TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knees draw the blood and heat from the rest of my body so that when I sleep, the knees are exposed to the air, my trunk is covered in layers of comforter and I have heavier socks on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Makes sense to me. I sleep with socks but constantly change the number of covers. Right now it's primarily my ankles.

Today is pretty good though. No real pain, hungry and a little more alert. Trying hard to not overdue it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hungry is good and bad. I know I'm recovering well when I'm hungrier, but I lost 20 lbs since surgery and I don't want to be too hungry. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Hungry is good and bad. I know I'm recovering well when I'm hungrier, but I lost 20 lbs since surgery and I don't want to be too hungry. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Believe me, I understand that. I lost 45 lbs since Jan this year and 15 more since the day of surgery. This last 15 left too fast and I'm still losing. At this point I can't afford to lose more. The oxy really took away my appetite. I was lucky to eat 1/2 meal a day. So now I'm eating abt 1.5 meals and that's ok. It helps take jitters I get.
 
Today is pretty good though. No real pain, hungry and a little more alert. Trying hard to not overdue it.
That is smart! Remember that recovery is ve3ry much like a roller coaster ride and, for no good reason, our knee (or knees) decides to get a little feisty and bother us.

Eventually the ups and down become more subtle, and yo are left with only the ups---remember, though, that a TKR or a BTKR recovery often looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
 
For me it was the fact that nothing tasted right and I lost about 10 lbs. Since I have cut back on the pain meds to one oxycodone at bed time and two Aleve during the day my appetite has come back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not a bad night. Ate well last night. (Comparatively) Trying to get motivated to accomplish something today. I really hate this jittery feeling. I'm only on Tylenol and 1/2 Robaxin at night or before PT. I only drink 1/2 cup of coffee right now. Oh well, I'm sure this too will pass. Should be thankful I have very little pain.
 
Never did do anything yesterday. Just wasn't' t motivated. Getting ready to get some chili in the crockpot so I have some easy food to eat.

My pains or aches are just so strange to me. Very seldom my knees. Primarily my ankles. Just achy and feel like a band is around them. I do my ankle stretches which helps a lot. And so does the Voltaren Gel the hospital gave me. Now if I could get past these jitters.

Four weeks ago today I had my surgery. It hasn't' t been as bad as it could have been and other than the spells of muscle spasms, pain has been manageable. Lack of energy has been worse.

I just keep telling myself it will get better. And it will.
 
Well, We'd was not my best day. Went for another cu visit with my PCP. He got concerned any my pulse rate at 125. I explained how fatigued I get after cooking dinner and decided that he needed to verify I didn't have an embolism. So after the blood test was positive, then I needed a cat scan. Thankfully it was negative. Not a fun way to spend my afternoon and early evening. They even had a bed ready and was very surprised when it came back negative. I think my doctors in Taos are very concerned since they don't see bilaterals very often.

I actually feel pretty good. Pain is minimal and I'm on Tylenol only. Still anemic though.ROM isn't where I want it but that will come.. I start outpatient PT on Monday. The best news is no more muscle spasms. Been 4 weeks now since surgery and no more spasms for a week.

Onward in the journey of recovery.
 
Sorry you had a rough day with all those tests, but glad they all came back negative. Sounds like you are on your way to recovery otherwise.:SUNsmile:
 
@sleenie hope tomorrow is better. Have you been reading anything good. I wanted to find a good book. Also I learned croqueting... doing hot pads for nurses n friends. Go fo it... try something new....
 
@sleenie hope tomorrow is better. Have you been reading anything good. I wanted to find a good book. Also I learned croqueting... doing hot pads for nurses n friends. Go fo it... try something new....

I love to read and have any 2000 books on my Kindle but can't seem to get interested in reading right now. I'm making some Christmas gifts with crocheting but lose interest fast. I'm hoping this all changes soon. A side effect I didn't plan on. But things are improving. I'm eating better which will help.

Get released today from home PT and start outpatient PT on Mon. Going grocery shopping tom. for the first time. Using an electric cart but excited any going out and doing it myself. I miss driving so much and hate relying on others. Have abt 3-4 more wks though before I can drive.
 
I have not been able to get interested in a book either, I have a few downloaded, going to save them for the summer.
Sounds like you are progressing nicely, have fun shopping with the electric cart!:vespa:
 
Between being post op and having anemia no wonder you're wiped out. Glad you doc is on top of things.
 
Between being post op and having anemia no wonder you're wiped out. Glad you doc is on top of things.

I do have a question though. I had to have 2 transfusions after surgery and have been on iron pills twice a day ever since. Is this normal one month after surgery?
 
I had 2 transfusions also, but no recommendation for iron at discharge. I have been trying to eat foods with iron, red meats, malt o meal, prunes, rasins, etc.
I have felt OK since discharge, I have no idea what normal would be, except that we are all different.
 
I had 2 transfusions also, but no recommendation for iron at discharge. I have been trying to eat foods with iron, red meats, malt o meal, prunes, rasins, etc.
I have felt OK since discharge, I have no idea what normal would be, except that we are all different.

I know my last blood test (last week)said I was still anemic. May contact my OS to see why. I don't feel bad just wiped out all the time. I know that is somewhat normal, guess I just want to be sure. I hate the iron pills because they also constipste me. Taking stool softener but I hate them. Guess this is my day to complain. lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom