staff at your house. Its a long , lonely recovery at times and would be great if your wife knew how to help, ice and loosen up your knees and massage your calves and thighs. Just a thought ! Keep up the great work . Iceman
 
Sounds like things are going well for you. :)
 
You sound like you are just progressing along just fine. Very good. Having your wife learn all she can will make going home easier. She will know how to help you move along. It avoids the old " I know you hurt but I don't know what to do to help!"

Just keep up the montraes when ever you can. :friends:
 
Hi All,

Just a quick up date before my pre PT nap. I've been up since 4"30 and have done my stretches and morning routine. Pain was high last evening, but under control now. I'm scheduled for 3 1/2 hours of pt activities today, one is called; Wing 3E group standing. I guess even that has to be practiced and learned again. Thanks to all for checking in, I'll try to post more as time and sleeping will allow. tom
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom