BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] 12 weeks with a new knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Newboots, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Newboots

Newboots member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    First knee replacement done November 2017. Used ice very effectively. This time knee replaced on Oct 3rd 2018 but because blisters formed around the edge of the waterproof bandage had treatment with iodine and adhesive cloth bandages to cover the wound. Wondering if anyone else had this issue? Was thinking of perhaps over wrapping with cling film so that it would protect from damp gel packs.
    Interestingly pain not as bad this time round and more initial mobility but this may change

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Newboots Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on that new knee! I'd be more inclined to wrap something waterproof around the ice pack than the knee. I assume you wrap the ice pack with a tea towel anyway to protect your skin. Perhaps put the whole thing in a plastic bag?

If you give me the dates of both your TKRs I will pop them in your signature for you.

I'll leave your reading list here to refer to if needed.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork

3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key
    Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Newboots

Newboots member

Thanks Jaycee that’s a good idea. Of course can’t think straight at the moment!
    My replacement dates were RKR Nov 30th 2017 and LKR Oct 3rd 2018.

4. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

United States United States
    I didn’t have your issue but I used a lightweight kitchen towel under my ice machine cuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Newboots

Newboots member

Thanks inkedMarie. Was going to use a kitchen towel as well . I’m just terrified of getting these blisters infected so don’t want any moisture near them .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lefty57

Lefty57 junior member

I used wax paper under my ice bag on my first TKR

7. Newboots

Newboots member

Ah good thinking !

8. Newboots

Newboots member

So 2 days later one of the blisters has burst! Tomorrow morning I’ll talk to my GP practice nurse to see if she’ll look at them. A bit of a worry. Did you happen with my fisprst knee op.
    Anyone else had experience of blisters around the wound.?

9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    We've had a few people with blisters around the wound. They're called fracture blisters, and they're due to swelling, so do everything you can to try and reduce swelling- lots of rest, ice and elevation.

Keep the one that burst covered with a clean, dry dressing.

It's good that you're going to ask your doctor's practice nurse to look at them.

10. Newboots

Newboots member

Thanks Celle and please forgive the errors in the previous post.... I’m very nauseous and lightheaded!
    Interestingly the practice nurse hadn’t seen this type of blister before but she redid the dressings and put iodine dressings on the blisters. Have to see her again on Thursday.She agreed with the elevation and ice.

Have first Physio Assessment tomorrow so will see what exercise they think is appropriate when you have blisters,

11. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

With those blisters, it might not be a good idea to stress them with PT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree with @sistersinhim.
    I’m sure they’ll come up with what they think are appropriate, but they won’t be essential. I would wait if it was me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

My husband used to get blisters on his skin from the orange stuff they used to sterilize the wound before surgery. I had to scrub every inch of it off him right away and he still got blisters. If the blisters do not clear up right away, I would question using iodine on them as that is the substance that caused the blisters on Bob's skin. At least mention it to the nurse.

14. Newboots

Newboots member

Physio really helpful today. Positive remarks on my mobility so far and says I can go down to one crutch if I’m comfortable with that. Agreed elevation and ice was the best thing to do at the moment especially with the blisters.Good to see Bonesmart advice being followed!:)

@skigirl I did wonder if it was a reaction to either the pre op wash or adhesive on the bandage.Will mention it to the nurse tomorrow .

15. Newboots

Newboots member

Blister update. Been to see Practice Nurse again who changed the dressings and said the blisters are drying out well so should be able to have dressing removed completely on Wednesday and therefore have a SHOWER!
    Apart from the blisters this TKR is so different to the first. I’m a lot more mobile,have less swelling and -touch wood - less pain. Long may it continue.
    Just thought I’d post this so that if anyone else gets fracture blisters they might not be so worried with the outcome.

16. sistersinhim

Good news that the blisters are drying up! That shower will feel heavenly! Don't be surprised if it wears you out and you'll need a nap!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Newboots

Newboots member

Finally managed to get a shower after problems with my boiler!. These things are sent to try us! Shower just great and can see most of blisters healing up ok just a couple of tiny spots that are bleeding but from the incision site. I can go back to the practice nurse if they continue to bleed.

Then went went for a physio session of half an hour -quite gentle stuff for ROM but my knee didn’t like it and I had a rough night. It also had an impact on my right knee which was replaced last year. I told the physio I wouldn’t come for a few weeks until the swelling had gone down.

Looking at the Bonesmart info that Jaycee sent me I reckon if I do heel slides 5 times a day x5 and then extension exercise the same it should be enough plus doing little walks outside and the 2 flights of stairs I have in my house..
    What do others think about this amount of exercise? I know we’re all different at healing rates but I’ll be 3 weeks next Wednesday.
    So lucky to have supportive friends who are taking me out for appointments and my first coffee out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I am going to tag @Josephine
    our forum administrator and nurse director to answer that question.

19. sistersinhim

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'm with sistersinhim. I never did any exercising either and I suggest you don't either. I've never yet met a person who benefited from exercising.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?