Bilateral TKR 19 March 2014 / Hiking the Recovery Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @icep707 How's it going? I've followed some of your post and sounds like you are well on your way. I remember we talked early on how important exercise was pre-op. There is no question muscle has memory. And especially for the BTKR's to do upper body as well. As for the cooking man, I think it's something in a person's DNA. Either your born with the cooking gene or you get the McDonald's gene. Sorry!

You know @referee54 for the first time in my life I'm really OK with letting my knees take charge. It's kind of nice not having to make that decision to either write out those thank you cards or take a nap. Knees say take the nap, so I take the nap!!!

OH, By the way Tim, I recall how you promised @suzzee2000 and me the secret wooie wooie BTKR club hand shake!!! I hope there isn't a membership fee also, as I'm a little short this week.

Tom
 
@referee54 , I get the secret bilateral handshake, too! Pay up! @Tomel , sounds like things are progressing well for you. I can stand to brush my teeth, but I'm a long way away from being able to make pancakes! Eh, I don't have the cooking gene, anyway!

Keep up the excellent progress!
 
OH, By the way Tim, I recall how you promised @suzzee2000 and me the secret wooie wooie BTKR club hand shake!!! I hope there isn't a membership fee also, as I'm a little short this week.
:heehee: :heehee:

@Tomel always so happy to see your uplifting posts and great recovery!!! I agree with you on letting our knees control our day! It feels good to take a nap and not feel guilty!!!! :thumb:
 
@suzzee2000 Here I thought I was letting MY knees control me and then found your post on the skating rink party! Good thing you guys didn't get pulled over and have to explain that scene to the Officer of the Law. I'm still laughing. Got to do what you got do!
 
@Tomel :rofsign:at your officer joke!!! I thought about it too as I looked out the back window!!!!!:heehee:
 
Four week out! Woo Hoo!!!!
Hard to believe that much time has past already. Progress is steady, but some days the "kids" remind me that I'm still in recovery mode. The right "problem child" lags behind the left just as it was before surgery. My PT is always raising the bar a little at each visit. Today I was there for 90 minutes, but I'm feeling stronger. ROM was: right-- 0 and 119 passive and left was-- +2 and 121. She was able to get a little more in active mode on the flex, but there is still time in the weeks to come.

Driving feels natural again. Last week it just seemed a little weird somehow. Saturday I went to my wife's 10K run to cheer her and our friends on. Although I cannot run it was great being there with all the excitement and all total I walked at least half mile. Must admit though that I was tired out by the time my afternoon nap came along.

Another mile stone was Monday as my OS released me to go back to working out at the gym. I've lost a lot of upper body strength in the past four weeks also. Lesson learned from in the past is to start back slowlyyyyyy!
It did feel good to start regaining some normalcy and visit with several friends who were also there. That is therapy in it's self.

The weather here in north-central Illinois has again proven that Mother Nature is in charge. We've had upper 70's on Saturday and woke up to an inch and a half of snow Tuesday morning. Between Mother nature and the "new kids" I'm realizing we are just along for the ride.

Hi to all who have given to me all your encouragement and support. Best wishes to all who are now also in recovery. Tom
 
How wonderful to see you update your recovery thread - and with such a good report! Even if the "kids" act up now and then, you have moved into the driver's seat!!!! You can have certainty that it is all going to be OK and that you will be living a normal life. It has gotta feel good.:yes!::egypdance::spin:
It is a little hard for me to imagine I can be in two weeks where you are now. But I use you as inspiration that if I work smart enough and hard enough, I'll get there, too! Excellent progress, @Tomel You should be very proud of yourself. I am, of you!
 
Such a warm reply! Thank You!

I'm a long way from normal, but we are all on our way. You are right, I'm guilty as charged about not posting my updates as often as I should. I seem to spend most of my BS time checking in on everyone else. Will try and correct that in the future.

From reading the other threads here, I was probably not as badly off as some of the others. That may explain why I'm a little ahead how.

However it was in the last 3 or 4 months before surgery things really started to head down hill fast. The final straw was just before Christmas my wife and I decided to spend a weekend downtown in Chicago. We took the train in and planned to stroll around the loop taking in the displays and sound of the big city at holiday time. A nice romantic dinner and maybe even a show. Well, the old arthritic knees had me begging for mercy in no time. That is when I said I want my life back. You can bet next Christmas we will be back to do it again. Only next time I'm bringing the new "kids" along.

Take care, you're awesome! Tom
 
No doubt , this Christmas will be the best in years. You , Suzy and Big Bend are all doing astonishing. Way to set the bar ! 4 weeks go so fast . Im heading into week 10 . Couldnt be happier, however I tend to do too much at the gym , resulting in waking up wondering what the heck happened to my knee. Than remembering my activities earlier in the day . Nothing major but just a reminder. Over the next month things will get better, but remember you guys are way early into recovery. Elevation and ice with proper pain management still apply . Best wishes Iceman
 
Hey Ice, @icep707

Thanks for stopping by. You can believe it when I say that my jell packs are still two of my best friends. Even though the numbers are good, there is still often times of pain and stiffness from the quads down to my feet. Although I keep doing both PT and the gym, it is gentle and no where near what I used to do. I'm glad that you brought it up though, so that I hope not to have given the impression that I'll be Dancing with the Stars next week or something like that.
Have also been following your thread and your doing remarkable. Keep thinking of the great rides you'll have this summer. Tom
 
You are doing so well - lucky you! My surgery was only a day after yours but I've had a tougher time. I am making progress, though, so I won't complain. In a year we will all be new people!
 
@Tomel with your great attitude it's no wonder you are doing so well!!!!

I hope not to have given the impression that I'll be Dancing with the Stars next week or something like that.
:heehee: That's good!!!
 
Hi All,

Today was my six week check up. Ex-rays and examine all went great. Rom is 0 and 128 in both and very little swelling. Was cautioned to not over do it and to listen to what the "new kids" are telling me. So, after a very long commute I came home and took a nice two hour nap. Just following Doctor's orders.
I was also happy to have been told to continue with the Norco as needed. At this point I'm taking only 2 to 4 a day, usually late afternoon and evening based on how active I am during the day.

@suzzee2000 You are right about how a "great attitude" can help with recovery. Every morning when I wake up, I realize how fortunate I am (we all) are to have been given this new life. Through the God given miracle of modern medicine we now can live out our lives free of the debilitating pain that crippled us at such an early age. Through the gift of this Forum, we were able to lean on each other to ease our fears before surgery and get us through the bumps of recovery. I look forward to each new day now. I was even able to make it all the way through the grocery store with out thinking of my knees. So, after that I went to the hardware store too. That used to be the most difficult one because it took so much longer. You know, it's a guy thing!

Next check up is in four months. I promise to update here before then.:) Tom
 
[Bonesmart.org] 19 March 2014 / Hiking the Recovery Trail
@Tomel!!!! Great update---so happy that things are going so well for you. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself. We care.
 
I'm jealous! 0 and 128! You are doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great OS visit and numbers! Good for you!!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I loved what you had to say and it's a good reminder to all of us to focus on the positives and how lucky we are to live in a time where these types of surgeries are possible. :thankyou:
 
Today was my six week check up. Ex-rays and examine all went great. Rom is 0 and 128 in both and very little swelling.
That is AMAZING!!!! I am so happy for you Tom!!!:wowspring:

Through the God given miracle of modern medicine we now can live out our lives free of the debilitating pain that crippled us at such an early age.
A great big AMEN to that!!!:yes!: I too am a very thankful person who knows where the blessings come from!!!
 
Great report, Tom!! I love reading your uplifting and encouraging remarks. And you always give me something to aim for in my own recovery.:loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom