TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandbar525 ohhhhhh yes and so much is trial and ooooopsie error. But you are doing it right checking for progress assessing it after and making best decision. I know its so.easy.to.go off like Casey Jones round the mountain but weee stages is best. Errrrrrrrrrr I have.a.hole in.my ankle as testimont to that but hey I am male hence thinking isn't my forte

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sandbar525 - I follow a similar path. I might start the day with no crutches or cane but end the day with 2 crutches.
 
Had an exciting event today. Dropped seat down a notch on my stationary bike and managed 10 minutes without problem 2x today. Of course, iced and elevated after each ride but really felt like quite an accomplishment. Everything else is fairly status quo. Sure wish swelling would go down some more but probably won't see too much improvement until done with Warfarin (another 2-1/2 weeks). Hope everyone is doing well...hugs all around! :)
 
@sandbar525 - once again doctors are so different. I stop warfarin next Monday. I did not realize it causes swelling. Are you thinking your knee will have less swelling?

Great news on the bike!!! You are doing great!

hugs!
 
Hi @LaxMom OS has me on Warfarin for 6 weeks because I developed 2 DVTs after my arthroscopic surgery in 2007. Guess he is playing it safe. At my pre-op apt he told me that being on Warfarin would inhibit the swelling from going down until I no longer was taking it. Haven't really heard that on any other postings but, as you say, each OS seems just a little different. I think of everything that is going on, the persistent swelling is the hardest thing I'm dealing with right now. Of course, it's late at night and I'm a little sorer and a little stiffer so feeling a bit sorry for myself. Things will look brighter in the morning! :) Hope you have a good rest.
 
@sandbar525 nice to hear from you but sorry to hear about the swelling. I hadn't heard that either about blood thinners and swelling but I'm on zarelto which I stop in three days so I'll watch my swollen knee with interest.
Mine is worse at night too and last night I just couldn't seem to get anything right and was not comfortable at all. I expect there will be nights and days like this.
Hope thing look more cheerful for you today.
Sending you a hug.:console2:
 
@sandbar525 - makes sense why you have a few more weeks to go. Very wise. I read in the educational info sent out by my hospital that the greatest risk is 6 weeks post-op. it makes me wonder why most stop the TEDS stockings and Warfarin at week 4. Not that I am complaining! I am happy to be done with the meds. And, if they do cause swelling, it will be an added bonus to get rid of a little bit more swelling!

I hope you have a good day! Hugs!
 
I read in the educational info sent out by my hospital that the greatest risk is 6 weeks post-op. it makes me wonder why most stop the TEDS stockings and Warfarin at week 4. Not that I am complaining! I am happy to be done with the meds. And, if they do cause swelling, it will be an added bonus to get rid of a little bit more swelling!

I haven't heard that about the greatest time of risk. I would have thought that by 6 weeks you are up and moving about enough to decrease the risk of DVT. Let's ask @Josephine to clarify for us!
 
@Celle I also thought that as one became more active, the DVT risk went down. Hope that is the case. I know I'll be happy when six weeks is up and no more finger stick appts and, best of all, no more TEDS...although I know there is a split decision on whether the TEDS are necessary or not. I have to confess that I am leaving them off longer and longer now that I'm more active! :)

@LaxMom Gave myself permission to have a simply lazy day today! :) No particular reason, just decided to "play hooky"...no PT, only rest, ice and elevate. Tomorrow I'll get back into the routine. I have to admit it feels nice. Have a great day and a restful night!
 
Actually everyone is at risk of DVT all the time though certain things exacerbate it such as long haul flights, cellulitis, etc. So far as the post-op risk goes, it's a case of diminishing risk so the period of about 2-3 weeks post-op would be the greatest though it wouldn't reduce to 'normal' until around 6-8 weeks. That's my understanding, anyway. I certainly wouldn't put a specific date on it.
 
@sandbar525, I pretty much played hookey today. Was not quite as chipper as yesterday. Who knows why!

Did you ever get your TENS unit? Curious to see if you like it.

I hope you had a good day. Hugs.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @LaxMom Did get the TENS unit. So far have only used it once. Not sure if it made any difference at this time but certainly didn't make anything worse. Today is a double apt (finger stick & PT) later this afternoon. Really enjoyed a lazy weekend. Think I'm feeling a bit in the doldrums right now. This is probably par for the course when approaching week 4. Not seeing much improvement on either ROM or swelling so just taking it a day at a time. Hope you have a good Monday!
 
Hi @sandbar525 I hear what you are saying. Last week I was in the doldrums. This week, i have had a bit more progress in that I weaned off the dilaudin, drove my car for the first time today, and started outpatient PT. That is all old news for you, but I am excited to just finally be there. I also get to stop Coumadin today and stop wearing the TED stockings. I know you have 2 more weeks, but that seems like a smart thing for you. Anyway, my friend, this is a long and frustrating road, no doubt about it. Hang in there, you are doing great!

I think the TENs unit gives me improvement while I use it and maybe a little window beyond that. But it does not give a great improvement.

We are at the 4 week marker! That much closer to feeling like ourselves again! :dancy:
 
Week 4: Unbelievable that surgery was 4 weeks ago tomorrow! Here's my weekly progress report.

Found out it was a good idea to take, what other bonesmarties call a knee-cation last weekend. Did nothing but rest, ice, elevate and medicate on schedule both Saturday and Sunday. The results were a great PT appointment today. ROM 115/0. I've been going to out patient PT twice a week for 30 minutes each since day 6. It has been very gentle with a routine of gentle stretches, building up on recumbent bike, small step ups and ending with a few more gentle stretches. Today, Jim my PT guy and I decided that I would continue on my own since I have a stationary bike and a step at home, plus my stretching exercises. Happy that it is one less weekly appt to have to go to. Then went from PT to finger stick. INR is 1.6, still a little below low range goal of 1.8 but OK. Will be done with anti-coag on 12/23 and I am looking forward to that date.

One new thing I did today was stop at the grocery store on the way home from my appts. It was the first time I've gone into a store. I have a temporary parking permit, so was able to park close to the entrance. Used my cane and then relied on the cart for support. Only got a few items and was shopping at 3:00 in the afternoon on a weekday therefore no crowds or checkout lines so went smoothly. It felt really nice to run a normal errand. Of course, once I got home, it was on the couch, icing for the rest of the afternoon and evening and now it is in bed, icing! :ice:

Still contending with swelling, although it has gone down a bit. Also, quite a bit of heat on and around knee from time to time. I realize that is all part of the healing process. I'm going to continue with my routine and add activity sparingly while also being sure to take occasional rest days to let knee catch up. Planning to go back to work in another 4 weeks and feel I will be ready (starting part-time) but will take it a day at a time.

I can state with guarded optimism that I feel as if I've turned a corner and am headed towards normal. I also know that one episode of over-doing it can cause a set back so will try very hard to avoid such an episode. Well, that's it for this weeks report. I hope everyone is doing well. Best wishes and hugs all around! :hugzz:
 
@sandbar525 Really good to read your weekly report! It's lovely to read the details and see how far you have come. Your reports continue to encourage me.
It seems you've made several major steps towards independence today. I am going out for my first trip today just a short one out for a coffee with my husband but it seems a big deal! Silly isn't it?
It's really useful to know that you are still having heat from your knee at 4 weeks. Mine still gets quite hot every day but now I won't worry if it keeps on doing it. I suppose it's all the bits knitting together.
Now remember to keep taking care - although I can see you are doing that with your knee cation.
Very best wishes for week 5!

Mary x
 
Well done @sandbar525! I bet that trip to PT took care of any doldrums you had earlier. It is amazing how a little independence lifts the spirits - not to mention that great ROM report. You are a star! So happy for you. Congratulations!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom