TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandbar425 that is a fantastic report! You are doing great!

I tried 3 minutes forward and one minute backward yesterday and then my knee was awoken and stiff again. Not sure if it was the bike but it might be. I will be interested in how that goes for you.

I went home from the hospital with crutches, not a cane. I have heard my crutches be called European crutches. They have the support behind the upper arm and do not have that underarm thing. In a sense, they are very much like canes, especially when using just one. I bought a walker for myself just so I could have something with a basket for the first few weeks when I needed to carry things hands free. Now I can use one or no crutches around the house, depending on my pain/swelling level. So, typically less in the morning but 2 crutches in the evening and at night. And 2 if I go outside for a walk. But, alas, we are snow covered so no outside walks for me at the moment.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @SuperSnapper It really is interesting how protocols for everything are so different forTKRs from PT to meds and all points in between. That's why the consistent BoneSmart mantra is so helpful! Was really tired yesterday and slept away much of afternoon and early evening. Plan to have a very low key day today with only ice, elevate, meds and rest. Will resume at home PT tomorrow. Hope you have a good Saturday. Check in with you later! :)

PS Kudos on the shower! Didn't it feel great?
 
Hi @LaxMom No snow for me but rain and wind keeping me indoors, too. Have you been hard hit by the east coast storm or is it just your average early winter snow?
 
Hi @sandbar525. I think we only got about 3-4 inches. The snow kept switching between snow and sleet - the worse kind of snow there is, in my opinion. It is very early to see this here, but not unheard of. The Western part of the state and New Hampshire got much more and also had lots of power outages due to the sleet. That, I would say, is a bit unusual for this early. But, in the last few years we have had some crazy weather! Anyway, even with just a few inches on the ground and clear, dry streets, my issue is the sidewalks are gone. I do not see myself as nimble enough to walk out in the street, even on my quiet street. So, for now, I am a house cat!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom Understand about the sleet. The nemisis out here is freezing rain resulting in black ice on the roads. Very trecherous! Pretty mild here today (cloudy and 38 F) but after full PT yesterday, I'm giving myself the day off to rest, ice and elevate!:)
 
Day 17: Pretty run of the mill day. A little light at home PT, rest, elevate, ice and meds on schedule. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I actually drove my car (with my daughter as passenger). Now that I am only on Tramadol, I'm anxious to be able to drive myself to PT and anti-coag and not have to depend on others to drive me. Fortunately, it is my left knee and I have an automatic vehicle. It is a crossover SUV and so a little higher and it was no trouble getting in or out. Only went a short distance to grocery store and, of course, waited in car while daughter ran in for a couple of things. The whole trip was probably 15 minutes round trip but boy did it feel great. One thing that I did learn, however, is that if I drive, I will need to take my walker to use when getting out of car and returning to home. I used cane to walk out front door and into car without any problem, but leg was too stiff after ride was finished and Katie had to get my walker so I could get back into the house. But all in all, a great sense of accomplishment. Feel I'm very close to being able to drive myself to PT and anti-coag (5 miles one way). Probably will shoot to start week after next. Hope everyone had a good Saturday and are enjoying a restful evening. Hugs all around! :)
 
Shoot ooooer - checks calender for ogre hunting season. Seriosly well done each new refound step is your new building blocks to a better life. - checks for laser light on chest.
 
@sandbar525 I can only imagine how satisfying the trip out must have been and the driving again. The sense of dependency on others is something I am having trouble with although I knew it would be like this, I wasnt quite prepared for the reality of it. That's great progress. I am really pleased for you.
Have an un exiting Sunday with lots of rest.
 
Driving, @sandbar525 !!! I am so impressed! I am still taking 3 dilaudin a day. I need to call tomorrow and adjust that so I can think about driving and getting to outpatient PT. So happy for you. My knee is the right one, so I wonder what driving will be like. I guess I have to make sure I have the strength to brake suddenly if needed.

I am thrilled for you. Sounds like you had a very good Saturday.
 
Good morning @LaxMom I hope you also had a good Saturday and are now off to an even better Sunday! It truly was so rewarding to be able to drive, even if only for a short time. It really is only because of the left knee/automatic transmission scenario. Not to be a wet blanket, but I know that if it would be my right knee, it would be a different story. Having to move operated right knee from gas to brake and back again might take a bit longer but it is definitely on the horizon for you. Hard to imagine that it will be 3 weeks on Tuesday for the 11/11s, isn't it? :)
 
@sandbar525 Glad our Vegas trip gave you a chuckle! We are back from camping, had a good time. Yippie for driving! That is a huge accomplishment!
[Bonesmart.org] 11/11/2014  -  my recovery journal
:happydance:
 
Congrats on the driving! I guess it is ok to drive while on Tramadol??? I think it will be quite awhile until I am ready to drive with my right leg and I am still on a bit of Oxy... although I have gotten it dropped back quite a bit.
 
@sandbar535 I think you are right about my driving. If heel slides are still difficult, gas and brakes will be harder. But hopefully not too long.

I knew this would be my most difficult surgery. It was always my worst joint. But someday.....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
3 weeks tomorrow: I'm at the point in my recovery where I think I will start posting weekly rather than daily updates. The daily progress of the first three weeks have settled down to the point where now things will be steadily improving but at a much slower pace. PT is down to once a week since I have my stationary bike at home plus my at home PT exercises. Still taking meds as prescribed and on schedule but now only Tramadol/Tylenol and evey six hours (8am-2pm-8pm-2am). Also continuing to ice and elevate most of the day. Able to drive my self to PT & anti-coag appts and using only cane or nothing around the house. Plan to return to work on 5 Jan 2015(only part time at first). All in all so pleased with the surgery and my recovery up to now. I'm grateful for the support and information from my fellow BoneSmarties (especially @LaxMom @SuperSnapper). Could not have done it without you. Hugs all around! :)
 
Great progress @sandbar525. Very pleased that this worked out so well for you. Happy 3rd"knee twin" birthday tomorrow. Thank you for s your support as well. Hugs!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Legin This recovery journey really is rather like a "quest" isn't it? :) The only thing that set today apart from yesterday was that I realized that perhaps using only the cane yesterday was a little premature. Later yesterday evening, I needed to switch back to the walker and today split cane/walker about 50%/50%. The mind was willing but the knee was weak!:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom