THR 14 Months Post-Op and still have chronic thigh pain<

Hey everyone,

In Jan 2017, I had anterior THR on my right hip. I have had mid-thigh pain ever since my surgery. The pain can range from 3-4 during the day, but when I get out of bed its a 8-9 and I can barely walk for a few minutes.

I have been back to my Dr. numerous times, he has ran every test imaginable and tells me there is nothing wrong with my hip (no loosening, fractures etc). He has no idea why I have thigh pain and tells me that it should go away on its own.

Well its not. I limp pretty badly on it, even using a cane at times.

I am at a complete loss of where to go next. I am in worse shape today than before the surgery and honestly wish I never had it done.
 
Hi @Fullboost
I'm sorry you're struggling. Let me tag our Nurse Director, @Josephine and see if she can advise.
She is in the U.K. sp please check back in case she has questions. Hopefully she'll be able to help.
Wishing you well as you move forward!
 
@Fullboost Welcome back but I'm very sorry that you are still dealing with pain after all this time.

I've merged your new thread with your previous thread about your THR. I think it will be useful to have all your info in one place. That may make it easier for Jo to advise you too.
 
I was hoping you wouldn't do that as the new issues tend to get overlooked with no responses like last time this was updated (Aug 2017).
 
Awww I'm sure it wasn't intentionally ignored. It's easier for Josephine to have your threads all in one post as it contains your history regarding this Hip, which goes a long way in helping determine a direction to go from here.
I can relate to thigh pain....I'm dealing with some of this at 4 Mons post op. Do you have a recent copy of an xray of this hip that you could post here for Josephine to look at?
 
Hi @Fullboost
I don't think your latest post will be overlooked due to your threads being merged.
Your thread title "14 months post op and still have chronic thigh pain" fits the description of what's going on currently so those who care to respond will post accordingly.
Josephine's been tagged and may be able to advise. Check back in case she has questions.
Wishing you a good weekend.
 
I'm glad they are ruling out problem with prosthetic but could there be a muscle/tendon damaged during surgery that is not healing? Did you have X-ray's only or could you have an MRI?
I'm not medically knowledgeable about what could be the issue...
Since you had an infection early on, do you think that may have not been resolved? Blood work?
Hate that this had not been an uneventful recovery.
Much sympathy!
 
Yep I have blood work that ruled out infection, I’ve had a bone scan, as well as MRI all were negative.
 
Jeez. No wonder you are frustrated. I do get some thigh and groin pain but can almost always attribute it to doing too much or performing labor intensive tasks that I haven't done in a while.
As far out as I am, I can still overdo.
Not getting that kind of swelling and consistent pain though.

Lot of help I am, huh?:umm:
Josephine will be along...
Guessing she will have questions.
 
Have you had a second opinion with a completely independent surgeon? It may be good to have someone else give reassurance or diagnose the issue if there is a problem. You've seen your OS multiple times - a fresh set of eyes wouldn't hurt.
 
Yeah I'm a bit frustrated to say the least.. The odd thing is that my hip feels great. Its something in my thigh and groin area. I figured this same issue had surfaced in others.
 
@Fullboost - I am sorry that you are having pain this far out from surgery. I agree with SaraK in that maybe getting an opinion from someone else may shed some light on what could be going on the your thigh and groin pain.

I was having groin and thigh pain as well and cannot even walk around the block. I had a CT done, but nothing was in the report that anything was wrong and I honestly don't think that my surgeon looked at the CT images. However, once I saw a revision surgeon, they were the ones to point out to me that the acetabular screws were protruding into the muscle (in looking at the CT). I had an MRI as well (which the revisionist ordered), which showed the screws "better" than the CT. So, even though your MRI was clear, I would still see if I could get someone else to look at it. I also had bloodwork, bone scan, aspiration, etc and all came back negative. The revisionist even told me that my x-rays looked "textbook perfect". But the CT and MRI told the real story...

I know how frustrating this is, but we are all here for you..... I hope you have a good weekend.
 
I think it may be useful to let a new pair of eyes look at you, it might make you feel better too, its hard not to worry and pain is so tiring. Hopefully they will find the answer, sometimes it takes more than one person to find all the answers. Hope the weekend is good for you, and look forward to hearing how you are going.xx
 
Thank you for the replies. I will see if I can find another hip specialist
 
Hi Fullboast, sorry I've taken a while to get around to you.

Let's start at the beginning ...

First, can you identify your pain points using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] 14 Months Post-Op and still have chronic thigh pain<



After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
You BETCHA!



Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
 
:wave: give Josephine the coordinates of where your pain is by using the chart, then she can give some insight on a possible cause.
 
@Fullboost As mojo posted can you please give Jo the coordinates (see her post) of where you are feeling pain? The example on the left shows how to use the coordinates.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. As you can see from my earlier posts, I had an anterior approach.

2. Main pain is about #6, but when I get out of bed its more like #8

3. I am not taking pain medication

4. Yes I have tried icing as well as heat, neither did anything to help

5. No, why would I need to elevate it?

6. My activity level has been severely impeded by the pain, so I do like chores and housework and well as sit at a desk at work

7. No I am not
I have been thru PT, but it did not help the groin/thigh pain

Thank you Josephine, I have provided my responses in red above..

As far as your chart for pain, I have pain all thru my front right thigh and sometimes in the groin area.
 
Back
Top Bottom