TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sleenie. I was also anemic for about four months. The iron also killed my stomach. I ended up taking a product I found on amazon MegaFood Blood Builder. It is made from beet roots. It may have taken longer to get rid of the anemia than regular iron pills but it did not bother my stomach at all! You should check with your doctor though most do not endorse products like this. Feel better!
 
I would think it would take a few months to come back from anemia but @Josephine would know better.
 
Yep. . This is where I have to have a lot of patience. As you know, my recovery has been very successful. So I can do at this stage Lots of things that others in the same boat, unfortunately, are slower than I. But, the anemia and energy drain are preventing me from doing what physically I think, hope, etc. That I'm able to do. So, I do the ice , elevate and rest, dreaming of the future.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Yep. . This is where I have to have a lot of patience. As you know, my recovery has been very successful. So I can do at this stage Lots of things that others in the same boat, unfortunately, are slower than I. But, the anemia and energy drain are preventing me from doing what physically I think, hope, etc. That I'm able to do. So, I do the ice , elevate and rest, dreaming of the future.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So glad to know I'm not the only anemic one. Today I did go shopping though using the automated cart. Felt like I was at least being productive although I was exhausted by the time I got home. Then PT and now time for a short nap.

I am feeling better and a little stronger, so I guess there is hope.
 
Yep, the beat goes on. I was looking forward to going to my friend's birthday party tonight and actually made a bunch of English toffee for the occasion. But I feel sick, exhausted and my abdomen is doing flips so I just got off the phone with my regrets. ::patience::

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I know in my mind it is normal, but I hate it. Lol. I guess it is just different for me, as I'm normally upbeat.
Oh? and why are you different? YOu think the rest of us enjoy being fatigued and not bright and bonny like we normally are? Not meaning to be picky at you, just giving you a reality check - it's not different for you. It's just the same for the rest of us!
My pains or aches are just so strange to me. Very seldom my knees. Primarily my ankles. Just achy and feel like a band is around them.
Welcome to the club! "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee. Are you taking pain meds for this? As it is a type of pain, you know!
I do have a question though. I had to have 2 transfusions after surgery and have been on iron pills twice a day ever since. Is this normal one month after surgery?
No it's not normal but then it's also possible the be anaemic without it being associated with your knees.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you that you are only 4½ weeks. I think you should go back and read the recovery articles Jamie left for you in post #2 of this thread. I trust you did actually read them? Everything you are describing is perfectly normal for that stage in a bilateralknee replacement. You should be making a fuss of yourself and allowing your body to recover from this incredibly major surgery instead of feeling that this process has been sent just to give you grief!

I'm currently enjoying listening to Sting's latest CD, "The Last Ship".
In it is a song which carried the words

Our mission is more than a struggle for breath,
For a few extra rounds in a fight to the death.
When our mission is love, and compassion and grace,
It's not a test of endurance, or a marathon race.

Worth thinking about!

Take it easy on yourself, my dear. When you think about it, there's actually not a lot else you can do! :wink:
 
Yep, the beat goes on. I was looking forward to going to my friend's birthday party tonight and actually made a bunch of English toffee for the occasion. But I feel sick, exhausted and my abdomen is doing flips so I just got off the phone with my regrets. ::patience::

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I had to cancel out on a BBQ tonight. Like you, my stomach is doing flip flops. I don't have the energy to cook much though it is getting better. Last bowl of chili tonight. Hope to cook steak tomorrow as I have been craving it. Plus if I'm up to it, a small cheesecake.

I guess strength will come and I will just have to be patient. What are you taking for the anemia?
 
I guess strength will come and I will just have to be patient.
This is what it is all about. Patience and setting priorities.

I don't have the energy to cook much though it is getting better.
You have to set aside what you want to do and replace it with what you need to do---which is to totally recover.

The BBQ's will be so much more enjoyable when you are pain-free and fully recovered.
 
Halfway through the night with only ingesting water and I'm feeling better. It's not a diet that I want to stay on, but it's better than feeling sick.
I'm taking iron twice a day along with colace (which I think I'll skip until my intestines get more settled. )

I've dropped 22 pounds since surgery so that at least is a very good thing to me in all sorts of ways.

My daughter, tonight, is taking us out to Mexican for Mother's day and my stomach is dreading it. Perhaps my digestive system and knees should discuss this for a while?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Halfway through the night with only ingesting water and I'm feeling better. It's not a diet that I want to stay on, but it's better than feeling sick.
I'm taking iron twice a day along with colace (which I think I'll skip until my intestines get more settled. )

I've dropped 22 pounds since surgery so that at least is a very good thing to me in all sorts of ways.

My daughter, tonight, is taking us out to Mexican for Mother's day and my stomach is dreading it. Perhaps my digestive system and knees should discuss this for a while?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Weight loss for me has been good also, but it has stabilized now. Can't afford to lose much more. (Never thought I'd say that)

I hope your stomach is feeling better by dinner. Especially for Mexican food. (My favorite) I guess we just have to look forward to it getting better as we improve. And I'm impatient, been almost 5 weeks and I'm ready. But my body isn't.

I did order a cane and am ready to dump the walker soon. Just have to be sure I have the leg strength. Big order of the day is doing my dishes. Not many but no dishwasher. So it requires standing which I guess will be good for me.

Hope you feel better as the day progresses.
 
I found that in the kitchen I pull one of the island stools with me to sit and still be able to cook. If you have any kind of high stool you might want to make use of it.
Oh, my daughter (PT) says when you're standing, do a little "wiggle dance" bending one knee then the other. They don't like it at all at this point not moving from one position to another so this will extend your cooking time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Oh? and why are you different? YOu think the rest of us enjoy being fatigued and not bright and bonny like we normally are? Not meaning to be picky at you, just giving you a reality check - it's not different for you. It's just the same for the rest of us!
Welcome to the club! "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee. Are you taking pain meds for this? As it is a type of pain, you know!

No it's not normal but then it's also possible the be anaemic without it being associated with your knees.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you that you are only 4½ weeks. I think you should go back and read the recovery articles Jamie left for you in post #2 of this thread. I trust you did actually read them? Everything you are describing is perfectly normal for that stage in a bilateralknee replacement. You should be making a fuss of yourself and allowing your body to recover from this incredibly major surgery instead of feeling that this process has been sent just to give you grief!

I'm currently enjoying listening to Sting's latest CD, "The Last Ship".
In it is a song which carried the words

Our mission is more than a struggle for breath,
For a few extra rounds in a fight to the death.
When our mission is love, and compassion and grace,
It's not a test of endurance, or a marathon race.

Worth thinking about!

Take it easy on yourself, my dear. When you think about it, there's actually not a lot else you can do! :wink:
Tree tv

I certainly didn't mean to insult anyone by saying I was different. I was just saying that the moods etc were very different for me as a person. I have read all of the articles several times. And as far as the pain or aches I mentioned as I indicated it was not my knees but my ankles. The tightness around my knees I expected but not the constant one around my ankles. Sorry I brought it up. I take Tylenol regularly on schedule for pain. And I have never been anemic befor which is why I asked.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sleenie,
I have ankle pain too, i think it is from my fascia tightening all the way down my lower leg. I am going to ask my PT to massage those tight tissues today.
 
Made it to 6 wks. Pain has been manageable with just Tylenol. All others seem to cause other issues with me..

PT has been pretty good. My therapist doesn't push too far. Today was a little more strenuous and at end she put some electrode type things on each side of my knees wit enough current (?) to cause some tingling and then ice on top. Suppose to be a great pain reliever. Since I already overdid it before PT not sure how much it helped. I have one spot on the right side of my right knee that seems to stay slightly swollen and painful the PA see t couple of days. Interesting that it's the same place that was painful before the replacement. Tylenol doesn't seem to touch it. Actually, the Voltarin Gel does the best. Hoping I can take an Ambien to sleep and it will be better by AM. And yes I have been icing.

Best part is my strength is returning slowly. I get more and more done each day. Still can't walk the grocery store for a full shopping trip but that's ok. Incisions are looking good and no more muscle spasms. ROM is coming along, Not as fast as I want but it is still getting better.

See my OS on Thursday. And hopefully I will be able to drive soon.
 
Sounds like things are moving along. :friends:Great that the muscle spasms have stopped.
 
6 week followup today. I can start driving short distances next week but not in heavy traffic. That's ok because I just lost my ride to rehab net week. But rehab isn't far away and I can all go the back roads. Definitely an advantage to not being on narcotics anymore and living in a small town.

Things look good and ROM is ok but could be better. After sitting in the car for the 2 hr trip I was a little stiff so next time I think I may go up the night before.

I can start using a little Vitamin E oil and I was surprised that he said I could use a little Neosporin. Just a couple of surface spots that haven't fully healed yet.

He told me that the tight bands around my ankles are just an indication of a small amt of residual swelling that I can't see. Actually that makes sense and It has been slowly getting better.

Sleeping has been better since I got the Ambien. Hopefully I will not need it for long...just needed a few good nights sleep.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well, and starting to drive next week :driver:!
I have a couple of spots that have not healed, looks like they will need another week or two.
 
I really overdid it today. Needed to do some cleaning and wanted to set up my sewing machine since all of my clothes are too big. Think I moved too many things and likely items too heavy. My right leg is really painful now. I'm elevated with ice now hoping that will do the trick. Moving it in general right now is very painful, the worst it has been. That'll teach me. I can feel the pain all the way down the right side of my leg. Never felt this before.

I did drive yesterday a short distance just to see how difficult it was. Stayed on the back roads. Was pleasantly surprised, was easier than I thought. Staying out of town though until after the holiday. This is a tourist town and over this holiday we have over 20,000 Harley's in town. They kind of take over everything.

If this pain does not subside soon, I may take a muscle relaxant also. Haven't had one in 2 weeks. Lots of pain behind the knee. Guess I'll have someone come over and help me finish this tomorrow.
 
Welcome to the ODIC (overdiditclub)!
Same thing happened to me earlier this week.
Follow the Mantra, and you will feel better in the next few days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom