BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] 12 weeks with a new knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Newboots, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Newboots

Newboots member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @beachy Yes I think it helps to mark the things you can do so that you don’t get too despondent . I’m just too impatient and actually feeling like I have more energy now!
    Hope you’re on the mend from your setback. If so there’ll be 2 new women in 2 weeks. Watch out world !

• Like Like x 2
  2. beachy

beachy post-grad

United States United States
    LOL! Watch out world, indeed!

3. Newboots

Newboots member

Very chuffed that today managed to walk up a not very steep hill in a wood and walk back down with v little pain ! Used my walking poles as the ground is uneven.
    Come back home and no pain just a bit swollen and stiff so ice and elevate for New Years Eve! Roll on bionic 2019 !:hiking:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a major step! You did it!

5. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I love that word, “chuffed”! I never heard it until Bonesmart!

6. Newboots

Newboots member

Originally a Liverpudlian word I think popularised by comedian Ken Dodd as in ‘How chuffed I am ‘ !

7. Newboots

Newboots member

Someone else on here said they felt they daren’t write anything too positive about their recovery as the next day they’ll have a setback. Well it’s happened to me after a good New Years Eve the following day I did swimming in the morning and then tried to put a broom back in the little shed outside. The door wouldn’t shut so I lifted it up to slide the catch across. It must have put a strain on my knee cus it was v painful afterwards.

I saw the physio yesterday because I was concerned that my recovery wasn’t going well enough at 3 months.
    She was lovely and reassuring- I think she’d been reading Bonesmart. Yes she said I was still limping because my knee is still swollen - an inch more than my other knee and that I needed to ice and elevate. Also to do some stretches for extension as my leg isn’t straight yet.My flexion is still only 91 according to her but it’s not stopping me getting around.She said to continue with walks and swimming and do some heel slides.She said all the usual things about every recovery is different and that I mustn’t compare it with my other knee.At least there’s nothing really wrong with it and the pain isn’t constant. Just got to keep on keeping on.....

8. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

Amen to that! All we can do is keep going. I've come to accept for the foreseeable future it's going to be good days and bad days. Glad to hear you are not in constant pain, that's so hard to deal with. We will get there!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Newboots

Newboots member

How can a knee be SO sensitive! Have just bought some new slippers online . Unfortunately they have quite an inflexible sole so that you can go outside in them . The knee really didn’t like that. Within 5 mins I had complaints! Not going to send the slippers back cus hopefully will be able to wear them in the future. So back to my old Sketchers then !:umm:

10. Jockette

I call mine Miss Dramma Queen! It reacts to everything! :gaah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sistersinhim

Changing shoes is a really big deal for a new knee. Anything that changes your gait affects your knee. Soon, you should be able to wear those shoes. Just start out for short times at a time. I call my knee, the Brat!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Newboots

Newboots member

I used to wear insoles in most of my shoes before I had my knees replaced. They were to correct my knees rolling outwards. I’m assuming I no longer need to wear them. I keep forgetting to ask the physio . ....What do you all think?

13. sistersinhim

I'd say to take them out and try it for a few days. I had them, also, and removed them. I'm doing fine without them in my shoes.

14. Newboots

Newboots member

Thanks I’ll try that.

15. Newboots

Newboots member

Hi all,
    Not been able to post as we had a sad family event on Monday. My 95 year old father died. It was very peaceful and quick but not expected so a shock. Sad but so glad it was not prolonged. We’d just moved him into a nursing home that he liked very much.That happened whist I was in the early days of recovery but luckily my sister came to help with the move.
    So now we have the funeral to organise and then doing his estate so I’m going to be busy. Luckily I have 2 amazing daughters who will be a big help.

Knee is not great ... maybe it’s responding to my mood.I was trying to ease off the last Tramadol at night but the knee thinks otherwise as it’s stopping me from sleeping. At 14 and a bit weeks I thought I wouldn’t need Tramadol any more. It’s more of the same with elevating and icing.
    I can do my stairs one leg after the other but even though I can do them it doesn’t mean to say my knee likes them . This is a bit of a moan but I see that @Mom2Lucy, @traceys and @beachy are still on here for the long haul so I’m not alone.Good wishes to you all.
    @Jockette and @sistersinhim sorry but I’ve yet to catch up with your posts to see how you’re doing.

16. Jockette

I’m so sorry about your dad. :console2:

My knee always feels worse, even still, when I am under stress or upset. Do what you can to make it happy and if you can’t, don’t worry too much about it, it will settle down again in time when things settle down more for you. :console2:

17. sistersinhim

I am so sorry to read about your father's passing. Thank God it was an easy one.
    Jockette is right. Stress adds pain to whatever hurts. We will be here praying for you and your family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    @Newboots
    I am so sorry to hear the news. Wondered where you had been. Stress is horrible on the body. Now is not the time to change much on your knee regimen.
    Sending some peaceful thoughts your way. :prayer:

We are still here whenever you need us and get back....ready to carry whatever load we can help with for you. :console2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Larryhg3

Larryhg3 senior

My condolences on your loss.

20. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

So sorry to hear of your families loss.