THR 11 month checkup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Not at all! Repeat prescriptions are dealt with by the secretarial staff and presented to the doctor to sign. They can only add things that are on your repeat list and he doesn't vet them from that point of view.

So all it means is that Tramadol and Paracetamol were not on your repeat prescription list which was naughty of them because they should have rung you back and brought this to your attention. But I am sure if you ring your surgery and ask for a telephone consultation with your doctor (you do have them, right?) he will happily prescribe them for you.
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

I know what my GP would say if somebody supposedly told them that I could no longer have my repeat prescription.

I would have thought that it was down to you and your GP to discuss when you are ready to come off not just your painkillers, but any medication.

If you need them, then do as Josephine has said and ring up and request them
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Hiya. I have just found my discharged letter and it lists all my pre-op and what they gave me in hospital, it says Fragmin,- GP not to continue treatment, i still have 2 weeks of them to do yet. Also Tramadol and Paracetamol GP not to continue treatment.I have still been precribed Butrans 10mg and Naproxen, at least it might stop the constipation.lol
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Also Tramadol and Paracetamol GP not to continue treatment
I don't understand what this means. It's up to your GP, not the hospital.
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Hi Landlady

Just had a similar experiance,i rang up and spoke to my droctors about a repeat prescription ,it was no problem and she left it at reception for my hubby to collect. This was for Tramadol i was taking 50mg twice daily before op and hospital sent a letter to my doctors saying i was on 200mg 4 times a day.

Well you guessed it the prescription was for 50 mg twice a day i had taken them for a day and next day my leg was sore and in some pain ,but i put it down to ive been outside doing some walking over the past couple of days - good job i rechecked my tablets and saw where the problem was.
So check your dosage if you were on them before op.

Josephine- i wondered if you can suggest, im on 2 paracetamol and tramadol 200 mg 4 times a day, the dr suggested i cut it down as thats a high dosage on tramadol.

as im now 4 weeks post op i thought id try 150mg 3 times a day now. But i would like some advise on cutting back as to how much and for how long. When i spoke to a dr on the phone she was not helpful and said its up to the individual patient.
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

BR I would speak to your GP about cutting down on your meds.

I have been on MST conitnus now since April of last year. At my own request on a visit to my GP I spoke to him about coming off these now as I was originally put on them due to my crumbling hip etc.... I am now on week two of coming of them and it is a very slow process as well.

Side effects of coming off them are sweats (great time of life I already got those)! Dizziness, giddiness, and craving of morphine:scratch: Up to now I am currently fine on coming off them, and I hope that it stays like this as I sure as heck do not want to be craving the stuff.

To be on the safe side I would check with your doctore:thumb:
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Thanks Paignton

I think i will ring the advice line at the hospital about this, ive got my 6 week check up in 2 weeks so was originally going to leave it till then.
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

Hiya Blueroses, My 6 week check up is 8 weeks really, operation date 19th may and next appointment is 13th July, I will just ring Mr Kays secretary if i have any problems,because she is brilliant.Just debating if i should go to Asda with hubby I could always go round on one of their scooters lol
 
Re: Repeat Precriptions

You must spend half your day asleep! 200mg four times a day surely is the top end dose and I would agree with your doctor in considering that to be somewhat high. The usual dose is 50-100mgs four times a day, 150 on occasions if the need arises.

Try taking 150mg for a day or two and see if it still controls your pain. If that works, then I would go to 100mgs and even later see if 50 is sufficient. Continue with the paracetamol though - it's a good companion drug to Tramadol.

This bears no comparison to having been on MST for over a year! MST is a morphine/opiate drug. Tramadol isn't so there should be no need for you to "wean off" it as you've not been on it that long and you'll not be subject to the symptoms Paignton has described.

I also doubt you'll get much help form the hospital advice line. It's not like you're tampering with drugs to control blood pressure or somesuch. Plus, I very much doubt they will be in a position to advise on this anyway - they'll probably say what your GP said - it's up to you! :wink1:
 
Re: Shower

A belated welcome to you, Landlady.

I'm with Forbesy. The first shower was gorgeous, and the first bath just over the moon. I've been a bath person my whole life so being limited to showers took away a big part of what relaxes me. So glad to have my baths back.
 
Heading to Week 3

Hiya Everyone, Just a quick update of my progress 18 days post op. I have not been given any repeat precriptions for Tramadol and Paracetamol, I still have a Butrans 10mg patch on also i have still been prescribed Naproxen which i have taken 1 or 2 a day.I have NO pain in my new hip which is fantastic. We go out for a walk every day which is great, I really know how far to go.I still get tired when i have done to much and i take myself for a lie down. I had been on pain killers for so long and alway had to use lax stuff for the loo. Them days have gone now. I M REGULAR:th_heehee::th_heehee::th_heehee::th_heehee: My post op appointment is still 5 weeks away and should i stay on 2 crutches till then or should i phone the physio at the hospital. :scratch::scratch::scratch:
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Sounds like you are right on track!

What restrictions did your OS give you? Are you non weight bearing of full weight bearing?

What usually happens is that you will start leaving your crutches behind. You will get half way across a room and realise you got there on your own. Until that time I would stick with the crutches. What you want to avoid is limping again.

Still early days!
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Hiya, I was given no indication how long to use the crutches far, or how long to wear the socks, i just can t sleep with them on but i do still wear them during the day unless i have a skirt or shorts on when i go out. In our local paper today it was on about a local lad who had his ankle smashed last year and has since died due to a blood clot so i will stay with the socks.Anyway its not 3 weeks yet so i will be GOOD, and careful. Linda
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Hi LandLady

I was told 6 weeks for the lovely sox,although i do give myself a break now and again in the day time when im moving around.As for the crutches ive got 6 weeks on both to see out,and i must admit at 4.5 weeks im not quite ready to go down to one yet. But as you can see on this form most of us are given slightly different advice from our surgeons :rolleyespink:
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Tramadol and paracetamol - good stuff! :thumb:
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Hi Landlady
glad to hear tnhat you are recovering nicely. I would stick to the crutches till you have seen your surgeon, you wouldnt wanna go and undo their and your goos work just so you can stop using your crutches a few weeks early.
Take care
Jakx
 
Re: Heading to Week 3

Hiya Everyone, Today I went to the charity shop where I am a volunteer, I went armed with my cushion and my grabber and I did the till for 1 hour, It was nt busy and I have a seat behind the counter and another volunteer in the shop if I needed anything I could nt do.Its just so good to get back with the girls in the shop.I will not lift, bend, or carry. Then hubby picked me up and we went shopping round Lidl. Also this morning I rejoined slimming world and as I had nt been for 8 weeks I was pleased to have only gained 1 and half pounds, God that metal on metal hip must have been heavy. lol Linda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom