TKR 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to you in the ER is inexcusable. How fortunate that you had the presence of mind to insist on reaching your surgeon. I shutter to think what would have happened if they had tried to do surgery on you!
I told my son NO ONE touches me for surgery without contacting my docors first. I wasn't even sure they contacted his office until the next day. And he was not happy. Thankfully they stepped into the middle of it.
 
Things were going pretty well and then I had a visit to my PCP Monday. While in his office the muscle spasms started. Since I now recognize them, I was able to keep them to a small roar. I walked, massaged my calf and thigh and made it thru for the most part. (he could actually see the muscle contracting) He was concerned because my pulse rate was 130. He immediately did an EKG which was fine thankfully and my pulse rate started to drop. Had some more blood tests done and the only thing is I'm still anemic. That actually concerns me because I've never been anemic before. Right now I'm taking 2 iron pills a day to help offset it.

I've requested a new pain medication to help prevent the dehydration. (should hear today) Only taking Tramadol now for pain plus Robaxin for the muscle spasms. My appetite is coming back and I no longer feel like I have cotton balls in my mouth. My actual knee pain is not severe it has been all in the legs. Swelling is pretty much gone but I still use ice packs after PT. And I'm using Voltaren Gel on my legs which is helping alot.

I'm getting a decent nights sleep now once I actually get comfortable. Slepts 6 hrs straight last night so I feel pretty good this morning. Got PT at noon.

Toughest thing for me now is getting a fire started in the AM. We've got a cold spell and my only heat is wood. But I'm getting pretty good at it.

I'm hoping that the worst is over. I know I will have pain, but the excruiating pain from mutiple muscle spasms is more than I can bear again.

Here's to a good day for everyone.
 
Sounds like you need gatoraide, coconut water, or other drinks filled with electrolytes and hydration. Did your primary ask for an electrolyte panel?
Hope the muscle spasms resolve,
 
Sounds like you need gatoraide, coconut water, or other drinks filled with electrolytes and hydration. Did your primary ask for an electrolyte panel?
Hope the muscle spasms resolve,

Yes, the tests were done and the electrolytes are fine which surpised everyone. I have to be careful about what I drink because of my diabetes. Gatoraide is a definite no no for me.
 
I'm having what I tink is a strange pain.It's behind the knee on the lower part of the thigh. It aches continually not really sharp but extremely annoying. The only way to get it to stop is to walk. The minute I sit down it starts again.

Is this normal? What is it?
 
Why don't you try icing some more. I iced all day and night whenever I sat or laid down for weeks. Being diabetic can you drink G2 Gatorade I believe sugar free or milk? There is a lot of info if you search bonesmart on nutrition by @Poppet. She has written many good articles and has a whole section in the forum. Hope your spasms improve!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Why don't you try icing some more. I iced all day and night whenever I sat or laid down for weeks. Being diabetic can you drink G2 Gatorade I believe sugar free or milk? There is a lot of info if you search bonesmart on nutrition by @Poppet. She has written many good articles and has a whole section in the forum. Hope your spasms improve!

I cut out the oxycodone completely and the spasms have improved greatly. My appetite is back also which is good. I started taking some quinine pills (not 100%) for the spasms and that seems to help. Now that I'm off the oxycodone I think things will gontinue to improve.

I thnk what surprises me is where I have pain or acheness. Very little in the knee, mostly on my upper left thigh in the back and my lower left outside ankle. Just on the left leg too.

I ice all the time but actually have little swelling at any time. Always ice after PT and other time when just sitting.
I find the Voltaren Gel helps me alot.

I don't drink dairy and the sugar free Gatoraide isn't as "sugar free" as you might think. I have done the search thanks. I eat to my meter to decide what works for me. So many things they say are diabetic friendly aren't. Or it depends on whether you are Type 1 or Type 2. I have a friend that is Type 2 and she can eat things I can't and visa versa. Strange disease.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
So glad you have found improvement! My knee actually never hurt much (numbness?). My biggest issue was a lot of pain above it in the quads. It was great when that improved.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Today is a goog and bad day. Woke up at 6am and immediately after getting into the recliner all of the aches in my legs started again. Knees fine.muscle relaxant helped some and I go into a defect position and slept for a couple of more hrs. Been depressed today...No specific reason. I'm hungry but don't feel like cooking. Hopefully that will change side no one to cook for me. Oh boohoo. Well, going to try and take a nap. Hopefully I'll feel more up to it afterwards.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
@sleenie. This first month or so is really rough and can take its toll. Please do eat something---not good to feel down, have achy legs, and have an empty tummy, too.

[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally


Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Sheenie,
Hope today was better for you. I was wondering about the ligaments and tendons and hope mine are good enough. Did that make things harder? Or maybe just longer giving them time to heal. Do they repair them or replace them using some from another part of your body.
And what do you mean by defect position? Does that feel the best?
I'm not sure of my date yet for my TKR, today I got A+ from my cardiologist so I am happy. Check that off.
Hang in there,
 
Half way decent night, on Tylenol now and can tell a major difference in being off the stronger drugs. No more major muscle spasms (fingers crossed). Yesterday was errand day, but I went along for the ride only, Didn't get out of the car. Still really tiring though. Also had PT. Quiet day today, suppose to go to a birthday party but decided not too. Afraid of overdoing it. Think I'll just do my exercises and relax.
 
Hi Sheenie,
Hope today was better for you. I was wondering about the ligaments and tendons and hope mine are good enough. Did that make things harder? Or maybe just longer giving them time to heal. Do they repair them or replace them using some from another part of your body.
And what do you mean by defect position? Does that feel the best?
I'm not sure of my date yet for my TKR, today I got A+ from my cardiologist so I am happy. Check that off.
Hang in there,

It's my understanding that they had to replace. I know it extended the surgery by abt 1.5 hrs. Was told it may add a little to rehab time. No real additional pain though. My pain has been very manageable with the exception of major muscle spasms caused by medication.

As far as "defect" position I have no idea. I think auto correct got me there. Lol. I allow best on my side but early on that was hard. It's getting easier now.
 
I hate these "weepy" days. For no reason in particular, I just want to cry and feel sorry fir myself. No more pain than usual, just a mood. So glad I have no company today.

This morning I knocked over a container of cereal onto the floor. A real mess and I just sat there and cried because I had to get the broom and clean it up. How sad is that?
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
I understand exactly how you felt. Even now when I do something like that that creates more work for me, I just want to cry or scream and holler or both! It's just so frustrating!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 15 yr journy coming to an end...finally
I understand exactly how you felt. Even now when I do something like that that creates more work for me, I just want to cry or scream and holler or both! It's just so frustrating!

I so agree. Haven't had a dishwasher in several yrs. And the dishes wisecracking up. Wish I could "blink" them away. LOL
 
Today is a goog and bad day. Woke up at 6am and immediately after getting into the recliner all of the aches in my legs started again
Yep---those aches and pains migrate all over the place and the first month or so is tough, as the muscles and nerves are all re-attaching themselves.

I had aches and pains that would migrate all over both knees.

I hate these "weepy" days. For no reason in particular, I just want to cry and feel sorry fir myself. No more pain than usual, just a mood.
Yes, the pain meds, the isolation, the dependency, the Watching the world go by"---and other aspects---all bring about these feelings of depression and weepiness and the feeling of being down in the dumps.

I would stand by the window for a long time and watch the world go by.
 
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm warm over my entire body, but my feet are either cold or achy from the ankles down. Can't decide if it's extreme cold or just achiness. Just a very strange sensation. And uncomfortable.
 
I have had a similar experience, right now my feet are just cold. The other day it was a result of pain, and when I took my pain meds it went away. Trying to sort all this out is a challenge.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom