Guest viewing is limited

THR 11 month checkup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My First Checkup

Well done on getting the go ahead! Sky is the limit right? Have great time with your new found freedom.

Don't forget us will you?
 
Re: My First Checkup

Hiya Everyone, What a beautiful day i ve had, This morning i was driving the car and then later my hubby had got my bicycle out of the garage and checked it over, I have been out for 2 hours cycling on the promenade. FREEDOM.I might treat myself to a new bike lol
 
Re: My First Checkup

Hiya Everyone, Yesterday we went down to Halfords cycle shop and i got my first ever NEW BIKE, Its stuck in the garage at the moment as the weather is awful today TYPICAL:hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling:
 
Re: My First Checkup

Great achievements. Enjoy your new hip and bike rides.
 
Re: My First Checkup

Hiya Everyone, Today i went swimming for the first time, Everything seemed ok doing breaststroke but i did nt do to much first time in. On my way home i found i had some pain on my scar area, so i took a couple of trametcet and rested, I will give swimming a miss for a few more weeks. i don t like pain anymore. lol
 
Re: My First Checkup

Sounds like a good plan. You're doing a great job of listening to your body!!!
 
Re: My First Checkup

Great to hear that you are having fun on your bike Linda:thumb: just catching up with how everyone is doing.........took my phone for a swim (literally) last week and it's now died so I'm having to sit at the pc which just isn't as easy. There are some exercises that you can do in the pool rather than swimming if you prefer - Marlow Steve told them to me many months ago
 
Re: My First Checkup

Hiya Lisa. My hubby and I was in the garage today cos he was sorting my new bike out ready for the road, One of my neighbours stopped by and said he has 2 brand new bikes in his garage which they have never used. I could of screamed when he said he only wanted £60 for the 2 bikes,there was allsorts of stuff with them which we had nt got yet. So guess what we have 6 bikes now. which one to ride today lol I am so happy to ride my bike painfree.
 
breast stroke

Hiya Everyone, I am a bit puzzled at the moment, Last week when i went for my checkup I asked the consultant if if could go swimming again and the answer was yes, A lady who works with me in the charity shop had an appointment the day after me and she asked the same question but was told not to do breaststroke and she had her hip replacement last year. Has anyone one else been told NO BREASTSTROKE.:what::what::what:
 
Re: breast stroke

Yes, I was told not to do breast stroke until after my post-op followup. I have seen others post that they do this stroke just post-op though. I think it is OS dependent. Best to check with your OS.
 
Re: breast stroke

Yes, I was also told not to do breaststroke, the kick is not good for the hips.
 
Re: breast stroke

Hey! Although I wasn't told which stroke to do/not do, the first time I tried breaststroke (the first time in the water) I quickly discovered that it wasn't good. Then I tried using one good leg, but my brain seems programmed to kick both legs. So I just dragged both legs and used the arms, which has greatly improved my arm and core strength. (I didn't have a replacement, but an acetabular fracture followed by a rather nasty HO from which i'm recovering 5 days now). I didn't try butterfly, but can't imagine that the pelvis rock would be much fun...dunno. The first swim day I couldn't even get my hips up enough for backstroke or freestyle; but a few days later I was OK, even if one leg is way floppier than the other. Once I get back in (staples out next week), I'm going for it.

best of luck y'all! Swimming is a grand exercise.:thumb:
 
Re: breast stroke

Hallo, Landlady,

Perhaps listening to my experience may help you to make up your mind about breaststroke swimming. Prior to getting the hip replacement I had been a reasonably good breaststroke swimmer, but not up to competitive level. It would take me about 40 minutes to swim a mile. About 7 or 8 years ago, I started to notice that after a swim I couldn't raise my leg onto the changing room bench to deal with shoes and socks. After a few days I was ready to go again and swam hard, with the same result. I didn't know it at the time, but it was my hip starting to go wrong.

So, after my replacement last November, I asked the surgeon whether I could swim or not, and if so what strokes? Breaststroke was a no no. I asked whether I could do a very gentle keep afloat kind of breaststroke if I were in a lake or river and wanted to keep the head up to enjoy the scenery. After some hesitation, he replied that it would be OK but that on no account must I kick out hard with the affected leg. I understood that he was concerned about dislocation, and didn't pursue the matter further. It has since occurred to me that after a time, when the tissues have regrouped round the surgery site I may again be able to swim a fuller breaststroke. But I wouldn't think of swimming fully again until after I have asked him to reconsider, maybe at the one year mark. I would appreciate any comment Josephine might make about this.

In the meantime, I have been trying to teach myself the front crawl, which he said would be fine. Gradually I have worked up to swimming a mile on front crawl, but it took 46 minutes, slower than the previous breaststroke, but then, maybe I haven't regained all the stamina lost after the operation.

So my interpretation is that breaststroke is OK provided that the injured leg goes through the motion without any pressure or hard kicking. Otherwise learn crawl, but I realise it is not an easy stroke to come to later in life.

Above all get in the water and enjoy it. Some people at my gym do nothing more than walk up and down the pool. That's like dry land walking but with much of the weight off the joint. Good exercise but a bit dull if you have nobody to talk to. Perhaps walk with a friend, though simultaneous smoking and chocolate eating are not recommended.

All the best,

Alan
 
Re: breast stroke

I imagine Alan doing 'proper' breast stroke.......whereas I do 'keep your hair dry' breast stroke and have no problems whatsoever. I was told to try it and see how it felt.

I have also done lengths of the pool just kicking in the crawl method (but my legs where probably in a doggy paddle kind of fashion in reality) whilst holding a float. That really feels like it doing something in terms of working the muscles in my legs.

On seeing the physio today she recommended doing the abductor 'Harry Worth' exercises and cycling in the pool amongst other things.

If I were you I'd phone up and see what your OS recommends for you.
 
ouchhhhh

Hiya, My recovery has been great and doing most things i used to do but with care. Today i got in the car just like i used to do and i have hurt my scar area, I got in without thinking becareful, So my scar area is a bit painful so i pop a couple of pills or just rest. My hubby said it looks a bit red. Linda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom