TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandbar525 Wanted to stop by and say Happy Thanksgiving. My hubby says that lack of sleep is the worse thing about his TKRs. He still has some restless nights. It is slowly getting better though!
[Bonesmart.org] 11/11/2014  -  my recovery journal
 
Hi @tiredwife I guess I knew the dreaded sleepless night would appear soon or later. I'm hoping it was caused by the change in my pain med protocol to a lower dose. All in all my recovery has gone pretty smoothly so far so this is just a small hiccup in what I know is still a long journey left to go. I wanted to thank you for all your support during my post-op waiting period. You really made that time easier to bear and I appreciate all the good advice you gave to me. I certainly have a lot to be thankful for this year! Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving camping trip. I look forward to reading about it when you return. Have a wonderful time! :)
 
@sandbar525 Want to know what hubby says is the second worse thing about TKR? Prune juice for the constipation!:heehee: It will get better! Each knee has it's own time line though. I haven't been on your thread as much as I should have. My thread gets a little uh....crazy at times. Have to keep an eye on them. Have a great day.
 
@tiredwife Fortunately, I didn't mind the prune juice! Started it right away and then add Smooth Moves (a tea containing senna). Suffice it to say, has not been a problem since day 4! :)
 
Day 15: All in all a good day today. Feel like I'm settling into the Tramadol/Tylenol routine and wasn't as sleepy during the day. Actually walked outside for a few minutes(using my walker of course) and that felt great. Tested to see if I could get into drivers seat of my car and was able to do that without any problem. Since left knee is my operated knee and car is automatic, feel I will be driving soon at least to PT and anti-coag appts which will be so nice. Spent today in the living room and now have just relocated back to bedroom for the night. Hopeful that I will have better night's sleep since I was awake more during the day today. We shall see! Sweet dreams to everyone and hugs all around. :)
 
Grand stuff yup I got an automatic when I did my achillies. But be carefull as car independanc also means more walking as in when you get there.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow US bonesmarties. Short post because I will probably be nodding off in a bit. Had a very good night's sleep...9:30 to 4:30, only waking twice for scheduled pain meds. I think my body has adjusted to switch to Tramadol/Tylenol. @Legin I am really only looking to be able to get myself to PT and anti-coag appts at first but will definitely take your advice about not overdoing to heart...thanks! :)
 
No problem I seriously overdid it and found my self 2 miles from car and exausted- hey Im male what you expect

Legin THR Sep 14
 
So glad you are getting your meds all settled. When I saw the PA for staples he didn't change up any of my meds, just told me to cut back. He didn't give me much more oxy.. so I am cutting back and saving, but I have a lot left over from my last knee so I am not too concerned. Hope you have a wonderful and restful Thanksgiving!
 
Milestone for today, Day 16: Was able to pedal 1 minute forward and 1 minute backwards on my upright stationary bike at home (seat at highest setting and no tension). Also did 10 step ups leading with operated leg (with walker over my aerobic step about 5" high). PT and finger stick appts tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good day and are on the way to a restful evening. Hugs all around! :)
 
@sandbar525 everytime I read your posts they are so positive they make me feel better. I am only day 3 and was feeling a bit fed up but I know that's silly. You are doing so very well. Keep on posting. Great news on the pedalling. I had my first shower today and ate my first proper meal albeit a tiny one but small steps will get us there in the end . Sending you a huge hug x
 
@sandbar525 , great news on the bike! You inspired me to add a minute backwards on the bike, it is a great idea. Hope the day is going well!
 
Hi @sandbar525 just checking in on you and it appears you're making great strides in your recovery, congrats!
I'm 2 weeks post-op today but I don't have my OS follow-up til Tuesday. They switched me over to Tramadol as well. It took a couple days to adjust but now it's working great; no nausea and weird dreams from the oxycodone anymore.

Keep up the great work!
 
Had a really good PT today. Increased time on recumbent bike to 5 minutes total. Did the first 2 minutes with the seat at same setting as last time and then he moved it forward one notch so was bending a little more for the last 3 minutes. Did 2 sets of 10 step ups and then some stretching and very slight resistance moves. Also practiced using a cane because he saw that I needed very little assistance from walker. Told me to switch to cane occasionally but only around the house. Continue to use walker when outside or if at any time I felt it was necessary. Also suggested I continue on my upright bike at home and increase by 1 additional minute each day. Really like my PT guy. Feel he would definitely get the BoneSmart seal of approval! Spent the rest of the day/evening icing, elevating and taking meds on schedule. Appetite still off but not causing any worries. Just eat a little around every six hours and make sure to always include protein. Well, that's my day. Hope everyone had a good healing day and is on the way to a restful night. Hugs all around! :)
 
That's a great report again @sandbar525 , PT is going so well for you. It's interesting how different it is here. I'm on two canes - was in the walker for a day but was given canes to go home. The physio said to use both until I have my follow up appointment. I can manage on one in the house after a couple of weeks though.
Hope you slept well after that busy day, you deserved to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom