Guest viewing is limited

THR 1 year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard of that. Sorry. There is a procedure for dysplasia (PAO) and there are mixed messages about that. If you talk to a PAO surgeon, they strongly suggest it. If you talk to a THR surgeon, they will tell you that many women that get PAO's end up in their offices in a few years, asking for a THR. Same thing with arthroscopic surgery for labral tears and impingement. I have a mild labral tear and cam impingement in my other hip. When speaking with a surgeon that does that scope surgery, she was very eager to do it. When asking THR surgeons about it, they cautioned me that the results are not always good from arthroscopic hip surgeries and many patients end up needing a THR within a few years of a scope. I decided to just wait it out for the THR. Seems like a scope might escalate the need for the THR anyway. I will say that I was overcompensating badly before THR and my right was hurting pretty badly. Now that I've had THR on my left, I have less pain in the right side because I am not overcompensating so much. You might want to wait and see how you feel about it after you have recovered from THR. My point in saying all of the above is... be careful to get all of the info. before you decide. I would ask my THR surgeon what he thinks about something to prevent or delay THR..... you may get different opinions based on who you are speaking with. Some surgeons can be "enthusiastic" about their method. I've found its best to speak with as many people as possible before deciding.
 
@younghippie
Oh my goodness. Thank for for filling me in. This is so overwhelming. I need to get some more information concerning my specific situation


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know it is very overwhelming. Just keep your chin up and know that you are blessed to have the medical care that you do. At least we have some help and it can be fixed. :flwrysmile: You will be wise beyond your years when this is all behind you and it will help you have a fuller and brighter future.
 
@Keecamp everyone heals differently. After the docs saw my X-Rays and found that I had continued to run they told me I had a high tolerance for pain. The pain made me quit running so I don't know about that.
The pain was bad enough to wake me up three years prior to surgery. But it never hurt when I ran until the last three times I put on running shoes.
So, even though I should have had it replaced a long time ago, I did not know. The running actually helped the strength and flexibility. At seven months post-surgery, bending over and picking something up was still sketchy some days. Even at 14-months, occasionally I feel a twinge picking up a sock or a cat toy. They get fewer and farther apart. I have also learned to bend my knees more. The only typical recovery is your recovery so don't get disheartened by those who appear to have a faster recovery than yours.
I am on several committees and boards of directors so I sit at a lot of different chairs in many different conference rooms. Standing up after meetings is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your are going to get. Sometimes, the new hip takes four or five steps to work itself out. Then, there is the occasional day usually accompanied by a drop in barometric pressure when I am aware that I have a new hip most of the day. Still, that is better than what I had before.
It will get better over time but I have resigned myself to accepting that it is a replacement part...
As my primary care physician told me, my warranty has expired



Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Do you think if I go see my surgeon and get him to write me a letter for extra Physio sessions...would I have to pay out of pocket or will it be covered like my previous sessions?
I am in the UK so I can't really comment on whether your sessions would be covered. I went to my GP and asked for a referral.
I'm just concerned because I was told that there's a 20%-30% chance of developing AVN in my right hip resulting in needed surgery. But if I catch it in time I can get a graph instead of a complete THR.
Take it from one who has just gone through a second THR - at the first sign of any pain or discomfort get that x-ray and THR. Recovery is SO much easier if you don't let the damage continue to build. I personally would not agree to anything except THR. Too many reports of resurfacing only resulting in THR shortly after.
 
@younghippie :) Hello, I too had LTHR done 4 months ago. I had AVN also. Once I started having my pain, it was within 1 year before I had surgery done. I too am still filling the pains and severe tightness with the groin pain. I believe now that things will get better. Listen to everyone out there. We've all experienced the surgery. WE ALL heal at a different pace. Your not alone! Take it SLOW! I have been frustrated, depressed and even ticked off at times. It's all part of the process. Trust me, YOU WILL GET BETTER! :) By the way, do you have AVN in your other hip? I was told I did and will need THR once my surgical hip gets healed 1st (1 year). Well, I wish you a most positive and timely healing along with everyone else out there.:) It doesn't hurt to pray! Take care, Scott
 
I'm 50, and I limped severely for at least five years because I was diagnosed with fibro and lower back issues. We never took a hip xray until I had a meltdown this past August. Unfortunately, I am learning that the longer you go with the pain, the more time it takes to recover. As others have said, everything has to reorganize and realign, and I'm with you...it ain't any fun.
I'm at 5 1/2 weeks out right now, and I have not exhibiting the patience that many here advocate for. I know that I should, but my brain believed all of the "you will feel amazing probably in the recovery room" things that everyone, including the surgeon said to me. I'm struggling to reset my thinking to the reality of it, and I get frustrated and, quite honestly, sort of scared when things seem to be at a standstill.
The words you read here are very very accurate. Time and patience are all that we have to help us get better. We can do our exercises and follow all of the prescribed plans, but we didn't get this way overnight and it won't get better that fast either, no matter how much I wish it would be different.
We're here for you, and I've found that this place has been a godsend for me, even if members would like to smack me because I'm jumping too many guns. We're going through it with you, and as someone mentioned, the doctors have no idea what it is like because they do the surgery, but they don't do the recovery.
Take care of yourself, and let's try to be more patient together. :)

Lynn
 
@dougie0216

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I can't believe that you were able to run for so long, I was barely able to walk properly much less run..

Do you think running prior to surgery helped you recover quickly?

And I will keep that "expired" saying in mind, haha.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey
I am petrified at the idea of another THR. I am grateful for the my LTHR that I did a few months ago. But I hope to never have to replace my other hip.

How are you keeping up with 2 hip replacements?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp - I can't say I felt much different than you about a second THR. But I was determined not to wait for the second one and it really did pay off. My RTHR was really quite easy! Speedy recovery, no restrictions and outside of a few aches once in awhile - both hips are forgotten hips.
 
Hi all,

I had a LTHR 7 months ago. I had severe AVN which lead to my surgery.

However I was also told 2 years ago that there's a 20% - 30% chance of me developing AVN in my other (right) hip. But if I catch it in time before the bone collapses then I can do a day-surgery, which is a bone grafts instead of another THR.

From what I was told a bone grafts is basically like a mesh they put over your bone to protect it from further damage.

Does anyone know of this procedure?
I don't know how common this is because all I hear about are THRs or revision surgeries



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
However I was also told 2 years ago that there's a 20% - 30% chance of me developing AVN in my other (right) hip. But if I catch it in time before the bone collapses then I can do a day-surgery, which is a bone graph instead of another THR. From what I was told a bone graph is basically like a mesh they put over your bone to protect it from further damage.
The word is graft, not graph! Who told you about the mesh? The kind of procedure done for this is Core Decompression of the hip. They have a mixed success but as you said, done early enough can be successful.
 
Hi @Josephine,

Oh, thank you for the correction. I edited the words in the thread but can't edit the title of it.

And thank you for telling me the formal term for it, I will read up on it some more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jolly good. But you never told me where you heard about the mesh? I'm curious!
 
@Josephine
I remember being told that from a doctor about 2 years ago (not my surgeon who actually did my THR). That's the way he explained it to me. That they do not replace your bone and put a replacement...instead they protect your bone from further damage with this "mesh" on top of it which is referred to as a graft.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, okay - wonder that he had in mind? I've never heard of a procedure like that.
 
@Josephine

I haven't heard of it either other than that time 2 years ago, that's why I asked if anyone else knows more about it.
I never went back to see that doctor so I'm just as curious as you are.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all,

It's been a few months since I came on here. I felt such a sense of community amongst others who've had hip replacements was a comforting feeling. Especially being a person in their 20s going through such a major operation. So I thank you all

I recently started a new job about 1.5 months ago. I work in an office and I'm sitting down for most of the day but I also have to walk up and down a flight of stairs to see a co-worker or my boss... I feel as though my body is not use to me being this active. I say this because I frequently have swollen ankles and knees by the end of the day. And it hurts to walk by the end of the work week sometimes. I have not been exercising since my physio ended nearly 8 months ago and my operated hip feels a little stiff, on top of that I still can't reach my feet without a little struggle.

Sometimes I take pain killers and soak my feet in warm water, I get a foot rub from my boyfriend but I can't ice my swollen ankles and feet due to a health related condition so that's not even a question.
I am also a part-time student with a full-time job so I haven't been "on the go" like this since before I had my hip replacement over a year ago.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be concerned about because I really don't know what to do about my daily swelling. I was thinking of joining the gym near my workplace to help with my mobility and also just to have a healthier lifestyle.

Please let me know your thoughts and your 1 year post-op experience.

:)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
you might try rigging your desk so that for some of the time, you can sit with your legs up on something (the desk, a 2nd chair, etc) with maybe a supportive pillow underneath?

I find sitting, and I'm only at day 17 this morning so obviously a different situation than yours, but I find sitting to be bad for my swelling. When I play bridge, I get up and walk a lap as often as I can, which is at least every time I switch tables (~3 hands played per table).
You might try walking a lap every 15 minutes all day?

and I still have these compression stockings on, until I have full control of any swelling. Are you wearing those any more?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom