THR 18 months and still in pain

You have it!
Perfect.
I'm certainly glad you got that cyst taken care of.
My daughter had one rupture and she thought she was dying it was so painful.
Hopefully after that release next week, you will be on the upswing.

Hope today is a Good Day
 
Yay, @Belladonna! You mastered the quoting feature. I knew you would.
Sorry you had to undergo an additional procedure as you await the next.
When it rains it pours, or so it seems.
Hopefully you will soon have all the poking and prodding in the rear view and the ability to move forward
without pain. Wishing you comfort for today and as you await the 30th.
 
@Mojo333
The cyst removal was not painful at first but as the healing days go by it feels uncomfortable. I rescheduled the hip surgery to June 14. My niece is coming to visit from Canada and I need to laugh! I also am not liking all this anesthesia! Causes memory loss for me.

@Layla
You guys have been my rock and cheerleaders!

@Sunnyhippy I know removing a bursa does sound scary. Especially since they are ordering all this equipment for my recovery. An automatic ice machine, another that keeps my leg in motion and crutches. I gave a hard time with feet!
 
Laughing...good!
Getting rid of cyst..good!
Don't get antsy about next weeks small surgery.
You are bionic...you've got this.:roseshwr:
 
Hi :hi:
Glad you'll be able to enjoy time with your sister before your surgery.
Wondering exactly what your OS is calling your surgery so we can add it to your signature along with the
revised date of June 14th. Let us know and we'll add it.
I hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!
@Belladonna
 
Lots going on with you @Belladonna but it’s good to get everything fixed now. In a couple weeks after last procedure, you’ll be good as new and ready to finally move on with your life pain free. Sending healing wishes your way :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@Belladonna, so you will be having surgery soon to release your psoas and remove the trochanteric bursa. Hope this will give you lasting relief. I had a trochanteric bursectomy along with my gluteal tendon repair and exploratory surgery 15 months after my THR. After the initial surgical pain-relief wore off for this second surgery, I only needed acetaminophen for pain-relief, which was a completely different story from after my THR. Hopefully you will find it much easier to recover from this surgery.

Was the injection that you just had a cortisone shot? I only ask because it is my understanding that most surgeons require a wait of at least 3 months for joint replacement surgery following a cortisone injection, due to the fact that there is an increase in the possibility of infection if you do the surgery sooner than that. Whether or not the risk is also increased for non-joint replacement surgery in the hip, I do not know. Here us a link to an abstract of a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27221820
 
@Krista, thank you for the encouragement. Part of me wants to just go on with my life and not do any more surgery. It is so hard on me emotionally and physically! But I I know I will regret it if I don’t. This is the 3rd summer I will miss! What kind of restrictions do you have with this surgery?

@ GrannyC. Thank you!

@Layla, it’s called Endoscopic Trochanteric Bursectomy and Iliotibial Band Release
 
I can do imagine you are tired of surgery recoveries:sad:
But you can't live in pain if there is a fix...
Good for you for moving forward.
I'm going to pray this is your last one and that next summer will be YOURS!
Keep the faith @Belladonna :yes:
 
@Belladonna, since my bursectomy was combined with gluteal tendon repair, I can't say from experience which restrictions are required just for trochanteric bursectomy. The article that I have linked below does say "After an arthroscopic trochanteric bursectomy, patients are allowed progressive weight bearing as tolerated with gentle active and passive range of motion for 2 weeks, followed by progression to full activity by 4 to 6 weeks." Restrictions are different if surgery is combined with any other procedure. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5310191/, titled "Endoscopic Trochanteric Bursectomy and Iliotibial Band Release for Persistent Trochanteric Bursitis."

I get your reluctance for more surgery, but not having it means that you continue to be in terrible pain which severely impacts your life negatively. I am very glad I chose to go ahead with another operation after THR. It has made a huge positive difference for me. Wishing you all the best!
 
There is a drug called Versed which causes memory loss which many people want during surgery. For some folks, and I am one of them, it causes extended memory loss---once for almost three days. I tell the anethesiologist that I do not want Versed because it causes extended memory loss. They just give me something else. I do remember going into the operating room, but then I am put out completely. When I awaken, I can remember going into the room and then wake up to no bad memories, but also no memory loss.
 
You are all going to think I am crazy but I am not having more surgery. I have to get my life past all this. My family doctor said removing your bursa could mean chronic pain. I don’t think removing parts from our bodies is a good idea or God’s design. I am going to get stronger my way and with God’s guidance. I’m done!
 
Whether we have surgery or not is a personal decision only we can make for ourselves. I hope you make the decision that brings you the most peace and comfort.
 
Hi :wave:
That's certainly your choice, Belladonna.
It sounds like you've done some research and made a decision.
You can also take comfort in knowing the option will still be available, should you change your mind.
Prayers you soon find relief from your pain.
Hope today is good!
@Belladonna
 
@Layla you have walked with me and know this has been a long road. I just want to get on with my life.
 
Your concern is valid on having additional procedures. Orthos are put in a tough spot they need to resolve the patients pain so after exhausting the protocol, surgery becomes the last resort.

I would suggest to find an ortho with extensive knowledge of soft tissue around the hip. I have an issue similar yours and my OS only X-rays and uses MRIs, all looked good. The chronic pain and weakness continued. I went to a local ortho, he is a sports medicine ortho that's specializes in soft tissue injuries. He did a complete sonogram of my hip and found a disruption in the glute medius tendon. He injected it with cortisone and I just started basic balance excersises on the wobble board. After two days I was surprised my lateral hip pain reduced and my psoas pain as well. It felt like my hip was trying to function as it should.

I believe my glute medius muscle was completely shut down. This caused an overactive pattern in all my other muscles, adductors, hamstrings and hip flexor. Once it started firing my balance started improving as well. Also, the glute medius is a difficult muscle to gauge for strength.

I was surprised how much disfunction these muscles can cause when not working properly. Replacing the joint is just one piece of the puzzle. Hope this helps.

Larry
 
Happy Monday...
I know it's been a long journey, Belladonna and I do sympathize with you. I don't like the thought of anyone suffering pain and after what most of us experienced, we learned firsthand the misery of chronic pain.
It can ruin your day and steal your joy at its worst. I hope you can find relief in a way other than surgery or long term use of pharmaceuticals. Best of luck as you move forward. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Wishing you comfort...
@Belladonna
 
@Belladonna
I can understand exactly. Had my shot last Tues it has seemed to help but my aches are not gone. I will see OS soon but I also am done let's see how my hip adjusts its not even 1 year. Keep us posted
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom