THR 14 Months Post-Op and still have chronic thigh pain<

@Fullboost Ice and elevate and do take it easy. That was quite a trip for someone so early out of surgery. Hope things are easing.
 
I had my right hip replaced about 2½ weeks ago. Two days ago, I went to an auto show and walked around with my wife (using my cane). Later that day, I noticed the area around my incision is very red. It doesn't hurt, just very red and hot to the touch. My worst fear is getting an infection!
Well, my first question is, did you ever read the articles Jaycey left you in the very first reply to your opening post? That would be post #2! In there is this article Activity progression for THRs which clearly states

Week 3
Lengthen the walks to about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.

You clearly exceeded that advice and so no wonder you are now suffering the consequences!

I will be returning to work next week (3 weeks post-op), and think I'm ready to get back into a routine.
I would also most strongly advise you to not even consider this! What ever your job is, it's far too soon to be returning to work so soon! Much better to take off 2-3 more weeks than end up having to go off sick again after a few days. Phased return to work
 
@Fullboost My bladder seems sluggish too. I am 14 days post op on 2 THR. Could you explain what you are talking about and what your urologist relative suggested? Thanks!
 
He prescribed Flomax for me!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I had the feeling I over did it. Since I had the anterior approach, my doctor told me I have no restrictions so i figured it was ok. Not so much!

Just for peace of mind, I think I'll go have my doctor check out my incision to make sure its all good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anterior approach is not the magic everyone makes it out to be. You may not have restrictions but you just had major surgery. Your body needs time to heal. Please slow down! Take your med and get that ice and elevation going. This will ease - you just aggravated muscles and soft tissues that have already been traumatised.
 
Just an update.. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my THR. I have had this redness and swelling develop around my incision for the past week. Went and saw my ortho yesterday, he didn't seem too concerned but ordered blood work and started me on antibiotics. I woke up this morning to find a fluid draining out my incision (it was dripping down my leg). The fluid is mostly clear but yellowish in color.

I don't have a temperature (well ok I do, but its normal), I don't have any pain or anything else.. Should I be concerned yet or does anyone have words of advice?
 
I would call your surgeon and let them know about this sudden drainage. At 3 weeks out that's not something I would want to see either. It's probably good you are on antibiotics. When do you get the blood results?
 
They did the blood work yesterday so hopefully today they have results back.
 
Just an update, saw my surgeon yesterday and he said the drainage is "serous" fluid and likely the result of a blood clot under the incision area. He said my implant isn't in danger and having serous fluid isn't that unusual.

He sent me home and said to allow the incision to just drain itself and has me on a cycle of antibiotics.

Anyone else have experience with serous fluid or how long I can expect to have my hip draining this fluid? I'm on day 2 now, but I will say the incision area is looking better.
 
Well this is good news @Fullboost ! Glad the incision is looking better. I'm going to tag @Josephine for her input on incision drainage.
 
Saw my OS today and he decided I need emergency surgery to open up my incision to clean it out and drain it. Ugh this has been a terrible experience, I only hope this works and I can begin to heal and recover!

Leaving for hospital in a few min.. Wish me luck!
 
All the best to you, @Fullboost, as you go back for another surgery. Sorry you are having to go through this. I am cheering you on!
 
Hi @Fullboost , sending you good vibes, glad your surgeon is going to address this and clean it out for you. Good luck, you'll be home before you know it :)
 
Sending healing thoughts so that all goes well with the clean out. So sorry you are having this problem to deal with.
 
Update: My OS opened up the incision and cleaned and drained it out. Ended up spending one night in the hospital. My OS said it was all on the superficial level and not infected. He did however install a "Activac" wound vac to help promote healing and draining.

Anyone have experience with this? apparently they have to change out the sponge every 3 or so days, are they painful?
 
Good news about your wound @Fullboost. I'll tag @Josephine for her input on the wound vac. I know several members have had to deal with this but I don't think they are still on the forum.
 
They can be a bit painful at the start but as time goes by they get less so.
 
Update:
Wound vac removed a few days ago, while it did a great job they are a pain to pack around everywhere. I am now transitioning to a "wet to dry" wound dressing. Hopefully my wound closes up in the next week or two. The wound looks good and appears to be healing up well.

Hopefully that is the end of my saga and I can recover fully!
 
I had a right THR in January. After a rocky recovery (needing a 2nd surgery) and I am doing much better.

I have no hip pain, but my thigh is still very weak and I get intermittent pain. The pain seems like its more muscle than bone but its hard to tell at times. I've been back numerous times to my Dr who cannot find anything wrong (at least on Xray or MRI). He said everything is exactly where it should be. It has me perplexed.

I had my left hip replaced in 2010 and never experienced this thigh pain..

Any ideas or thoughts? Maybe it will just go away?
 
Back
Top Bottom