Guest viewing is limited

TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandbar525 , I had my one and only son at age 40. What a coincidence! I think of him as such a blessing. He is a HS senior this year, heading off to college next year. It will be some time before I see grandchildren too. For now, I borrow my sIster's. :)
 
Day 13: Best day ever! OK...I'll start at the beginning. 9:30 outpatient PT for 1/2 hour. Had a different physio than first 2 appts and felt I really connected with the new one today. Hard to say exactly what was different but it was just an overall sense of being well-tended and cared for. His approach was that we would move to pressure but never to pain. Also, he was present and engaged throughout the entire session. First guy put me on the recumbent and then I didn't see him until time was up. So now Jim is my PT guy going forward. Next appt is Friday.

Then is was on to 10:15 appt at anti-coag clinic all the way at the other end of the hospital. My sister got a wheelchair and off we went. INR reading was 1.4 (a little below range of 1.8-2.3) but considering it had soared all the way to 4.7, it was good news. Have my dosage set and will go back on Friday for next finger stick.

Moving right along, then it was off to 11:15 at OS office (only 2 miles down the road from hospital) for 2 week follow up and staple removal. OS and his staff were delighted with how incision is healing and thrilled with my ROM (105/0). Staple removal not too bad at all. Had 27 staples and only a few of them stung when coming out. Now just have steri-strips which will fall off on there own. Said I was ahead of the 2 week curve and to keep doing what I was doing (rest, ice, elevate and meds on schedule). Dropped meds down from dialaudid to combo of Tramadol/Tylenol and Norco. Staying with dialaudid (4 mg every 4 hours) for the rest of today and tonight and then will switch to new protocol tomorrow. I will post how it goes. My OS gave me A++ and said he would see me in a month for my 6 week checkup.

From there it was home and to bed where I took my 12:00 dose, put on Cyro-cuff, elevated and promptly fell asleep. Both sisters stayed and then sister Kathy fixed her world famous pork enchiladas, rice & beans for dinner. I'm now back in bed (8:00 meds, iced, elevated) and ready for my after dinner nap! :) Best wishes to all of my fellow Bonesmarties. You are such a big part of my positive recovery and I can't thank the organizers and members of this forum enough. Sweet dreams and hugs all around!
 
Wow @sandbar525 - that is an outstanding report! Good for you. So happy with your progress. I'll be interested to see what you think of the new meds tomorrow. Have a good night!
 
Brilliant progress! Wow! Hope the new meds do the job. Sounds like such a good day for you. Your PT sounds perfect and now you know his approach you'll feel much more confident you can enjoy the sessions. I think that's really important. Hope you are not too tired today after all the buzz :yahoo::yahoo:

Mary
 
Hi @SuperSnapper Just woke up for my midnight meds. Since I slept so much this afternoon & evening as a result of my busy day, I'm awake for a little bit (probably not too long! :)) Thought I'd check in BS and saw your post. Your spot on about my new PT and this confidence his attitude allows me to feel. I'm looking forward to my PT on Friday. Haven't quite got the time difference sorted out so not sure what time it is in UK. Whatever the time, is must be getting very close to your big day. The fact that the waiting is over for you feels a little like being able to finally take a full deep breath, doesn't it? With all of the preparation you have done, you are so ready to take on the next step. As so many folks on the forum have stated, the surgery actually feels almost anti-climactic! It acts as a place holder between the pre-op waiting and the actual process of recovery (where all the fun begins:))! You're going to do great and, remember, you have so many people pulling for you from the BS sidelines. Best wishes and a big hug wending it's way across the pond! Talk to you on the other side once you are able. Also remember, no need to rush anything. Everything going forward is on your timeline. Your knee, and you by proxy, are in charge!:)
 
@sandbar525 Great 2 week report! I am so happy for your that your recovery is progressing so well. A PT that you trust and that shares your goal is a great incentive in your recovery!
 
Oooooo I make a mean enchilada but happy to taste others, made tortilla pie last night num num

Legin THR Sep 14
 
"Also remember, no need to rush anything. Everything going forward is on your timeline. Your knee, and you by proxy, are in charge!"

You are a wise woman, @sandbar525! I hope today continues to be a good day for you.

On the suggestion of my therapist, I started to massage the sore spots on my knee. Fingers crossed, it seems to help a little bit today.
 
Good morning @LaxMom Well 8:00 is first dose of new med protocol (Tramadol/Tylenol). Here's hoping it keeps me on course. Please let me know a little more about your massage technique for the sore spots on your knee. I've tried rubbing in a circular motion on the two spots that are most swollen (one on the inside & below knee and one on the outside above the knee). It seems to offer a little relief but would love to get new massage tips from you. Just think, 2 weeks ago today was our surgery. For me, it sometimes feel as if these last 2 weeks were one very long day!:) I'm excited about the progress we have made in a pretty short period of time. I know there are bound to be ups and downs still to come but I feel totally prepared to take on whatever comes this way. Happy knee birthday...enjoy the rest of your day. Oh PS...even after really hectic appointment day yesterday (3 appointments in 3 hours at 3 different locations) the only appreciable after effect was that my leg seemed a little restless last night and it was a little harder to settle down into a comfortable position for sleeping sometimes. Now looking forward to a nice stretch of no appointments until Friday. Have a good one and catch up with you again later.
 
@sandbar525, I do love your positive attitude. Doing this right after doing my hip, sometimes I find myself running out of steam and getting impatient with my progress. I am so fortunate to have you to center me.

Yesterday, my therapist stretched out my leg and it hurt! She tried to be slow and gentle and I did get the extension back, but it was a bit of a rough day. The knee swelled at that point, and that was that. Although, the good news is somehow I got to 110 while doing stair lunges.

Today I am taking it slow and peaceful. Did my first exercises around 8 am then ice and elevation. Next try will be about 2 pm when the Tramadol has taken effect.

I do hope you like the Tramadol. I guess the new meds are less string than the dilaudin.

Knee massage - my worst pain is right where yours is inner knee a bit low. It is as if it is the top of the tibia. In terms of technique, do what comes natural. I was massaging it yesterday and my therapist just said to keep doing it. I dig in there and provide some circular pressure. Then I do the same thing down the length of my scar. The above the knee part of it is lumpy and it stings when I first try to bend. The gentle message just helps break up any adhesions according to the therapist. It does feel better today.

Today I noticed I can sit down like a normal person - without my operated leg sticking out straight. I am trying to hold onto these small victories and feel good about them. But, man, it is hard to do! This has been a very long road for me. While this is week 2 on the knee, it is really week 7 for me and sometimes it feels like there is no end in sight. And so, I try to focus on the little victories.

Happy 2 week knee! I am grateful for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today I noticed I can sit down like a normal person - without my operated leg sticking out straight. I am trying to hold onto these small victories and feel good about them.
These "small victories" actually mean so much in our pursuit of a normal lifestyle!
 
Hi @LaxMom Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel so lucky to have you as my knee-twin! Sometimes when I experience something new around my knee I think...oh, I have to check in with LaxMom and see what she has to say! :) I've only had the first dose of Tramadol/Tylenol and it seems that it might make me feel a little more tired than the dialaudid, but it could be that I'm just a little more tired this morning anyhow. Have to wait until the next couple of doses under my belt for a better evaluation. The good news is that it didn't cause any nausea and I'm grateful for that. Thanks for the feedback on massage. I'm going to keep it up, too. I do think it helps with the aching and swelling. It certainly doesn't cause any pain so it's not doing any harm. Well, it might be time for my before lunch nap! Check back in with you later. Slow and peaceful seem like the words for today! :)
 
@sandbar525 - the tramadol absolutely put me to sleep the first few days. In a way, I was glad for it because the medication crisis last Friday was a bit traumatic, so sleep felt good. I can say that after 2 days, I do not get as drowsy from the tramadol. Hopefully you will have the same experience.

I am about to post my 2 week update on my own thread, that is going to be a "small victory" theme. It will be good to focus on all the positives and to have that diary for when I get ready for knee #2. Thank you @referee54 for the reinforcement of that idea! Stay tuned!

Then it is nap time! Sweet dreams.
 
Haven't been able to walk on the beach for the last couple of years. That's one of the things I'm really looking forward to doing in a few months.
This is one of my goals, also! I had gotten to the point where I could not walk on the beach without a whole lot of paraphernalia with me: a portable chair, my cane, backpack with camera, etc. and it took hours for me to get across the width of the beach to the surfline, stopping every few feet to set up the chair so I could rest. Walking up the beach or down the beach was not an option.

This particular beach, just north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, is one I have been going to off and on since my childhood. It's very special to me, and I am nowhere near ready to give it up!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Overall switching from dialaudid (4mg 4x/day) to Tramadol/Tylenol (50mg/650mg 4x/day) plus Norco (5/325 3x/day)seems to effectively handling the pain, it seems like I now might be among those post-op people that don't seem to be able to sleep too well at night. Only first night experiencing this so will wait to see how it goes. Do nap quite a bit on and off so certain am getting enough cummulative sleep, just doesn't seem to be coming at night.
 
Oops...that should have read dilaudid (4mg 6x/day) for what I was originally taking for pain relief.
 
Do not despair, @sandbar525 - I think that happened to me too. I bet you slept most of the day yesterday. As you get accustomed to the tramadol, your normal sleep cycle will return. Yesterday I took one solid 'lights out, nobody home' nap from 3 to 4:30. Great sleep but not too long. Last night, I took my tramadol at 11:30 (half hour early), woke to go to the bsthroom, and then slept through to 6:30 am. It will happen for you, I am sure. Especially since you were sleeping better than most. Blame it on the transition and don't stress!

I am guessing you will have 1-2 more sleepy days and then you will be bs k to normal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@LaxMom Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are exactly right. Since switching to Tramadol I have been sleeping most of the day away.:) Tonight just took me by surprise since I have been sleeping quite well at night. As you say, I won't worry about it and just relax and let the transition to the new drug protocol work itself out. I sure do appreciate your support. Think I'll try to read a bit and see if sleep will come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom